Honestly, what's the deal with gold grabbing?

Comments

• edited February 2015

Going by recent threads, a fair few people have a pretty high degree of automation (either scripts they made or got from others).  People very much shy from/take offense to the word "automation" but that does seem to be what a lot of them are doing (and it's legal, provided they remain semi-aware of what their char is doing and can react appropriately to admin/other players). 

Really, a lot of people even consider automation the gold standard of how people should be bashing.  There was a whole recent discussion that basically carried the message "if you're not autobashing, you're a n00b", and of course, people even have scripts on their phones so they can bash at work.  Those *really* seem like they require some automation, since you only have a tiny screen and are by definition, distracted.   

I think that attitude is actually a lot of why this thread was so hot button, as I've mentioned.  It's not the gold, it's the insistence that the line of acceptable behavior be pushed even more in favor of accommodating bot bashing. 

• Jules said:

Going by recent threads, a fair few people have a pretty high degree of automation (either scripts they made or got from others).  People very much shy from/take offense to the word "automation" but that does seem to be what a lot of them are doing (and it's legal, provided they remain semi-aware of what their char is doing and can react appropriately to admin/other players). 

Using triggers of any kind = automation. Then you're just talking about the degree of automation, not whether you're automating "playing" or not. 
  • I agree, I don't know why people take so much offense to the term itself (that's also why I always stress that it can be done "legally"). 
  • Sarapis said:
    Austere said:
    If you know so many people that auto hunt,  you should report them.  There is no excuse for hands off hunting.  Dor is one thing,  but if people are seriously auto scripting entire areas,  that's bad.  I still do not believe this problem is as rampant as some people let on.  Maybe it won't take a coding god,  but as someone who has released public scripts,  half of our player base couldn't code a trigger to smile if their life depended on it.  
    Few things make my day like catching a cheater in action and perma-shrubbing, so if you know people who are hands-off hunting while they do something else, by all means msg me or Tecton. Nobody will ever know who reported them, and believe me, it's very easy to catch once we start paying attention to that person.
    I love you so much right now.  Thanks,  boss
  • Jules said:
    I agree, I don't know why people take so much offense to the term itself (that's also why I always stress that it can be done "legally"). 
    Probably because most people know at some level that it's poor gamesmanship. It'd be entirely banned (and we'd shut down anyone selling automation packages) if it weren't for the fact that it's essentially impossible to get rid of in a text game. Best we can do is try to nail the most egregious examples and I'm sure we miss a lot of them too. It sucks, but it's just the nature of MUDs.
  • Jules said:
    Really, a lot of people even consider automation the gold standard of how people should be bashing.  There was a whole recent discussion that basically carried the message "if you're not autobashing, you're a n00b", and of course, people even have scripts on their phones so they can bash at work.
    That discussion was more along the lines of "if you're not bashing efficiently, you shouldn't complain about how slow it is", and you were pretty much the only person who ever suggested automation while everyone else was pointing out how automation was in no way important.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Sarapis said:
    Austere said:
    If you know so many people that auto hunt,  you should report them.  There is no excuse for hands off hunting.  Dor is one thing,  but if people are seriously auto scripting entire areas,  that's bad.  I still do not believe this problem is as rampant as some people let on.  Maybe it won't take a coding god,  but as someone who has released public scripts,  half of our player base couldn't code a trigger to smile if their life depended on it.  
    Few things make my day like catching a cheater in action and perma-shrubbing, so if you know people who are hands-off hunting while they do something else, by all means msg me or Tecton. Nobody will ever know who reported them, and believe me, it's very easy to catch once we start paying attention to that person.
    Have you considered offering a modest bounty? There's honor among thieves, but only so much.
  • edited February 2015
    Sarapis said:
    Jules said:
    I agree, I don't know why people take so much offense to the term itself (that's also why I always stress that it can be done "legally"). 
    Probably because most people know at some level that it's poor gamesmanship. It'd be entirely banned (and we'd shut down anyone selling automation packages) if it weren't for the fact that it's essentially impossible to get rid of in a text game. Best we can do is try to nail the most egregious examples and I'm sure we miss a lot of them too. It sucks, but it's just the nature of MUDs.

Just putting this out there, although I assume you're fully aware...

If you "fully banned" automation of any kind (using triggers of any kind), you wouldn't have a playerbase.  You'd also have somewhere close to zero people interested in combat, and would thus lose about 95% of your credit purchases as well.  Thus, automation is the reason the game exists, and I think you and a lot of the players in this and other threads would be well off being a little less negative about it.

It's also somewhat ironic that you just implemented several massive serverside automation systems, considering your stance on automation. (although it does show that you do understand that it is a cornerstone of your game)
  • edited February 2015
    Sena said:
    Jules said:
    Really, a lot of people even consider automation the gold standard of how people should be bashing.  There was a whole recent discussion that basically carried the message "if you're not autobashing, you're a n00b", and of course, people even have scripts on their phones so they can bash at work.
    That discussion was more along the lines of "if you're not bashing efficiently, you shouldn't complain about how slow it is", and you were pretty much the only person who ever suggested automation while everyone else was pointing out how automation was in no way important.

I heart you Sena, but I didn't see it that way.  It was more like, once the word "automation" came up in that conversation people very much took exception to the term itself, even with careful caveats (again, very sensitive to even the use of the term), and were anxious to emphasize the know-how of when things repop/when/where to hunt in set "circuits" as what matters most (and I'm sure it does, because for one, you need that information to make a good script I'm sure).  Admittedly, even if you are manual, that information is going to help.  But keeping track of precise times in multiple areas in a more manual way seems difficult, and even if you could keep track of all the times and when you needed to be where, it seems like you'd be much more likely to fall behind schedule as a more manual basher (like me).

Towards the beginning of the conversation people were emphasizing things like not wasting *any* balance recovery whatsoever and just generally being hyperefficient, which to me points very strongly towards some serious automation (although I suppose it's possible to some degree without). 

In short, it seems really clear to me from various recent conversations here and even in game (where people tend to be more frank about this topic, at least to some extent) that a lot of people have fairly sophisticated bashing scripts (I mean well beyond taking care of your curing/svo - because wow, that really would be painful not to have that), and this thread only drives that home further - because if it's difficult for me to come back and return your gold, and I didn't immediately realize I was in a room with someone else and grabbed their gold, it seems to strongly hint that I might be doing a lot automatically, and I say that because I've never in all my years had an issue with accidentally grabbing someone else's stuff! 

• edited February 2015
    Jules said:

Towards the beginning of the conversation people were emphasizing things like not wasting *any* balance recovery whatsoever and just generally being hyperefficient, which to me points very strongly towards some serious automation (although I suppose it's possible to some degree without. 

You can bash without wasting any balance using nothing more than a few simple in-game aliases.

SETALIAS j stand/dsl &tar

SETALIAS h j/queue add eqbal j/queue add eqbal j/queue add eqbal j/queue add eqbal j/queue add eqbal j

covers you for 6 attacks at a time (with zero loss to latency), which is more hits than most require at level 90+.  That's a 17% increase in bashing DPS for someone with a 1.5 second bashing attack and a  250ms latency, compared to a balance chasing trigger like SVO's do-repeat function (and a MASSIVE increase for people attacking manually on every balance).

SETALIAS r stand/clearqueue all/rsl &tar/get gold

can be used if they shield

queuing get gold and movement while off balance after killing something can easily allow you to queue up your attack on the next denizen without losing time to latency/movement, and is particularly easy in areas where the target name (undead, ogre, gnoll, etc) does not change.

Combined with an efficient bashing route, most people would probably double their bashing speed using this alone.

If you were spending 3 seconds between NPCs, and it takes you 5 hits on average to kill something, that's a 40% increase in DPS over the course of your route.

Better selection of bashing areas, respawn timing, and taking advantage of things like runes, lucky elixir, better stat selection, and so on can easily add another 25-50% gold/exp per time.

Nothing mentioned here requires (or even benefits from) a single trigger or other form of 'automation'. 

Triggering: clearqueue all/get gold

when you kill things just makes life a little easier, and there's absolutely no reason not to do this, particularly since it only fires when you kill something yourself.  There's also no reason not to trigger the swap to whatever command you use to handle shielding.  This leaves you with the task of target selection and preparing your move to the next room while your alias handles killing things (gives you 5-10 seconds to enter "e; target knight; h").

Now that you can WALK TO NPCs by ID name, this gets even easier, considering that they never change, and most of us bashers have killed the same NPCs literally hundreds, if not thousands of times.  All this requires is a list of NPC names for your route, and you can simply use another single-letter alias to target and walk to your next target.  I actually advised IRE not to allow WALK TO <denizenID> specifically to prevent autobashing, but as-so-far, it is still permitted (and therefore, encouraged).
  • edited February 2015

Killing 5 denizens using this method (with zero triggers involved), would require the following input from a player (which can of course be set to hotkeys for convenience):

[ in this example, 'v' just selects the next target in your route, and WALKS TO it. ]

bash uw; v; h; r; v; h; r; v; h; r; v; h; r; v; h; r; v; 
    This is 100% legal, 0% automated, and 100% efficient (and typically about 2-3 times faster than what the average basher achieves, with well-planned routes).

A lot of people see my gold or exp per hour and make accusations, but this is all I do, and in all reality, I probably bash faster than most auto-bashers.
  • Sure, but I'm pretty sure that people (probably a fair number of people) are using coded bashers that go far, far beyond what you're talking about.  It is what it is.  Sarapis is a smart guy and already knows (and has pretty much said that he knows). 

My issue with it is that it seems to be coloring people's attitudes towards a whole slew of things.  In this instance, it means they want behavior norms to be more friendly to the guy who somehow (while totally not being bot-like, at all) accidentally grabbed stuff in a room someone else was in, didn't notice it himself, was probably several rooms away by the time he got a tell about it, and had much the same attitude you seem to have about it when he did get the tell, which was "don't mess up my totally not automated hyperefficient bashing".  In the same vein, they'd like the prevailing attitude to be not so sympathetic to the guy who found all of that pretty annoying. 

• edited February 2015
    Andregor said:

You my friend, have balls. Either that or no brains. Not sure. But please, find a shred of respect. 

I don't understand where you're coming from.  I wouldn't be "afraid" to tell my ISP that if they dropped me to 100kB/s I'd cancel my service with them, nor would I hesitate to do so if they did.

I certainly wasn't being disrespectful either, I am quite certain that @Sarapis knows that PVP is what makes this game profitable (and therefore, able to exist for everyone else).  Without automation (curing systems, harvesting triggers, speed-walking, etc), Achaea would not only not be fun, but it would be unplayable.

• edited February 2015
    Ernam said:
    Andregor said:

You my friend, have balls. Either that or no brains. Not sure. But please, find a shred of respect. 

I don't understand where you're coming from.  I wouldn't be "afraid" to tell my ISP that if they dropped me to 100kB/s I'd cancel my service with them, nor would I hesitate to do so if they did.

I certainly wasn't being disrespectful either, I am quite certain that @Sarapis knows that PVP is what makes this game profitable (and therefore, able to exist for everyone else).  Without automation (curing systems, harvesting triggers, speed-walking, etc), Achaea would not only not be fun, but it would be unplayable.
    It's just how you say it bud. 90% of the time I agree with you, but the delivery. Ooof. That is why you get so much backlash on the forums.  :/
  • Jules said:

Sure, but I'm pretty sure that people (probably a fair number of people) are using coded bashers that go far, far beyond what you're talking about.  It is what it is.  Sarapis is a smart guy and already knows (and has pretty much said that he knows). 

If you suspect that someone is autobashing, then report them (or do what I do, and put an icewall in their route, and watch as they stand their for 20 minutes, and then also report them).

Sleep well knowing that you've negatively impacted someone else's life, at almost zero benefit to you or anyone else.  (not to jump to auto-basher's defense, just pointing out that someone "auto-bashing" doesn't actually impact you any more than someone who is manually bashing the same thing at the same time).

• No, you misunderstand.  Most people who are doing this *are* at least monitoring their character I think (they'd be silly not to), and I mostly have no desire to report them.  Just be less condescending/presumptuous towards guys like the OP (and me).  That's all I want from those players. 
  • Jules said:
    No, you misunderstand.  Most people who are doing this *are* at least monitoring their character I think (they'd be silly not to), and I mostly have no desire to report them.  Just be less condescending/presumptuous towards guys like the OP (and me).  That's all I want from those players. 

I make way too much money to be humble on video game forums.  I know I'd be more popular if I was, but I simply don't care.

edited February 2015
    You could slow down the balances to the point where automation and coding weren't really necessary, making the choices during combat more consequential. It's a pipe dream, I know - but maybe an increasingly byzantine combat system isn't the best, long-term. I don't know the industry very well.
  • Ernam said:
    Jules said:
    No, you misunderstand.  Most people who are doing this *are* at least monitoring their character I think (they'd be silly not to), and I mostly have no desire to report them.  Just be less condescending/presumptuous towards guys like the OP (and me).  That's all I want from those players. 

I make way too much money to be humble on video game forums.  I know I'd be more popular if I was, but I simply don't care.

Just do what I'm guessing Santar does, and what I do, although for different reasons than you two (i.e. study human behavior and copy it as if you were an alien).  Do you make too much money to not be a jerk?  Or even to pretend not to be a jerk?  This can be situationally useful at work too.  Being a jerk can be useful too (I need to work on more effective employment here, despite being capable enough of being a jerk). 
  • To literally portray an Achaea character, imagine a little dude bent halfway to the ground with a mountain of crap on his back, stoves, axes, anvils, buckets, vials flying everywhere, etc. If we didn't have some automation, we'd be roleplaying crippling lower back pain, and that's about as heroic as crippling diarrhea. Just sayin.'
  • Herenicus said:
    You could slow down the balances to the point where automation and coding weren't really necessary, making the choices during combat more consequential. It's a pipe dream, I know - but maybe an increasingly byzantine combat system isn't the best, long-term. I don't know the industry very well.

I dunno man, the complexity is what makes me play the game.  Can't speak for everyone else, but there are dozens, if not hundreds, of MMO options out there, and the draw of Achaea for me is the depth of combat theory (still learning things after a decade of playing) and coding challenges (many of which are simply for convenience, not actual improvements to combat potential).

IRE's working their tails off to keep things simple for new players while keeping the core theory just as complex and interesting, at the same time.  It's really hard to please both new players and veterans at the same time, but I think their current direction is just fine.

Going in the direction you're suggesting (dramatic simplification) would make the game far less interesting and challenging, and therefore, less fun.  In all likelihood, I'd probably just go play League or do something useful like learn Korean (been on my back burner for like a year now).

• Ernam said:
    Andregor said:

What? You may not like to play without triggers but some people do. I did just fine without any of the things you mentioned and never used a curing system until serverside. The only thing I would agree with is that you can't reasonably pvp without a system ever since it became the norm, but it was more fun (for me) before the standard became about pointing your system at your opponent's system and saying go.
  • I just assumed that the admins didn't care too much about autoing. It seems like they have a pretty hands off approach to autoing as far as I've seen. I've noticed people completely AFKing various forms of gold making activities, specifically fishing. Even the people that are totally shameless and do it for 5-10 hours at a time every single day never get caught. From that I pretty much concluded that the admins don't care.

Please have a brave Celani check the boats a few times on his or her way to demigod. 
  • Santar said:
    I just assumed that the admins didn't care too much about autoing. It seems like they have a pretty hands off approach to autoing as far as I've seen. I've noticed people completely AFKing various forms of gold making activities, specifically fishing. Even the people that are totally shameless and do it for 5-10 hours at a time every single day never get caught. From that I pretty much concluded that the admins don't care.

I was kinda annoyed both times admins popped in to check on me while bashing (although in their defense, I usually bash like 8 hours at a time, and near-continously), because I wasn't auto-bashing, but at that exact same time, at least two people had been auto-forging (literally told me so in tells) for 4-5 hours, and specifically added rune triggers for me so that they could keep me runed 24/7 without having to look at their computer.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't hurt anyone.  As far as I can tell, the rules are just there so that the serious offenders can be regulated.  I know the official stance is "zero tolerance", but either there's some pretty obvious leniency on this, be it intentional, or a lack of manpower.
  • edited February 2015
    Kez said:
    Ernam said:
    Andregor said:

What? You may not like to play without triggers but some people do. I did just fine without any of the things you mentioned and never used a curing system until serverside. The only thing I would agree with is that you can't reasonably pvp without a system ever since it became the norm, but it was more fun (for me) before the standard became about pointing your system at your opponent's system and saying go.
    I so would not play if I couldn't get into a fight with a mob and trigger their attacks to auto-cure their annoying abilities. I'd have to give up watching Orphan Black while I bash endlessly...

And oh god, having to type 'sip health' every time I get hurt? Nooooo. The power of christ compels thee! 

I like participating  :)

also, @Herenicus that is called Midkemia Online.

Welcome to the forums, @Nizana. You will fit right in.
  • That was my first silly post.. I think. Non-serious, in any case. I'll try to be more point-driven but.. well.. this thread has been all over the place and it is hard.

• Nizana said:
    That was my first silly post.. I think. Non-serious, in any case. I'll try to be more point-driven but.. well.. this thread has been all over the place and it is hard.
    It was derailed from the OP on, don't feel bad.  It was a rant about something insignificant, which is pretty much like tossing a t-bone to a pack of hungry dogs, 'round here.