Refugees of Shallam, how are you coping?

Comments

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Aktillum said:
    I'm really digging this whole refugee thing. I know some players want things sped along but it'd be dumb if a new city popped up tomorrow, imo. There's great rp to be had, I really loved the expedition post on Refugees. Deucalion and Aurora are encouraging us to submit ideas as individuals, which I also appreciate. Good fun all around.

Lord I was born to be a ramblin' man
    Tryna make a livin' after the death of Shallam
    It's going to be awhile before we get a new city.  It will be a lot of work but it could be fun if done correctly and our ideas are actually heard.
  • Tanaar said:
    Monkish sobriety's starting to look good compared to you drunken hooligans
    Oi.  I'll have you know that when Nell was a Monk, she had absolutely no problems getting shitfaced.
  • So, I see Wyverex got the Leadership position in the refugees...
  • He was the only one 'smart' enough to run for a position that literally didn't matter, doesn't matter and won't matter, and further broke ex-Shallam by pissing tons of people off.

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    yah I thought we were just smiling and nodding till we get re-settled. I didn't think it was for keeps.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    edited December 2012
    got more important things to deal with.  Pretty much its a open audition for next city leader until then based on merit the next I dunno, 5 IC years?
  • Discussing things with @Aurora was great. 

Until I got dc'ed. Before that though, ideology talk was excellente.

• edited December 2012
    Achilles said:
    Aktillum said:
    I'm really digging this whole refugee thing. I know some players want things sped along but it'd be dumb if a new city popped up tomorrow, imo. There's great rp to be had, I really loved the expedition post on Refugees. Deucalion and Aurora are encouraging us to submit ideas as individuals, which I also appreciate. Good fun all around.

Lord I was born to be a ramblin' man
    Tryna make a livin' after the death of Shallam
    It's going to be awhile before we get a new city.  It will be a lot of work but it could be fun if done correctly and our ideas are actually heard.
    Key Word... Actually Heard. It's been a few centuries. But I will admit they are doing a good job so far.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • Although one good thing about a new city is that it would be the first built around the House system concept, so rather than it having guilds that  were forced to try an adapt their organization into a house, they can simply be built up as one.

General ideas:

A House based on spreading the faith of the light and leading the people on the path.

A House of investigators and inquisitors, always having an eye opened for traitors and those not loyal to the grand leadership. Also may  question citizens and investigate into their actions.

A militia of the city constantly trained in warfare and battle, expanding their skills for the judgements they will bring upon the unholy.

An Academy of the light, teaching its those that seek scholarship and higher knowledge. Teaching its students the principles of the universe and the history of the light, only those of higher aptitude may truly advance.

annnd the list can go on. I find this great, although I do wish the "certain classes only" limitations that was placed on houses recently was uplifted so that they can really expand :/.
  • Kakotas said:
    @Asmodron

This is a redeeming quality. No 5-7 different houses all requiring a full command structure where people go dormant. 2-3 houses and that's it.
    yep definetly.
  • Asmodron said:

Although one good thing about a new city is that it would be the first built around the House system concept, so rather than it having guilds that  were forced to try an adapt their organization into a house, they can simply be built up as one.

General ideas:

A House based on spreading the faith of the light and leading the people on the path.

A House of investigators and inquisitors, always having an eye opened for traitors and those not loyal to the grand leadership. Also may  question citizens and investigate into their actions.

A militia of the city constantly trained in warfare and battle, expanding their skills for the judgements they will bring upon the unholy.

An Academy of the light, teaching its those that seek scholarship and higher knowledge. Teaching its students the principles of the universe and the history of the light, only those of higher aptitude may truly advance.

annnd the list can go on. I find this great, although I do wish the "certain classes only" limitations that was placed on houses recently was uplifted so that they can really expand :/.

That's actually not terribly far from what I'm writing up. Didn't think of inquisitors, but that's kind of redundant between the holy warrior archetype and the religious zealot archetype
  • Beatrice said:
    I'm not in a great hurry, but even though this belongs in rants, I think those who have main characters shouldn't come poking their nose in now when others who have been around a long time are working on charters and plans.

- 2012/12/21 07:47:21 - Noob says, "Think im gonna go Aurora's order ifi go that far with
    this alt. :D."
    - 2012/12/21 07:47:24 - Noob says, "Eep! mis!"
    Alts aren't a bad thing. Since this person is a newb, they won't have much input on how the houses/city are going to be designed. And if they're interested in joining Aurora's order, then they probably have genuine interest in the character. In my House, as long are you aren't a level 75 HR1 lolalt who's only in the House to have easy access to trans skilled teachers, I'm gonna give you the same amount of time as I give a true newb. You never know what might happen. I know several "alts" who's characters are better played and have a much bigger, better impact on their organizations than their "main" ever did. Its your job to make this char more desirable than their main!
  • I think a 2 house city would be interesting so long as it was done well. The thing is alot of times houses get bogged down if they aren't class focused. Too many nuances in each class that tend to make them different and so you have to have a different way of training each of them (combat for instance you can't train a shaman the same way you train a knight or a priest well etc etc). So you basically have the old idea of paths which I don't think ever got done really well because everyone was OMG I can be a Monk now a Forestal now a Paladin in the whole autoclass craze. Needed a better timetable for development on players end.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

• edited December 2012
    Sadly the thing is when  guilds were turned into houses, they were just told "okay now get accustomed to it", when the system then was built for a more guild orientated one. This left each city with 4 "Houses" that were trying  their best to somehow attract members in order to fill up their numbers even though they could now offer nothing in game mechanics. It become a redundant process in general.

There was only one guild that actually sat down and said "Okay so we have this new House system thing, let's think of a concept" and that was the Crown Merchants. They literally changed their organization from a Magi based organization (something sadly none of the other magi houses seemed to really accomplish) into a organization that doesnt focus on skills or class, but on commerce. With this, the Crown Merchants became the first true House organization. They didnt even care of where your skills are from or what class you are, as long as you -can- make a profit, and so they accepted all profitable classes. Sadly since none of the other houses seemed to make the transformation, other mechanics had to be introduced to make Houses more...useful. Learning only from House tutors, no sharing of classes in the same city houses etc. I actually rather hated this change since it seemed like we were just turning back to the guild days :/.

Anyway thankfully now Shallam got a clean slate, and can make some actual Houses that focused on life and society in general rather than old-fashion skills and classes. Hope it works out for them.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    edited December 2012
    Terra said:
    Asmodron said:
    Although one good thing about a new city is that it would be the first built around the House system concept, so rather than it having guilds that  were forced to try an adapt their organization into a house, they can simply be built up as one.

General ideas:

I hate the idea of an academy. I'd rather a group of more goal-oriented scholars, studying the properties of Creation in order to find better ways to strengthen it against Chaos, etc. - the focus being actually doing something, rather than teaching/collecting knowledge.

And the last thing Shallam needs is a House based around accusing other Shallamese of stuff (in response to the investigator/inquisitor idea).

My goal was to turn the Crystalline into this :(

• Too late to edit, but to make it more clear: line in your honours says

He was the Lord of the Nexus in the Crystalline Circle for 100 years.

100 years is, according to HELP TIME, about 1250 days, which is almost 3 and a half years. If your goal was to do anything worthwhile, you'd have done it.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    edited December 2012
    Right, between most people being burned out from raid defense(and all the other crap ex-Shallamese players whine about), Patrons not helping with the events you listed years ago and/or being busy with RL and some people just being lazy it's not just something you do at the snap of your finger when you have to rebuild everything that was lost due to guilds-to-houses and the people who could actually help develop it first leaving to the EA and then just.. turning traitor or just leaving due to the Pentharian issues that popped up.

We've first had the resources to do it within the last couple of rl months and well...

As for 'anything worthwhile', I spent the first ~1.5 years getting my house more willing to defend which culminated in Shallam destroying all Ashtan icons, The Circle was the one that got icon back first (and we even got blackmailed by Lorielan to remove all 'ooc requirements' from path's that were in the process of being reworked, which caused it to be delayed even further before she'd give us the freaking icon back), dragged the other houses into it and it was our alchemists that took the icons. So kindly no.

• Terra said:
    Asmodron said:

General ideas:

I hate the idea of an academy. I'd rather a group of more goal-oriented scholars, studying the properties of Creation in order to find better ways to strengthen it against Chaos, etc. - the focus being actually doing something, rather than teaching/collecting knowledge.

That sounds like a generally boring concept though..im not even sure how it could be played out. "Sir i've made a discovery that molasses is hated by dervish!" "Excellent!"
  • Um...dervish love molasses. I don't get the joke.
  • Veldrin said:
    As for 'anything worthwhile', I spent the first ~1.5 years getting my house more willing to defend
    Did it take that long because you were building funds to buy every Torcs? Otherwise, I don't see how they could possibly follow your defense plans.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Asmodron said:
    Sadly the thing is when  guilds were turned into houses, they were just told "okay now get accustomed to it", when the system then was built for a more guild orientated one. This left each city with 4 "Houses" that were trying  their best to somehow attract members in order to fill up their numbers even though they could now offer nothing in game mechanics. It become a redundant process in general.

There was only one guild that actually sat down and said "Okay so we have this new House system thing, let's think of a concept" and that was the Crown Merchants. They literally changed their organization from a Magi based organization (something sadly none of the other magi houses seemed to really accomplish) into a organization that doesnt focus on skills or class, but on commerce. With this, the Crown Merchants became the first true House organization. They didnt even care of where your skills are from or what class you are, as long as you -can- make a profit, and so they accepted all profitable classes. Sadly since none of the other houses seemed to make the transformation, other mechanics had to be introduced to make Houses more...useful. Learning only from House tutors, no sharing of classes in the same city houses etc. I actually rather hated this change since it seemed like we were just turning back to the guild days :/.

Anyway thankfully now Shallam got a clean slate, and can make some actual Houses that focused on life and society in general rather than old-fashion skills and classes. Hope it works out for them.
    Templars got this eventually and refocused around Knighthood like all the Knight houses. And I think that's actually kind of good because Knighthood makes Achaea special. Every other RPG it's just a handout or something that is just assumed once you level up. But Achaea does an awesome job of making Knighthood actually mean something. (Random merch idea would be a parchment with your characters name and Knighthood etc in your order) (maybe a special achievement thing).

I don't think necessarily that all class focus is bad (there needs to be some for training) but that the center of the house should be something greater. So you could have multiple paths for specialization but the purpose has to be bigger and has to be Active (the last part was what was missing in old shallam as we had far too many dormant patrons half the time so people get lost in specialization and self-existence rather than what they are supposed to do).

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Can we have a city already I swear to god if I miss something to the shallam clan one more time because rp clans do not exist im going to break something.

• Asmodron said:
    That sounds like a generally boring concept though..im not even sure how it could be played out. "Sir i've made a discovery that molasses is hated by dervish!" "Excellent!"

It could be basically the counter of the Occultists. Do similar research/experiments/etc. but for the other side.

That being said, I'm personally absolutely fine with just burning heretics, alternatively! I just don't want another "Let's gather knowledge for the sake of knowledge and not actually do anything!" House - particularly since I'd probably have to join it eventually (since I'm magi).

Relaxing the class restrictions for Houses would be nice. Though, I'd hate to see it done in a way that results in people ignoring class RP even more. I think there's a good way to do it and a bad way to do it, and it'd have to be done carefully.

This discussion has been closed.