So I leave for a weekend concert series, and I can't be a priest in Cyrene anymore?

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Sarathai said:
    Jovolo said:
    I think technically Phaestus could cut off the magic that makes Runelore actually work, but I don't think he'd have the ability to control who it benefits. Something to do with Yggdrasil, but I can't remember. It's been a long time since I've been in his pre-order. I'd rather new classes be introduced than make some random - up to justify factionalising existing neutral classes.
    Twenty-nine runes were inscribed on the World Tree by Sarapis back in "prehistory" times. However, the branch was cut off (clearly somebody needed themselves a new Splinter...), and the knowledge began to decay, so it was sealed. Later the fallen branch was remade and the runes were re-etched on the tree, which restored Runelore. So presumably you couldn't cut off the magic without doing something rather nasty to the World Tree.
    There is a spare on Meropis... time for some experimentation!

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited April 2015
    Klendathu said:
    Sarathai said:
    Jovolo said:
    I think technically Phaestus could cut off the magic that makes Runelore actually work, but I don't think he'd have the ability to control who it benefits. Something to do with Yggdrasil, but I can't remember. It's been a long time since I've been in his pre-order. I'd rather new classes be introduced than make some random - up to justify factionalising existing neutral classes.
    Twenty-nine runes were inscribed on the World Tree by Sarapis back in "prehistory" times. However, the branch was cut off (clearly somebody needed themselves a new Splinter...), and the knowledge began to decay, so it was sealed. Later the fallen branch was remade and the runes were re-etched on the tree, which restored Runelore. So presumably you couldn't cut off the magic without doing something rather nasty to the World Tree.
    There is a spare on Meropis... time for some experimentation!
    It's the same tree.

Also, experimentation has to be done with consent by the other party. No attacking the tree!
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• itt predictible justification to keep runelore around.
  • I'd love some Chronomancers in Cyrene. Zilean pls
  • Jacen said:
    I'm not sure why faction classes for Cyrene and Hashan(not neutral) doesn't make sense. Are they not capable of pursuing knowledge or magic or whatever on their own? Does Cyrene's neutrality make it somehow incapable of discovering or creating a time nexus that empowers only the chronomancers of Cyrene?
    Unbiased opinion: A thought occurs - a faction class unique to Cyrene should ideally embody the dominant philosophy/theme espoused by the city.

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Jacen said:
    I'm not sure why faction classes for Cyrene and Hashan(not neutral) doesn't make sense. Are they not capable of pursuing knowledge or magic or whatever on their own? Does Cyrene's neutrality make it somehow incapable of discovering or creating a time nexus that empowers only the chronomancers of Cyrene?
    This would make more sense than using an existing class. 
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Itkovian said:
    But seriously, while I would love to see each city have factional classes, it's for the best as things are. We don't have special toys, but in return we're not beholden to Divines like the factional cities.
    Yeah, thats the trade off. You said it much better than I could.
  • I can't imagine Phaestus and Scarlatti ever not having a major sway over Cyrene, short of them acting utterly against it. It's just their realms, much like Cyrene, don't have much in the way of near-permanent conflict quite like Good vs Evil vs Chaos, and the Gods themselves tend to be as live-and-let-live as Cyrene itself. They, in that respect, embody Cyrene's ideals fairly well.

And Twilight presumably rules Hashan with a shadowy fist of manipulation and intrigue, or something.

so yeah, lorewarden class with wordforging, lorecraft, and respect skills please, would totes multiclass into it. respect is lost if you act disrespectful yourself, limiting the effects of your wordforging and lorecraft substantially, perhaps only to clans you have a ton of power in, maybe a shady backstory edit at best.

• Herenicus said:
    If I hadn't just gotten in trouble for wrasslin' with Jules, I'd definitely contribute more to this gang bang. I guess the nice thing to do is to assume we're dealing with the brightest seventh grader in school and put an appreciative gold star next to his Mark Twain quote.

Leave my name out of this Vion shit.  I am really trying not to play forums, but when you feel the need to bring my name up in the middle of this, not too subtly implying that I have something in common with this guy, it really fucking pisses me off. 
  • Jules said:
    Herenicus said:
    If I hadn't just gotten in trouble for wrasslin' with Jules, I'd definitely contribute more to this gang bang. I guess the nice thing to do is to assume we're dealing with the brightest seventh grader in school and put an appreciative gold star next to his Mark Twain quote.

Leave my name out of this Vion shit.  I am really trying not to play forums, but when you feel the need to bring my name up in the middle of this, not too subtly implying that I have something in common with this guy, it really fucking pisses me off. 
    I do not think he implied a similarity. Merely that H wants to jump on the bandwagon of pointing out Vion's stupidity but as he got a warning from whatever he did to you He cant risk it.
    Don't be so ready to jump to conclusions.

• Jules said:

@Jules: Alternative interpretation, subject to Herenicus's correction: There is a great temptation in putting down Vion's caustic reactions, but considering that he has an outstanding shoot-to-kill-if-he-crosses-the-line order from moderators, caused by your and his previous forum altercations, he has decided to stand down and probably let others do it.

Disclaimer: I am wholly ignorant of any existing forum "bad blood" between the two of you, so please take that into consideration if my reply might elicit negative emotions towards my infinite being.

• You know, I actually appreciate the impulse to play Devil's Advocate.  It's generally a very good and admirable impulse, but you really have no idea.  Put it this way, there's a reason he got in (some) trouble for "wrasslin'" with me (finally, apparently)... and now my name in this thread, in such a way that it's strongly implied that "welp, if I hadn't got in trouble for "wrasslin'" with that other crazy (you know, JULES), I could join in here, alas". 
  • Jules said:
    You know, I actually appreciate the impulse to play Devil's Advocate.  It's generally a very good and admirable impulse, but you really have no idea.  Put it this way, there's a reason he got in (some) trouble for "wrasslin'" with me (finally, apparently)... and now my name in this thread, in such a way that it's strongly implied that "welp, if I hadn't got in trouble for "wrasslin'" with that other crazy (you know, JULES), I could join in here, alas". 
    Acknowledgement: There may be existing bad blood between you and Herenicus.

Pacification: Be that as it may, giving in to the temptation to respond in kind will only exponentially increase the chances of reigniting the conflict between the two of you.

Entreaty: Just let it slide, human. The 'crazy thought-police paranoid' just got itself locked in the oubliette of the "Red Banned Society", so we can all relax and continue a civil discussion.

• I basically just needed to rawr at this point, yeah.  And yeah, saw that guy did get himself banned fairly spectacularly.  He was obviously very passionate about this event... because he has so few posts otherwise.  I actually had a lot of trouble figuring out exactly what he was saying.  Anyway, yep. 
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Synbios said:
    Acknowledgement: There may be existing bad blood between you and Herenicus.

My disagreement is limited to certain forum practices, as too-thoroughly discussed in the earlier fracas. I yield back the balance of my time to the gentlewoman from Giedi Prime.
  • Jules stahp.

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Faction-tied classes are meant to pigeonhole your character RP into a specific alignment (Good, Evil, Chaos, Nature). It might make some sense for Hashan to have a Darkness-themed class unique to them, gaining powers from Twilight's shadow realm or something, where it would make sense for you to be able to be cut off from those powers. For Cyrene, however, they're sort of filling Hashan's old role (total neutrality) and I can't think of a justifiable reason for them to have a faction-specific class.

I mean, what would be the grounds for cutting off someone's Runelore or Harmonics? "Sorry, you're not RPing a neutral bureaucrat hard enough. Please sign the dotted line and a representative will serve you your class severance papers in 6 - 8 business weeks".

• Silas said:
    Aminah said:
    Now THIS is what I've been waiting for!

In all seriousness, it is an interesting point. Imagine how different the reactions would be if runelore was recalled. But of course, that will never happen.
    I've been a proponent of a runelore recall for a long time. I think all cities should have factional classes to make them uniquely appealing to new players, and think runie/bard are very obvious choices for Cyrene's. Hashan would have shaman and probably alchemist after the tradeskill split.

It'd have a unique (in today's Achaea) impact on the gameworld, in that cities would then (eventually) be reliant on Hashan or Cyrene for totem work, which both lessens the PK burden on the people who choose not to join combat-centric cities, and forces people in the other four cities to consider the actual ramifications of their actions if they're bored and want to start shit with everybody.

I'm all for it.
    The advantage here would be that only Cyrene and Hashan could uproot and smudge totems, coincidentally reducing massively the totem upkeep burden for everyone.

• Itkovian said:
    But seriously, while I would love to see each city have factional classes, it's for the best as things are. We don't have special toys, but in return we're not beholden to Divines like the factional cities.
    Why does a faction class have to be a gift from a divine? That's been done, and its boring. What if a faction class was explicitly tied to citizenship instead?

re:Factionalizing totem work, I'm wary of locking Cyrene and Hashan into their current status of "Not the Big Four." Who knows what the future could bring?
  • edited April 2015
    I guess this is somewhat late, particularly given the derail, but I didn't really see anyone address it much and I have pretty strong feelings about this viewpoint.
    Linton said:
    I think a concern of the Original Poster that was not entirely addressed is this: From her extensive ingame reading, that she learned about Good as defined by the old Gods of Good. Now people are saying those are being deemed as erroneous by a new set of Good Gods who introduced a new set of doctrine. Consider now a priest character during the time of this transition from old to new doctrine. How do they make the -personal- transition of their beliefs? Can they? What if they followed the old God doctrine not because some God said to do it but out of conviction that those beliefs were right. Would it matter now some new authority is saying something else? Maybe from this we can see how that is a potential problem for players who play their characters to that level of realism. I sensed a few ex-Shallamese players here who are maybe like that. The struggle to stay true to their character in Achaea that perhaps they see more as a world than as a game.

Those who see Achaea more as a world will want it to have open ended possibilities and variations, they see broad/ooc attempts to regulate or define as stifling to roleplay. They want everything to be player driven.

Those who see it more as a game seem more focused on how to compartmentalize everyone so we can have clean and clearcut conflict lines. They feel that ultimately Achaea is a game, and games must have sides and rules, and sometimes fixes that are necessary even if they can potentially hurt realism.

Not one is better than the other, just different. Once we can see that, then I think there will be alot less hurt feelings when things happen. It will help to know which direction Achaea is going too, so we can adjust our expectations and play accordingly if we decided it is still a game we want to play.
    I think this is almost exactly wrong.

The transition from the old gods to the new was not OOC. It was entirely IC - hell, they're not even really new gods, they're even older gods. People are complaining that they're defining Good now? They're the ones who wrote the original Holy Codex! The change might have been prompted by some OOC considerations, but no part of it breached the IC/OOC barrier. They didn't just say "the old gods weren't working, so we retconned it", the storyline of the game lead us to where we are now.

The thing that is stifling to roleplay is insisting that the world must remain static and any attempt to "regulate or define" is stifling to roleplay. That could not be more wrong. Restrictions are what allow for meaningful roleplay. If you could be an evil paladin, that would be more "open ended", but it would destroy any semblance of immersion or continuity to the world. Roleplaying is not just about doing whatever you want, it's about inventing a character and doing things that a person would do given the world they are in. To some degree, you want the world to be open-ended, but it's only interesting if the world and the player organisations impose bounds on that freedom. Otherwise it's not a world with people living in it, it's just a bunch of individuals doing whatever in the same general vicinity. It's not roleplaying (well, it's maybe playing role, but that's not the same as the sort we're talking about with roleplaying games), it's playing with text action figures.

If you are serious about roleplaying in a world that is largely open-ended, this whole series of events presents no problems for your playstyle. If anything, it should be exciting. If you are serious about playing a naturalistic character, the new Good is something your character is going to have a reaction to - how do they feel about being stripped of Devotion? How do they feel about Targossas? Staying true to their character means maybe being conflicted about the changes. It means struggling to figure out what to do next in a dynamic world where things don't always happen the way you they will.

It does not mean that when a series of IC events leads to a perfectly plausible situation, you get angry because the world isn't completely static. It should not mean being unhappy that there were OOC considerations behind events even when those events are totally plausible IC too. It should not mean that things that make your character unhappy or force them to react to a changing world are undesirable.

If you are dedicated to roleplaying, what matters is that the events were plausible and the world remains immersive and that you now get to figure out how your character reacts to it.

@Aminah: I don't understand why you (and, especially, others) have kept insisting that it isn't made clear anywhere that the new Good text overrides the old. The entire Good faction of the game understands this. The old Good gods are literally dead. The new Good gods have made it clear that their stuff supercedes the old at every possible juncture. This is rammed down the throats of anyone who so much as looks at Targossas. It's the first thing drilled into every novice's head, both by the elder players and by the actual, built-in, mechanical tasks for the city. It's the first point in just about every single player-written book on Good in Targossas's library. There were several news posts about it when the change happened, and it gets reiterated in Public news posts all the time. You seem to be unhappy that they haven't made it clearer, but I'm honestly not sure how they could possibly have made it clearer without actually retconning all the old stuff out, which is completely antithetical to the central concept of the game.

I understand that you are new and you are frustrated that you didn't happen to run into any of these things. That's totally reasonable. But to continue to insist that no one could possibly have known when people keep explaining that most people could have known very easily seems sort of silly.
  • Aktillum said:
    Faction-tied classes are meant to pigeonhole your character RP into a specific alignment (Good, Evil, Chaos, Nature). It might make some sense for Hashan to have a Darkness-themed class unique to them, gaining powers from Twilight's shadow realm or something, where it would make sense for you to be able to be cut off from those powers. For Cyrene, however, they're sort of filling Hashan's old role (total neutrality) and I can't think of a justifiable reason for them to have a faction-specific class.

I mean, what would be the grounds for cutting off someone's Runelore or Harmonics? "Sorry, you're not RPing a neutral bureaucrat hard enough. Please sign the dotted line and a representative will serve you your class severance papers in 6 - 8 business weeks".
    Just a nitpick: Cyrene is not about Total Neutrality. Let's not confuse isolationism for something it isn't. We still have values we care about (Culture, Arts, Independence, Honour, etc.).

So, grounds for cutting off whatever factional skill would be many: not living by the ethics of Cyrene, or otherwise taking action against Cyrene or aiding Cyrene's enemies.

Though personally I think faction classes should generally involve direct incentives to get engaged in world conflict, which unlikely for Cyrene (unless conflict comes to it). That's not to say Cyrenians can't get involved in PvP at large (I certainly intend to), but full on conflict is unlikely. And since factional classes seem to be used to encourage conflict, I'm not sure if it'd be appropriate for Cyrene (never mind the other issues mentioned in my previous post).
  • The problem is neutrality and no real obligations naturally attract a lot of players. From an OOC point, neutral cities don't need factional classes because they already have a big player-count draw mechanic. Targossas/Mhaldor/Eleusis have restrictions that chase away a lot of people (Targ/Mhaldor mostly of course), so they get shiny classes to make up for it. If you give Cyrene factional classes, too, it'll draw away even more players from the cities that are involved in global affairs.
  • Cyrene could always you know grow a pair and decided they are tired of taking backseat in Global Politics and strike out to punish those disrespectful heathens! j/k I know this could never appen

• Makaela said:
    Cyrene could always you know grow a pair and decided they are tired of taking backseat in Global Politics and strike out to punish those disrespectful heathens! j/k I know this could never appen
    The Taupe Tide will consume all!
  • The thing I really like about Cyrene having a totem monopoly (which Silas is the first to mention explicitly and which I've been avoiding jumping in on... because, I need to not be playing forums), is that, as he mentioned, it keeps us from being a whipping boy (which, because we are so full of non-comms, we have a tendency to be, and I think that tendency is only going to intensify).  As long as Cyrene is what she is, and as long as totems are used as a hugely important city defense mechanic, Cyrene having some sort of leverage like that to keep other cities from abusing us makes a lot of sense.  I mean, as long as Cyrene isn't raiding other cities, because I also think it's a bad thing to completely discourage any and all combat by Cyrenians (sea combat, for example, makes a great deal of sense for us), as it leaves us without any sort of acceptable combat leadership.  As for Hashan, not sure, thought they wanted to go in a more combat oriented direction, but if they're going to remain neutral, having a totem monopoly along with Cyrene (and probably close ties with each other) would make sense.  Like I said though, that's not what I've heard Hashan wanting to do on here (be neutral).  They'd probably be happier with an awesome factional combat class.  Other than that, it's probably fine to not give Cyrene "cool toys" (like bard for example), unless and until things were very different and it made sense for Cyrene to say "we want to play conflict too" (but as things stand we'd be crazy to do that).  And of course, if that ever happened, it would be time to yank the totem monopoly as well, because it would no longer make sense for us to hold that kind of leverage over other cities. 
  • If it makes anyone feel better I want to play an infernal in eleusis... and I know that will never everrrrrrrrrrrrrr happen.