Artefact questions and discussion

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    can vivisect people who don't know trix with 200~ speed rapiers

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Yeah, for Paladin or Runie they kinda make sense. For Infernal not so much. Was testing a bit and might go for a diadem. The web speed for getting past parry, the defensive boost and the fact that it helps Dragon too looks really good.

If I itch too much before I save up enough I will get a ring of flying and the shoot upgrade.

• Minor resurrection to this topic for the following quick question(s):

With regard to damage for metamorphosis maul attacks while hunting denizens, which should provide the greater damage boost, +2 STR gauntlets or level 2 knuckles, and which of the two helps dragon abilities? (I intend to over time bash to dragon.) I have a pendant that boosts criticals, so I'm looking for something to better my base attack damage now.

Additionally, is it worth considering an investment in a +2 constitution belt or a +10% health bracelet? The latter is 300cr cheaper, but I'm not sure which provides the most benefit over the long-term.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Level 2 knuckles will give more maul damage than level 2 gauntlets, unless you only have 10 strength (I'm not sure gauntlets will be better even then, but there will be very little difference at least). Knuckles won't give any benefit to dragons though.

I'm not sure about health vs damage, but for belt vs bracelet, I'd get the bracelet unless you need the extra endurance or you have low (<13) con.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    edited November 2014
    Sarathai said:
    Minor resurrection to this topic for the following quick question(s):

With regard to damage for metamorphosis maul attacks while hunting denizens, which should provide the greater damage boost, +2 STR gauntlets or level 2 knuckles, and which of the two helps dragon abilities? (I intend to over time bash to dragon.) I have a pendant that boosts criticals, so I'm looking for something to better my base attack damage now.

Additionally, is it worth considering an investment in a +2 constitution belt or a +10% health bracelet? The latter is 300cr cheaper, but I'm not sure which provides the most benefit over the long-term.
    Not sure about whether strength does anything for dragons gut.  I want to say yes but not sure.  

I'd recommend +1 con belt (400cr) and a level 2 bracelet(700cr) over +2 con belt (1000cr)
    Con is about an 7% increase in health per point so you get a 14% increase with +2 con.  So you get a 17% increase with level 1 belt and level 2 bracelet (plus 10% more mana).

In order of effectiveness though, level 1 sip ring>hunters belt>mayan bracelet
  • does the artie mill for inkmilling do anything but speed up the production of inks?

does it increase the chances of producing more inks?
  • edited November 2014
    Achilles said:
    Sarathai said:

Not sure about whether strength does anything for dragons gut.  I want to say yes but not sure.  

I'd recommend +1 con belt (400cr) and a level 2 bracelet(700cr) over +2 con belt (1000cr)
    Con is about an 7% increase in health per point so you get a 14% increase with +2 con.  So you get a 17% increase with level 1 belt and level 2 bracelet (plus 10% more mana).

bracelet > belt for bashing and pvp, for the credits.

Str greatly improves gut damage (as does int/collar for incantation).  Diminishing returns start at like 16 or something now, too (only for gut/incantation).

should pretty much level out level of hunting artefacts.  all level 1 arties > level 2 arties, on a benefit per credit basis.  

sip ring > bracelet > belt > regen ring (still good) > mana regen ring

I put bracelet > belt primarily for max mana boost, as this is greatly helpful in both bashing and PVP, and you get much more hp+mp per cr from bracelet.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Ernam said:
    Achilles said:
    Sarathai said:

bracelet > belt for bashing and pvp, for the credits.

Str greatly improves gut damage (as does int/collar for incantation).  Diminishing returns start at like 16 or something now, too (only for gut/incantation).

should pretty much level out level of hunting artefacts.  all level 1 arties > level 2 arties, on a benefit per credit basis.  

sip ring > bracelet > belt > regen ring (still good) > mana regen ring

I put bracelet > belt primarily for max mana boost, as this is greatly helpful in both bashing and PVP, and you get much more hp+mp per cr from bracelet.
    Bracelet is +5% hp/+5% mp while +1 con is about a 7% increase in health.  Health is more important for hunting than mana.

• I'm going off of benefit per credit, not total benefit.  Bracelets are cheaper than belts, and get even cheaper...er as the levels increase.

Also, max mana is really valuable, even hunting.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Jhui said:
    does the artie mill for inkmilling do anything but speed up the production of inks?

does it increase the chances of producing more inks?
    @Jhui

My my understanding, the max number of inks you can make per mill simply goes up. You do not have a chance to produce extra inks.

However, the artefact butchering cleaver does have a chance to produce extra things of whatever you're butchering, including chitin, buffalo horn, fish scales and so on, along with being faster and never mutilating a corpse.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited November 2014
    Achilles said:
    Bracelet is +5% hp/+5% mp while +1 con is about a 7% increase in health.  Health is more important for hunting than mana.
    How much health +1 con adds depends on how much con you already have (also depends on level, but not enough to really matter in this case).

If you have 16 con at level 80, +1 con is about a 5.4% health increase. If you have 18 con (a con-spec runewarden with weathering+jera for example, or any class with con-spec, jera, and a +con icon), then +1 con is only about +4.9% health, less than a bracelet.

For level 1 belt/bracelet, there's only a 50 credit price difference, so it's pretty close unless you have high con, and the choice between endurance or mana probably matters more than the slight health difference. At level 2 the bracelet is 300 credits cheaper though, and 600 credits cheaper at level 3, so the huge price difference means the bracelet is definitely better unless you have low con (or need the endurance).
  • Sena said:
    Level 2 knuckles will give more maul damage than level 2 gauntlets, unless you only have 10 strength (I'm not sure gauntlets will be better even then, but there will be very little difference at least). Knuckles won't give any benefit to dragons though.
    What's the percentage difference on +2 STR gauntlets versus level 2 Knuckles? If it's relevant, I'm sitting on 14 STR at the moment.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Go for 1 of each.  Always the best bet.

Technically speaking, though, knuckles don't really do anything for your kill method (bbt).  Str increases BBT (and everything else's) damage significantly.

• Sarathai said:
    What's the percentage difference on +2 STR gauntlets versus level 2 Knuckles? If it's relevant, I'm sitting on 14 STR at the moment.
    With 14 str, +2 str will increase maul damage by about 9-10%.
  • The whip of taming says you can't garrote with it - but can you envenom and flay with it?
    The Truths hurt. Always.

• Yep.  Everything but garrote.

• Flay isn't affected by whip speed though, is it? So there's no benefit, you just won't have to switch whips to flay if you're already wielding a whip of taming.
  • flay speed is just dex I'm pretty sure, but wouldn't a flay qualify as a "hit" and afflict with pacifism? Otherwise, what qualifies is a "hit" if you can't garrote? Do you hit them with the stock or something?

The Truths hurt. Always.
  • It only afflicts with pacifism when you use the ordinary WHIP command, and only if the whip is unenvenomed.
  • edited November 2014

Flay speed is mildly affected by speed, or at least was (after flay changes) when I tested it.

Dex is the primary modifier, but speed whips do (or at least, did) affect it as well.  IIRC the difference was about 100-150ms tops.

As serpent, I always swap to WoT to flay (up until I got a level 3 lash which is the exact same speed).
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Dear Santa,

I have been unspeakably good this year. I would like some awesome Apostate artefacts to spend money on for Christmas. I will leave a plate of chocolate-dipped coconut Macaroons and some beer for your reindeer. 

Sincerely,

Herenicus

• The last think apostate needs is artefacts, particularly anything that increases affliction rate.  Sure they have hindrance issues (something I'm bringing up in multiple classleads) but their affliction rate is already insane.

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Don't say that. Apostates have had so many sad Christmases on this front, already. There's plenty you could buff beyond the affliction rate. More baalzadeen hp, cooler blackwind, even more irritating soulcages, faster refuge, improved daeggers (or new daemonic weapons), slimier  bloodworms, nightmares that stack on top of daemonites that stack on top of demonites, long-lasting stain, sekret Inferno exits for him that wears the artefact socks of Xerimor, Goggles of Deadeye Willpower Drain Not So Much...  
  • edited November 2014

All good ideas, honestly, aside from soulcage (wtf delete plz) and the faster refuge (would require an alternate message to allow prevention).

• Ernam said:

All good ideas, honestly, aside from soulcage (wtf delete plz) and the faster refuge (would require an alternate message to allow prevention).

Oh noes, a free starburst that you can't immediately blackwind after anymore. HOW TO COPE?!

• RomRom
    edited November 2014
    That is not the issue with soulcage/transmogrification.
    1) It does not count as a death whatsoever. No completion of contract or writ and so on.
    2) It does not cancel the user's timed instakills (eliminate/death).

Imagine this scenario: Jinsun has a contract on me, he preps death rubs over a long period of time in between hermits, universes, and pathfinders. Finally he stops running to fling his Death at me. This gives me enough time to freezex3 and pound, killing him while he's paused. I have to gamble though, I have no way of knowing whether his transmog is up or not. I go for it, because this may be the only way to get him to actually hold still long enough to void the contract through slaying him. I gamble, I pound, he transmogs, I die before getting balance back and he fulfills a contract that he ultimately should have failed due to being killed by his target.

#2 is part of what makes this a great game though, and is infrequent (although maybe infrequence shouldn't be a factor in whether something is tolerable). Issue #1 is not though, it has been around long enough for my taste. :p
    Should keep the user from losing experience still, still keep it off their STAT STATS and function as a starburst, but at least give us credit.
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • Okay so this post is more me asking for advice on what to get next. Recently changed to bard so please keep that in mind.

Currently I have:
    Level 2 bracelet
    4 earrings
    Platinum Whistle
    3 pipes
    Level 1 bow (shooting)
    Circlet
    Gem of Cloaking
    RoF
    Quiver
    Eagles Wings
    Veil
    Peryton
    Dragonskin Pack
    Level 2 con belt
    Buckawns
    Level 2 sip ring
    Level 1 mana regen ring
    Parrot (wut? He's badass.)
    Ram's horn
    SoA
    Goggles of whitesight

Artie Tatoos:
    Moon
    Tree
    Shield
    Boar
    Megalith

I'll be getting 7000 cr within the next 2 weeks. So far I had only planned on picking up diadem, tuning fork, and a SP in anticipation of weapon changes. Any advice on what I should pick up with the remaining 4350 cr? I'm currently a con traited dwarf miner. So I have 18 con, 12 str, and 12 int. I should also get 75 cr worth of vouchers. 2k cr will get me the clay to test other things so feel free to recommend outlandish experimental artefacts that I can test also. Thanks!

• Jovolo said:
    Mother of god
    What? Assuming referring to the amount of cr? I was just going to be pissed if they did crowns after I purchased. Kind of a crummy time to get over 2k cr considering the sale only goes to 2k. I suppose my IRE will give me an addition 700 cr. Advice please Jovolo? Would be much appreciated.