What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I gave up on combat after coming back dormant (multiple times) and found that things just progressed far and beyond what I could manage. Frankly between my lousy connection, the generally frustrating nature of the PK/factional conflict scene (it was toxic when I was involved, and still pretty damn murky as a spectator), and the steep learning curve, I'm not even sorry that I gave it up completely.

Combat these days *is* faster, it's because coded combat has made it faster. Human reflexes and decision was part of what ensured it was at a reasonable pace. Honestly you could slow everything down by one to half a second to encourage people to dip their toes in manually, but at the end of the day, if the option to automate is there, they'll prefer that.

I get that pro-scripted peeps are going to say that there's just as much hard work being put into a system. And I have to acknowledge that. But a script that's broken or gone buggy isn't really the same as a person who goes into it realising they can't win it all because of any number of external and internal factors.

• For a Garden perspective, we don't like automation, at all. But we don't have rules against it for combat because it's not realistically something we can police. Having rules that you cannot police or enforce isn't a good use of anyone's time.

We do have blanket automation rules, and if someone is found to be abusing these (combat counts too) then we will step in.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Nicola said:
    We do have blanket automation rules...
    But I like my blanket automation - up when cold, down when hot :(

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Yeah I mean the conversation is all well and good, but at the end of the day that ship has sailed. Not much that can be done to police what or how a decision is made on the player end.

I agree with Ellodin and Iakimen. At some point automation devalues the skill and time investment that others have made. Then again arguments could be made that things like the curing thread also do that, so I see why people say it’s a slippery slope. Either way, while I’m glad that the barrier of entry is lower, it’s also frustrating to fight people that can carry on full conversations mid fight. Seeing people use says while continuing to attack is annoying to me.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • On the topic of automation in combat.

Combat is fast, and I understand automating parts. As DW, I automate reaping, and then manual the choices behind that. But it's frustrating to learn from people who have been so automated that they can't explain what theyre doing. I tried getting help with certain afflictions from a serpent, and some of the afflictions I wanted, they couldn't give me without 'going through their stack' which included voyria and the like. Equally frustrating is when I ask a question about aff stacking/curing and get ''well you really need an aff tracker...."

If automation is so bad that you can't just dstab me once, with curing off, to test things, then how are people like me, with no intention of coding an offense (outside of aliases and simple triggers) supposed to learn theory and such? I'm slowly understanding how things work, but when any learning I try to do is gated behind people hitting their win button, it gets frustrating.
  • Rackham said:
    Sounds like you're trying to get help from the wrong people, tbqh. Anyone who even remotely knows how to fight, won't need to "show you how it's done" in order to explain it.

• Pyori said:
    Rackham said:
    Sounds like you're trying to get help from the wrong people, tbqh. Anyone who even remotely knows how to fight, won't need to "show you how it's done" in order to explain it.
    I'm pretty dumb. And sometimes I need to see things happen to understand what's going on. In another thread I mentioned taking an hour to understand limb damage. 

Turning curing off and going through step by step helps when I barely understand common, general combat mechanics/practices 
  • Israyhl said:
    So while I prefer to stick away from automation, I am going to play devil's advocate for a moment on a few things in regards to automation. 

Combat, in general, has sped up tremendously. With full kill routes taking sub 20 seconds (in some cases less than 15), with new afflictions sneaking in that require split-second decisions for curing, and a drive for faster balance times, it is beyond hard to keep up with everything in combat, even for the trained eye. I still reel and just how fast information is coming in, my brain continuously asking me, "Was it all really this fast back when we pked more in the early 2000s?" The argument against an automated offense is starting to sound like the same argument I used to hear against the games having built-in curing systems: "Coding yourself taught you how to heal yourself." "No one is learning how to defend themselves or how cures work together if you just hand them a curing system." "It lowers the bar for combat entry and makes the work of those who had to start from scratch less valuable." All of those arguments were seen as asinine, and all of IRE instituted SOME level of serverside curing, rather than relying on a third-party system. And even AFTER the serverside went in, many of us STILL rely on assistance with priorities and switching and parrying because it is a LOT of information to track.  

With those who choose to build their own automation, I don't see them entering into the combat scene as less knowdegable about their class. They had to know which affs/attacks followed ones better, how to use the logic properly, and how to set up the system in a way to apply effective logic to the problem of getting from kill route start to kill route end. The argument of speed is less of an argument these days, too, as queueing used properly is as fast as a system sending a command at balance return. The only difference is the thought time that goes into making a proper decision, which does often translate less into 'human error' in the middle of combat, such as hitting a wrong key, typing the wrong alias, smashing the buttons, all of those things. But honestly, the only time I find human error 'fun' or a true victory is when they didn't use their class effectively, and if they weren't using their class effectively manually, they won't be using it effectively autonomously either. 

Last, on being given someone else's offense. I've fought people plenty of times who were given an offensive. They have one route, usually, and they don't know how it works or why it works and after a few rounds, any combatant worth their salt will find a linch pin and pull it. Sure, it does give that individual an ability to rise to mid-tier, but that's a big pool. I know I have -learned- from being given someone else's offensive to look through and play with in the past. I couldn't figure out a class, someone shared their code, and it started to piece together as I couldn't make heads or tails of the logic. Or, as the case may be, someone can't code in lua worth shit or at all! And then we return to the argument of, "Should coding ability be a requirement to engage in the game." 

I honestly think what would be more effective for the game would not be removing automation or attempting to remove it, but slowing down combat overall. Stop thinking in 1.5s or 2.0s or 1.9s terms, and pull it back a bit. Not a snail's pace, but not so fast that I can go full to dead in 10 seconds and be wondering what happened because the text just scrolled too fast and I haven't coloured/echoed/subbed everything. 

TL;DR: Automation is not bad, the argument against automated anything is a slippery slope into coder vs non-coder, let's consider slowing shit down overall so we're not trying to fit an entire duel in 30 seconds. 

Okay, but lots of people out there are manualing <2s balances, it's not something that's needed. If it's difficult for people, good! Difficulty is a good thing to have in a game, but even then I'd say that yeah we could slow the game. The point is that it doesn't justify automation.

If someone 'learned their class' by coding an offence for it, you've still not addressed the bulk of Ellodin's post. Knowledge is generally only a fraction of what it takes to do well at a sport/game, and people who automate like to pretend it's the entire whole. You can know every single hero in dota, but it doesn't help if you can't last hit, you can know every gun in cs and their details but it doesn't help if you can't aim. Automation in achaea is installing an aim-bot and then justifying it because you learned the gun details so that's all you should be required to have.
  • edited May 2018
    Rackham said:
    Pyori said:
    Rackham said:
    I'm pretty dumb. And sometimes I need to see things happen to understand what's going on. In another thread I mentioned taking an hour to understand limb damage. 

Turning curing off and going through step by step helps when I barely understand common, general combat mechanics/practices 
    Again, it sounds like you're talking to people who're just generally bad at explaining things. I've spoken to you a bunch, and I've spoken to people who (at first) knew next to nothing about combat, barring what each affliction did. (back during Sentinel house days, when they had mandatory, progressively-harder, combat tests!)

You shouldn't need to hit someone, in order to explain how things work.

• edited May 2018
    The difference between those that have been pking for years so know it in and out and know strengths and weaknesses by heart, and those who have not is huge.  Like vastly huge.  Without coding some to even the playing field those people wouldn't even be a threat.  They'd get stomped every. Single. Time.  
    I for instance take a long time to learn the ins and outs of my classes.  To make sure i undersfand it even if im going to code a lot.  The code augments that because I have long ago come to terms that I am not capable of making decisions and remembering lots of aliases mid combat when I already have to deal with movement, parrying, targeting limbs, flying, tentacling, room hinder, etc.  If I couldn't use software to intelligently follow the flow of combat and help me make decisions, I would never ever be competitive even a little bit.  Frankly I would have quit playing a long time ago. It is because of the ability to code and make up for my shortcomings that I am still here.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • edited May 2018
    You say that but Iakimen is relatively new to the game and has been beating top tier people for a long time. Same with Atalkez.

People with worse skills should be getting stomped. If they want to stop getting stomped, they can get good like the aforementioned. You're just making excuses because you don't want to lose, at this point.
  • Sounds like a lot of people lauding automation are acting really entitled. No, you do not deserve a level playing field, and you do not deserve to win. You need to earn those things by actually playing, or just accept your lot. Would love to see all automation get trashed
  • This convo didn't take half as long as it usually does, for it to turn unnecessarily aggressive.

• If the truth is aggressive, there's the door, snowflake
  • I automate, I jump the target, curing heals me for a while, then I auto pray.

@Aegoth This is the automater that is a house leader!
  • I'd like to see you play an aff class without automating, Aegoth. You should try! 

• Cooper said:
    I'd like to see you play an aff class without automating, Aegoth. You should try! 
    I do! I'm awful but I do! 
  • edited May 2018
    Aegoth said:
    If the truth is aggressive, there's the door, snowflake
    I'm sorry, who was the one that was practically begging me to modify and make their stormhammer scripts better? So that you could just spam the alias willy-nilly and kill people in raids? Oh, that was you wasn't it?

Strange how you're all against automation, if it doesn't help you specifically.

By the way you can do it yourself. I'm far too entitled to help.

• Asking once and paying credits isn't begging, interestingly enough. And while I do have one auto script (which doesn't work half the time anyway bc of gmcp souls), I am against its wholesale use for the reasons that Kiet, Iakimen, and Rom clearly stated. If you need automation to kill people, you're just bad, and should probably not play combat at all. That's the heart of it
  • Cooper said:
    I'd like to see you play an aff class without automating, Aegoth. You should try! 
    I already kick your ass with manual magi. No need :)
  • edited May 2018
    Aegoth said:
    Asking once and paying credits isn't begging, interestingly enough. And while I do have one auto script (which doesn't work half the time anyway bc of gmcp souls), I am against its wholesale use for the reasons that Kiet, Iakimen, and Rom clearly stated. If you need automation to kill people, you're just bad, and should probably not play combat at all. That's the heart of it
    Correct. Not paying credits, and asking multiple times over the span of a couple of weeks is though.

Also if you were against it, you wouldn't have given it out. And I wouldn't have seen people talking about it on Discord, and how it works.

Also it does detect souls. Or are you forgetting the part about where that got fixed? Or are you forgetting the part where I'm the one who wrote it for you in the first place? Lols.

• edited May 2018
    Good thing I never did any of those things, then. Well, except for give my magi system to people. But semantics..
  • Aegoth said:
    Cooper said:
    I already kick your ass with manual magi. No need :)
    Magi isn't an aff class, and someone being able to beat me is pretty meaningless.

I'd truly like to see you compete as a class that isn't prep, especially with your comment "If you need automation to kill people, you're just bad, and should probably not play combat at all."

You do great as Magi, but pretty much 0 real thought goes into those attacks. Try Apostate, Bard, Shaman, etc. If you're as good as you lead people to believe it should be simple for you! 

• edited May 2018
    If you think 0 thought goes into prep classes, idk what to say. Sure, aff classes are complex, but to say that prep is ezmode is very misleading.

well, except dragon
  • Magi is no harder than Dragon.

Aegoth said:
    Good thing I never did any of those things, then.
    Definitely not done any of those things.

• edited May 2018
    Oh shit, when did polite requests become pestering? Sign of the times. And creative use of cherrypicking comments
  • Pester: To repeatedly ask and request things, to the point that it may (or may not) become annoying to the person. Check.

Also it's not really cherry-picking. It's just showing the exact things you said you didn't do. Cherry-picking requires taking a select few (often out of context) comments, whereas all of these were the very first- or within the first 60 seconds of the first- things you said to me on those days.

Cherry-picking would be you taking that 'pestering' word from all others, and basing your entire reply around that instead. :)