Mining and Legions

Comments

• Ignoring the cost, larger mines are always better (faster mining, more guards, more squads getting experience), so it's just a matter of how much you can afford and whether or not the benefits are worth the extra cost.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    That clears things up a lot! I was under the mistaken impression that the size of the mine you could put in was strictly dependant on the size of the lode.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• @siduri wish I knew that earlier :(

• edited July 2015
    This early on, higher level legions are pretty valuable both for attacking and defending, so for people with plenty of gold already it's probably worth using large mines just for the extra experience. Especially if you're just starting out with level 1 legions and need to catch up to or defend against the people with level 2s.

For people who already have decently levelled legions, I expect medium will end up being the best choice most of the time.
  • Sena said:
    This early on, higher level legions are pretty valuable both for attacking and defending, so for people with plenty of gold already it's probably worth using large mines just for the extra experience. Especially if you're just starting out with level 1 legions and need to catch up to or defend against the people with level 2s.

For people who already have decently levelled legions, I expect medium will end up being the best choice most of the time.
    The extra experience is also very valuable for the mining squads themselves, as the higher the mining squad level (and higher the spec), the faster commodities are produced, the faster experience is gained.

I would tend to agree with your last point. If you're not trying to 'power level' squads, medium mines seem to offer a good balance between investment costs and output.
  • Mining has entirely overwhelmed me
  • edited July 2015
    In all honesty I love it. I don't love the getting attacked bit, at least not yet, but I think it has potential to be fun, even if the up front cost is still a bit insane for anyone not dragon.

Although at this rate I can pretty much kiss house credits goodbye since wood is vanishing super quick and going up in price like iron was.

• Tharvis said:
    Shunsui said:
    Time to implement lumber yards along with mines!
    eleusis response : WE WILL KILL ANYONE WHO PUTS A LUMBER YARD BUT WE'LL PUT A FEW OURSELVES BECAUSE CITY IMPROVEMENTS AND HOUSING!

In all seriousness, lumber yards specifically won't happen -simply because- there is a Nature faction
    To be fair Eleusis hasn't boycotted the Denizen sale of wood commodities. nor the use of this wood  commodities themselves for too many uses to list. This wood has to come from somewhere, might as well say it comes from player run lumber yards!
  • Shunsui said:
    I will end you and your lumber yards! Rawr.

• Draekar said:
    Tharvis said:
    Shunsui said:
    eleusis response : WE WILL KILL ANYONE WHO PUTS A LUMBER YARD BUT WE'LL PUT A FEW OURSELVES BECAUSE CITY IMPROVEMENTS AND HOUSING!

In all seriousness, lumber yards specifically won't happen -simply because- there is a Nature faction
    To be fair Eleusis hasn't boycotted the Denizen sale of wood commodities. nor the use of this wood  commodities themselves for too many uses to list. This wood has to come from somewhere, might as well say it comes from player run lumber yards!
    The wood cutters harvest trees ans collect driftwood in careful collaboration with Nature. Right? Tbh, its just one of those things that if we focus on it we'll just be killing the fun and handicapping ourselves. Giving us an alternative (living wood commodity) would be cool though.
  • Rangor said:

Draekar said:
    Tharvis said:
    Shunsui said:

The wood cutters harvest trees ans collect driftwood in careful collaboration with Nature. Right? Tbh, its just one of those things that if we focus on it we'll just be killing the fun and handicapping ourselves. Giving us an alternative (living wood commodity) would be cool though.
    I am also down with renewable and sustainable methods of wood creation! (as long as I get a lumbar yard :+1:  )
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    update from the Fissure of Echoes : 

survey region impureice

There were no lodes found nearby this mining camp that would yield that commodity.
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:

survey region impureice

There were no lodes found nearby this mining camp that would yield that commodity.
    Even lodes are afraid of the wraiths.

More seriously, the problem is likely that people are not mining impureice elsewhere, meaning there are no available ice lodes to generate there. I know I've seen at least two unclaimed lodes when I did a sweep a bit ago. The other factor is that ice was previously only produced in one place, so it's entirely possible that the admins want to keep ice production lower, and thus a lower spawn rate for lodes.
    Inuad said:
    Tharvis said:

survey region impureice

More seriously, the problem is likely that people are not mining impureice elsewhere, meaning there are no available ice lodes to generate there. I know I've seen at least two unclaimed lodes when I did a sweep a bit ago. The other factor is that ice was previously only produced in one place, so it's entirely possible that the admins want to keep ice production lower, and thus a lower spawn rate for lodes.
    true, it makes the fissure a bit useless for lodes, though, since ice has the (seemingly) lowest spawn rate and ice is the only thing that -can- spawn up there

• Tharvis said:
    Inuad said:
    Tharvis said:

survey region impureice

true, it makes the fissure a bit useless for lodes, though, since ice has the (seemingly) lowest spawn rate and ice is the only thing that -can- spawn up there
    Yeah. It might be worthwhile to add one or two other possible commodity lodes to the polar region. I mean, a mine is eventually going to hit dirt instead of ice, especially when built in the wall of a fissure. Plus, it would be nice to actually use that camp! Alternatively, they could restrict ice more, either completely removing it from every location except polar, or greatly reducing the % chance of a lode spawning elsewhere.
  • Ice takes forever to mine, so it'll take forever to spawn. 

On that note, @Cyrene please put money back into your trade market, I promise I'll sell in groups this time!

i'm a rebel

• edited July 2015
    Tesha said:
    On that note, @Cyrene please put money back into your trade market, I promise I'll sell in groups this time!
     Hmm.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

@Tesha cyrene seems to have frozen their trade ministry until the "commodity craze" calmed down

• Tesha said:
    No.
  • edited July 2015
    Draekar said:
    Rangor said:

Draekar said:
    Tharvis said:
    Shunsui said:

I am also down with renewable and sustainable methods of wood creation! (as long as I get a lumbar yard :+1:  )
    Allow Eleusians to use manure in place of wood for mines/city improvements/housing.

ETA: Like, as a fertilizer.
  • Theris said:
    Draekar said:
    Rangor said:

Draekar said:
    Tharvis said:
    Shunsui said:

Allow Eleusians to use manure in place of wood for mines/city improvements/housing.

ETA: Like, as a fertilizer.
    I can't be the only one that thought of a dirt house on Minecraft that smells like a ton of poo.......

Right? Guys?
  • Inuad said:
    Tharvis said:
    @Ruth it'll help ease the surge in demand for iron, yes, but I'm unsure about wood. Should keep an eye on it, I think
    Wood, at least, had much much higher production rates before mining went in (In the range of 30-50 wood per 15 or 30 minute period per village). Which isn't to say it should be looked at, but at least it had better rates before all this.
    The production rate hasn't changed for wood, either up or down, though looks like I do need to increase it!

• Sena said:
    Ignoring the cost, larger mines are always better (faster mining, more guards, more squads getting experience), so it's just a matter of how much you can afford and whether or not the benefits are worth the extra cost.
    Correct, though importantly, as you said, that's ignoring the cost. Your cost per comm will be higher in some cases from putting a large mine on a lode. It just depends on the comm in question and the lode size in question. 

• Daeir said:

Small/mediums are cheaper to set up and extract slower, and are literally 1/3 and half upkeep in comparison to a large. Minimizing your costs is important to some degree if you want to keep things profitable - upkeep is the largest drain of your profits. For non-lucrative lodes or common things like coal, you'd probably be fine with a small/med on all but the largest lodes. You'd be crazy to not put a large mine on something like a massive impure ice, gems, gold.. etc.
    Not a perfect description of strategy but a pretty good one that serves as a good general rule of thumb.
  • Yep, a lot of them don't, and the supply of them is similarly limited, just like in the village system. The system accounts for all of this already. When we have reasonable ways to create more demand for other comms, we'll increase their supply, but there's no hurry any more than there was a hurry to create a need for things sold by village comm shops.

We're also definitely not interested in having NPCs buy comms. Not looking to make mining into a gold faucet as part of the reason it exists is, like comm buying from villages, to be a gold sink.

• Mission accomplished! All my golds all gone :)
  • (Can I use bone to manufacture skeletal armies to take over the world, plz?)

I'm having fun with the mining system so far. Seems to be enough out there to allow everyone who wants to participate to do so too, even if not at a profit.

Is there a way to restore a legion back to 20 squad members, once it's lost a bunch? Maybe we could be able to combine squads, if we have multiple squads below 20?

Being able to buy and sell squads would also be pretty cool. Also the ability to buy and sell mines - seems you can already do this by intentionally removing your soldiers and then allowing someone else to assault your mine. Why not just be able to sell/buy them?

• No way to refresh a squad squad or combine them, no. Unlikely to change that. It'd require averaging together squad xp, which I don't want to do.

Also definitely no way to buy and sell squads. The system depends on the idea that if you want to attack other players, the only way to do it is mine and thus expose yourself to attack by other players. Don't see making ways to buy and sell mines either. You have the tools to effect that transfer already if you really want to, but for the most part I don't think there's going to be a lot of demand to do so.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    I can already faintly see what the selling prices for the mineable comms will be, once they are potentially phased out from denizen comm shops. It's sort of interesting to watch the comm market as the prices fluctuate.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"