Artefact questions and discussion

Comments

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    edited December 2014
    Klendathu said:
    I have a similar question to Grandue, with an approximate budget of 1500 credits (as soon as that credit market drops below my maximum threshold!) and being a bard

Combat:
    a rapier carved from living ice (Soulpiercer)
    a translucent shield of living ice bearing the Divine Order arms of Vastar (Shield of Absorption)
    a glittering lyre of ice (Lasallian lyre)
    an ice-spider amulet (buckawn's amulet)
    a golden pendulum
    a diadem of living ice (Aldar Diadem)

Stats:
    Gauntlets of the Aldar

Travel:
    Aristeas, a gryphon (pet)
    a vibrant xaohlatl (collared order-specific mount)
    a set of mithril spurs
    a platinum whistle
    a ring of flying
    an enchanted pebble
    intricately carved wings of living ice (eagle's wings)

Misc:
    a dragonskin pack
    a ring of Lucretian clarity
    goggles of whitesight
    a glittering ring of vitality
    3x ornately carved ivory pipe
    fur-lined robes (Robes of the Magi)
    a gem of cloaking
    an Amulet of the Will
    a ring of endurance
    a Hood of the Sphinx
    a frost-rimed tunnel earring (aural earring)
    a Ceylonese ring

Ceylonese bracelet and hunters belt.  And a rangers bow (to shoot meteors at the very least)
  • Mizik said:
    @Grandue Do you not have a Collar, crazy man? 
    I do. Collar of Agatheis. Or were you referring to some other collar?
  • Ah, I missed it
  • A question regarding sipping percentages and so on. The math for it, basically. As a reference, I have a +1 CON belt, level 2 bracelet, and a level 1 sip ring. I've also transed Concoctions, assuming the sip bonus for that is still around (I wouldn't know - I've never really paid much attention to it before now, and I've already transed it at this point).

For comparative purposes, how much % is the sipping increase of an upgrade for the bracelet to level 3 (5% health/mana increase), or the belt to level 2 (~7% health increase?), against the sip ring level 2 upgrade of an extra flat 10% to sipping?
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Average sip is 70+MaxHealth*15%. I can't compare bracelet/belt to sip ring without knowing your level and con.
  • Sena said:
    Average sip is 70+MaxHealth*15%. I can't compare bracelet/belt to sip ring without knowing your level and con.
    85 with 14 CON (12 base, +1 Robust, +1 from the hunter's belt I've already got).
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."

• @sena can you advise me what sip bonus would be with level 3 belt/ring/bracelet and potentially what I should be averaging with 5.5k health? Not sure if mine seems a tad low.
  • Sarathai said:
    Sena said:
    Average sip is 70+MaxHealth*15%. I can't compare bracelet/belt to sip ring without knowing your level and con.
    85 with 14 CON (12 base, +1 Robust, +1 from the hunter's belt I've already got).
    Then your average sip is about 916, upgrading the bracelet to L3 would make it about 955 (and increase health to 4841), upgrading the belt to L2 would make it about 967 (and increase health to 4911), upgrading the sip ring to L2 would make it about 993. Although if you're considering PvP rather than just bashing, it's more complicated, since most PvP damage scales with max health.
    Seftin said:
    @sena can you advise me what sip bonus would be with level 3 belt/ring/bracelet and potentially what I should be averaging with 5.5k health? Not sure if mine seems a tad low.
    If the sip ring is your only sip bonus, L3 is 30%. With 5.5k health and a 30% bonus, your average sip should be around 1163.
  • Ah, have the concotions bonus too -not sure what that is (10% maybe?) Thank you @Sena! :)
  • I think trans concoctions is 10%, but I'm not entirely sure.
  • I think 15%.

http://www.achaea.com/forum/concoctions-bonus
    http://www.achaea.com/forum/concoctions-sip-bonus
    http://www.achaea.com/forum/concoctions-sipping-bonus

Whether or not these are still in effect (they're old posts, so it could have changed, and like I said, I never really kept track), I do not know.

• As a fast-travel question, how often do customised Wings exits become available to buy, be it as an auction item or limited-time purchase? And how much do they usually go for when they appear?

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    edited December 2014
    Sarathai said:
    As a fast-travel question, how often do customised Wings exits become available to buy, be it as an auction item or limited-time purchase? And how much do they usually go for when they appear?
    Very rarely(once a year maybe) and for ungodly sums of credits.  Cheapest set was probably 8k credits.  Just guessing
  • Last set of auction wings went for 16k credits or something stupid, I think the set before was a similar amount.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Antonius said:
    Last set of auction wings went for 16k credits or something stupid, I think the set before was a similar amount.
    Penwize's wings were 15k credits, mine went for a little over 12k.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:
    Antonius said:
    Last set of auction wings went for 16k credits or something stupid, I think the set before was a similar amount.
    So which of you two is dating Matt<\sarcasm>? I don't even have an escrow that large,  let alone stuff I would be willing to trade for some. . Major props to both of you for keeping the lights turned on at IRE<\serious>
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Austere said:
    Kyrra said:
    Antonius said:
    So which of you two is dating Matt<\sarcasm>? I don't even have an escrow that large,  let alone stuff I would be willing to trade for some. . Major props to both of you for keeping the lights turned on at IRE<\serious>
    Penwize got most of his credits in game, if I'm not mistaken. He did nothing but hunt and generate gold, and bought a lot of his credits through CFS. You have to remember how much more lucrative areas weere before talisman mobs got a gold nerf to help balance things out.

And I had a pretty disposable income. I bid escrow and traded in about 15k worth of arties. Never had regrets about it though and it was totally worth it.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• If I want to keep a BM sword for when multiclass goes in, but want to change class, can I just band it? Will anything happen to it when I change class?
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    If you band it, it'll stay with you and last forever, even if you change class! I've seen a few people with theirs.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Is a level 1 longsword or broadsword worth the cr for the stats?

• I'd say level two or don't bother when it comes to artefact weapons, unless you really want a cool customised weapon that doesn't decay.
  • edited January 2015
    I have a relative pile of credits left from the couple of times I went inactive and accidentally left my membership on.

I already have a couple of health artefacts (a sip ring, a bracelet, and a regen band) and I'm trying to get into combat this time around, so which others are useful for alchemist?

Is an SoA still a good purchase? What about a diadem - that seems somewhat confusing since, for instance, the typical recommendation is nimble over quick-witted. What else is useful?
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    SoA every time, unless you're a BM.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • So...what about diadem? Or other things?
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    It all depends on your budget. If you've got 500 cr, get an SoA first. How much is left over?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Highly dependent on actual budget as Klendathu says. I'd recommend Soa and then certain miniskills for resistances, which should be relatively inexpensive. Hard to say what else without knowing what you have to spend
  • SoA's usefulness has lowered over the past years for 1v1 situations drastically. It still is very useful artefact, but not the over the top best (sell kidney to get it) it used to be years ago.

• Finishers not absorbed by SoA.
    • Combat shifting from high DPS physical attacks to prepped burst damage/instakill finishers.
    • Diminishing returns - reducing 50% health DSL's and torso comboes.
    • Race/trait overhaul giving everyone higher health/less racial weaknesses over advantageous races (Old: Rajamala, Grook, Mhun).

I do not mean SoA is useless, it is still ungodly for bashing, very useful for raid/group fights and situationally for 1v1.
  • I've been playing this game on one character for more than a decade, so I definitely already have all the miniskills (and all the other skills, barring tradeskills).

I know about the general utility of general artefacts, I'm talking alchemist specifically - that's why I keep asking whether a diadem actually does anything useful for alchemists. If, for instance, lower equilibrium is pointless because it won't make wrack any faster, or if there are enough uses for shorter equilibrium to make it worthwhile for more than just faster hunting. If it is useful, it seems like it would be worth it to pick it up now while I'm still wrapping my head around alchemist offence rather than get it later and have to relearn all the timings of everything.

Similarly, are collars actually useful for alchemist? I know I'm not going to damage anyone out by just spamming educe iron, but would it make it significantly easier to get an aurify off?

That's the sort of thing I'm trying to get a handle on.
  • Alchemist offence is pretty stacked out without really being significantly supplemented by offensive artefacts. You can increase your damage, sure, but how often are you going to use damage strategies? It's easy to shield against a damage Alchemist, it's very hard to shield against an affliction Alchemist. I'd build yourself defensively. 

Diadem is generally useful. Speeds up your hunting of course, increases all of your alchemy attacks, touch shield, touch crystal, basically anything that uses a fair amount of equilibrium. Whether or not it's worth it is entirely based on your opinion. I would save the 850 credits for something else, though, just because I don't feel that I'd need it to get kills. You don't either.

A collar is not really going to help your aurify significantly. The most effective method for an Alchemist to get an aurify would be via tempering choleric and melancholic for inundation. You'd at most educe twice in that strategy. The extra 200 or so damage is very rarely going to be worth the 1600 credits you paid for the bonus.

The reason I suggest defensive artefacts is because it allows you to carry out your momentum offence without having to worry so much about your defensive vulnerability.
  • edited January 2015
    Avto said:
    SoA's usefulness has lowered over the past years for 1v1 situations drastically. It still is very useful artefact, but not the over the top best (sell kidney to get it) it used to be years ago.

• Finishers not absorbed by SoA.
    • Combat shifting from high DPS physical attacks to prepped burst damage/instakill finishers.
    • Diminishing returns - reducing 50% health DSL's and torso comboes.
    • Race/trait overhaul giving everyone higher health/less racial weaknesses over advantageous races (Old: Rajamala, Grook, Mhun).

I do not mean SoA is useless, it is still ungodly for bashing, very useful for raid/group fights and situationally for 1v1.

SoA is not "useless" for any class, just to be technical.  You can wield it every time you use a non-TwoArts ability/combo (like, when you diagnose, shield, use any defensive ability, many non-blade attacks, and most notably, any time you're not able to attack, but are able to wield (big one being while prone).

This is particularly great for Blademasters, since SoA ignores the "what shields your class can wield" rule, which buys Blademaster an additional 11% / 11% damage reduction, on top of the absorption effect.  11% damage reduction, on top of the absurdity known as Health/Mana Trans, can be the difference between dying to a leg break damage setup and standing up at nearly full health, ready to stand up and Evade or push your Brokenstar win button.

@Avto is right in that its effectiveness has been somewhat reduced - for the reasons he listed, as well as many others, but there are also quite a few ways it has become more useful.  Being usable by Knight is probably the best example, even if it isn't a very good S&B shield, offensively.