Undead Rebellion/War

Comments

• We had defense points removed? Really?

Was there any consistency in this event?
  • Yeah, but, I suspect this won't be last we see of the system. And it was a little late since friday, when we made the crucial mistake of attacking when people could defend.

It looks like how this ended up working was that defense points weren't supposed a thing, but while they were removed from Hashan and Ashtan on saturday, the ability to gain them still wasn't removed. The final score then came down to:

Ashtan with 13 real points, each of their assaults being successful, but all of their defense points that had gotten them up to 17-18 not counting.

Hashan with 13 points, every assault being successful

Eleusis had 12 points, with four successful assaults day one (we nabbed a stone off killing Alrena), three on day two (and two failures), and then five today. The medallions read 14, but two of those were from today's defenses.

Targ and Bella's group had much less.

So assuming that's right, the early events would have served as a tiebreaker, or were worth some number of points on their own, which brought Hashan to victory.

I dunno, thought? Confirm/deny?
  • Nicola said:
    You all have to stop taking what's said on TMC as verbatim. (Defence points weren't removed.)
    Can we at least get a little breakdown on how the event scores were calculated, then? Ashtan had mega bugs and problems in the first 2 phases that put them behind literally irl days, but came out winning the last phase by 6 points or 50% more than the next highest person. Were the bugs completely ignored when calculated the final result?

• Keorin said:
    Yeah, but, I suspect this won't be last we see of the system. And it was a little late since friday, when we made the crucial mistake of attacking when people could defend.

It looks like how this ended up working was that defense points weren't supposed a thing, but while they were removed from Hashan and Ashtan on saturday, the ability to gain them still wasn't removed. The final score then came down to:

Ashtan with 13 real points, each of their assaults being successful, but all of their defense points that had gotten them up to 17-18 not counting.

Hashan with 13 points, every assault being successful

Eleusis had 12 points, with four successful assaults day one (we nabbed a stone off killing Alrena), three on day two (and two failures), and then five today. The medallions read 14, but two of those were from today's defenses.

Targ and Bella's group had much less.

So assuming that's right, the early events would have served as a tiebreaker, or were worth some number of points on their own, which brought Hashan to victory.

I dunno, thought? Confirm/deny?

Defense points were never removed, and Ashtan won the last phase by a lot.

I assume Hashan got points for phases 1 and 2.

• edited July 2016
    Also, what happened to Hashan's points, then? They ended day 2 with 10, after eight successful assaults and two successful defenses, then they ended this at 13 after five more successful assaults. They lost two points in there, and every member of that faction I've spoken to has confirmed that.
  • You run your fingers across the surface of a bronze, flask-shaped medallion.
    The Tizane and Zigana faction currently stands at 19 reputation points

Confused, annoyed, and what feels like betrayed for how much time and effort we put in to this, only to later find out it was impossible to win to begin with?

>:L
  • Nicola said:
    You all have to stop taking what's said on TMC as verbatim. (Defence points weren't removed.)

We had at least two defence points removed! Like @Cooper asked, I'd like a final tally for the points. Anyway, was a fun event and did a lot of neat RP with people I'd never get the chance to interact with otherwise!
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited July 2016
    *event starts*

cwho
    Citizen                                            Rank     CT     Class
    -------                                              -----      ---     ---
    7 people                                          various  On    various

*event ends*

cwho
    Citizen                                             Rank     CT     Class
    -------                                               -----      ---     ---
    19 people                                         various  On    various

I hate you

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Everyone is a winner! We all got to participate :)
  • Defence points were never removed, from anyone. When the too many beacons bug was fixed points were adjusted accordingly. This did not show on medallions until the next time those points were updated (next defence/claim victory.)
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Mindshell said:
    Everyone is a winner! We all got to participate :)
    "Ahmet has explorer rank #4 with the title an Achaean Ranger, 3rd Class."

It was fun pretending for the day :(
    Huh. Neat.
  • For scoring 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 points were awarded to the factions for phase 1 and 2. (5 for first place, 4 for second place, 3, for 3rd place, and so on.)

The Prioska and Asztrik faction currently stands at 23 reputation points.

The Tizane and Zigana faction currently stands at 21 reputation points.

The Gerzson and Kemnast faction currently stands at 20 reputation points.

The Zsarachnor faction currently stands at 18 reputation points.

The Belladona faction currently stands at 9 reputation points.

• Nicola said:
    Defence points were never removed, from anyone. When the too many beacons bug was fixed points were adjusted accordingly. This did not show on medallions until the next time those points were updated (next defence/claim victory.)

Er, we definitely had two points removed. @Ahmet, you still got the line! You earned it in my eyes :)
  • @Halos was that a number of people in UW or just passing on the event?
  • Nicola said:
    For scoring 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 points were awarded to the factions for phase 1 and 2. (5 for first place, 4 for second place, 3, for 3rd place, and so on.)

So is that a no on taking into account the bugs Ashtan faced and that their task was literally 50x longer than Hashan's? That seems pretty unfair :/

• Most of us did. Ignore the sour losers. 
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Cooper said:
    Nicola said:
    For scoring 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 points were awarded to the factions for phase 1 and 2. (5 for first place, 4 for second place, 3, for 3rd place, and so on.)

So is that a no on taking into account the bugs Ashtan faced and that their task was literally 50x longer than Hashan's? That seems pretty unfair :/
    Yeah, the first few tasks definitely seemed to be pre-planned, or at least pre-determined by the spawn rates/requirements.
    Huh. Neat.
  • The fact that we came in second after having so many uncontrollable setbacks is pretty cool. The fact that we could have definitely come in first of our initial task wouldn't have taken 120 hours (ish) is a bit souring but it definitely doesn't ruin the event. Died a ton, killed a little, got a few levels. Was fun overall.
  • Cooper said:
    Nicola said:

Dude just be happy we didn't win. We asked for extermination to be removed as our prize. 
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    extermination sucks for everyone involved anyway.
  • Lol and we still came in second? I'll take it. 

• Would be 100% happy if exterminate was removed.

• Knowing what counted towards scoring would have helped a lot, too. Hashan's points getting removed (which sounds like it was a consequence of Eleusis ending up with too many stones and scores getting tinkered with) made whether points were actually supposed to count from defense very unclear, and Eleusis had gambled on actual territory control at the end potentially mattering (which there was no indication of either way mechanically, but which the language of the announce posts and the event itself seeming to make plausible).

By the end of it, there had been quite a number of decisions made with very limited information, and in part the result was decided by who had guessed the scoring system the best. If there was one gripe to be had with this event, that would be it, for be.

To be clear though, I'm very hopeful for seeing what this system could lead to in the future.
  • 2 pts for having a first phase so fucked up and buggy that the admin had to step in to open the portal? Sounds fair.

But will take the second.
  • what was phase 2? was it the tower stuff and spawn clearing?  seems like phase 1 was just a head start on phase 2.  Why were they considered separate phases when finishing phase 1 made finishing phase 2 much easier?

guess phase 3 was just total point accumulation via battlefields?  That at least didn't benefit a head start since it was a serenade thing.

Was super fun though, just needed a ton more transparency on what was being scored.  Could have literally made up any number for phase 1 and 2 points at the end.  Transparency anywhere in the middle would have solved that.

Also, the spawning stuff coulda lasted throughout, woulda made it fun and lucrative :)

Same thing again next week?
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    It's cool.. I didn't want to do anything else this month...

• I enjoyed myself though agree that there should have been a little bit more transparency on the scoring system for the event.  @Makarios and @Nicola I do have some critiques of the system if its going to used in the future though.  The first and most  intractable being that the system in place heavily favors the offense (or severely handicaps the defense) because the offense always gets to pick the start time - I really have no suggestion to fix this problem.  Fortifications can theoretically offset the defensive handicap, the costs as they stand are prohibitive -mostly because you'd have to fortify a good third of the rooms - else people will just go around the fortifications.  Additionally, fortifications under construction should show something under construction on ql. I do understand that fortifications need to be somewhat expensive to limit over-reliance on fortifications - but feel costs could definitely be adjusted down.
  • Skarash said:
    I enjoyed myself though agree that there should have been a little bit more transparency on the scoring system for the event.  @Makarios and @Nicola I do have some critiques of the system if its going to used in the future though.  The first and most  intractable being that the system in place heavily favors the offense (or severely handicaps the defense) because the offense always gets to pick the start time - I really have no suggestion to fix this problem.  Fortifications can theoretically offset the defensive handicap, the costs as they stand are prohibitive -mostly because you'd have to fortify a good third of the rooms - else people will just go around the fortifications.  Additionally, fortifications under construction should show something under construction on ql. I do understand that fortifications need to be somewhat expensive to limit over-reliance on fortifications - but feel costs could definitely be adjusted down.
    Another game I've played has a "scheduled" start time for the event.  You initiate it and you can't actually particpate until 2-24hrs after you fire it up.  A bit extreme but it gave plenty of lead time for both offense and defense.

That said, I think it was fine how it was done.  We were able to defend a couple, two I think, and those were the best times I've had in Achaea in a long time.  Running around trying to disrupt @farrah, @xaden, and @neno while my team-mates continued to secure rooms was a total blast.