Year 700!

Comments

• Pretty disappointed that very obviously skewed results are being pushed forward as the final score. I understand that the Admin are pressed for time, but it just seems extremely unfair to people who have put a -lot- of time and effort for them to now that no, no matter how well they actually did, it doesn't matter, because the mob waves liked another person better. Leaves a pretty bitter taste in my mouth.

Also, gonna agree, Mario Kart 64 edges out SMK, but only by a smidgen
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    @Tecton
    Do we need to wield items and selfishness off to throw?
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Krypton said:
    @Tecton
    Do we need to wield items and selfishness off to throw?
    No!
  • Aegoth said:
    Bla bla bla Tesha won so must be bugged or favoritism bla bla bla

Guys are getting rather rude towards Tesha and the admins.
  • Will using the prank items require/use balance?
  • edited December 2015
    Morthif said:
    Aegoth said:

No one really gave Tesha crap for getting second in twins despite the fact that dunn bugged out during their match. No one's really attacking her personally here, either. The issue here is that the mechanics don't feel fair, not that Tesha won or didn't win. Dunn/Jhui has a right to be upset about losing their match to a bug, so people that got screwed on wave spawns do too.

I think it's expected there'd be some issues since there's so much new stuff being tried this year. It's also been really cool ideas so far! But people can still feel upset when some of the issues affect them personally, you know?
  • I think it is really awesome that the admin are being proactive during this years games. The events look more fun and interesting than they were in the past.

That being said, I think that adding any sort of randomness or luck is not a good thing. To find the most deserving person of the staff, all the variables should be equal and offer everyone the same opportunity to gain points/win.

I understand this is very hard to balance against the games being all solo events (not ideal) and making it so everyone can participate in some way.

I also get that it's harder to bug test/iron out the flaws in the games when you can't use the playerbase to test things because you want to keep the new twists a surprise.

So I guess right now I don't have anything meaningful to suggest, but I will try to think of something useful to suggest for future events.

• Morthif said:
    Aegoth said:

To be fair, Tesha has a history across (their) characters of abusing bugs and skirting rules during championship events.

• edited December 2015
    Morthif said:
    Aegoth said:

You're actually the first person to bring Tesha into the conversation. What Aegoth expressed, (alongside myself and quite a few other people) is that the playing field wasn't even. Some people were able to hunt the higher scoring denizens for the most part and others were stuck on low scoring waves for a majority of the 6 hours.

My gripe wasn't because Tesha won, my gripe personally was that I think I could have broken into the top ten had Aerek and I been 'allowed' to hunt harder denizens.
  • Tahquil said:
    Morthif said:
    Aegoth said:

You're actually the first person to bring Tesha into the conversation. What Aegoth expressed, (alongside myself and quite a few other people) is that the playing field wasn't even. Some people were able to hunt the higher scoring denizens for the most part and others were stuck on low scoring waves for a majority of the 6 hours.

My gripe wasn't because Tesha won, my gripe personally was that I think I could have broken into the top ten had Aerek and I been 'allowed' to hunt harder denizens.
    Sorry brought in some of the sentiments of TMC.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Tahquil said:
    Morthif said:
    Aegoth said:

This. I was so close to breaking top ten myself, but ultimately my progress was stymied because there was no hardcoded upper limit to how badly the denizens could bottleneck. Instead of an area full of stuff, a few of us were basically stuck scraping around for the few strays that somehow managed to be killed and respawn outside that clusterfuck. A lone dragon could take a room of 2 or 3 with strategy, more if they're better equipped, but we were barely afforded that challenge.

• edited December 2015
    Yes, it's a game, and games are generally broken or made by their rules and mechanics. Hence, people discuss said rules and mechanics. No one's even gotten hostile except for the passive aggressive 'how dare you whine' crowd. :)
  • Because the most enjoyable game is when both the teams are closely matched. Not when one team is functioning fine and the other team hobbles out on crutches.

I enjoyed the hunt, it was innovated and I applaud the admin team for their efforts. But at the same time it was a competition and part of the biggest competition in Achaea that only happens once a year.

If the scenario in the first paragraph happened in the world cup (of any sport), you're going to be damn sure people are going to stand up, point it out to the referees and object.
  • Cooper said:
    Morthif said:
    Aegoth said:

To be fair, Tesha has a history across (their) characters of abusing bugs and skirting rules during championship events.
    Lawl. I'll say what Tesha was too nice to say - You can fuck right off, scrub. On another note, reported. Unnecessarily hurtful post is unnecessary. Not to mention a lie, but thats another matter.

• Rangor said:
    Looking at what people are saying from the xp event, I'd say it should be re-done with a better setup wave timer so that everyone will hit the same waves.

these games happen really rarely, and they really do need to be fair and balanced so it's worth trying to compete.
    How is this any different than wanting a mulligan of the twins because of a queue bug?

Am I saying people shouldn't be upset? No. But thems the breaks.
  • Daeir said:
    Yeah, let's not start crying for mulligans. It's unsightly. Take it on the chin and move on, there's still 24pts left to decide a victor.
    I'm just going to throw it out there, if this had jeopardized a few other people's chances to be in the lead (I can think of a few very simply right now!) they would be throwing a goddamn fit. I'm pretty proud of my citymates.

• edited December 2015
    Aesi said:
    Rangor said:
    Looking at what people are saying from the xp event, I'd say it should be re-done with a better setup wave timer so that everyone will hit the same waves.

these games happen really rarely, and they really do need to be fair and balanced so it's worth trying to compete.
    How is this any different than wanting a mulligan of the twins because of a queue bug?

Am I saying people shouldn't be upset? No. But thems the breaks.
    Twins should've gotten a mulligan if the bug was on Achaea's side, yes.

Daeir said:
    Yeah, let's not start crying for mulligans. It's unsightly. Take it on the chin and move on, there's still 24pts left to decide a victor.
    Mulligans are the standard for serious competitions, let's not pretend 'eh whatever let's roll with it' is the standard anywhere.

• Pretty sure a mulligan would be called for if this were any real life competition. Just because it's a game does not exempt it from being held to the same standards that we give to real sports. Even LoL has mulligans.

This is a -very- clear situation where very skewed odds were given to some people that was not of their own volition. These games are designed with fairness and even footing in mind. Any advantages given should be made only by those competing, not from the game itself. Since the results of the XP competition were a result of faulty algorithms, and not because people "prepared more than others", it would be very well within reason to call for a rematch of this particular competition. 

I'm really unsure why people would be against this, given the context with which this event was faulty. If you really want your guys to perform well, then let them perform well on even ground, as far as server-side functions are concerned.
  • If the algorithms were applied evenly to all zones, I don't see how they're faulty. Yes, the RNG sucks but it's just RNG, that's not really bias
  • edited December 2015
    Yeah, whether they're 'faulty' or not is its own thing. The question is whether you really want the staff that gives tangible in-game power and is only up for grabs once every 1.5 years to be determined by RNG.

Also, obviously, even if it was agreed this was an issue that should be rectified for this tournament, it would be difficult to figure out how. I'm not denying that. Re-scheduling a 6 hour bashing trip isn't exactly easy, and I'm not sure how you'd even fix the RNG factor in the first place. What people are saying is that it's a bit unfair, no one's demanding an immediate rematch by sunrise or everything sucks. The event was still cool and the design was interesting, and everyone seems to have had fun with it, it's just the competition aspect that's after the fact an issue.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Daeir said:
    Better mulligan the riddle too since it was "too difficult" and took only 4 hours to complete compared to the usual 30mins.
    Well... mulligan it for a legitimate reason, like for one of the clues being flat-out wrong

Generally agreed that there is a lot of drama over the XP event when the luck/RNG factor was evident from the beginning, though.
  • The situation as it stands now is not fair, either. I've already conceded that I'm not sure how you'd really remake it, the point is that it's good practice to at least acknowledge if something is unfair instead of equating it to whining about overpowered DWB. The insults and attacks have come from one side only other than a driveby post on the last page.

It's in much better form to say 'hey, yeah, my supported candidate lucked out and the situation is pretty unfair to you, but not sure how we'd really fix that' than to hysterically try to discredit the claim.
  • edited December 2015
    Daeir said:
    Kiet said:
    [internal screaming]
    It kind of wouldn't be fair, though. The layouts of those areas are now pretty well known, so are the contents of the mob stacks, the wave intensity and all the other juicy details that beget successful hunting. It'd either have to be an entirely new area, or it'd be a totally different contest with less confounding factors and more of that delicious grind/organizational slog. They'd basically have to redo the whole damn thing from scratch. There is literally no point in it, and it would just demand another 6 hours from anyone seriously interested in participating in it for the Staff, not to mention the large amount of dev time it would take to rehash all that shit again to make it actually fair.

Can we put the personal attacks aside for now and just agree to disagree if anything else?
    The map of the areas where in Achaea's map system. So everyone had the map of the area from second 1 and could use it even if you have no third-party mapping system.

Edit: Also, were the Arcadia racoons killed as well?
  •  @Tecton as a question on the tumble race, will the WHERENEXT command incur a balance or EQ cost?
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Sarathai said:
     @Tecton as a question on the tumble race, will the WHERENEXT command incur a balance or EQ cost?
    Yes.