Quick Combat Questions

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Won't get you a DSB since their legs aren't level 2, but that's sure as hell annoying. 

Carve Epseth upset > impale they would writhe before you got bal

could be a good spot for a quick brain tho

• I think that's the point, or a free head shot. I don't think Kenway realistically expects to get a DSB on a no-leg prone.
  • He didn't state his intentions so I tried to see what he could do is all. 

• KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Yeah was just thinking precision overhand. But no idea how this never crossed my mind 'cause I do the same shit as SnB

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Kenway said:
    Well shit.
    Not sure how I hadn't thought of this...
    Carve epseth upset
    I've been doing this for months...:)

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • How would you be able to brain on that? If you impale wouldn't they heal their leg/writhe then stand before you got bal back? 

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I think you are confusing things.

He'd prone them while they are still off-balance from shield and then overhead/brain once before they can recover balance to get up. No one's really talking about impaling.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Isn't 2h balance slower than practically every class, though?
    Kiet said:
    Isn't 2h balance slower than practically every class, though?
    It might need a bit of timing, but CARVE is rather fast.

• Re: 2h venoms-

I've found hewing arms with alternating curare/xentio is a massive bitch (lethargy + clumsy is epic levels of horrible for anyone that can miss, and it works best on other 2handers).

If for some reason the person isn't parrying head, alternating overhand with prefarar and underhand with curare does some pretty crazy damage, with nausea ticking away and them taking sensi damage hits, as well!

Situational, though, of course! Curare'll be the go-to, but you -can- work other venoms in there.

• Shirszae said:
    Kiet said:
    How fast?
  • Kiet said:
    Shirszae said:
    Kiet said:
    How fast?

With a level 3 bastard sword (unsure if weapon speed affects it or not), it's 1.7-1.8s :D
    weapon speed affects it, yes.

• Too slow for any of my classes :D
  • It'll work fine if they're on bal when you touch shield. Which is what they're discussing, not using carve as a general timing attack to prone.
  • Oh, then yes.
  • Can someone give advice on how to deal with being permananently stunned from a Bard? I am an Apostate. It breaks all my momentum and I have to run more than anything else. There was literally periods where I was stunned for 7 seconds straight :D

• edited July 2016
    I know it feels that way, but Pesante stun is under a second IIRC. Having said that, we've probably been brainwashed and it is actually 7 seconds because I -hate- fighting bards. I still get nervous pushing my own offense while receiving those stuns because their locks seem to come out of nowhere.

It's unfortunate because your class is so heavily momentum based, but you either need to get to a point where they need to force a cure decision (i.e. kelp stack into a paralyse slickness stare if that's still possible) OR you need to actively hinder with something like shadowstrike. They either react (shield/run/cry) or they get to eat a few seconds of your unhindered offense. Just my 2c.

EDIT: Unless it was a Percussia stack (if you saw several instances of sonic booms coming to a head)... then you just gotta run and let that play out.

• @Dunn thanks so much! I forgot about Shadowstrike, will give that a try (they cannot Dwinnu out of that one, right?). It just felt so freaking obnoxious being not able to do anything for the entire fight, and this was with me leaning heavily on clumsiness. Also, as soon as I had gained any momentum, then Dirge, run :(
  • Dirge is a channel when the Necromancer is in the room. That means they are paused! Take advantage.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Percussia stack is no longer possible :'(

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • @Saira Pesante stun should only be .2 seconds. Make sure you're curing paralysis first or that's going to hinder you a ton.

You could try forcing a kelp swap to hinder them ASAP (sicken/asthma til asthma sticks then sicken/sicken twice). I'm assuming they'll eat kelp at that point and stay paralysed. Then do asthma/clumsy, sicken/weary, sicken/sicken some more. Hopefully they swap again but kelp doesn't cure asthma. Then impatience/anorexia for the lock.

This is imprecise, but the idea is to stick asthma, then give manaleech and slickness with sicken, with the assumption they'll eat kelp when they have asthma/slickness instead of curing paralysis (stops them attacking). Then stick asthma/clumsy/weary, and do the sickens again for manaleech/slickness, and imp/anorexia to seal.
  • I've been able to gather information from the thread I made, and a couple of PM's from other people.

I've decided against picking two classes, and am going to invest in just one. The choice is down to three. Occultist (My favorite skillsets), 2Hand Runewarden (perhaps my favorite combat methods) and Monk (amazing to me with how much it benefits from artifacts.)

I will be artifacting the character to the teeth, so what I'd really like, if you guys don't mind, is giving your thoughts on which class you personally feel will be able to go the farthest. My primary concern is 1v1 or 1vMultiple combat, but I'd like you to consider group combat and raiding as well. Hell, even get in, ganking people and get out type of play too.

Which gets your vote? Assume very high personal skill level (not saying I have it, but that's the goal right? To get good at a class?) and heavy monetary investment.
  • Saira said:
    Can someone give advice on how to deal with being permananently stunned from a Bard? I am an Apostate. It breaks all my momentum and I have to run more than anything else. There was literally periods where I was stunned for 7 seconds straight :D

Have you tried the paragon of stunnificiation?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    It really does depend on how skilled you feel you are, and how much work you really want to put into it.

Monk is always a good choice, very well rounded offensively, has good defensive options if you know how to use them, and I can't really think of a situation that they're at a real disadvantage.

Occultist is scarier than Monk in my opinion, if you're a true scripting/combat maestro. A lot of us aren't really sure how you're supposed to survive it once the Occultist is past a certain skill threshold, but that threshold is rather high, so it will take a lot of work before you start seeing real returns.

2H Runewarden is terrifying and easy. Of the three, you can perform at the high tiers of combat with this class with the least effort. Most of the game can't survive a 2H Runewarden with a Dreadblade for any length of time, so half the time you won't even need to use your finishers, but there's still a lot of potential and nuance in the class if you want to really get into it.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Monk with Artefacts, imho. 1v1, group, raids and with wings you'll have the utility of movement. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • edited July 2016
    I'd do monk, if only for DELIVERANCE. But @Sobriquet touches on a lot of the other advantages - it's solid 1v1 if you know the classes you're facing and Telepathy and Kaido are fantastic group fighting tools. Plus, you can poop out stupid amounts of front-loaded damage with little to no preparation.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    2h also probably has the best bang/buck ratio of those three.

Assuming you're gonna go for lvl 3 stat/regen/sip on any of the three you'd just want like:

Dreadblade - 1600
    Stick - 300
    Stone - 350
    Bracers - Ice + Isaz + Tendons
    Mount/collar - 250
    SoA Armour - 1000
    Shadowcloak - 800 (being able to walk in when they're running without them noticing would be A+)

That's all I can really think of. Could grab a hammer if you want but honestly with the way 2h artie weapons scale right now there's no point. No one is going to live long enough for you to do fancy hammer stuff.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Monk is by far the most well-rounded and with artefacts you have no real excuse to die to anyone and no excuse as to why you can't kill anyone. Historically many of the best PvPers have been Monk and destroyed with it: Dumah, Rennyn, Krian, Jarrel, Jhui... it's just amazing at everything
  • I'm the least scared by monks out of those three choices, TBH. Unless it's Jhui. Artied 2h makes me pause briefly regardless of the player, tho.