The Mhaldor Thread.

Comments

• @Lodi I do worry how many people would bail to Ashtan if there were a blanket ban on OOC clans.

Also, mudlet/SVO, house combat clans, and the UUC, would they count, or just chat clans? I did say I have no 'real' OOC clans, because I have UUC which is quiet most of the time, and when not, half of the talk could pass for IC, and the rest isn't that jarring.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• edited January 2013
    Would people really leave? That's sad, but I take your point. I guess I'm just oldschool when it comes to this. :)
    I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • Lodi said:
    Would people really leave? That's sad, but I take your point. I guess I'm just oldschool when it comes to this. :)
    I think so. Especially some of the more combat oriented crowd. Not sure if it's oldschool, because I  agree that OOC clans kind of ruin the experience of achaea, and I'm certainly not old school Mhaldorian. I always had clans like SVO turned off when I had them at all. I prefer to instigate IC conversations than chat over OOC clans. If I want OOC talk, I'll come to the forums. :)

• edited January 2013
    Katzchen said:
    . If I want OOC talk, I'll come to the forums. :)
    My thoughts exactly. :)

I won a competition awhile ago to have Chris Bourassa paint a picture of Lodi. My profile pic is the end product. :)
  • edited January 2013
    Mhaldor's just so quiet and daunting as a novice though. So little chit chat, it gives the impression of a dying city. My alt would have suicided/ gone dormant within a RL week without the OOC clan hes in.

ETA: Hrm. For clarification, I mean from the viewpoint of a novice. Mhaldor's interactiveness is fine once you get to the point of raiding/defending/HR3/CR2. Before that, though, its not fun being a newbie. I'm glad that Mhaldor wasn't the city I joined out of Rebirth, because I might not have stuck around. Its probably my #1 alternative to Hashan now, though.
  • I'm in a few OOC clans, and there would be no chance of trying to enforce the no OOC clans.

Do you really think Vadi would quit the SVO and Mudlet clan. - In the bigger picture they add a little bit more for the community than contributing to Mhaldors problems (which I don't think they do, well certainly not Mudlet and SVO)

I don't speak on their often, but if I know the answer to a problem or if I have one (which I have a had a lot of lately) then its my first port of call and because I do have access to things like this it has kept me in the game longer.

After I moved computers if this wasn't a possibility then I would not have worried about redoing anything.

--

The Horde however is a bit of detriment to Mhaldor, sometimes though it's hilarious the rage that comes from there and is directed at its own members, it can't really be that helpful, especially some of the discussion in the last week or so. 

In saying that it does give people a certain outlet to groan and talk about things when Mhaldor and the houses in general are deathly quiet.
  • @Jacen true, I joined when I at least had the basics, character development, system, trans important skills. It probably wouldn't be much fun as a true novice, though I do try to interact with the Maldaathi ones, encourage them, etc.

• edited January 2013
    Tvistor said:
    Mhaldor still has a fairly strong group of awesome people. They just aren't allowed to do their thing as freely as they used to.

But yeah, I think the difficulty has dropped a fair bit. Something that bugs me is there's an OOC clan called Whiners that has quite a few Mhaldorians. The logic was that the city is quiet, so it's a good OOC outlet for novices and a way to keep in touch.

In reality, like a lot of OOC clans allowing mainly members of org X, it really devalues the Mhaldorian experience. It's a shame, since CR 1 was one of the coolest times if you're green enough to get scared by someone threatening execution.
    Whiners is the only OOC clan I've been a part of for more than fifteen minutes and I've actually been very pleasant surprised. Using it as an excuse to make up for the quiet city would be bad, but that's not what I've seen happening at all.

Instead, what I see is all the "lol look what x just did" messages going there instead of house/city/party channels. And that I think is a robust improvement to things. Mhaldor has always had a fairly minor problem with attracting a certain segment of the lolpkers and I welcome anything that reduces the amount of "OMGWTF how did he dodge that lol" on my IC party channel during raids.

I've even seen some decent OOC discussion of the problems with Mhaldor happening on it - the kind that you can't really have ICly.

(As for whether OOC clans are inherently problematic, I don't know. It doesn't personally affect my feelings about someone's character much to know them OOCly, but I can see how it might for other people. I think it's probably ill-advised to assume that it does or doesn't have an impact on others based on whether it has an impact on me. Some people are really good at maintaining an extremely firm IC/OOC separation and some need to just avoid OOC interaction in order to keep things IC. Both are fine.)
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited January 2013

@Tael I am pretty good at keeping IC/OOC boundaries in place, I don't shun OOC clans for that reason, it is more the disruptive, spammy nature of them can have a tendency to ruin RP moments.

@Xer I love the quiet aspect too. I left behind an often busy CT, HT, and several clans when I left Hashan, and the quiet was really nice. I was glad to see when I joined Mhaldor that it tended to stay that way.

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited January 2013
    Mhaldor has too many doors. Blabla fortress. It's lame that a large percentage of the city is inaccessible to raiders. It was built too defensively, in my opinion, it actually deters raids and I feel like it wasn't always this way, Mhaldor used to be raided constantly (which is probably what led to all the doors).

I feel this has an impact on Mhaldor culture because Mhaldor's origins were trial by fire, and now the biggest thing you have to worry about is the red tape surrounding your government. Like old Mhaldor was "rargh kill things blood!" and new Mhaldor is "please leave us alone to beat up on the forestals".

It probably doesn't help that Babel / Chaos seems to be 100x more evil than Mhaldor, with sacrificing babies and destroying the world etc. You guys totally got robbed of your spotlight and now your only options are A: ride Ashtan's coat-tails, or B: be a sideliner and burn forests.

I mean really, Babel chaos with their whole "burn the world" ideology kind of leaves you guys with nothing except memories of what you used to be.

• Eris / Chaos was more evil too for a long while, post-Infernal and pre-Mhaldor. 
  • Mhaldor is the ugliest city. Initially, I was hoping the flavor would be more Mr. Clean evil like the Sith Empire and their relatively spotless floors and waxed hallways. Instead, it's more barbarian evil with blood-soaked streets and piles of skulls and whatnot. What's that about? I always imagined it as a place that was supposed to show the continent the power and glory they could attain by following the ideals of Evil, not the Temple of Doom.

...That is all I have to contribute.
    ^Some version of this would be neat.  Blood pooling and spattered on a pristine white sandstone street and walls, only to be cleaned up immediately by terrified slaves.  Rawr!  
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    I always thought the doors were there all the time.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited January 2013
    Katz was tortured to death by her brother on someone's orders just the other day. Torture and sacrifice are pretty common, like Xer said, and execution even more so. You just don't see it from outside Mhaldor.

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited January 2013

Katzchen
    said:
    You just don't see it from outside Mhaldor.
    That was the gist of my post, though. I mean I understand how much not having divine sucks, and my post was more empathetic than aggressive, I'm legitimately sympathetic that Evil's role in Achaea has been upstaged by Babel and now you guys are reduced to sitting around and having convoluted discussions on Mhaldor's role in the world.

• I really really hope that the latest batch of Celani (or however the - you spell it) gives Mhaldor the Sartan they need.
  • I don't think Mhaldor being insular is much of a problem. More events that effect the outside world would be nice, but realistically we can't really have those happen without Divine help. We certainly have been raiding a lot more lately.

• Not likely. It's not that there isn't Celani willing and wanting to take the position, but rather...hmm.. the position is unavailable due to certain circumstances.
  • Okay.  Then solve the circumstances.  Mhaldor has basically been without gods aside from Keresis (who by all accounts did a great job, just she was clumsily inserted into the same power as the twins) for bloody forever.  That's cruel to the players and they shouldn't have to have their RP cut off because no one can be arsed to admin for them.
  • Okay.  Then solve the circumstances. 
    Tell the admin to solve the circumstances. It's their issues holding back.
  • I don't think that's the circumstances he's referring to.
  • It isn't as simple as 'solving' the circumstances. The vast majority of the Gods, to my knowledge, are volunteers and allowed to play whatever Divine role they want. Even if you guilted one into playing Sartan, it would be like forcing something into HoN -- their work would likely be uninspired and they'd constantly be haunted by regret.

There's also like months of preparation that goes into get new batches of Celani. 
  • Tl;dr Non-mhaldorians, screw you. 
  • Iphis said:
    Tl;dr Non-mhaldorians, screw you. 

Well, I mean...just..

Yeah, you said it best.

I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.