Year 700!

Comments

• Would love it if there was a tracking for how many mobs individuals killed throughout the event, and it was based off of that instead of something like XP that varied so incredibly wildly wave to wave (especially given waves weren't normalized for uptime).
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    We definitely had different waves of different creatures, including some stuff that gave pretty shitty exp. Then during the last section of things, everything got super bottled up in about 3-4 rooms, making finding actual non-instant-killed mobs to kill a real task.

This smells fishier than current-day Shallam's Fish Street.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Saeva said:
    Yes I am actually really curious about this. Have any tweaks been made to the spawn rates? Because these people are flying through the ranks like butter. When we went through last night, actually finding things to kill, even in a relatively empty zone, was a constant battle in itself.

I feel like if there were bugs to the spawn rate, surely you admin would not tweak it mid event?
    Same here, it's relatively empty I have to walk few rooms to find one to attack, that's just 3 of us in the area. With more it gets killed quicker. Of course, excluding the stacked room with like >6 mobs inside.
  • edited December 2015
    I actually really, really would honestly like to see some mob kill numbers versus points/essence. I don't even think anyone has done anything maliciously, but I do think there is something very wrong with this. Maybe it's just me being very wrong! But I'd feel a lot less slighted if maybe at the end of it all, we could see some actual numbers to back up the ridiculous points some of these people are making in a very short period of time.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I would suspect a lot has to do with people adapting, hearing the experiences from others and going in better prepared (and also maybe working together and such). Though the while I was in, it felt really dreary, with hardly any denizens for the most part except for one or two stacked one-shot rooms_

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited December 2015
    I did have fun.. after about hour 5 when we were able to finally able to trigger a wave change from what felt like the 1st tier of chaos ents.

I honestly think I could have been top 10 if more people had been in my area.... but when it comes down to it your success shouldn't depend on  the amount of people who are choosing to run the event at the same time as you.

Edit: Would love to see this tweaked and redone. Since most people did this as pairs it would be cool if you can register with partners and bring it back for valentine's day.
  • @Lorielan : leaving the event is still broken. Once your time is up you no longer have access to the XPEVENT LEAVE command.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Having just finished, there wasn't a lot of competition between contestants in these wee hours, late in the competition. In our area, there was about 4 of us, and we'd cross each others' paths occasionally, but there was never a shortage of things to kill, so it was pretty easy to keep pace. Also, since we were basically killing things on spawn, NPCs rarely had a chance to congregate. Only a few times did we run into stacks that we couldn't handle.

It was pretty easy and no one really bothered anyone else, which might account for the difference, compared to the start where it was hectic, there were probably more people in each area, and you folks were actually ganking each other. I thought about jumping Veldrin just because I knew he'd hate it, but it was more efficient just to keep bashing and rack up points than try to chase someone off.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I did the xpevent where, for the longest time, it was just me and Klendathu in the maze. We didn't get in each other's way, barely even crossed paths. But it did mean we were stuck on the chaos ent wave for maybe 2-3 hours. It wasn't until the lave wyrms, cloth golems and undead pirates appeared that I really started gaining much xp, because they were just much easier to handle in terms of hindering and spawn rate, and were better xp per kill, while not being much stronger than the chaos ents.

Then seeing Amanu and Dochitha and Aesi starting near my end, they took over the much juicier wave and easily passed me. Sure I lost some time fighting Proficy and Aegoth, but I could've gained much more xp if the waves had followed each other faster (or if they didn't get to profit from me bashing out the first wave for them!)
  • Funnily enough, I feel as though the smaller waves were more lucrative for me.
  • Landed in a big pile as soon as I entered. 
    Spent about 30 minutes trying to duke it out with a wraith (or three). 
    Not really having so much fun, yet. (Maybe too many people so the small ones are all dead) 
  • Dairon said:
    Landed in a big pile as soon as I entered. 
    Spent about 30 minutes trying to duke it out with a wraith (or three). 
    Not really having so much fun, yet. (Maybe too many people so the small ones are all dead) 
    See that seems to be the last wave.

I spawned in with like Firelords and things that were around for Ashtan's reno,

and I worked up to them.
  • Hopefully the next wave will be better. If we can clear it all. I got a bunch of people killed trying to group against 3 wraiths haha
  • edited December 2015
    I'm feeling pretty good about my decision to just give this event a miss. I was looking forward to it, but it just seemed like a massive gamble, and I didn't feel like gambling away six hours of my time. Sounds like that was right. :(

• Shirszae said:
    I would suspect a lot has to do with people adapting, hearing the experiences from others and going in better prepared (and also maybe working together and such). Though the while I was in, it felt really dreary, with hardly any denizens for the most part except for one or two stacked one-shot rooms_
    If Kasya (who was the big surprise massive-XP gainer) confirmed she was stuck on one of the final waves for the entire six hours whereas other people had to spend a lot of time on the crappy waves, that doesn't seem like just 'adapting'.

Someone getting the good wave for the entire time they're in there is pretty unfair if others had to put up with the intended rotating effect.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    My area had several teams of dragons attempt to clear out the shitload of wraiths that basically inundated the area. The bulk of everything killable had basically bottlenecked in the centre of the maze, impossible to be cleared out because the wraiths were nearly 5 deep on top of everything else.

When Josoul finally brought in a bunch of dragons to make an attempt at sweeping them out, not only did we not proceed to the next wave, but the wraiths just respawned all around the area. There was a 3-4 room stretch of wraiths and misc denizens that killed anyone who tried to get through it, causing people to be trapped in small segments of the maze.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure that jumping from area to area by portals was an oversight/bug but pretty much everyone was doing it. I remained in my designated area for 5.5 of the 6 hours, eventually I caved at the last minute and had to portal out because I was literally stuck in no man's land. It was just crummy really, seriously crummy. The payout wasn't even that fantastic. All in all 6 hours of more or less meh.

The idea that the area could/would 'reset' if nobody touched it was unfeasible in practice. Nobody was going to stop bashing it and you wouldn't have been able to stop anyone from trying to eke out one or two kills here and there, preventing the reset from ever happening. 

• Tecton said:
    For the next time we run it, we'll have the waves automatically change every hour, rather than based on kills made. Will be a little more fair and give everyone the chance to experience all of the different permutations and reduce the impact of the random nature of area selection.
    Can we also make sure that uh xpevent leaves? So like we don't have to die to leave? Pleaaase :) 

• Tecton said:
    For the next time we run it, we'll have the waves automatically change every hour, rather than based on kills made. Will be a little more fair and give everyone the chance to experience all of the different permutations and reduce the impact of the random nature of area selection.
    Is there any way we can see the number of mobs killed per player? I would personally like to know if I am crazy to think some of our citizens got the shaft.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Taraza said:
    Tecton said:
    Can we also make sure that uh xpevent leaves? So like we don't have to die to leave? Pleaaase :) 
    Already the case!
    Saeva said:
    Tecton said:
    Is there any way we can see the number of mobs killed per player? I would personally like to know if I am crazy to think some of our citizens got the shaft.
    Not something we tracked, just xp gained.
  • Something to keep in mind for these kinds of events. If a bug exists (XPEVENT LEAVE not working, travel between areas) and they last through multiple people's rounds, in the interest of competition they shouldn't be fixed until the next games. If one group has to deal with bugs every group should have to deal with them.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• As far as points for next time, would be good if when you leave your 6 hr timer stops. I could do 6 hours in the 48 hour event time, but not 6 hours straight. Wasn't a problem in the great hunts as it was whenever I could I'd dive in, but this time I only got 2.5 hours before I had to go.

Also do think that the timing had a lot to do with it. When I was first there I didn't see anybody and was bashing practically full time, after hour and a half another 4-5 people show'd and I'd have to go through the whole maze only finding 1 mob every 10 rooms or so, would estimate 1/2 the time looking for something. Didn't even mind stacks, could take them if smart about it - but the wandering around and around because everything was already dead was not very exciting.
    The Truths hurt. Always.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Suladan said:
    As far as points for next time, would be good if when you leave your 6 hr timer stops. I could do 6 hours in the 48 hour event time, but not 6 hours straight. Wasn't a problem in the great hunts as it was whenever I could I'd dive in, but this time I only got 2.5 hours before I had to go.

Also do think that the timing had a lot to do with it. When I was first there I didn't see anybody and was bashing practically full time, after hour and a half another 4-5 people show'd and I'd have to go through the whole maze only finding 1 mob every 10 rooms or so, would estimate 1/2 the time looking for something. Didn't even mind stacks, could take them if smart about it - but the wandering around and around because everything was already dead was not very exciting.
    And to reduce the risk of people gaming it, make it 6 hours of logged on time, so you register, and then the timer counts down for the next 6 hours of logged on time, regardless of whether you're in the actual maze or not...

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    Suladan said:
    As far as points for next time, would be good if when you leave your 6 hr timer stops. I could do 6 hours in the 48 hour event time, but not 6 hours straight. Wasn't a problem in the great hunts as it was whenever I could I'd dive in, but this time I only got 2.5 hours before I had to go.

And to reduce the risk of people gaming it, make it 6 hours of logged on time, so you register, and then the timer counts down for the next 6 hours of logged on time, regardless of whether you're in the actual maze or not...
    if the waves were made to change at regular intervals, though, you could still game it pretty hard by just logging off and waiting for an hour you think would be more productive to you. Or if there are too many/too few people about, logging out and trying again at a different time

• What Nakari said. Unless the PK aspect was removed and everyone was given their own instance that advanced/stopped with them, but that would probably be a bit ridiculous to setup. If the PK aspect is intended to remain it would also game the system because "Oh I'm being attacked, I'll just leave and go again later."

6 contiguous hours that forced you to have equal time with each set of enemies, possibly on the first weekend of the games to have maximum 'off' time for people to do it would be the 'fairest' way to do it.

• This looks amazingly fun and worlds less griefy than the last tumblerace. Props (lol, @Rohai, get it?) to whoever thought of this. 

i'm a rebel

Super Mario Kart > all of the later incarnations.