The Mhaldor Thread.

Comments

• Cartoony Evil is so overdone in Mhaldor. You need more style than feeding kittens to piranhas.
  • edited January 2013
    What if they're Madelyne's kittens?
  • @Xenomorph: I neither dislike you, nor your character, personally. And Xenomorph might indeed be a great and loyal guy in your house and city. I have no way of judging that. All I can see from my outside perspective is the image Xenomorph presents to the outside world, and here, he's simply more known for being quick with an obscene insult and for a "kill first, ask later"-attitude than for all the redeeming qualities he may have. Many remember him more as a "thug" than as a calm and calculating strategist, which doesn't help Mhaldor to be perceived as quite the deep-RP city it could be. This doesn't mean your character doesn't have a place in Mhaldor or Achaea, I just question his place as its figurehead.

Oh, and the comment about "good rapiers" wasn't meant as a jibe at your combat abilities. "His rapiers hurt and he curses" are just two of the things that come to my mind first when I think "Xenomorph".
  • Xenomorph said:
    Iocun said:
    I'm really not quite sure why Xenomorph was picked as city leader. I mean, he makes you lol enough and I guess he's somewhat "badass", but he's just not quite the material for city leader of an RP-heavy city. Having good rapiers and cursing a lot just isn't all it takes.

-I served as GM of the Infernals Guild in Ashtan back around, oh, 2001-2002 I think it was.

-Anyways. Iocun, I really don't know who you are, but I hope you are happy reaching combat levels I achieved years ago. I may not fight much anymore, but once upon a time I burned babies by the bonfire and smashed in enough heads to make 10 ashtrays for every player. I've forgotten more than you know.

-PS: You should all be a lot more thankful of High Lord Vadimuses. He gave you the ability to compete with the old guard rather than watch you fend for yourself.

Bold point #1: Is it really fair to put GM of the Infernals on your curriculum vitae? It was barely a week long. Hwolf contested you within hours of being elected.

Bold point #2: I can't tell if srs or if forum arpee.  At any rate, you weren't some amazing combatant years ago so stop acting all hard. When it came to the Infernals, you weren't even in the top 5. Add in the rest of Ashtan at that time, and "Xenomorph" and "smashing in heads" were never in the same sentence. 

Bold point #3: C'mon now. You say this as if the "old guard" did everything manually, as if Zmud systems didn't make their rounds back in the day. I'm sure Tranquility didn't use any macros, he typed out all of his monk combos, right? Shakti had no aliases, Estach had no triggers, Dresden used telnet. None of them ever shared information or helped one another out to understand healing and all that. I call bullshit. They walked both ways, uphill, in the snow to the arena with no automapper! I'm sure that Vadi's helped put combat in the hands of so many people who couldn't be assed to do it otherwise, but let's not pretend that all the "old guard" greats did it all on their own.
  • I really would like to see all of the cities continue to become more and more separate, while maintaining consideration of the players behind the characters.  Not that there shouldn't ever be instance of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", but I'd love to see even more of that go away.  Every city benefits from this, even Cyrene, perhaps even more so as the neutral-good city, since we hopefully won't be so chummy with Good ever again.  Mhaldor drawing a line in the sand with us sometime back was a step in the right direction (as much as Jules hankers for a lycopod salad).  I hope that all of the leaders (who are largely more mature? versions of the same people from several years ago), and the Garden itself, will continue to cooperate to make that happen.  
  • Horatio said:
    Xenomorph said:
    Iocun said:
    I'm really not quite sure why Xenomorph was picked as city leader. I mean, he makes you lol enough and I guess he's somewhat "badass", but he's just not quite the material for city leader of an RP-heavy city. Having good rapiers and cursing a lot just isn't all it takes.

-I served as GM of the Infernals Guild in Ashtan back around, oh, 2001-2002 I think it was.

-Anyways. Iocun, I really don't know who you are, but I hope you are happy reaching combat levels I achieved years ago. I may not fight much anymore, but once upon a time I burned babies by the bonfire and smashed in enough heads to make 10 ashtrays for every player. I've forgotten more than you know.

-PS: You should all be a lot more thankful of High Lord Vadimuses. He gave you the ability to compete with the old guard rather than watch you fend for yourself.

Bold point #1: Is it really fair to put GM of the Infernals on your curriculum vitae? It was barely a week long. Hwolf contested you within hours of being elected.

Bold point #2: I can't tell if srs or if forum arpee.  At any rate, you weren't some amazing combatant years ago so stop acting all hard. When it came to the Infernals, you weren't even in the top 5. Add in the rest of Ashtan at that time, and "Xenomorph" and "smashing in heads" were never in the same sentence. 

Bold point #3: C'mon now. You say this as if the "old guard" did everything manually, as if Zmud systems didn't make their rounds back in the day. I'm sure Tranquility didn't use any macros, he typed out all of his monk combos, right? Shakti had no aliases, Estach had no triggers, Dresden used telnet. None of them ever shared information or helped one another out to understand healing and all that. I call bullshit. They walked both ways, uphill, in the snow to the arena with no automapper! I'm sure that Vadi's helped put combat in the hands of so many people who couldn't be assed to do it otherwise, but let's not pretend that all the "old guard" greats did it all on their own.
    Horatio Hornblower. Still a hater I see, how long have you been harboring all this now? Truth be told, I remember you as an Infernal washout, but I'm surprised you are still around. I figured you would have gone the way of David Carradine a few years back.
    I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.
  • Wearing a Batman suit and asphyxiating himself while rubbing one out? o.O

• RuthRuth Singapore
    edited January 2013

Xenomorph said:
    All of a sudden, I'm contracted for the position, and almost immediately many "have a problem" with the choice made by the Garden. Which is pretty sad, because does that mean?:
    Every leader has their love and hate faction. I have my fair share, but the important thing is that if you feel you're managing things the right way, you'll eventually engender yourself to the people who dislike you before long, and especially if things turn out pretty good after all that effort. (I only have a personal example, unfortunately. Ask around and I think you'll hear a lot about the past Kelandra/Ruth animosity revolving around EF. We're cool with each other now, btw, and EF is doing awesome with/without my guidance.) That said, I think the greatest credit for you as Tyrannus is the number of Mhaldorians who stuck around every day for the Bal'met event and how well they defended the city under your watch.

Xenomorph said:
    Anyone in Mhaldor is welcome to take part in how the city is run, but remember loyalty is where it starts. "Play ball", wow, you can achieve anything, huh? Be underhanded, unsupportive, or untrustworthy. Well, let me take a moment to say, it won't turn out well for you. This is a dictatorship. The city IS on lockdown and siezing control by underhanded means is out of the question. Play ball, be a team player, the sky is the limit.
    At the moment, it doesn't feel like a dictatorship. We talk about Mhaldor being a dictatorship, but we're not putting in actions to get there. Every step we take brings us backwards instead of forward. There's too much talk of laws, too much dissention against what higher ranked people can or can't do. And for the record, I don't mind the practice of nepotism in Mhaldor, unless it is negatively impacting the city's progress.

Any other comments I might have about Xeno in person doesn't fit here though. I'll keep that IG.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Not hating, just making sure you're not blowing too much smoke up everybody's asses. I don't harbor any ill feelings, but if you're going to talk yourself up, it helps when there's nobody else around who was there and knows otherwise. 
  • Iocun said:
    @Xenomorph: I neither dislike you, nor your character, personally. And Xenomorph might indeed be a great and loyal guy in your house and city. I have no way of judging that. All I can see from my outside perspective is the image Xenomorph presents to the outside world, and here, he's simply more known for being quick with an obscene insult and for a "kill first, ask later"-attitude than for all the redeeming qualities he may have. Many remember him more as a "thug" than as a calm and calculating strategist, which doesn't help Mhaldor to be perceived as quite the deep-RP city it could be. This doesn't mean your character doesn't have a place in Mhaldor or Achaea, I just question his place as its figurehead.

Oh, and the comment about "good rapiers" wasn't meant as a jibe at your combat abilities. "His rapiers hurt and he curses" are just two of the things that come to my mind first when I think "Xenomorph".

That's the thing. I rarely if ever even speak publically outside of Mhaldor, it's been that way for a few real life years now. You have the old man (Sartan) who wants results, He chooses very carefully how things are run, what direction it needs to go, etc.

Honestly, your making comments on someone you don't even know or a faction you aren't even part of. That's like me showing up to your work and slapping the d*cks out of your mouth, its just out of line.

• Horatio said:
    Not hating, just making sure you're not blowing too much smoke up everybody's asses. I don't harbor any ill feelings, but if you're going to talk yourself up, it helps when there's nobody else around who was there and knows otherwise. 

You are a hater, and you hold grudges badly. I know you were a washout, but I don't ever know what became of you.

I'm not tooting my own horn, horatio hornblower. My post was to make sense of why I'm here in the crane operator seat. You can piss and moan all you want, but the proof is in the pudding. I've stuck with my faction since day 1. My reign was short as Infernal GM but not the eye blink you make out. And for being IC 27y/o or so, that's pretty cool. The Guild did not last very long after me and Hwolf ran it, too many enemies, too many people turning on Sartan.

Anyways, like I said, I'm just providing a reason -why.- The substantiated reasons were to give merit to my claim, that I've been around the block, that I know a thing or two about Knights, and like a champion horsebreeder, its what I do. My favorite hobby on here is giving interviews and training Maldaathi youth.

Your negative post is just a dig at me. If you have a real problem with me, do something about it. You wont, your all hot air and crap attitude.

• edited January 2013
    It's not as if I went into an all-out tirade on how terrible a Tyrannus you are. I made a short statement of scepticism on a public political figure (!) of Achaea, based on my (admittedly limited) personal knowledge and opinion, nothing more, nothing less.
  • Can't we all just get along, or at least submit the issue for review at the next bi-weekly subcommittee meeting? Pretty sure that's how things work these days, or so my alt in Mhaldor tells me
  • Xenomorph said:
    Horatio said:
    Not hating, just making sure you're not blowing too much smoke up everybody's asses. I don't harbor any ill feelings, but if you're going to talk yourself up, it helps when there's nobody else around who was there and knows otherwise. 

You are a hater, and you hold grudges badly. I know you were a washout, but I don't ever know what became of you.

I'm not tooting my own horn, horatio hornblower. My post was to make sense of why I'm here in the crane operator seat. You can piss and moan all you want, but the proof is in the pudding. I've stuck with my faction since day 1. My reign was short as Infernal GM but not the eye blink you make out. And for being IC 27y/o or so, that's pretty cool. The Guild did not last very long after me and Hwolf ran it, too many enemies, too many people turning on Sartan.

Anyways, like I said, I'm just providing a reason -why.- The substantiated reasons were to give merit to my claim, that I've been around the block, that I know a thing or two about Knights, and like a champion horsebreeder, its what I do. My favorite hobby on here is giving interviews and training Maldaathi youth.

Your negative post is just a dig at me. If you have a real problem with me, do something about it. You wont, your all hot air and crap attitude.

What grudge? We've never wronged each other in game or out, so I really don't know what possible grudge there could be. You greatly exaggerated some points, I just took a little air out of them.

But I will give you this: You mention your favorite hobby as working with Maldaathi youth. You were HoN when I joined the Infernals and I had a good time coming up as a novice under you. I modeled myself after you when I eventually become the HoN. Still think I'm a hater? 
  • Hater.

Go eff yourself.

Meletus, its not me man! these guys force it out of me.

• Wow, I never thought I'd see a Tvistor tirade.  @Nellaundra, this gives me hope for an Iocun tirade, someday. 
  • That was one of the best posts I've read on here. Honesty, objective evaluation, unbiased observation. And there wasn't even a quip or joke in there, just a single link to a trope. Nice post, @Tvistor, +100forumrep
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I'm contented so far with the effort the Garden has dealt with the role of Sartan. I see effort, at least.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• edited January 2013
    I wasn't privy to much(or pretty much any) of what you talked about @antidas so I have no comment there...but surely you can see the hilarity in the statement, "In the past, Mhaldor has done quite well by being very elitist concerning the people who were allowed citizenship." Every time I log on I end up going "Who the ---- let that sorry------ piece of ---- excuse for a ----sucking middle-aged ----- in here?" for a whole new person.

Edit: And it's been this way for oh...ever
  • @Hayte Mhaldor has certainly let in some questionable people at times, but there was a huge burst of it after Xeno took over. Luckily most of these applications were shut down, whether by myself or another member of the Mhaldorian gov't.

• Carmell. CARMELL
  • doesn't change the fact that there have been far more of that sort of thing recently

• I'll take your word for the applications turned down. But when the number of -total- new people reaches half the number of people that made me make "who the ----" comments that got in during Kaevan's last reign, I'll start to take notice.

This is not a critique of Kaevan or the "who the ----" people he let in. I don't name names and I don't make scenes at the time because I am quite aware that I am a douche and will be frequently wrong.

Ok, I'm tired and am unable to word things very politely so I apologize. This - "In the past, Mhaldor has done quite well by being very elitist concerning the people who were allowed citizenship." statement is completely wrong. From there, any attempts to marginalize, hedge, or whatever, just make me disregard your point, and I'm trying not to. I've found that many times when I had the thoughts that you had there in that paragraph that it all came down to the fact that I did not like the people being inducted, which turned out quite correct in many cases and incorrect in others.

I did the job, for a gross amount of time and people. I'm not going to shame myself with some of the people who were let in during my tenure, but it was during Dethea's run amd trust me, unless you turned down Cooper's application letter, you are wrong.
  • I disagree with most of what you said. However, I dont see the point of arguing it here. I'd be glad to continue this in private, or to send you a few of the names and let you judge for yourself whether you wanted those people in Mhaldor. I guarantee, it wasn't just because I disliked them.