Refugees of Shallam, how are you coping?

For most of the adventurers of Sapience, our City, House and Order are a major part of defining who we are, and the core of what we do from day to day. As a magi, my ties to my House are particularly strong, not least of all because I'm reliant on it as the core of my crystalism and enchantment abilities. I can't imagine what it would be like to have all that suddenly taken away. There are some from Shallam who have endured a triple whammy, losing City, House and Order all more or less at once.

We've seen an upbeat and optimistic public post from Silas. How are others coping with the loss?

Comments

• @Achilles, I may completely naive to the situation but rather than just sitting around, isn't that what you should be doing?  

Regrouping, writing new scrolls, laws, arguing over things, deciding what you guys want?  A city is made up more of it's people than it's buildings and all that stuff isn't going to just happen because there's shiny new walls.  
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Idelisa said:
    @Achilles, I may completely naive to the situation but rather than just sitting around, isn't that what you should be doing?  

Regrouping, writing new scrolls, laws, arguing over things, deciding what you guys want?  A city is made up more of it's people than it's buildings and all that stuff isn't going to just happen because there's shiny new walls.  
    People are transcribing old scrolls into the refugee clans as I write this, referencing the Constitution, Citadel etc.  Just add it to a journal, make it a history book not what we will use to rebuild the same exact mismanaged city.
  • the problem, as I see it, is that the fact that the problems with Shallam were never agreed upon enough in Shallam to change them. I mean, there were issues, but the way things were was the way people had managed to change it to become. 

And without some sort of divine intervention, things will be the same, because the old leadership is still there and the old ways things were are going to be the only compromise everyone is going to be able to come to

• Veldrin said:
    Waiting impatiently for when we can rebuild.
    if. o.o
  • OOC, it sucks a whole lot. And it only doesn't suck if people aren't bashing in my spots or if I can have some nice interaction with people. We can't raid (city destruction), we can't get raided, we get idiots from Mhaldor walking into our safe room and taunting us, we have no guards or totems so we're basically sitting ducks if we are getting raided and dare leave the peaced room. We don't have enchanters, we don't have a forge, we don't have shops, we don't have House halls, we don't have HWHO/CWHO (which is pretty useful to see people without gems and their classes), we can't change titles (except Halos), we can't really do House-cum-clan promotion as well.

IC, a city doesn't matter because it doesn't affect my ideology or actions in any way, really. It is really killing the cohesion that a 'home base' can have, though.
  • Lyr said:
    OOC, it sucks a whole lot. And it only doesn't suck if people aren't bashing in my spots or if I can have some nice interaction with people. We can't raid (city destruction), we can't get raided, we get idiots from Mhaldor walking into our safe room and taunting us, we have no guards or totems so we're basically sitting ducks if we are getting raided and dare leave the peaced room. We don't have enchanters, we don't have a forge, we don't have shops, we don't have House halls, we don't have HWHO/CWHO (which is pretty useful to see people without gems and their classes), we can't change titles (except Halos), we can't really do House-cum-clan promotion as well.
    I think you really hit the nail on the head with your comments, Lyr. I don't know whether newbies can choose to join the refugees as easily as they can join any other city, but even if they can the fact that the city has been destroyed is a pretty big deterrent. Every year without a new Shallam is a year without fresh blood renewing the ranks.

There must also be sentimental aspects of Shallam and it's Houses that are missed as well, whether architecture or denizens or other quirks. Or are there things about old Shallam that are generally reviled by it's own citizenry? If you had the choice would you want the old Shallam back, or some different new Shallam, or a mixture of both?

• @Blujixapug I agree that we should work on and perfect an ideology, customize things, and basically rework. However, at this point we don't even know if we'll get a new city (plz yessss), but I'd really like for it to be in stages: stage one, very small with the basics, designed with optimum growth potential, but at least we have a place to start. Right now, we have no foundation to start building on. Then we can start doing the customization, House building, etc. But we need a city, and to a lesser extent, Houses, or we WILL die off, and not that slowly. Without novices coming in, we lose a lot. Then older folks will get fed up and leave.
  • edited December 2012
    Could not agree with Blujixapug more.  This is an incredible, incredible opportunity to create five new houses (or however many you want, for that matter).  It baffles me that people are literally just copying old house scrolls and trying to set up the same damn thing as before.  

I will even go out on a limb and dare say it - perhaps you should have houses around ideologies and not around classes, allowing the same class in more than one house again (or at least unite several classes of a single ideological type under a new house).  Priests and magi and bards go together as scholars, etc.  Obviously this should be incredibly strictly monitored, keeping in mind the lessons we learned from last time around (and also keeping in mind the tremendous amount of effort it took to change it to the current, correct setup).

Also wish Kard, Veldrin, etc. would get automatically bumped from house leadership.  Not necessarily because they were bad (that targeted a discussion is probably not appropriate for the forums anyways), just to bring in fresh people in who are known for creativity and engaging roleplay so they can focus primarily on those. 

One last point - you shouldn't care too much about novice influx.  This is an opportunity to craft a new faction that has considerably more attractive power to older and more established players, both roleplayers and artied fighters.  Leave the novices to places that will have less blood and guts and complex politics for the time being.
  • I was optimistic at first, Deucalion and Aurora seem very badass. Seeing the same old players in leadership positions, already reverting back to the previous house structure, theme,names, etc is disappointing. Everyone seems to want to pull it in their own direction, I don't have the time or energy for all of it. 

All I know is not having a city, house or order is very boring. 
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    but @darroth - we always have interesting plot lines like kidnappings that lead us into obvious traps where we can die.  
  • Yeah, this latest "mini event" was the stupidest thing ever for our side. No interaction on our end but making us RP a horrible loss while Babel "wins" again. Fun times abound.

• Lyr said:
    Yeah, this latest "mini event" was the stupidest thing ever for our side. No interaction on our end but making us RP a horrible loss while Babel "wins" again. Fun times abound.
    This one time on Shala-Khulia...
  • LyrLyr
    edited December 2012
    Sorry, "ever" was clearly an exaggeration for effect. Definitely not the worst ever, just kind of disappointing.
  • Hey, they were just trying to give us some quality interaction. I mean, who doesn't enjoy events where they have no control over anything whatsoever and the end result is always the same. You just have a bad attitude man. 
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    I was very surprised your titles were not taken away after the city was destroyed.
  • You guys really have zero idea what you are talking about.  The event wasn't for you, LE GASP.
  • Having lost the effigy. Pillar of the Moon. Scimitar of Yen-Sorte. All that so we can all see that Bal'met is a real threat. Having people come in to kill the denizens and later count cause for defending them +buddies. Having people pick stuff up from the ground because there are no totems. Having a whole lot of 18 year olds preaching to you with their omniscient teenage wisdom. Every idiot being smarter than all the others, each with their ultra wise version of Good which is Gooder than Good (more catholic than pope). Still being the receiving end of Babel's antics because lol Ashtan needs rp.

I don't mind. Just give me totems back. At least the Ministry of Security has a good excuse for being a joke, seeing that it doesn't really exist anymore.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I'm always up for totem work. ;)
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• *frown kyrra*
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Did you know that it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile? Plus you get those little wrinkles in weird places on your face.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• To be fair (as I said in ranting), you didn't have to do something so blatently stupid as rushing into me on a totem plus a shrine plus the most secure area Babel's order has available. As I also said there, admittedly you had no way of knowing there would be more doable avenues to hit us later, as we do tend to do most of our order stuff there. Unfortunate, but it happens. Use it to galvanise the apathetic people.

It does happen that you lose events, and it sometimes is disheartening. It also helps a lot if you make the most of it and try to get something out of the loss. Also, I'd honestly not be surprised if New Hope was chosen because of everyone (generalisation) complaining they had nothing to do.

Ashtan won't be on top when it gets a concrete ideology people will need to commit to. Until that happens its going to have an advantage shared somewhat by Cyrene, but have the benefit its also home to a concrete faction. Its kind of like if you had Cyrene, then through in Shallam's ideology there so it had all of the people wanting to pk for good plus the zerg.

Events 355, btw. Yes, we do lose (we got told to try to destroy an outdoors room vs about a 7 man cata plus huge melee group, in guard range. It was possible for us to win theoretically, just not in practice. We lost far more than a bit of morale from it too from an IC standpoint, although we did get Babel which was awesome).

Sorry if you guys didn't get anything out of it, guess that's just how it happens sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.