What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• @Rom there are a bunch of people that go full auto these days. It's not really 'almost nobody' anymore.
  • RomRom
    edited May 2018
    Shirszae said:
    Is it the only text game, too?
    Of course, but there are plenty of games where you can code a bot or hotkey for mechanical advantages, such as rotation botting in World of Warcraft or combo hotkeys in a fighting game.
    Armali said:
    @Rom there are a bunch of people that go full auto these days. It's not really 'almost nobody' anymore.
    That's fair, there's really no way to know for sure other than hearsay.
    Torinn said:
    I like it because it's fun to code.  But I'm also a code monkey so..
    That's a good reason to do it, it is very rewarding and fun for many people - I hear that a lot.
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • My definition of full automation comes from time spent in other IRE games, too. Aetolia has vastly different rules when it comes to automation and during my tenure there, met plenty of people who could hit a key to do different things, from bashing, to questing, to fighting. I still remember an age ago reviewing logs from Aetolia's forums of someone blatantly bragging about afk-killing people due to his AI system (although I never verified if it was a true log or a shits-and-giggles log). 

Lua changed the platform for text games, especially Mudlet. Back when Zmud was the most used client, attempting to code a full, automated offensive in it was a surefire way for it to completely lock up and for you to die. It just could not process that much or that quickly. As clients evolved and the remaining popular clients (MUSH, Cmud, Mudlet) all support Lua, the speed of scripting increased dramatically, allowing for more and more automation. 

I used my personal definitions in automation and semi-automation, my definitions within the context of someone who prefers to avoid automation as often as possible. Perhaps someone who uses more automation (@Vaniel maybe?) could chime in with their personal definition(s)?
  • Cailin said:
    Um... yeah... can we not do this. It's been enough of a headache dealing with the drama in game without bringing it to forums too.

Please pass the Marisella.
    Just trying to set the record straight since Ive heard some out-there rumors.  OOC I really dont care. People have fits and switch factions all the time.  IC I enjoyed specifically targetting her when we raided Hashan.

• Using Israyhl's definitions, I'm "semi-auto". I send an alias, it updates the command sent to the game by parsing the latest cures/afflictions to update venoms/limbs. I send that alias every balance to ensure I get the most up-to-date information to parse. I consider myself nearly fully auto, also. If there are really people that do the "press F1 and go get a cup of joe while my system fights/runs/chases/kills" I'd be more impressed than anything because that is a shiiiit ton of code.
  • edited May 2018
    Solnir said:
    Using Israyhl's definitions, I'm "semi-auto". I send an alias, it updates the command sent to the game by parsing the latest cures/afflictions to update venoms/limbs. I send that alias every balance to ensure I get the most up-to-date information to parse. I consider myself nearly fully auto, also. If there are really people that do the "press F1 and go get a cup of joe while my system fights/runs/chases/kills" I'd be more impressed than anything because that is a shiiiit ton of code.

Hmm, It's not "press f1 and walk away", it's "repeatedly press the button that sends in the next command based on what the system has decided to use".

It is fairly common nowadays, especially with things like A.K being opened to the public. Combat in Achaea has simply evolved to this point where fighting scripts are not only encouraged but expected. You can definitely choose to not use such coded features, but you are essentially at a handicap.
  • edited May 2018
    that definition of 'semi-auto' is definitely auto imo, and every manual fighter would consider as such. the only reason to even call that 'semi' auto is to somehow label it as less 'bad' than full auto.

the minute everyone is full  (or 'semi') auto is the minute this game becomes completely worthless to fight in, tbh. fighting autobots is the most boring thing in the world beyond finding illusions that break their offense (which is an interesting nostalgia trip to back when illusions broke curing lol).

already there's too many groups that just run around auto targeting and auto deciding how to attack, and if it were somehow banned the game would be 200% more fun. of course what's funny to me is when these groups lose to groups with a lot less automation lol
  • I'm just kinda, spam aliases that I wrote with bad logic and hope they eventually drop dead.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Exactly. Sometimes, I just randomly poke shit on my keyboard. Broke some guy's head doing that one time, too!
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• With everything going on there is no way for the vast majority of us to keep up and then also decide what to use at a given time.  People who do that well are savants in my mind.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • why do you think that people that can't decide as well deserve to do as well (though obv realistically they won't do as well if they only rely on auto) as people that can?
  • Semi-automated would be still making a decent amount of decisions yourself. If you as a knight, for example, are only deciding what limb to hit and you have scripts saying when to raze, what venoms to pick etc... then you are automated.

If as a Serpent you're only deciding on snapping/suggesting affs, then you're automated. If as a Priest you're only deciding when to sap/absolve, then you're automated.

Semi-automated would be, for example... As a Depthswalker: you decide what instills to use, when to raze, when to preempt. If as a depthswalker, your only 'automation' is venom choices, then that would be semi-automated. Although not the most stellar of examples since instills might as well be automating themselves.
    ------------------
    Kiet said:
    why do you think that people that can't decide as well deserve to do as well (though obv realistically they won't do as well if they only rely on auto) as people that can?
    This isn't WoW or DotA where scripting to help you do better is against ToS. Your comment is also incorrect. Case in point: A number of people in Ashtan. If someone is good enough at coding, they very much can do as well as (and significantly better than, in some cases) someone who manuals. If you're relying on other people's code, then that's another argument entirely.

• edited May 2018
    Something being against ToS or not is irrelevant, just like legality doesn't imply morality in other areas in life.

And yeah by 'only rely on auto' I mean they just have a script to do their offense and little knowledge beyond that. Obv if you auto and have half a clue you'll do better than a manual  with 3/4 a clue.

You can always automate further though, and eventually we'll be fighting auto tumblers and auto chasers and the pk will be pointless except to a couple of nerds who outnerd the average nerd. Automation is a crutch for people to do better than they deserve, and it's one of the reasons the game can't ever really be fully competitive anymore.
  • Kiet said:
    eventually we'll be fighting auto tumblers and auto chasers
    Not gonna weigh in on the rest of this but what makes you think that people don't already do this? By and large the logic for it would in general be far easier than many things I've seen coded for IRE muds. 

Dunn tells you, "I hate you."
    (Party): You say, "Bad plan coming right up."
  • edited May 2018
    Kiet said:
    Something being against ToS or not is irrelevant, just like legality doesn't imply morality in other areas in life.

And yeah by 'only rely on auto' I mean they just have a script to do their offense and little knowledge beyond that. You can always automate further though, and eventually we'll be fighting auto tumblers and auto chasers and the pk will be pointless except to a couple of nerds who outnerd the average nerd.
    It's not, though? You're saying why should they be allowed to, my reply was akin to: Why shouldn't they be able to, if coding is something they're good at? There's many more factors to consider than just "git gud" when it comes to "not being able to" you know.

I think the only way PK devolves into that, is if Achaea gets dumbed down to be like Aetolia where you can see everything that someone cures. As well as knowing precisely how much limb damage you're doing to a target, and precise times of when it's getting cured by salves etc. What's unfun for you, might be a lot of fun for someone else, though. Iakimen does pretty well vs people who're "full auto" and afaik he doesn't do that. Just like there's people in Aetolia who manual vs the "full auto" crowd, and still do very well for themselves.

• edited May 2018
    Cyr said:
    Kiet said:
    Not gonna weigh in on the rest of this but what makes you think that people don't already do this? By and large the logic for it would in general be far easier than many things I've seen coded for IRE muds. 
    We already have auto chasers but that I've seen most people don't have an automatic toggle to stop offense and tumble predicting something.

Pyori said:
    Kiet said:

And yeah by 'only rely on auto' I mean they just have a script to do their offense and little knowledge beyond that. You can always automate further though, and eventually we'll be fighting auto tumblers and auto chasers and the pk will be pointless except to a couple of nerds who outnerd the average nerd.
    It's not, though? You're saying why should they be allowed to, my reply was akin to: Why shouldn't they be able to, if coding is something they're good at? There's many more factors to consider than just "git gud" when it comes to "not being able to" you know.

I think the only way PK devolves into that, is if Achaea gets dumbed down to be like Aetolia where you can see everything that someone cures. As well as knowing precisely how much limb damage you're doing to a target, and precise times of when it's getting cured by salves etc. What's unfun for you, might be a lot of fun for someone else, though. Iakimen does pretty well vs people who're "full auto" and afaik he doesn't do that. Just like there's people in Aetolia who manual vs the "full auto" crowd, and still do very well for themselves.
    Yeah some people find it fun to watch paint dry but you don't see that as a mainstream  hobby. There's a reason most games don't allow automation to overtake player skill, it's uninteresting except to a very small % of people who, if they really wanted a coding challenge, could just visit a few dozen sites that have actually complex coding problems for you to solve.

Lots of manual people do well vs full auto, but a lot of them hate full auto just the same (I know Iaki does)

• edited May 2018
    Kiet said:
    Cyr said:
    Kiet said:
    We already have auto chasers but that I've seen most people don't have an automatic toggle to stop offense and tumble predicting something.
    I had something like this in Lusternia, just for shits and giggles. Worked hilariously well, but Lusternia's combat is also setup vastly different. I imagine it'd take a lot more work to be similarly effective in Achaea.

In Achaea I also think it'd be a lot easier to abuse, though. Probably not a smart thing to have, tbqh. But I could see it screwing up a lot of people, I mean there's still people who think having a torso tracker completely shuts down disembowel lol. Or that vivisect is impossible to pull off vs certain people, when in actuality both cases are just people who don't wanna change up how they fight vs those people.

• Lots of people auto. I prefer not to. Neither way is more correct, the point is you're having fun. If auto means more players involved in combat I'm all for it. Auto offense has weaknesses too
  • Auto offense hasn't really resulted in a greater amount of people involved in combat from my personal experience, tbh, and has on the other hand lost us the interest of a fair few combatants or potential combatants. Whether it's a net gain or loss is probably impossible to really verify.
  • im going to chime in here. I guess you could say i semi auto???? when playing magi i manual my limb strikes and auto the golem. in monk its full manual cause i mean....its monk. not stick monk i dont do that. My occie chases for me and handles it fairly simple offence on its own. i tell it when to fool. sun. rixil, hangedman utter truename,, attend, unnameble force a command what command to force and prio swap. basically i do everything that isnt the unravel route on my own. so afflicting cadmus hectate whisperingmadness enlighten and unravel does it when it can. except i tell it to try and keep clumsiness or lethargy on a toggle. haven't figured out an easy way to handle parry yet so not even parrying yet. 

This is what i consider bare minimum automation. anymore than this an i wouldnt even feel like i was playing the game to be honest. The flip side of that is im just not physically capable of doing all this stuff on my own anymore . I have to use voice to text to talk to people in a reasonable amount of time. so i wouldnt even be able to participate in combat with anything less than what i have now. Now back in the day woulda been easy to do for me but sadly im stuck with the body i have now. atleast until robot limbs. (come on science) But ive always played achaea for the combat more than anything. 

So my point. a couple years ago i would have been in the automation is bad crowd. In fact i was in that camp. So i guess you could say ive been humbled a bit. I dont think low level automation is that big a deal. Im not doing any better in pk now than i was a couple years ago. It didnt magically make me the terminator. If anything its made me worse. example, Other day i was in the arena with iakimen trying to figure out how to go about the occie vs alchelmist matchup. He got my humors high enough to hit me with impatience slickness asthma and anorexia all at once. So the proper way to defend here would either to be throw fool or hangedman. but because my system sent its next attack before i was able to request a fool for the next balance it decided to hit iakimen. It made that decision in .2 seconds. if i was manual i would had atleast 2 seconds to fling a fool tarot and not die. Now obviously you could code out your human error a bit more but situations like these happen all the time and accounting for all of them in a system while also making sure it cant be tricked just isnt gonna happen. at the end of the day you the human have to make decisions or your just gonna be the strongest midbie combatant. 

in closing i dont think its bad for the game so much anymore. If anything its the only reason i still play. An i think its impossible to make a system that going to compete at top tier all on its own. Which if your doing combat should be your goal else why are you doing it at all. Also people just assume those that beat them are automating. someone mentioned to me that i automated DW.....if you consider razing shield for you is automation then i guess i was. I say dont judge to harshly. If you lose to someone it's cause your not good enough to beat them yet. Not cause of how they did combat. Dont make excuses just improve and get results. 
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • I used to be full manual around a year ago. Was a decent combatant, nothing to write home about. Am full auto offence now (manual moving/running/chasing/snapping/etc) and am still a decent combatant, nothing to write home about. Unless you're literally just stealing someone else's code and not learning anything but "okay, replace weapon123456 with weapon654321 and hit F1", having an automated offence doesn't make you better. It just makes it easier to type, for me. 
    For a DW example, I had aliases like deg/mad/ret/etc for instills, and reapc/reapk/reapv/etc for venom reaps. Once I went auto, I had deg/mad/ret/etc still, but just one reap alias and an aff tracker that chose the venom. I still chose the venom order in the script, but now just had to remember less aliases. I personally don't feel like that gives some extreme advantage to automation, since it's still my mind behind the code.
  • edited May 2018
    You're deluding yourself if you say that taking away decisions is just 'removing typing' rather than enormously simplifying combat by making it easier on your brain to keep up.

A big part of combat, or any competitive game, is that your brain can only think about so many things at once. Sometimes you get hit by things that are obvious because you were made to focus on something else--automation removes that entirely.
  • So while I prefer to stick away from automation, I am going to play devil's advocate for a moment on a few things in regards to automation. 

Combat, in general, has sped up tremendously. With full kill routes taking sub 20 seconds (in some cases less than 15), with new afflictions sneaking in that require split-second decisions for curing, and a drive for faster balance times, it is beyond hard to keep up with everything in combat, even for the trained eye. I still reel and just how fast information is coming in, my brain continuously asking me, "Was it all really this fast back when we pked more in the early 2000s?" The argument against an automated offense is starting to sound like the same argument I used to hear against the games having built-in curing systems: "Coding yourself taught you how to heal yourself." "No one is learning how to defend themselves or how cures work together if you just hand them a curing system." "It lowers the bar for combat entry and makes the work of those who had to start from scratch less valuable." All of those arguments were seen as asinine, and all of IRE instituted SOME level of serverside curing, rather than relying on a third-party system. And even AFTER the serverside went in, many of us STILL rely on assistance with priorities and switching and parrying because it is a LOT of information to track.  

With those who choose to build their own automation, I don't see them entering into the combat scene as less knowdegable about their class. They had to know which affs/attacks followed ones better, how to use the logic properly, and how to set up the system in a way to apply effective logic to the problem of getting from kill route start to kill route end. The argument of speed is less of an argument these days, too, as queueing used properly is as fast as a system sending a command at balance return. The only difference is the thought time that goes into making a proper decision, which does often translate less into 'human error' in the middle of combat, such as hitting a wrong key, typing the wrong alias, smashing the buttons, all of those things. But honestly, the only time I find human error 'fun' or a true victory is when they didn't use their class effectively, and if they weren't using their class effectively manually, they won't be using it effectively autonomously either. 

Last, on being given someone else's offense. I've fought people plenty of times who were given an offensive. They have one route, usually, and they don't know how it works or why it works and after a few rounds, any combatant worth their salt will find a linch pin and pull it. Sure, it does give that individual an ability to rise to mid-tier, but that's a big pool. I know I have -learned- from being given someone else's offensive to look through and play with in the past. I couldn't figure out a class, someone shared their code, and it started to piece together as I couldn't make heads or tails of the logic. Or, as the case may be, someone can't code in lua worth shit or at all! And then we return to the argument of, "Should coding ability be a requirement to engage in the game." 

I honestly think what would be more effective for the game would not be removing automation or attempting to remove it, but slowing down combat overall. Stop thinking in 1.5s or 2.0s or 1.9s terms, and pull it back a bit. Not a snail's pace, but not so fast that I can go full to dead in 10 seconds and be wondering what happened because the text just scrolled too fast and I haven't coloured/echoed/subbed everything. 

TL;DR: Automation is not bad, the argument against automated anything is a slippery slope into coder vs non-coder, let's consider slowing shit down overall so we're not trying to fit an entire duel in 30 seconds. 

• I guess I just don't care if people aren't striving for excellence. My point was that some people are okay with "good enough" so that they can contribute to group combat and I find automation fine there. 

If we're talking about rate of improvement, manual obviously outclasses auto because of flexibility and adaptability of decision making and understanding combat on a deeper level.
  • edited May 2018
    Combat is much faster.  If you say that code assisted combat is bad, you should get rid of all those nice triggers that lets you know when to do stuff  :p
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • who even needs automation. dragoncurse target sensitivity 1 / dragonroar target is everything you need

(also a pocket DW for room hinder but w/e)
     <3