So I leave for a weekend concert series, and I can't be a priest in Cyrene anymore?

Comments

• Aodfionn said:
    Aminah said:
    However, it MUST be said. No one, no clan, no afk deacon, no book makes it known that the current good in vogue means the others are totally replaced and not active law. 
    You're not far off on the book part - but I do know that pretty much every discussion the Diaspora had, all of our meetings and chats with Cyrene, as well as the CLHELP scrolls for the clan were pretty up front about what is and is not Good. They contained everything you needed to know as far as the basic "Okay, are we all good that this is the Bloodsworn's say in the matter? Cool" sort of stuff. 

The Diaspora had a Trial of Worth, which was essentially just a ten (sometimes more) minute long conversation about Good. You had to take it within 2 years of joining the Diaspora (novices got longer, couldn't take it til 21), and you couldn't keep Devo if you didn't pass it. It is infinitely easy, and all of the answers can be found in the small CLHELP index.

I totally understand that people are frustrated with the books or with me not always being available as Deacon over the last little bit. That said, I don't quite get this complaint when everything else about what you said has been patently untrue for as long as the Diaspora's been around. Longer than I've been on Team Good, at least.
    You are definitely right. The basics are covered. But I really had a lot of skewed thinking just a few days ago, even, about these issues.

And as @Ayami said - that's also true. Many Cyrenians do have misinformation on these topics. I shouldn't be so bitchy, but it's just nice to get it out :(
  • Itkovian said:
    Ayami said:
    Achaea does not have the population for seven cities. Even six is stretching it thin. There's also no point to a moderate faction in a game where every faction is radical and there's already a radical faction on the same 'side' doing the moderate faction's job but 'better' (as far as actually slaying evil guys and stuff like that). What would Shallam do? They'd either fall in line behind Targossas or they'd be at bitter odds with Targossas. In the first example there's no reason for them to exist, and in the second their existence is actively a hindrance.
    Achaea did have the population.

Note that this isn't something I'm suggesting now, that boat has sailed. But back before all the Intra-Shallam radicalization conflicts arose, there certainly were enough players. We were busting 500 players a night back then. Those were good times. :)

And I challenge the notion that the hardline "ends justify the means" is "better" at fighting the bad guys. You can certainly have a successful militant faction that actually fights with honour and integrity, particularly in a game world. And I can certainly attest through personal experience that it _does_ make a difference. The way you act and fight certainly affects how others think of you (and how they fight you back), and that applies both to individuals and organizations, and can readily elevate or debase the "tone" of a conflict.

Sure, somewhere along the way the devs decided that a grimdark "do-whatever-it-takes" Good faction was the way to go, but it certainly wasn't the only option that could have succeeded. And for a great many of us it certainly wasn't the best. Nor would one option have precluded the other. We had the population for it... and as for conflict between the Good and good factions, that would have made for some fun conflict indeed. :)

But, of course, that boat has sailed, and it ain't gonna change anytime soon. To be clear, Cyrene is still an excellent place to be as a good character devoted to Honour, but I can't help but wistfully wish for what could have been. :)
    Too many separate quotes so here we go sorry for the multipost.

1-shallam did have the population we lost probably about 100+ players in the whole transition both because of the whole refugees time and because of the unwelcoming front when we did actually get somewhere. (Of which I count at least half of the Sentaari and Paladins guilds who were pretty decent topping novice charts and such in that I think game wise we lost something that we won't regain.)

2-Chivalry should be tied to Honor it's that way when you learn lessons, all the help files say it, heck Gawains got quotes on it all over history documents the shift of Chivalry away from honor is a bad one. You wanna keep Paladins change chivalry to something else heck keep the skills just rename it (ALA Sylvans).

3-This is why I didn't join Targ in the first place (aside from political issues). Honor was the first thing you were quized on as an acolyte it defined being a templar as a co-equal characteristic in the church thoughts.

@Aodfionn -Do please message people before you inquisition. There are times when people are open to that kind of thing but on a Completely OOC level if you've had a crap day at work and you login to work on org projects and somebody comes up to be a tool to your character that day it's probably not going to end well and not going to be enjoyable by both sides. This is an OOC decency issue. Plus messaging lets them schedule it so it gets their full attention not just "lets get this over with because I've got other crap to do" Promise people will be much more likely to RP with you if you do this... Half of my RP with Targ has been: Targ person: I'm going to interrupt whatever your doing because I'm right and I want you to do something right now. That's the wrong way to deal with things especially with older people who have orgs that depend on them or other crap. That'd be like me interrupting some major ceremony just because I wanted to argue with you (something I honestly try not to do they are too hard to put together for that to be a thing).

---As far as I'm concerned I'm snowballed with school so if you have some grand trial planned probably not the greatest time I login to check things then leave if I need to set aside time then I will I just have to know in advance.--- Or Heck since you probably are referring to only me Aurora or Deucalion can get ahold of me pretty easily.

--I feel like I need to write an OOC/IC decency file like lately all sides have been crossing lines I think maybe just my perspective though.--

(Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • Antidas said:
    Makaela said:
    I find it funny that it is only Good whose definitions are changed.  The Te'Serra had the right to ex-comm before and suddenly these New(Old) gods are saying they are wrong and their definition is the right one.  Seriously if the gods cant agree then they need to leave mortals be until they all figure out. I mean Aurora and Deucalion were brought back to life. What will happen if the Te'Serra suddenly come back? Oh oh they need to all go timeout and talk to find the real definition of  Good.  BTW I would love to see this play out.
    Fyi, this was the biggest reason why the admins got rid of the Te'Serra and brought back Aurora and Deucalion. Because the Te'Serra kept changing the proper definition of Good until it was so convoluted that no one really knew what it was. Thus, we got Aurora and Deucalion to set a single proper definition for Good. Te'Serra won't be coming back, and Deucora's definition of Good is THE definition of Good - the rest is no longer relevant.
    Slight thing. The Te'Serra should be allowed to morph and come back (Especially as the game moves along). Most of them had multiple realms no offense. For example Pentharian had Honor that was attached to his realm heck it's why Silas got kicked out the Elysians at least once that I can remember. We even had Mhaldorians in our pre-order simply to learn about honor at one point (and that was Original Penth as I recall). Miramar really could come back and go total neuteral I always felt her tie to Te'Serra kind of limited her. Tarah would not be horrible either the whole Peace and Harmony vibe especially compared to the now polarizing city states might make for some interesting counter-roleplay. And I know of at least a couple loopholes on the first two that would allow them to come back if Admins ever decided too but oh well #spoilers
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

• Stories do not evolve by constantly going back to the past. Aurora/Deucalion are a rarity and should remain so.
  • @Morthif that would be spoilers and Knowledge that will probably die with the few Elysians who were left. Not sure about the others though.

• Razzlo said:
    Oh yeah, @Verrucht  I am sure the Phaestians would love the Occies. And Mhaldor seems totally cool with Cyrene using Necromancy. We just need to reclaim bards
    And Druids.  

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• Prythe said:
    Razzlo said:
    Oh yeah, @Verrucht  I am sure the Phaestians would love the Occies. And Mhaldor seems totally cool with Cyrene using Necromancy. We just need to reclaim bards
    And Druids.  
    @Verrucht Please for the love of everything forestals... I'll never play them but heck I miss non eleusian forestals. (Other than @Lisbethae and @Kaiu who are both saints). Either that or give us Runewarden as a faction specific.

• edited April 2015
    Linton said:
    Those who see Achaea more as a world will want it to have open ended possibilities and variations, they see broad/ooc attempts to regulate or define as stifling to roleplay. They want everything to be player driven.

Those who see it more as a game seem more focused on how to compartmentalize everyone so we can have clean and clearcut conflict lines. They feel that ultimately Achaea is a game, and games must have sides and rules, and sometimes fixes that are necessary even if they can potentially hurt realism.
    No, those same open ended possibilities create challenging and new gameplay as well. Clean and clearcut conflict lines are dull and boring for all by creating stagnation within the game. There is no reason to have such mind numbingly dull static fixtures in a mud! The second group are fanatics and carebears whom view achaea as a glorified chatroom/storybook and seek to destroy creativity in all forms.

The fanatics want Achaea to be just like how their aging demented mind viewed it in their youth. And the carebears are afraid of retribution, they see it fitting for such a large sacrifice of playerbase so long as its not their RP/funtime getting stepped on in their sequestered hidy holes.

I blame the other IRE muds that aren't as competent as Achaea, they dump their trash players and badmins here. I think we need an Achaea 2 to be released or some manner of reboot. The game has been around so long that it is now treated as an elderly cripple.
  • Silvarien said:
    The current conflict between Targ and Cyrene hits me particularly hard because I am a CR5 in Cyrene and am at the same time friends with almost all of Targossas. I can literally think of only one guy there that actively dislikes me. You guys in each post of this are stating your city's viewpoint, when I can see both cities' viewpoint and have largely kept silent because I fully know I can't do much in what's happening. And this is something I both hoped would never happen and in my heart-of-hearts knew would happen eventually.

I think anybody that knows me on both sides both IC and OOC knows I won't betray either side or do anything nasty to either side, but I do wish there was some tangible way for reconciliation instead of this. Cyrene and Targ have different philosophies but somehow always managed to travel along lines parallel to each other. People see Devotion as some sort of carrot on a stick, I always saw it as a connection. That connection went bye-bye. And I think that sucks.
    @Silvarien I didn't have much interaction with you in my Church days but I always felt that Cyrene and Shallam (and shallams progeny) had been cemented by bonds that couldn't be broken. More months and days were spent landmarking together than I care to count. CTF-Alliances were formed and I always felt Cyrene would be a friend. I still feel like Cyrene is a friend even though they don't want us. But that is what happens in radicalization. Talk ceases and someones point becomes the only point it drives a wedge in cooperation and discussion it makes things clean and clearcut but it also damages characters and storylines most of the times irreparably. I also think that in cases where it is only done to one side of a situation it is unnecessarily unfair but that might be my own opinion. All that being said I always respected you and @Colgano immensely for trying to keep alive something that a certain group always tried to kill.

On a completely OOC note i will miss quite a lot of you I've gotten to know over the years. @Yen @Baldazar @Kaiu @Greys @Iskla @Synbios @Draekar just to name a few. Just maybe when your older you'll come retire with us when you tire of ceaseless raids.

• @Vion Lusternia has a dynaic political system. Which cities/communes has been allied with which has changed far more often than here while each maintained what made them unique.

I can not speak on other IRE games as I never played them.

Achaea just needs to find a middle of the road approach between player run and admin enforced Politics. The break off of Cyrene and Targ is a good example of this albier handled somewhat poorly.

• What about it, exactly, was handled poorly? Realistic characters are flawed, realistic politics are messy and reflect such flaws. This is as realistic as politics and ideology get, and from an OOC perspective all the people out a class (that they could keep by just switching cities, by the way) are being refunded by their city.
  • edited April 2015
    Kakotas said:
    On a completely OOC note i will miss quite a lot of you I've gotten to know over the years. @Yen @Baldazar @Kaiu @Greys @Iskla @Synbios @Draekar just to name a few. Just maybe when your older you'll come retire with us when you tire of ceaseless raids.
    To be fair, these people can still hang out with us if they feel like it, and it won't be fraternizing (and vice versa). :)
  • Handled poorly does not mean should not have een done or realistic. If this situation occured IRL it would be said both sides handled it poorly. Which is true. This situation was a matter of both sides escalating the problem instead of trying to cooperate.  Nothing wrong with that as I felt Cyrene needed its own identiry. Now Bards and Runewardens back to Cyrene!

• JeslynJeslyn United States
    Silvarien said:
    The current conflict between Targ and Cyrene hits me particularly hard because I am a CR5 in Cyrene and am at the same time friends with almost all of Targossas. I can literally think of only one guy there that actively dislikes me. You guys in each post of this are stating your city's viewpoint, when I can see both cities' viewpoints and have largely kept silent because I fully know I can't do much in what's happening. And this is something I both hoped would never happen and in my heart-of-hearts knew would happen eventually.

I think anybody that knows me on both sides both IC and OOC knows I won't betray either side or do anything nasty to either side, but I do wish there was some tangible way for reconciliation instead of this. Cyrene and Targ have different philosophies but somehow always managed to travel along lines parallel to each other. People see Devotion as some sort of carrot on a stick, I always saw it as a connection. That connection just went bye-bye. And I think that sucks.
    Same issue for my character, but since I wasn't super high up in Cyrene I didn't have much to lose by going rogue to avoid conflict. :( If I was, it would have been a different story. But still, devotion was dying in Cyrene even from the short time I was around. Not a lot of people were interested in the new Good. Cyrenians didn't even benefit much from our powers either. I can totally see, and support, why they wouldn't have qualms to say 'bye Felicia' when Targossas threw that threat out there.
  • Makaela said:
    Handled poorly does not mean should not have een done or realistic. If this situation occured IRL it would be said both sides handled it poorly. Which is true. This situation was a matter of both sides escalating the problem instead of trying to cooperate.  Nothing wrong with that as I felt Cyrene needed its own identiry. Now Bards and Runewardens back to Cyrene!
    Sure, from an in-character perspective the characters involved were all stubborn and handled it with less than perfect diplomacy. But that's for in-game discussion, whereas the forums are OOC! And you were talking about 'admins and players' which naturally leads a reader to conclude you meant the players or admins handled it poorly. With these kinds of events it's extremely important to keep a very thick line between IC/OOC, especially since anyone who plays in Cyrene/Targ can tell a lot of people have an OOC problem with one side or the other that they bring IC.
  • CarmellCarmell Eastern Washington
    So many people complain that Targossians were rude to Cyrenians.  Yet I quit the Cyrene guard after I'd been treated rudely a number of times after I awaked from a 6 rl year slumber.  Mind you I had been a member of the Cyrene guard for over 200 years at that point.  It came down to Cyrenians were treating me in an unacceptable manner so I quit.  The treatment was on both sides.  Go look at the news posts or even here in the forums 2 or 3 CTF's ago. When Targossas chose to help cyrene in the CTF because we weren't winning and then Ashtan raided Cyrene because of it.  Cyrenians from all over the place came out and said but we didn't ask them to they did it all on their own.  Nice thank you for us helping you.  There was decisions made on both sides that caused this and it has been coming since Targossas was founded.
  • orum posting about IC events is still new to me. I shall attempt to clarify my meanings in the future 

• @Carmell: I don't doubt it. Cyrenians can be odd. Once they percieve you as "in the wrong," most won't give you anything, even if their reasons for doing so happen to be flawed. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for the Targossans who tried to move past it to do exactly that.

I know Nim behaved coldly as well, but in her defense, she's cold toward everyone, and often overly brutal in philosophical debates. :3

• JeslynJeslyn United States
    You're right @Nim, @Aodfionn's version of diaspora made it sexy - especially when you got involved in the rp of it. I came in at the beginning of his rule and the end of his predecessor's, and I was this super excited novice who jumped at every opportunity. Diaspora was a blast. Kind of sad not a lot of priests/paladins took advantage of it while they could. But it did have a good run. :)
  • All Hail @Yen master of everything.

-Nice to know some things never change no matter who wants them to or whose in charge.

• edited April 2015
    I have only been creeping back into playing Achaea again the last couple weeks. Having been involved in this debate and RP around this for pretty much the last decade I'll be pretty interested to see how it plays out and how both cities move forward and grow from this situation.

Also really glad to see @Aurora again and to see @Deucalion is still about. Both have been near perfect in their understanding and speaking about Good/Devo etc since the changes. I expect nothing less during this next stage, and I think a lot of players could learn a lot from just studying what they have said and have to say on the matter.

Targossas and Cyrene have some really strong leadership as well in @Aldair and @Verrucht and it should be fun to see what sort of developments might progress in relationships between the two cities.

Also hi @Kakotas and @Itkovian ! We'll have to find a tavern somewhere to catch up ICly sometime!
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Melodie said:
    Do you guys know how weird it is to be a pinpoint on a timeline where things started to drastically change? Shit's surreal.

That aside, and I'll keep this as brief as possible, as I've been out of the scene a while:

Very shortly after my restoration to Devotion, the Lumeni was suddenly unwoven in front of all of us. I feel like this is an important other point of note that perhaps many didn't know about because of where Devotion was before it fizzed out. Aurora and Deucalion called all of us plus Verrucht to stand at the highway overlooking a broken land (basically where you can see Shallam's ruins) and right before us, told us they had decided that Devotion is to remain outside of Targossas' gates, but that the Lumeni weren't doing a good job of it, and gave us the Diaspora instead.

The reaction to this could have been exceptionally volatile, and nearly was. But I saw this as an opportunity to finally be on a better, if not the same, level of treatment and respect we had wanted from Shallam, and then Targossas, all these years. So I argued. For over an hour, with one person, and with several other people as time went on. I argued for the Diaspora, for the chance it had to give Devotionists an even playing field for the first time... ever. I was excited. I was even more excited when Aurora noticed and spoke to me about her thoughts of eventually, one day the Diaspora Council would host non-Targossian Devotionists. That became my dream, my hope, my future.

And then well. Things didn't go as expected.

You could say that's my fault. Maybe it is. Whether it's true or not (this isn't the place to argue it), the effect remains the same: It destroyed the hope I had, both as a character and as a player. Thus began the radical series of changes you all have witnessed to some degree, else I would have left Achaea, firmly, forever.

The reason I tell you all this is because I wanted to highlight the fact that somehow - don't ask me how - Aodfionn found out about the above: About my dreams for not just a clan, but a community, and the ability for Devotionists to have that even playing field, no matter your place of living. And he talked to me about them, even though I was Mhaldorian. First off, that meant a lot to me. Second off, I knew just how big of a challenge he had facing him, but it earned from me (and Melodie) an eternal respect for taking on a project literally every other Targossian had decided wasn't worth the effort.

So when I heard of the escalation of events (OOCly first, and then later IC) regarding the shop theft, and then Aldair's response and so on, I was at first immediately morose, because on a level I probably didn't quite want to acknowledge, I wanted Aodfionn to succeed. But as the days have been going by, I know its for the best, that it was time for Cyrene to move on from a storyline I and others invested two, five, eight, ten, twelve real years into, and for some of us, became our life and our characters... even though those characters eventually had to move on.

Now it's time to end one beautiful era and, I hope, for Cyrene to start a new one afresh that is just as complex and compelling, but something they can better control.

My only request (ha, because I have room for requests, yeah right) is that Devotion in Cyrene somehow leaves behind a legacy that's better than "Well some little shit robbed our shop and then we didn't have Devotion". I want to see all the crazy things that happened (Rho, Theodelinda and her story, the two Lumeni chapels, Shallam's fall, Targossas' rise, and everything after that) be remembered and passed on as a rich part of Cyrene's history. I'll be doing what I can IC, but I'm just a single person completely out of Cyrene's loop now.

Otherwise, it's time for us all to let go.

Cheers to those who made these times interesting and compelling, both in Cyrene, Targossas, or wherever else you are nowadays. Aodfionn, don't let the stamping out of your own hope keep you down for long.

Things get better.

This was certainly interesting to read. The timelines are kind of cosmic and hilarious in how they line up.

In all honesty, that we wound up talking about it was kind of by sheer coincidence. The whole idea of making it an even playing field for all the Devotionists, a sort of mixture of the Harbingers and a civil service organization for the outside world - or moving towards that - was inspired by some things Daeir said out of frustration after Zenui's Trial of Worth. That you and I happened upon the same conclusion is pretty eerie, but at the same time makes sense if you can be the kind of person who can suspend the OOC knowledge that it eventually probably wouldn't end well.

Prior to being Deacon, I had been Daeir's aide for a few weeks and been working with Cyrene. When he got promoted, I kind of just stepped in with no idea wtf I was doing. So I basically tried to emulate what I saw Daeir do, albeit in a very different and far more political manner. The amount of progress that seemed to be made was astonishing on the Cyrenian end, but I did a mostly horrible job of doing any PR on the Targossian side of things. 

Unfortunately, Aodfionn (and myself, despite that always-lingering thought that it was bound to end eventually) put a bit too much faith in how much progress had been made, and Cyrene decided to summarily neuter the Diaspora. We were getting almost to the point where the Diasporans would themselves have been able to preach (at least, Jeslyn and Drual, who were the Cyrenians on the Council), but we only had ten years or so from start to finish of the process, and the newest changes to help get Cyrene more invested/involved only went in a few weeks ago. 

Fortunately, this all came at a time where I was just running out of energy and ideas on how to keep the Diaspora moving in a fresh direction and also being appointed HL/Lumarch. So the timing is actually pretty awesome - now, I have time to pester @Aurora with weird ideas for the house/city. We had a good run, but hopefully the Cyrenians who dipped and the ones who stayed Devotionists are all stoked for their new roles.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"