Artefact questions and discussion

Comments

• I just can't justify boar/moss to myself when I can save a little more and get a regen ring and stack the bonuses. I mean, regen ring is 3x perm tattoo cost, but at 300 credits, they aren't incredibly expensive. 
  • boar stacks with everything doesn't it? Someone have a 'guide to regen stacking' handy?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • As far as I know, the rule is that regen stacks until it hits lvl 3. You can have no higher than lvl3 regen at any one time
  • Xith said:
    boar stacks with everything doesn't it? Someone have a 'guide to regen stacking' handy?
    HELP REGEN
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited February 2013
    To add on what Sena said, Grook regen doesn't count towards the 3 levels of regen making grook pretty attractive if you have that flood staff.

Edit: Help regen doesn't state that last time I checked.

And also on that note i'd suggest sip ring over regen ring, but that's me.

• So cost-wise, a tree is pretty smart, or megalith, since their ink cost is roughly 800. So at 6000/cr, 100 cr would buy 750 trees.
    Of course you can buy or make cheaper inks, but you're probably also spending membership credits that are bound and have a different value anyway.

• XerXer Langley
    The point of a permanent tattoo isn't the cost - 750 trees would take forever to really use up, and not worth it IMO. The point is to have more tree uses in any one particular spar or duel. Convenience, and not dying because you forgot to check your tattoos that one time before a duel with a Serpent. While I don't use my tree tattoo *that* often, if I ever get into an extremely, long and boring spar, it might be the thing that saves me and kills them, which makes it worth it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • I'd rather have a perma shield against a serpent than a perma tree.
  • edited February 2013
    Haha, yeah with you being the class you know what is most irritating to it. Like I sorta hate buckawn arties.

I guess I'm down to megalith, boar or tree.
    Currently have no health regen ring, but do have a mana regen, sip ring and so on.

So final question: are regen tattoos more worth it or charge tattoos.
    Kind of obvious, I guess. And if I go Magi, I know boar will be more use in retardation and megalith more useful in keeping my sanity. Would probably consider a brazier even as Magi, but presence of mind and maybe some new prompt tags on my svo should keep me mindful of tattoo charges.

EDIT: The annoying thing about boar is you can never disable it if for some reason you wanted to. Has that been idea'd?
  • edited February 2013
    Mizik said:
    Moss won't save you. Tree/boar might. Shield will.
    This. When you touch your last tree and then get truelocked-save-paralysis, or touch your last shield and your mana gets sapped low or you're being pelted by arrows, tough luck... you're probably going to die. Whereas if you run out of moss in mid-fight, that's just a gradual difference of bleeding a bit more, and you can simply decide to leave the fight if you don't like those odds. I'd say the same for boar.

I don't have a permanent shield (yet), but I have two shield tattoos for that reason.
  • LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    edited February 2013
    If I got a ring of flying, how long would the balance cost be to "fly" in dragonform? Would it use the dragon's fly or the ring? I was thinking of getting it to escape better from gravehands.

Edit: Another way of phrasing this: would a ring of flying be useful to a sylvan/dragon? I have aerial and fly from dragonform, but aerial takes FOREVER to recover equilibrium.
  • elementalism sandling/aerial bypasses gravehands. other means of flying/burrowing do not. iirc

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• pm or message me in game lothien. you got lots to learn. you gotta represent Sylvans while I'm busy.

Party right, party hard,

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    There was a change not that long ago where gravehands were changed to not effect flying targets?
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• an attempt to use FLY in a room with gravehands has a chance to be stopped by the gravehands. Not talking about gravehands affecting people in the sky above them.

Party right, party hard,

Zeon said:
    pm or message me in game lothien. you got lots to learn. you gotta represent Sylvans while I'm busy.
    :<
  • edited February 2013
    Zeon said:

elementalism sandling/aerial bypasses gravehands. other means of flying/burrowing do not. iirc

What, for real?

And Piety??
  • XerXer Langley
    Eh? I would hope that a RoF bypasses piety. If it doesn't, it still has uses, but my desire to get one just dropped ten-fold >.>
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • NemutaurNemutaur Germany
    edited February 2013
    Xer said:
    Eh? I would hope that a RoF bypasses piety. If it doesn't, it still has uses, but my desire to get one just dropped ten-fold >.>
    Nope, can still get caught by piety when trying to fly.
  • XerXer Langley
    Urk! Well, that's good to know, haha. Thanks!
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • @Lothien: To answer the original question, it will use the ring of flying which is about twice as fast as Dragon flight (~2 seconds vs ~4 seconds). I don't know about ring of flying vs aerial, though if they use the same command I'd assume it will use the fastest method available.
  • edited February 2013
    Aerial is cast aerial, I believe, so fly would be different.
  • Aerial is CAST AERIAL and without quick-witted, the equilibrium was like four seconds.  I only know from playing with it as a demigod though, so my memory could be slightly hazy on the EQ time.
  • it's long but it bypasses things that have a chance to stop fly, so there are situations when aerial would be better than ring of flying and vice versa.

Party right, party hard,

• For those people saying artefacts are by their nature largely overshadowed by skills, a couple points.

One, lessons are easier to come by than credits. At the very least, with Elite, you get 5 lessons per rl day, which is 150 per rl month. Then, you have the occasional lesson sales, which are impacted by the Elite bonus. For 60 dollars you effectively get 2000 lessons, 2200 with Elite. 200 cr (220 with Elite) cost 70 dollars and yield 1200 lessons by binding them, 1320 with Elite. Sometimes there are promotions of 1 lesson per hour for a maximum 10 per day. Along with the 5 per rl day, clearly, the patient player will get way more for his buck by waiting for lesson sales and similar such things. I would argue that other than tri-trans it's not a good idea to blow a lot of credits on lessons.

Two, artefacts give you abilities skills cannot replicate. Sometimes a character's objectives are well-served by a particular artefact. For example, I like to give people blessings, tattoos, and other such boons. For me, the wand of portals made a huge difference because it allows me to come to the person needing the boons rather than forcing them to come to me.

I am not disputing that a roster of transed skills is greatly beneficial. I know, for example, that Avoidance is a better investment than lvl 3 Dex boots, though Avoidance costs less. I am simply saying that transing them all right away, no matter the cost, is not the most efficient use of your currency.
  • Most of the time when people are saying to learn skills rather than buy artefacts, it's because the person has pretty much zero lessons spent in skills. There's absolutely no point in buying artefacts that boost the effectiveness of abilities you're then not able to actually learn. Avoidance is a pretty sizeable survivability boost going from Inept to Transcendent, and Survival just has a ton of very useful abilities in it, so both are probably worth more than artefacts in a lot of cases.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN

Antonius said:
    Most of the time when people are saying to learn skills rather than buy artefacts, it's because the person has pretty much zero lessons spent in skills. There's absolutely no point in buying artefacts that boost the effectiveness of abilities you're then not able to actually learn. Avoidance is a pretty sizeable survivability boost going from Inept to Transcendent, and Survival just has a ton of very useful abilities in it, so both are probably worth more than artefacts in a lot of cases.
    No clotting means instant death vs blademasters. No Focus means being vlocked by Knights Blademasters and making affliction classes destroy you in seconds.

edited February 2013
    I'm looking for a whiz-bang fun artefact. I have 350 cr and, y'know, it's burning a hole in my pocket. I could always upgrade the bracelets, but those aren't very "fun". Suggestions? Saving up is an option too if an artie is a must-have.

*******************************[ Artefact List ]*******************************
      Item  Name                                    Originally                     
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     22700  an Aldar Diadem                         N/A
     44261  a blood pendant                         N/A
     47619  a Circlet of the Will                   N/A
     63266  a pair of Mayan Bracelets               N/A
     84348  a polished marble pipe                  N/A
    117030  a wyrmskin pack bearing the House arms  a wyrmskin pack
    125320  goggles of whitesight                   N/A
    148859  a ruby hydra                            a multi-headed water hydra
    164935  Gloves of Harvesting                    N/A
    186652  a Lasallian lyre                        N/A
    192346  an earring of Sinope                    N/A
    217645  an Yggdrasian splinter                  N/A