Quick Combat Questions

Comments

• It's unblockable.
  • if it's unblockable, how come runies tank it all day? Does Algiz reduce unblockable?
  • Algiz does, yeah. And if that's unblockable, then holy cow. That's nuts.
  • Algiz is reduce all, so yes, it reduces unblockable.
  • ...blunt, no? Also judging off the deathsight.
  • Anedhel said:
    Hmm. I thought weaponry wasn't supposed to mix with class skills cuz it makes some things too easy.

Not mixed with entity balance. Golems don't use entity balance, they use equilibrium. That was also a sensitivity pummel, of course it's going to hurt.

• Cynlael said:
    Anedhel said:
    Hmm. I thought weaponry wasn't supposed to mix with class skills cuz it makes some things too easy.

Not mixed with entity balance. Golems don't use entity balance, they use equilibrium. That was also a sensitivity pummel, of course it's going to hurt.
    You could also theoretically just prioritise sensitivity and deafness above all while prone vs a Magi seeing as they have to prone you before they use pummel, or no? If they have to prone&break, you'd probably have enough time to put deafness up before they regain balance/eq to throw axe/pummel. 
  • They have to use hypothermia before they can pummel, which requires you to be frozen.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Eh? Look at the log, sensitivity is given at the same time as the Pummel, so you don't have any opportunity to "prioritize" it. Deafness takes ~2.5s to come up after eating, and axe throw/Golem EQ is faster than that. Aegoth got me with this little gem a while back, and while it's definitely strong, it doesn't seem that unavoidable. With a single leg break, you should be able to stand before the second (sensitive) Pummel comes. A double leg setup is more dangerous, but no more dangerous than Destroy if he went that route, and the Pummel route can't sustain crippled limbs like Destroy can.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited August 2016
    Pretty sure you don't have to be prone to pummel, just be frozen stiff and have hypothermia, which prevents curing said frozen-ness. So regardless of standing, it's still gonna be a toughie to get away from, pretty sure hypothermia is a restoration cure. Not saying it's unavoidable; very much agreeing with ^^^^^^, pretty sure they can get 3 before you can actually up and outright walk off.

• Didn't realise Golemn EQ was < 2.5 seconds, but even still doesn't that necessitate being able to do it x2 while they're prone? Is that possible from a single leg break? 
  • edited August 2016
    Don't need prone to pummel. Just frozen. One leg break under timeflux is ~6 seconds, which is resto balance. 

The one leg variant is pretty easily countered with frozen priorities > resto breaks. There's lengthier setups that make it harder, but the quick and dirty one leg is definitely counterable. People just don't have the priority swaps. Source: am Mage. Am killer. 

• edited August 2016
    No, you stand before the second. You're still frozen though and get pummel again, probably not sensitive. Flying is the best option that I've found. 

Shield is possible, but since you're hypothermic for 6 seconds still, I think they have time  to kill shield and pummel, or maybe they can strip/pummel? Unsure on that one.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Staff strike earth/pummel for shield. I tumble over a wall or fly. 

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Yeah, once you stand, you can run/fly/leap/etc. Even shield/web can work though, since that stops the sensitivity and buys you a moment to heal. 2x Pummel usually isn't straight lethal.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • In addition to the above, I usually just flex and smile while I tank 2-3 pummels. Mind over matter, etc 

• IIRC, the one leg set up even lets you stand before the first pummel. 6s resto -> 2.2s air strike + 3s deepfreeze + 2.5s frozen + hypo. Idk about flying, a good mage can embed gravity and non-aerial flight balance gets extended by +2s because of frozen, so the mage can trivially chase in most cases. If they have an RoF, I'm think they can fly + summon golem + pummel, but not too sure on that. Shield also runs into earthstrike + pummel. But yeah, all you really need to is delay for 4s, and then you're good. The problem comes up when they can fork into two leg or two leg torso or leg torso setups with no change in execution -- then you can get really screwed.
  • edited August 2016
    One leg pummel is pretty easy to counter. Also: saving tree tattoo for the deepfreeze can save your ass more often than not. I can't tell you how many pummels have been thwarted by tree tattoo. 

Priorities are the key. It's kind of like Heartseed, though a scenario in which having chills/hypothermia prio > leg resto fuck you over would be where the mage has your torso prepped and breaks it in tandem with hypothermia (waterstrike torso/hypothermia). Pummel can really only be executed cleanly if the victim prios legs over chills (though the real trick is to watch for leg resto applies, THEN deepfreeze. There's more room for error on a double leg break).
  • The best counter I came up with was having the mage not enemy me.
  • Mizik said:
    The best counter I came up with was having the mage not enemy me.
    I can't believe I did that :(
  • So... lust Tarot? Does that work?
  • I think so, but most people auto-reject

• It instantly unenemies you from the person.

Well timed Lust would work.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Reject uses (and not just requires) balance too, right? I don't know how much, but it may be enough that the balance cost would be sufficient to throw things off, even if they do reject/enemy.
  • Allies is balanceless, reject requires and uses balance.

• Eq I thought 

• Or  the death talisman talon!

• Borran said:
    Or  the death talisman talon!
    Doesn't cure shivering or frozen, I think? It also has a super long cooldown, so while you might be able to use it to save yourself once, it's not something I'd rely upon.
  • Dunn said:
    Eq I thought 
    Ah yeah my fault. Is EQ

• Dunn said:
    Don't need prone to pummel. Just frozen. One leg break under timeflux is ~6 seconds, which is resto balance. 

The one leg variant is pretty easily countered with frozen priorities > resto breaks. There's lengthier setups that make it harder, but the quick and dirty one leg is definitely counterable. People just don't have the priority swaps. Source: am Mage. Am killer. 
    Quick and dirty. Mmmm.