The Mhaldor Thread.

12345679»

Comments

• Cazin knows how to use a catapult. Catapult + Gothic architecture = mess.
  • I would sooner be caught dead than in a pink dress, but I do like gothic architecture.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• edited January 2013
    To be really clear yet again, nothing I said has anything to do with the current leadership directly. I can't tell if anyone thought that's what I was getting at or if this just took a turn in that direction independently, but again: that is not what I was getting at.

I wasn't trying to point any fingers because I don't think there are any good places to point. Xenomorph seems to be doing a fine job and most of the rest of the leadership is doing quite well too. I actually liked the "yes-men" thing and, like Ruth, I see no inherent problem with nepotism.

I was trying to address more systematic issues - issues that don't have to do with the leadership in power, but the structure of the leadership itself and how authority and responsibility are distributed in that structure (and how that has changed over time and what the ramifications of that change seem to be).
  • Lodi said:
    Sorry, but no way does Romanesque cut the mustard. :) Its just so...  plain.

Edit: Reply to your above edit: Ha! You know we're going to have to go down the Gothic root just to piss you guys off now don't you? :D We'll do it better anyway.

My Goth is better than your Goth.

• I actually agree about Romanesque. That's essentially my prefered Mhaldorian aesthetic. Plain, utilitarian, orderly, and monolithic. Gothic strikes me as really inappropriate even if it does evoke a conventional evil-theocratic mood (which is (a small) part of why the Cathedral's descriptions bother me so much).

I'm curious to see what the new buildings will be - perhaps this will be taken as an opportunity to slowly start shifting the aesthetic? I think there's room for both the more gruesome architecture and something that pushes the concept of Evil ultimately being about rigid order and hierarchy. They're not fundamentally incompatible if done right. You don't need dirty hovels to have gruesome architecture and you don't need gleaming white marble to have monolithic, orderly architecture.

Think less decrepit shacks with dirty toilets or ultraclean city of the future, and more ziggurats stained with the blood of sacrificial victims.
  • The Russians were are some evil authoritarian bastards and have some beautiful architecture and unique palette.  Nothing like a fortress of terror in sun-splashed yellow, or sky blue, or just a nice simple pale stone with shiny domes on top :P  It just really sets the mood for oppressing peasants.  

• Tael said:
    I actually agree about Romanesque. That's essentially my prefered Mhaldorian aesthetic. Plain, utilitarian, orderly, and monolithic. Gothic strikes me as really inappropriate even if it does evoke a conventional evil-theocratic mood (which is (a small) part of why the Cathedral's descriptions bother me so much).

I'm curious to see what the new buildings will be - perhaps this will be taken as an opportunity to slowly start shifting the aesthetic? I think there's room for both the more gruesome architecture and something that pushes the concept of Evil ultimately being about rigid order and hierarchy. They're not fundamentally incompatible if done right. You don't need dirty hovels to have gruesome architecture and you don't need gleaming white marble to have monolithic, orderly architecture.

Think less decrepit shacks with dirty toilets or ultraclean city of the future, and more ziggurats stained with the blood of sacrificial victims.

I get first dibs on all forged macahuitls.

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Hayte said:

Carmell. CARMELL

Wulfen let in Latus. Made him Minister of Security!

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Tael said:
    I actually agree about Romanesque. That's essentially my prefered Mhaldorian aesthetic. Plain, utilitarian, orderly, and monolithic. Gothic strikes me as really inappropriate even if it does evoke a conventional evil-theocratic mood (which is (a small) part of why the Cathedral's descriptions bother me so much).

This is assuming, honestly, that any of the new buildings proposed (and there were only one or two) get approved at all, but I suppose we can wait and see.

It's a little difficult with how the city is presently to really shift too much towards a 'grander' look, at least not too abruptly, or it just looks forced. It's something I'm (very very slowly) trying to change, or at least as much as I'm allowed to, but honestly to make any huge changes it would pretty much require renovation of a pretty massive scale, and I don't think we're going to have an opportunity at that until we get gods. (/eternally optimistic)
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Herenicus said:
    Carmell. CARMELL
    Wulfen let in Latus. Made him Minister of Security!
    That kind of stuff's been going on since the very beginning though. There were a small handful of prominent Churchies that peaced out on Pentharian the moment it seemed as though Sartan was going to escape his prison and turn it into a city. They were welcomed with open arms. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing in most cases.
  • Yeah, but you're a hater, man.
  • Don't forget washout!
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Ruth said:

Arador said:

Give someone a chance and if they fail, kicking someone out of Mhaldor is not as messy as a divorce.

Hmmmm. I seem to know a few recent situations that proved otherwise.

Nonetheless, it's never a 'no, never' to people who apply to Mhaldor. Even Mhaldorian enemies who get unenemied to try and join us is given a chance too (see: Santar). If they're determined, they'll make it a second time round. Unless the CL blocks you. Then you're kind of screwed. :D

Fortunately we have a Tyrannus willing to give people a chance.

Except Cooper, of course.

• edited February 2013
    http://red.bikeshed.com/
    http://green.bikeshed.com/

(Edit: Intended as a general statement that has nothing to do with recent events or any individuals or whatever.)