So I leave for a weekend concert series, and I can't be a priest in Cyrene anymore?

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Nim said:
    I think they mean that Mhaldorians basically can't enter any city but their own at this point. If all cities become like that, it'll essentially split the game six ways, limiting interaction when interaction is kind of the game's point. And all cities are leaning toward that road pretty heavily.
    I don't really buy into that being a big deal either, though. If the cities have their own actual self-sustaining cultures you're not missing out on much by not being able to casually stroll into the others. Mhaldor has compensated very well by having rich culture, and if it takes martial law for the other cities to catch up too, then that's really not that bad. There'll always be Cyrene (and maybe Hashan) for people who want to play with everyone, and this way we at least have different experiences in each city. If you associate with the exact same people regardless of your home city, you're not offering a very distinct playstyle with each city.

Not to mention, Mhaldorians still interact with non-Mhaldorians. Not being able to walk into Eleusis doesn't mean you can't talk to Eleusians and preach at them.
  • I said limit, not stop. Preacher roleplay gets old fast. :(
  • Vayne said:
    Good for Cyrene, Hashan went through a similar ordeal with Mhaldor recalling necromancers, though it was to a far lesser extent and impact than this situation it appears. I think it is a great opportunity for Cyrene, post-ren, to continue carving out their already strong niche as a city and get out of the shadow of "Good" once and for all. Hashan raised funds for its necromancers to change classes and it worked out really well and was an excellent unifying event for the city; I am sure it will prove the same for Cyrene.
    Lets not forget that at that time Ashtan too had a thriving necromancer community. It included entire families, clans, a house in the works, and lore that predates Mhaldor. And those players embraced caster Infernals many of whom upon joining Mhaldor were forced with execution for choosing a race unfit for the class as deemed by officials whom wish to inflict their OOC interpretation of how the game should be played. What Ashtan had was something far better than Mhaldor and it was stripped away by divine decree.
  • You can do more than preacher roleplay, that's just the most obvious. You could also stick to your city and get to know your citymates! Or join Cyrene. To be honest, I'd personally find it less fun if everyone just ran around with their best friends from the opposite faction. We have enough wishywashy failure to commit to ideals IRL, why in the world would you want to play a fantasy game to roleplay more of that? To me, it's like complaining there's no taxes in Achaea, and you just really wish you could roleplay having do to your taxes every year.
  • edited April 2015
    Tael said:
    It's perfectly possible for Eleusis to go to war with Targossas, but still allow individual Targossans inside unless the individuals have proven themselves dangerous. Not all war has to be total war and even total war does not have to preclude fraternisation.
    Eleusis sort of does this already in the current climate. I think it's roughly the reverse for Targ? As in, they don't seem to raid Eleusis (not that I've seen with any degree of regularity, anyway), but they don't want Eleusians inside city boundaries.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Ayami said:
    You can do more than preacher roleplay, that's just the most obvious. You could also stick to your city and get to know your citymates! Or join Cyrene. To be honest, I'd personally find it less fun if everyone just ran around with their best friends from the opposite faction. We have enough wishywashy failure to commit to ideals IRL, why in the world would you want to play a fantasy game to roleplay more of that? To me, it's like complaining there's no taxes in Achaea, and you just really wish you could roleplay having do to your taxes every year.
    Exactly and no one should be coerced into playing with micromanaging asshats like that!
  • @Ayami: Please don't mistake me. If you enjoy preacher roleplay, go for it. The reason to roleplay anything is always fun. What's bad about roleplaying the conflicts created by taxation? What's bad about wanting to roleplay people with flaws and limitations?

Of course, if you want to argue brand of roleplaying X is better than Y, then because: ideals are not characters. Characters are histories and beliefs about many, many ideals. Ideals are an idea. Roleplaying an ideal flawlessly means cutting out most of your character's life. Why do they believe in that ideal? What would make them forsake it?

If you can go from that approach, even your preaching roleplay could have fire like it otherwise might never have. Without that life, struggles, flaws, failures and all, what's left but meaningless words?

And even that's fine too, if you enjoy it. It's just not interesting to me personally. :)

• I actually don't like preacher roleplay, I just would rather have a fantasy world with polarized factions and ideals than one where everyone is friends. There's certainly room for peaceful roleplay of that sort, but is a game like Achaea whose entire ingame history is driven by wars, conflict, and powerful ideologies really the best place to go for it?

I'm not sure where you're even getting this concept that people who live in an ideological state can't be flawed, or have struggles and histories and such. Just because you live in, say, Targossas, doesn't mean you can't question inwardly if you're truly doing the right thing, or if the current Dawnlord (no actual reference meant!) is perhaps too weak compared to the previous one, or even what to get your fellow Targossian for their birthday.

The problem is that you can't have strong factional ideologies if everyone's best friend is an ideological enemy. It's a lot like playing the 'one good drow' in most other roleplaying games: it's interesting the first time, but when 90% of the game is doing that it's terrible and annoying.
  • suddenly I want to make an eleusian. I don't know why D:
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Morthif said:
    Sarathai said:
    Tael said:
    It's perfectly possible for Eleusis to go to war with Targossas, but still allow individual Targossans inside unless the individuals have proven themselves dangerous. Not all war has to be total war and even total war does not have to preclude fraternisation.
    Eleusis sort of does this already in the current climate. I think it's roughly the reverse for Targ? As in, they don't seem to raid Eleusis (not that I've seen with any degree of regularity, anyway), but they don't want Eleusians inside city boundaries.

Not true. We ask them to recite an oath "I declare Rangor to be a dumbass" and then we allow them in. You'd be surprised how many roam our streets
    Sucks to be Targossas, at least Ashtan only has rats, not Eleusians ;)

(for those of you devoid of a sense of humour, that was a joke)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited April 2015
    Klendathu said:
    Sucks to be Targossas, at least Ashtan only has rats, not Eleusians ;)

(for those of you devoid of a sense of humour, that was a joke)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Tael said:
    Itkovian said:
    Personally I wish we'd kept Shallam and just gained Targossas for the hardcore fanatical Good RP players, or otherwise have a city which actively opposes the Bad People yet still embraces principles like Honour and the Ends do not Justify the Means. As it stands, that's no longer an option (which is why I was planning on remaining in the Dawnguard and defend Targ, which sadly was not possible).
    I don't understand why people keep saying this isn't an option.

What you are describing is Cyrene - a city that rejects bad people (and recognises them as such), embraces principles like honour and "ends do not justify the means", and doesn't have a fanatical drive causing them to commit violence.
    Almost, but no. Cyrene also has rules against basically against engaging in any kind of pvp conflict that might bring raiders. So no Shrine warfare, for example. If it weren't for that, then yes, it would essentially be perfect. :)

As for us still having Shallam being a terrible idea, I disagree. Targossas ended up losing all of its moderates anyway (either to Cyrene or other cities, or those who simply stopped playing), and Shallam had a very healthy population that could easily have been distributed (particularly before the hardliners took over).

The main competition for members would have been with Cyrene, really, who would naturally draw in the "moderates" who don't want to fight. Which would leave the ones who actually do want to fight, but do so with Honour and Integrity. Furthermore, a "good" faction that is not fanatically hardcore is not doomed to conflict, as the primary conflict always was between the moderates and the hardliners. With Targossas catering to the hardliners of Good, that would be greatly minimized.

Granted, Cyrenians can still do some PvP, but it has to be more personal (duels, hunting thieves, etc), but ultimately it is mostly defensive. But still, it is true that for those of us interested in (lowercase) good RP - particularly centered on Honour and Chivalry - it is the best place available in this day and age.
  • edited April 2015
    Preacher RP is not the only RP avenue left by increasingly an increasingly factionalized game, though. You don't even have to debate philosophy as your first reaction to meeting someone from another city. You can, in fact, interact  as two regular people who just happen to live in city-states that hate each other. Just because the setting becomes more spectacular and different from real life does not mean characters/people living in it become more detached from real human emotions or interactions: that's just laziness.
  • Morthif said:
    This was really the only way this was going to be allowed to go. Cyrene had to be the one to make the move or from what I've been told the admins wouldn't allow it to happen. 
    To be clear, Cyrene STILL didn't make the move, you know.

Targossas basically declared that we were fair game, and had no special protection. So we revoked the special dispensation Targossians had about preaching (which all other cities are banned from doing). Targossas' leadership THEN escalated the issue and issued an ultimatum about removing this ban (and performed a few acts of provocation before that ultimatum ended). And at that point we voted to keep the ban.

Sure, on a practical level the end result is the same, but if "do something that makes Cyrene decide to not keep Devotion" was the goal, that could have been achieved through far more straightforward means.

For example, it would be completely in character and downright honest of Targossas to just tell Cyrene they need to stop "aiding and abetting the Chaos-worshippers of Ashtan", or Devotionists would be pulled out. That'd be a completely understandable request given the teachings of Good, and Cyrene would almost certainly have refused.

End result would have been the same, but Targossas would have come out of it seeming a lot less callous and deceitful. Granted, ICly you don't care what others think, but OOCly it shouldn't be surprising if few people actually bother learning the theology of Targossas when it has such terrible PR issues.
  • Itkovian said:
    Tael said:
    Itkovian said:
    Personally I wish we'd kept Shallam and just gained Targossas for the hardcore fanatical Good RP players, or otherwise have a city which actively opposes the Bad People yet still embraces principles like Honour and the Ends do not Justify the Means. As it stands, that's no longer an option (which is why I was planning on remaining in the Dawnguard and defend Targ, which sadly was not possible).

What you are describing is Cyrene - a city that rejects bad people (and recognises them as such), embraces principles like honour and "ends do not justify the means", and doesn't have a fanatical drive causing them to commit violence.
    Almost, but no. Cyrene also has rules against basically against engaging in any kind of pvp conflict that might bring raiders. So no Shrine warfare, for example. If it weren't for that, then yes, it would essentially be perfect. :)

As for us still having Shallam being a terrible idea, I disagree. Targossas ended up losing all of its moderates anyway (either to Cyrene or other cities, or those who simply stopped playing), and Shallam had a very healthy population that could easily have been distributed (particularly before the hardliners took over).

The main competition for members would have been with Cyrene, really, who would naturally draw in the "moderates" who don't want to fight. Which would leave the ones who actually do want to fight, but do so with Honour and Integrity. Furthermore, a "good" faction that is not fanatically hardcore is not doomed to conflict, as the primary conflict always was between the moderates and the hardliners. With Targossas catering to the hardliners of Good, that would be greatly minimized.

Granted, Cyrenians can still do some PvP, but it has to be more personal (duels, hunting thieves, etc), but ultimately it is mostly defensive. But still, it is true that for those of us interested in (lowercase) good RP - particularly centered on Honour and Chivalry - it is the best place available in this day and age.
    ... This.... Seriously
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • Biggest thing I hope to see is how Cyrene develops with the other cities now that the apron-strings have been cut away from Targossas. Will Cyrene start making closer relations with Hashan? Ashtan? Mhaldor? (I doubt the last one, but you never know!). I hope this will not only open up Cyrene to political relations but more changes in culture and ideals.

@Verrucht should get in contact with Cyrene's Patron (can't remember who it is currently atm) and start making plans for RP events. Symbolic cutting the chains, a new dawn for the city, burning effigies of Targossas leadership...

wait...a burning effigy of @Deucalion...does that even work? He's already on fire....
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • We'll douse it?
  • That'll show 'em.
  • Itkovian said:
    Tael said:
    Itkovian said:

Achaea does not have the population for seven cities. Even six is stretching it thin. There's also no point to a moderate faction in a game where every faction is radical and there's already a radical faction on the same 'side' doing the moderate faction's job but 'better' (as far as actually slaying evil guys and stuff like that). What would Shallam do? They'd either fall in line behind Targossas or they'd be at bitter odds with Targossas. In the first example there's no reason for them to exist, and in the second their existence is actively a hindrance.
  • edited April 2015
    I just want to reinstate that when @Antidas stole from Agrias, then Allene, he had no ulterior motives surrounding devo.
    Targossas didn't hand him over because Cyrene was trying to force their own foreign laws down their throat while holding a -divine- hostage.

Like @Aodfionn said in his post, asking Targossas to respect an anti-theft treaty it never signed is as lolworthy as us asking Cyrene to punish their citizens for hunting New Hope. And trust me, I've seen a few.

TL;DR: If Cyrene wanted to be proactive about this theft, it would have instead pushed for formalizing an anti-theft treaty with Targ. It instead decided to open itself to being cut off devotion.

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Comparing the forum narrative to the reality is a fun and mildly amusing way to pass time at work.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"