Year 700!

Comments

• Lottery 24, does it draw at tonights serenade or tomorrows?
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    We're making some last-minute improvements to Tumbleraces, we're delaying the start by about 30 minutes. Will update you guys as to the status of the races - sorry for the inconvenience!
    Just a couple more minutes, doing a final run-through now! 
  • Daeir said:
    I'm not discrediting the claim, dude.
    So
    Daeir said:
    May as well mulligan the foozle then, since the raccoons (and other things) were borked when they shouldn't have been. Oh, and should mulligan the shiprace because only 6 ships (or something) participated. Better mulligan the riddle too since it was "too difficult" and took only 4 hours to complete compared to the usual 30mins. Let's also mulligan the twins because DWB is stupid and someone used it or something.
    Irrelevant corollaries, hyperbole and:
    Daeir said:
    Yeah, let's not start crying for mulligans. It's unsightly. Take it on the chin and move on, there's still 24pts left to decide a victor.
    implying that the people discussing it are crying is not trying to discredit the claim?

I'm all for a constructive discussion, and we've been having one, but pretending you were even remotely part of it and weren't just blindly overreacting to the discussion at hand is a joke.

It's not really a question about whether the mechanics of the wave system resulted in an unexpected disparity that wasn't controllable by player action. It's not something that could have been easily foreseen given the variety of number of participants in the different areas at the different times. I expect, based on how it worked, it was assumed a lot more people would be participating. Given that there have already been comments that it will be changed in the future, it's obvious the way it worked wasn't optimal. That's fine.

It's also obvious that the general opinion for whether a re-do would be desired is going to lay in which faction you support. If you thought your faction could have done better with less RNG you'll generally support a re-do, if your faction got a lot of benefit from it you are more likely to not want a re-do. We can discuss the possibilities and potential mechanical changes without something happening. You trying to paint the people talking about it as whiners and ridiculous is the least constructive thing in this thread.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• I think that the mistakes/issues have been unfortunate. It's obviously altered a few things here and there, which could have easily impacted the overall standings pretty tremendously.

Unfortunately, I think mulligans on any of them would be a mistake. If you were to re-do any single event, you might as well re-do to entire games up to this point. That's just not feasible. The schedule was laid out with plenty of time for people to schedule their time accordingly. It sucks for the people that got affected by the issues, but that's part of the game. The issues will be looked and resolved to be better worked in the future. The people that plan these things are people too, small errors can be expected.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Aesi said:
    Rangor said:
    Looking at what people are saying from the xp event, I'd say it should be re-done with a better setup wave timer so that everyone will hit the same waves.

these games happen really rarely, and they really do need to be fair and balanced so it's worth trying to compete.
    How is this any different than wanting a mulligan of the twins because of a queue bug?

Am I saying people shouldn't be upset? No. But thems the breaks.
    When a bug decides the outcome, or affects a match it should be reset and redone. This is done in any other competitive game. 
  • ned that you will not be able to re-enter it.

(p) 5200h, 4000m, 24900e, 18900w   cexkdb- 

The body of Anatral Winterhart, Oneawha appears in a flash and his soul descends to fill it, causing 

the previously expressionless face to fill with emotion.

You can't do that while in the Tumble Race. QUIT TUMBLERACE will let you quit the event, though be 

warned that you will not be able to re-enter it.

You can't do that while in the Tumble Race. QUIT TUMBLERACE will let you quit the event, though be 

(p) 5200h, 3985m, 24900e, 18900w   cexkdb- (-15m, 0.4%) 

(p) 5200h, 3985m, 24900e, 18900w   cexkdb- 

oh also, I don't want a mulligan.

Rangor said:
    Aesi said:
    Rangor said:
    Looking at what people are saying from the xp event, I'd say it should be re-done with a better setup wave timer so that everyone will hit the same waves.

these games happen really rarely, and they really do need to be fair and balanced so it's worth trying to compete.
    How is this any different than wanting a mulligan of the twins because of a queue bug?

When a bug decides the outcome, or affects a match it should be reset and redone. This is done in any other competitive game. 
    There was no bug that we could find/replicate regarding queueing.
  • Tecton said:
    Rangor said:
    Aesi said:
    Rangor said:

There was no bug that we could find/replicate regarding queueing.
    I suspect this "bug" was just ultimately latency on a hop. The queue got backed up and kept processing for a while. Nothing clearqueue all didn't stop
    And we do apologise for the delays on the start of the tumble races, I hope you guys had as much fun participating in them as we did to design and run them!
  • edited December 2015
    It was great fun, honestly. Mario Kart Achaea, and I'd definitely be happy to have some of these again - not just in the Championship games, either.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• That idea was brilliant, and it prompted me to play SMK until 3am, waking just in time to join the delayed start, SO THANK YOU!
  • Those are the best kind! There is a bug there somewhere, I'm sure most if not all people who use queueing have come across it occasionally. You queue commands but then they don't get executed when you regain the required balance(s).
  • Aesi said:

<spam>

oh also, I don't want a mulligan.

And without any context, no one else has any basis to judge whether one would be appropriate.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Tecton said:
    And we do apologise for the delays on the start of the tumble races, I hope you guys had as much fun participating in them as we did to design and run them!
    All it needed was the item cube sound effect

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Tecton said:
    Sarathai said:
    Tumblerace is over.

It was great fun, honestly. Mario Kart Achaea, and I'd definitely be happy to have some of these again - not just in the Championship games, either.
    Yep, we'll definitely be adding this new style of race to our repertoire of world games!
    (Clan): You say, "I actually kinda want these to become a world game."

Dreams coming true in less then five minutes!

These were really fun, and I think with multiple tracks, a few tweakings of the items (the balloon didn't feel like it had any real effect, but if more effect is too much effect, maybe just something else then), they could become pretty interesting to add elements to.

Thanks as well for making sure the game was as unbugged as possible (and then fixing a weird bug that was happening right before we got started that would have seriously fudged everything).
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • As was mentioned in clans: we need a lightning bolt. And a warp. More props in general, actually.

(And a turtle shell.)
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Daeir said:
    It was constructive up until the point that a few people started jumping on Tesha (Aegoth, Cooper) as if there was some sort of intentional playing of these aforementioned disparities to gain an advantage. If you feel that such a statement doesn't involve you, then it doesn't.

I fully respect the notion that the event was heavily borked and a re-do, in a hypothetical world where people were not fatigued by 6 hour+ bashing marathon events and there wasn't another slew of events slated after this one which by the look of things, appear to be finished so close to the wire so as to necessitate a delay of their starting time. I think a lot of people would be a lot happier that way.

There is also a difference between voicing discontent about how an event went on and suggesting constructive changes and open belittlement and degradation of other players who so happened to come out on top in those situations. The latter is what I have issue with, not the former.
    If you can show me where I jumped on Tesha anywhere in my posts, I'll give you 100cr
  • Sarathai said:
    As was mentioned in clans: we need a lightning bolt. And a warp. More props in general, actually.

(And a turtle shell.)
    oh how glorious a red shell would be.
  • Antidas said:
    Cooper said:
    Morthif said:
    Aegoth said:
    Bla bla bla Tesha won so must be bugged or favoritism bla bla bla

Guys are getting rather rude towards Tesha and the admins.
    To be fair, Tesha has a history across (their) characters of abusing bugs and skirting rules during championship events.
    Lawl. I'll say what Tesha was too nice to say - You can fuck right off, scrub. On another note, reported. Unnecessarily hurtful post is unnecessary. Not to mention a lie, but thats another matter.
    A lie? Hardly. Unnecessarily hurtful? No, not really. The past doesn't just go away, and just because you don't know the things that have happened doesn't make them not true. 

• edited December 2015
    A bit late to the discussion but during the XP Event, was the amount of mobs that spawned linked to the number of people in the maze?

I attempted it for about two or three hours, during which time it was mostly just me, or me and @Will and apart from two wraiths neither of us could manage, a new mobs seemed to spawn like... once every two or three minutes. Was that the usual rate of these things?
  • edited December 2015
    Come on, people, this isn't even a rants thread. At least take it to the sewers.

• You're right. Wrong place to bring that up, I'm sorry.

• HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    Tahquil said:
    Because the most enjoyable game is when both the teams are closely matched. Not when one team is functioning fine and the other team hobbles out on crutches.
    Ender's Game. Battle School. They were still enjoyable games.

• As far as I can tell re: queue bug, it has something to do with spamming the crap out of queue commands. What seems to happen is when people are spamming something like:

cq all|alias set cmd thing1/thing2/thing3/thing4|queue add eqbal cmd

or especially queueing multiple things in each press of the button, the queue systems seems to go into the temporary intentional slowdown that we experienced in the treasure hunt. If you weren't there basically every command you entered in order happened at a set rate regardless of the speed of input. When that happens with queue commands like the above it means you're not getting the most up to date command coming through that you sent before, because the system is behind 2-3 commands. This results in what happened during the Dunn/Jhui vs Tesha/Tibitha fight where he RSL'd twice in a row into no rebounding (didn't come up between either) and DSL'd the wrong venoms at least once.

I don't recall ever having this happen myself, but I also don't send every button press to the server and catch/check commands client-side so I only modify the queue server-side when I'm inputting different commands. This is what makes me think it has to do with the volume of input into the queue system (possibly the alias system?) that causes it to happen.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Fun fact. You don't have to spam adding to the queue. You can change your alias after it's queued and it will fire the current version when it comes up. Really helps cut down on spamming.
  • That requires more coding than people seem to want to put into their offence apart from automating.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Kez said:
    Fun fact. You don't have to spam adding to the queue. You can change your alias after it's queued and it will fire the current version when it comes up. Really helps cut down on spamming.
    That's super-useful info, thanks!

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."