The Mhaldor Thread.

Comments

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    Iono, but I think Mhaldor isn't as strict with mentality these days. I was thinking more of other problems. 
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Herenicus said:
    @Lodi - I only wish I could've seen a more Lodi'd Mhaldor before life and work crowded out my opportunities to play. I can't even find time to keep up with my irl correspondence, to say nothing of a fantasy avatar! I still daydream, every so often, about staring sleep-sleep at droning meeting facilitators then nodding to a daemonic buddy who refuges us to freedom. Unfortunately, Achaea requires the kind of steady off-hours dedication that my wife appropriates to herself. The few hours that I could devote to Achaea each week would leave me perpetually behind the NSTAT curve. I cannot e-live that way. The refugee thread is instructive. Your limiting reagent is administrative give-a-damn. Reduce the number of intra-Mhaldor organizations (Orders, Houses, Clans, Paths, Clubs) until the requisite administrative burden is realistically matched to the available leadership. Otherwise, you're left with an endless supply of tragic possibility.
    THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
  • Sherazad said:
    Iono, but I think Mhaldor isn't as strict with mentality these days. I was thinking more of other problems. 
    The devil is in the details.

Sure, Mhaldor has always tolerated the less-popular paths of the time, but never really supported as equal.
    The only thing I can think of is in relation to gods. :/ But then you don't really have much problems with that these days because there's really not one around. 
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

edited January 2013
    I'm fine with what Herenicus says. But I think we need at least 1 god to get things going again. I don't even know if they RP'd why we don't have Sarapin sacrifices anymore. I'm not sure, but when I ask, I get the OOC answer about the coding of Sartan, and the names, whatever. The gods biz has been mishandled badly too, until the Bal'met event and then there's nothing again. 

To clarify about the god woes in Mhaldor: Keresis was fine as a god. She did stuff. But her introduction was done so badly, people had to leave. There's a limit to how much you can push for blind obedience in a game. And then yay, we have Sartan! And it was epic, lots of people were around. And then when the event was done, there's really nothing else we hear from Sartan except an occasional, hey guis, you doing all right? And then you have *shallam with not one, but two ossum gods. People can say other organizations, or even Mhaldor itself has operated well without gods but I've seen Mhaldorians work hard, it becomes work instead of fun. Can't also blame people because I believe RL comes first before this game. :/

rant done, prz don't kill me there's nothing posted here. 
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Sherazad said:
    I also think Sartan somehow took Xenomorph somewhere I've no idea. 

Coincidentally, I was talking to Tvistor on how Sherazad feels like without Sartan.

Sherazad: :( papa sartan? where are you? i am so cold
    Sherazad: it's so cold, papa. :'(
    Tvistor as Sartan Spirit (TaSS): there there
    TaSS: just
    TaSS: burn heathens
    TaSS: for warmth
    Sherazad: papa i hear a whisper in the wind, maybe ur ghost.. oki :') i will be good and burn heathens

Probably wasn't Sartan per se, but a Divine summoning to the Garden.
  • Herenicus said:
    Reduce the number of intra-Mhaldor organizations (Orders, Houses, Clans, Paths, Clubs) until the requisite administrative burden is realistically matched to the available leadership. Otherwise, you're left with an endless supply of tragic possibility.
    The OIA should just be an initiative of the city itself, Tiamat's ego be damned.
  • I actually could not disagree more with Halios's point.

What we need is not more distinct paths, but fewer. The problem with "paths" is that some paths are much easier to quantify than others. The proliferation of path systems is what is creating the problem and the solution is not more paths. The solution is just getting rid of paths outside of introductory stuff and rewarding people in a more freeform manner. Thankfully, since coming back I'm seeing this more and more.

Regarding the point about militancy having a disenfranchising effect, I actually agree. I think a problem we've had is conflating militancy and dedication to role. You don't have to fight to fit in Mhaldor's role (well, you do to some degree - you need to throw your wimpy, untrained body against the enemy if asked to, but that asking shouldn't happen every day).

In fact, I think it's probably true that militancy tends to make things worse. It can afford some unity to the city's combatants, but it tends to make people more "practical" and lax about actually living up to the Mhaldorian role.

And I still think that a more active Sartan, while it would be nice, is a very small part of the problem. An active god can offer distractions from existing problems, but it doesn't necessarily fix them. Mhaldorian philosophy offers a wealth of motivation already - there's plenty to do in pretty much any sphere, people are just unused to being even remotely self-directed.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited January 2013
    Anything involving religion and order affiliation with regards to city and house leaders revolve around Sartan. With everything in that aspect on a standstill, it is a tad bothersome and frustrating for some inclined towards progression on that path, almost similar to your frustration with Apollyon reqs.

Also, part of the problem goes back to what we've actually talked about the other day for a brief moment, @Tael, those with authority must be clear and ruthless and reasonable - but reasonable does not equate to merciful, rather, it is the ability to listen to reason.

Agree with your point about militancy having a disenfranchising effect.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• edited January 2013
    Tael said:
    I actually could not disagree more with Halios's point.

What we need is not more distinct paths, but fewer. The problem with "paths" is that some paths are much easier to quantify than others. The proliferation of path systems is what is creating the problem and the solution is not more paths. The solution is just getting rid of paths outside of introductory stuff and rewarding people in a more freeform manner. Thankfully, since coming back I'm seeing this more and more.

Regarding the point about militancy having a disenfranchising effect, I actually agree. I think a problem we've had is conflating militancy and dedication to role. You don't have to fight to fit in Mhaldor's role (well, you do to some degree - you need to throw your wimpy, untrained body against the enemy if asked to, but that asking shouldn't happen every day).

In fact, I think it's probably true that militancy tends to make things worse. It can afford some unity to the city's combatants, but it tends to make people more "practical" and lax about actually living up to the Mhaldorian role.

And I still think that a more active Sartan, while it would be nice, is a very small part of the problem. An active god can offer distractions from existing problems, but it doesn't necessarily fix them. Mhaldorian philosophy offers a wealth of motivation already - there's plenty to do in pretty much any sphere, people are just unused to being even remotely self-directed.
    I don't believe I ever said I wanted more paths in an organizational sense.

I simply believe that the incentives, rewards, and general attitude of the leadership need to be equal to all ways people choose to pursue "Strength" on their character.

I think the problem is that I'm using path as  a sort of existential term, whereas you're using it as an organizational structure term.

A synonym I would be ok with for the phrasing I used would be finding your "calling" or something to that effect.
  • edited January 2013
    Ah - in that case I could not agree more with Halios's point.

And I think the push for more and more formal, organisational paths is where a large amount of blame should rest.
  • Just finished reading through the 'Norbert Incident' posted in RP Logs. I've been hearing about lots of these little interactions happening recently and they are just what Mhaldor needs. Big thanks to whoever is behined them :)
    I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • I facepalmed irl when I gave the wood to Norbert instead of Kaevan, but we both rolled with it and I think it turned out great. Was fun!
  • We may be the smaller thread with only four pages to Cyrene's eight, and Hashan's whatever it was before it exploded, but at least our four pages are far more functional and relevant.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Velyse said:
    Katzchen said:

We may be the smaller thread with only four pages to Cyrene's eight, and Hashan's whatever it was before it exploded, but at least our four pages are far more functional and relevant.

General log for the City of Mhaldor:
    2013/01/20 02:38:06 - Posted on the forums today. Even though our posts were greatly outnumbered, we managed more productive comments than anyone else. Hail Sartan. 17:8 S/N
    That didn't last.
  • Jurixe said:
    I was immensely proud today because a) a denizen took what @Kaevan and I were just casually chatting about and turned it into a whole event thing for us; and b) I'd 'borrowed' the name of a denizen to start an event to garner interest and participation, and it actually got recognition from the denizen itself.

Araval, the Illuminatrix says, "Of course. And thank you for the work on the project."

You don't know how surprised and thrilled I was at that. Thank you, so much. It made my day.
    Borrowing the denizen's name was, by the way, a truly great idea.
  • My entire gameplay experience suggests it won't work for us. (RIP Keresis)
  • To be fair, Keresis didn't stand a chance, no matter how good of an addition she was. Mhaldor doesn't have room for more than one Master.