The Mhaldor Thread.

Comments

• For the record, I do genuinely feel for Mhaldor with how often they get shafted re: Gods. The Keresis affair was really poorly considered by the Garden, imo, and that led to the dormancy of one of the most active Gods Mhaldor has seen in years. I wish they'd had the foresight to hold off or attempt the switch back to Sartan earlier so they could have given the player behind Keresis the role.

Still, Sartan's return (especially with the Celani call) spells fun times in Mhaldor's hopefully near future.

• Silas said:
    For the record, I do genuinely feel for Mhaldor with how often they get shafted re: Gods. The Keresis affair was really poorly considered by the Garden, imo, and that led to the dormancy of one of the most active Gods Mhaldor has seen in years. I wish they'd had the foresight to hold off or attempt the switch back to Sartan earlier so they could have given the player behind Keresis the role.

Still, Sartan's return (especially with the Celani call) spells fun times in Mhaldor's hopefully near future.
    It goes well beyond that.

Halios was set to be ordered (read: had a msg from Sartan confirming and awaiting an opportunity for a ceremony and whatnot.)

Khoraji then tells me Sartan's player basically is gone, and it won't happen.

Then Keresis/Twins/etc.

It really leaves me totally confused as to what I'm supposed to be roleplaying for my character.

I went Apostate from Snake for the exact purpose of getting ordered, then stuck to the Sartan is the Master RP path even during the Keresis/Twins era and turned into the iconoclast with Xeno at one point.

Tried the whole "Sartan follower subversively invading the church as a priest" but it just felt stale and boring so I went mage and inactive.

I understand that the game has limitations as far as Divine participation, but to now find out that the slate is literally wiped clean, so to speak, is pretty weak.

There's some RP justification of the memories that the original Sartan had being muddled because of the split and blah blah but it's just a poor excuse for inactive Divines.

But yea, In Suffering.
  • Speaking to what I know, which is minimal and rather focused, the earlier comment about opening up shops more within Mhaldor is going to be an uphill battle, at best.

The personal investment that goes into shops, not only in credits, but also in time, is huge. I've seen it time and time again, where Mhaldor seizes shops with little, or no warning. As someone who enjoys the shopkeeping and crafting side of the game, I would -never- put my energy into a shop I didn't know I could at least have a hope of keeping for a long period or re-selling.

As for the Mhaldorian themed wares, I fully support the general rules regarding things for sale within Mhaldor be somehow connected. Having more variety might be a good idea if people are becoming bored with it, but that can also be a personal battle made by Mhaldorians. Wear different things, it might soon become the new norm for Mhaldor.

I enjoy traveling across Sapience and seeing the drastically different styles based on which faction's characters play and where they buy from. Also, having played and watched this specific aspect for years, I can say that styles do change, but having something definitive is a great aspect to have.

• Yaaaaaaaaay I love Mhaldor!!! <3

The only issue I ever had (and this was a long time ago) was the lack of divine power. When the gods were there, they were great, but when they were gone it was like a great big hole in the atmosphere. D:
  • Nothing to add, alls been said... *presses like buttons*
  • But seriously, if there's no Sartan and we have to wait for an entire new batch of Celani (which is like half a year) then I am going to do something we're all going to regret.

Like get Cooper to post more pictures.
  • I was with you right up till that last line.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • I'm desperate, man, who knows what I'll do.
  • @Jurixe's comments about leader burnout on the last page are worth discussing in a game-wide context, not merely Mhaldor's, and maybe I'll make a thread for that soon, but I'd be interested to hear more about that from your perspectives, Mhaldorians.  
  • As a novice in the city, I had to seek out any little glimpses of Mhaldorian culture that I could. The Haruspex posters helped quite a lot in this regard. It was a time when Mhaldor was constantly being raided and, a lot of the times, people would be at the gates or in the guardhouse standing to attention. I participated in what little raid defense I could (flinging stars, and a bomb or two) and it was fun, so I'm not complaining about having to defend, no. But the general emergency situation in Mhaldor did result in me hesitating to approach anyone in the city or the house for help or for RP. Though, these days, Mhaldor seems more DEFCON 4 or DEFCON 5 than what I remember from the Bal'met days so I'm looking forward to how things work out for Athanasius. 

That said, the few interactions I've had in-game with @Xer or @Lodi or @Quei have been really good. One of my favourite moments in-game will always be watching the Bal'met fallout from Stygian with @Lodi sitting on a bench, me sitting in a chariot, watching the Gods struggling to come up with a working strategy.
    For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we are still just able to endure,
    and we are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
  • I was about to react that DEFCON 5 represents the lowest state of alert when I realized you got the term right. Good job, mate. Have a like in thanks.

• Too few non-mhaldorians commenting.
  • We need something for them to comment about, really. Look at the Hashan thread.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I lost interest in Mhaldor after all that great ormyrr hunting went kaput.
  • Tvistor doesn't play achaea, and he has commented now, so all is well.

and bring back Ormyrr bashing to make Mhaldor relevant again. >:)
  • What is Achaea?

I have been playing Mudlet for the past few months. You guys should totally try it. It's pretty similar to playing zMud but better graphics.
  • edited January 2013
  • Synbios said:
    I was about to react that DEFCON 5 represents the lowest state of alert when I realized you got the term right. Good job, mate. Have a like in thanks.
    I wiki'd it *cough*
    For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we are still just able to endure,
    and we are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Wattsee said:

As for the Mhaldorian themed wares, I fully support the general rules regarding things for sale within Mhaldor be somehow connected. Having more variety might be a good idea if people are becoming bored with it, but that can also be a personal battle made by Mhaldorians. Wear different things, it might soon become the new norm for Mhaldor.
    Mhaldor has had horrible choices in clothes since Katia stopped actively stocking. I'm just saying. I think it's perfectly possible to dress without leather, spikes / metal bits, black / red and still be evil.

• Skye said:

Wattsee said:

Mhaldor has had horrible choices in clothes since Katia stopped actively stocking. I'm just saying. I think it's perfectly possible to dress without leather, spikes / metal bits, black / red and still be evil.

But...but....I like my spiked, barb-wired, leather boxers! The leather is pink though so that makes it less conformist.

• I look up immensely to people like @Lodi, @Tirac, @Arador, @Xenomorph

Basically people that have constantly known their place as a Mhaldorian, and never felt they had to publicly complain, while maintaining a sense of bad-assery. I'm sure there is a lot more that goes on with them, but their public appearance is outstanding. These are the people I hope everyone in Mhaldor aspires to be like.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • @Skye I sell simple, non-spiky, non-leathery clothing and do fairly good business, all things considered. Designing in any color but black is mostly a waste of time, though.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • XerXer Langley
    edited January 2013
    People have already said and agreed that our *biggest* problem would probably be the lack of an active Divine role playing Sartan. Doesn't even need to be stupendously badass and shouty, barking orders here and there providing us with some theological backing for all the things we do (which encompasses more than raid other cities, like rituals, sermons, etc.). Smaller interactions, and a denizen representative would suffice, as long as it was fairly consistent and meaningful, and relevant to the issues at hand.

I love the denizen interaction we've been getting lately with Iaeum and Jakda - they totally made my entire week, in the first half of it :D Wasn't anything big or major, but that alone will keep me hanging around in Mhaldor, just to see what comes out of the conversations. (Don't kill me Jiraishin D: I'm sure you'll find times when you're both around)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0

• Skye said:
    Wattsee said:

Well, I will admit, it's been a long while since I've actively gone clothes browsing. I always figured Mhaldor could do well with so many colors, but people do tend to pick one or two and go crazy with it. I always imagined things like D&D rogue gear would do really well there, lots of places to stash weapons and whatnot, always ready for a battle. Padded and matte leather boots always made much more sense to me than thigh-high, brightly-polished stiletto boots, too.

While not a tailor myself, I wouldn't mind collaborative work to generate some new clothing/styles, if anyone is truly interested.
  • MasarykMasaryk Sangre Plains
    I'm still trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to explore Mhaldor for my explorer rank. I suppose I'll never get the entire thing :(

• XerXer Langley
    Phase and time zone abuse >.> Should have made use of those Demi-god powers - though the one Serpent who tried got caught and lost the ability to phase after he was unphased XD
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • Holy shit wall of text.

That said, Tael is addressing a pretty focused point, but he touches on a fair number of things that bear a little more thought regarding novice retention. Also, it's been beaten into the dust and I don't think it will be a quick fix-all for everything, but an active divine would be nice as well. I remember some of my favorite times in Mhaldor have been wondering if I'm going to get torn apart because Sartan looked at me with less than full approval.

• Xer said:

Phase and time zone abuse >.> Should have made use of those Demi-god powers - though the one Serpent who tried got caught and lost the ability to phase after he was unphased XD

Like everyone else to set foot in Mhaldor he went Magi? :P