Refugees of Shallam, how are you coping?

Comments

• Tanris said:
    @Cooper: the child was a physical thing. As you might expect, someone was carrying it (what monster leaves a child on the floor of a dark cave). If you'd killed the person who had it (who ironically was the most untanky member of Babel's order), you'd have had success.
    Just to be the devils advocate, NPCs in inventories aren't exactly a common flag to look out for.
  • I stole the Empyreal tutor.
  • Seems fairly common sense to me.
  • Tanris said:
    Seems fairly common sense to me.
    I can see your point, but since there was a ritual taking place they were more looking for the boy (I think it was a boy?) being tied or chained up, or laying on a table, etc.

• Tvistor said:
    I stole the Empyreal tutor.
    Get your dirty paws off of Marhisa! :<
  • Cooper said:
    Tanris said:
    Seems fairly common sense to me.
    I can see your point, but since there was a ritual taking place they were more looking for the boy (I think it was a boy?) being tied or chained up, or laying on a table, etc.
    The ritual did not take place in Babel's temple.  (which obviously is hindsight)

This situation is quite similar to the sword though, isn't it?  (but on a much smaller scale)
  • Asmodron said:
    Daeir said:
    Looking in from the outside at all this, it does really feel like the recent event went ahead literally just to kick the refugees down further, especially if there was nothing they could really do to retrieve the infant. That's pretty poor, and it makes me feel bad that an actual Divine supported that kind of non-interaction by sanctioning the event and letting it proceed. I'm glad you put a whole bunch of work into submitting the plot and having it approved or whatever, but you honestly couldn't wait a couple of weeks for the refugees to sort themselves out before kicking them in the shins again?

I take back what I said earlier - that is really poor from both an IC and OOC perspective. Interactions are supposed to be fun for both sides - what is the point if there is no plausible counter or recourse to the plot that can be performed by the opposing side to alter the event?
    I have over 9000 faith that whoever's playing Babel wants literally nothing but to create enjoyment for everyone playing this game, whether they're on Team Nasty or Team Nice, and if things turned out otherwise - ie. you didn't enjoy it - it was either a misunderstanding or a mistake.
    Katia.
    I enjoyed being a plague victim. I miss it now and then to be fair. And the punishment was fully justified and IC on Babels part. 
    I knew going in that if I was going to poke a god, I was going to get beaten like a red headed step child :)
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Favonius said:

Skye said:

Well, barring the fact that their new Goddess just wtfpwnt Bal'met, I can barely recall the last player-driven Shallamese victory in recent times (let's say the last 6 months). 

Miramar and the Astraeans blowing up the Obelisk of Darkness?

I'm staying way away from commenting in this thread, as it's not my place, but if I'm remembering correctly, that was Notia, not Miramar and crew!

Believe it was the Obelisk...

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    edited December 2012
    Melodie said:
    Skye said:
    Well, barring the fact that their new Goddess just wtfpwnt Bal'met, I can barely recall the last player-driven Shallamese victory in recent times (let's say the last 6 months). 
    Miramar and the Astraeans blowing up the Obelisk of Darkness?
    I'm staying way away from commenting in this thread, as it's not my place, but if I'm remembering correctly, that was Notia, not Miramar and crew! Believe it was the Obelisk...
    No, it was the Astraeans who destroyed the Obelisk of Darkness. They performed a ritual to bring down the Scales constellation to mete out justice for what happened with Darkenwood and Celestia.
  • Completely forgot about Shallam smashing the Obelisk.

That might actually put Shallam up as top of the list when it comes to major event victories.
    Just for a comparrison as I'm bored:

Hashan: Sry guys, but I don't think you've won at all. Maybe we can count Narazar as it was Twilight's scheme? Idk.
    Cyrene: Defeated Theodelinda.
    Ashtan: Marvinogian (take 3), Sarranda.
    Shallam: Battle of the storm, obelisk of darkness, athame, the recent event stuff (let's not count that as everyone kind of got something out of it).
    Eleusis: Not involved enough with Eleusis to know if they win or lose much in their factional events, but they seem the happiest out of everyone (excluding exterminations), so good for them.
    Mhaldor: Aren't allowed to  win, against their rp. Hail suffering, etc.

Tl;dr: This attitude of we lose constantly in events is nonsense, and I get the impression the people who perpetuate it won't be happy until they're winning every time.

• Ashtan got raided by Super Guards from Mhaldor so the Maldaathi could take back the Infernal forge. No win situation for Ashtan really. All they did was get in the way and die while Mhaldor raiding party strolled in behind the advancing guards and took the forge.

Sometimes you aren't going to win. Sometimes you aren't meant to win.
  • edited December 2012
    I think the bigger complaint is not that they weren't meant to win, but that most of the time, they're not meant to win.

Edit: I'm not saying I agree or that it's true, just that this is the more major complaint.
  • Tanris said:

Completely forgot about Shallam smashing the Obelisk.

That might actually put Shallam up as top of the list when it comes to major event victories.

Hashan: Sry guys, but I don't think you've won at all. Maybe we can count Narazar as it was Twilight's scheme? Idk.
    Shallam: Battle of the storm, obelisk of darkness, athame, the recent event stuff (let's not count that as everyone kind of got something out of it).
    Eleusis: Not involved enough with Eleusis to know if they win or lose much in their factional events, but they seem the happiest out of everyone (excluding exterminations), so good for them.

Tl;dr: This attitude of we lose constantly in events is nonsense, and I get the impression the people who perpetuate it won't be happy until they're winning every time.

Oh honestly let's just all become one big Ashtan, we all know they are the favorite child.
  • Tanris said:

Um, the Miramar/obelisk thing was our response to Twilight capturing Miramar with the Eye of Proteus and nearly destroying the whole world with it. Destroying an obelisk isn't much compared to that.

• edited December 2012
    double post
  • Thread is increasingly derailed. Can you take the discussion about the equity of victory elsewhere? I'm actually interested in hearing how other Shallamese are coping, and maybe their opinions on where we should go
  • bored.
    I just log to read news and qq lately.

I think I spend more time reading the forums than in the game heh.

• edited December 2012
    I'm not big on reading or posting in the forums but I thought maybe I'd answer this question from my perspective and hope that I don't just come out as one of Cooper's aforementioned disliked half-dormant people.

I hated Shallam. Not because we lost or won or didn't get enough jollies off on our own things, but because of the incessant infighting, bickering, clique-ridden place that it was. Yet, it was a love-hate thing for me. I left Shallam months and months ago along with the Dawnstriders (I have a horrid memory, so don't expect me to mention dates, et cetera). I rejoined the Dawnstriders not but a few months ago and had IRL issues come up that took me away again. I did not rejoin Shallam, though.

I was able to return on the day after Shallam sank during this event and I was actually so completely intrigued that I joined the Refugees (since I was a Dawnstrider and was punted to the Nomads of Dawn, it wasn't difficult). I am a bit bored at times with sitting in a monastery without any clear direction other than the couple of orders given to us by Deucalion, but I'm also very excited to see the new direction that this all goes in. As far as the politics go, I don't think Halos should have backed down as he did. Then again, I'm not exactly sure right now was the time for Wyverex to contest either. Nothing is as clear-cut as everyone wants it to be or thinks it should be.

Reforming a NEW city, starting over with a new "constitution", new laws, a new government form would be great and a lot of hard work and if that's the way it's going to go, I'm excited to start this chapter of life with the Refugees. Many of you who state that this is a time to not rebuild but to make something new altogether, I hope, will understand that getting everything set up and settled isn't going to happen in a week or even a month. During this time, until we have some sort of semblance of city walls, things are either in a state of suspension or in upheaval- from either politics or outside influence (in example: raids). Not that I mind, it gives life as a refugee a much less "sit around and be bored every minute until someone hands you your new city on a platter without you having done anything to help" feeling.

Rebuilding Shallam would be even worse. There have been many good things about Shallam and many bad, but we have a chance to cast that off and start anew, riding on the coattails of the returned Deucalion and Aurora. So, hope is how I'm coping both in character and out of character. Even if I get frustrated and angry at Tanris and company when they raid, heh.

One more thing and then I think I'll close off my post. I think whoever mentioned houses is also right. It's a time for them to rebuild as well. The former Dawnstriders now the Nomads of Dawn have even been looking for sites to build a new house at and are trying to move forward and do the best we can with what we have. I think many of us have some excellent ideas and we've all been working together as a group instead of two or three people deciding everything without anyone else knowing. I'm not sure how the other former houses are coming about, but that's their own thing.

In conclusion, things are as they are. Things will get done. Hopefully there are those who are willing to set aside bullcrap and farce to work together instead of making everything a chore to be rushed through and done half-assed just to get it over with.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    @learyn - welcome back

Umm there's a lot of uncertainty for the refugees right now.  Halos did some pretty dumb things that made no sense or weren't simply worth arguing for but they weren't things that couldn't be fixed.  I don't understand why he dropped out (I did a little polling, pretty sure he would win) but what's done is done.  I'm not sure Wyverex is the best person for the job, its more that he started the no confidence vote.  Regardless, I don't envy whoever takes up the job, not with all the unknowns we have to wait for (new city?  new definition of Good?  Houses?)

Houses wise, I'm definitely concerned everyone is just going to rebuild the houses in the same way.  IMO (and of course you would assume I'm being bias) the Templars were the only house that didn't need a big overhaul and even then I still plan to overhaul much of it before I dump HL on someone else.  Not sure Good needs 5 houses (no other city has more than 4, Eleusis only 2), I don't want to see CLers and HLers carrying dual roles (there are potentially 22 leadership positions per city, 7 City Council Leaders, 10 ministers, 5 House Leaders).  I might even propose term limits just to keep fresh blood and to avoid houses taking on too much of their HLers personal vision and not of the collective members.
  • edited December 2012
    I like the term limits idea.

I've talked to Wyverex, Halos, and most of the former HLs ( @Achilles I think you're the only one I haven't). Simply rebuilding Shallam and the Houses as they were is not on the table from practically anybody. Almost everyone is interested in bottom-up changes, starting with the leaner, less ambiguous definition of Good that we're expecting out of Deucalion and Aurora.

Edit: As for retaining various leaders from Old Shallam, I think it really depends on the position. I can't see anyone but Yen as Treasurer, nor do I see any reason to change it. The big cultural posts, like War, Culture, and to a lesser extent Security, Maritime, and Ambassador, these should be changed up and have fresher people installed.

The House clans choose their own leaders, and any renaissance for them needs to come from within. I'm already seeing a lot of indications of the Sentaari wanting to move away from our wishy-washy roots. A decade (RL) ago the Sentaari were dragged kicking and screaming to the Good side, and it's tainted us since. Time to double down.
  • edited December 2012
    Cooper said:
    Tanris said:

Um, the Miramar/obelisk thing was our response to Twilight capturing Miramar with the Eye of Proteus and nearly destroying the whole world with it. Destroying an obelisk isn't much compared to that.

I think that's exactly the point.  When people calm down, I don't think anyone really thinks that events are being structured so that Shallam will lose.  It's about Shallam getting to play protagonist.  All of the events Tanris lists are events where the protagonist is the other faction.  The frustration arises from the fact that Shallam is the object to the other faction's subject.  This is a function of patronage.  I think under Aurora/Deucalion it will change - give it a chance.

But I think it's important to note that rephrased as per the above, the Shallamese complaint is absolutely valid, and we have a much better chance of making a better game if we recognise where other people have valid points rather than always responding "This is ridiculous, because blah".  That just hardens positions, and spurs mutual defensiveness and you end up with what happened in Shallam where the "militant" faction and the "truffle" faction (both of whom had valid points, and served valid roles in the faction) regarded each other as utterly insane and the absolute embodiment of everything that was wrong.  It doesn't help.  I love #winning as much as the next internet troll, but in a thread trying to work out the best way forward I think it's healthier to aim for "I see where you're coming from, but..." rather than "you crazy, dawg" /randy.

Unless it's Tanaar posting of course.

• Tanaar said:
    People without a Shallamese main need to stop commenting on the direction we should take. It isn't helping, and most of you don't really have a clue how our playerbase works outside of the bitching of vocal minorities on the forums. I don't presume to tell Mhaldor or Ashtan how to act.
    Nah. Shallam has too much of an impact on the rest of the game to say "If you're name's not on the list you can't have an opinion."
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Have an opinion, but be informed. Most of those people only have a very narrow outside view, and it's just not helpful.

@Vansittart I have the balls to post under my main's name. Maybe you should reexamine your own testicular fortitude if you're going to troll people but have to do so anonymously
  • Tanaar said:
    Have an opinion, but be informed. Most of those people only have a very narrow outside view, and it's just not helpful.

@Vansittart I have the balls to post under my main's name. Maybe you should reexamine your own testicular fortitude if you're going to troll people but have to do so anonymously
    Err, I'm 'Liking' @Tanaar's response to my comment, not his shot-to-the-nuts at Vansittart. I'm staying out of that, but hopefully it will continue to escalate.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Cooper said:
    Tanris said:

There were no plans on destroying the world with the Eye, Twilight just used the Eye to capture Miramar, to free the hounds She had imprisoned (a certain poetic justice there), and then subsequently to create Nocturne's Reach, not sure where destroying anything came in really, any destruction in the whole event was from the Shallamese.
  • Tanaar said:
    Have an opinion, but be informed. Most of those people only have a very narrow outside view, and it's just not helpful.

This is my main. 

Addressing the point above though, which you've now made three times by the way - I think "please don't talk about it" is a fairly terrible comment.  Outsiders often have interesting perspectives which you can miss from the inside.  If they are factually wrong, or you can help focus their commentary with an insider's perspective then go for it.  But begging that everyone just doesn't disagree with you, or have a view, or that discussion is somehow inherently invalid is the hallmark of someone who cannot justify their opinions on their own merits.

• Asmodron said:
    I say we scrap the whole idea of a New Shallam and just make a new city with a different cultural focus RP. Dark forests!!
    This is the comment I was specifically responding to, and the kind of snarky nonsense that doesn't help in the least. If you can find some kind of "interesting perspective" in it, go ahead.

Genuine, constructive comments from outsiders that have long-standing interaction with Shallam are fine. I may simply have phrased my rebuke poorly if I gave a contrary impression.

As for you, your character is 28 IC years old, yet you referenced Shallam elsewhere as being without significant divine guidance for 3 RL years. You're not really fooling anyone.
This discussion has been closed.