House Renaissance

Comments

• I think this just sees the basic organizing unit of relationships become the city - at least I hope that's the case. Mhaldor is particularly well suited to this, I think.

Whatever happens, I'm excited. We get to be in on the ground floor of creating a new house and a new legacy, Mhaldor has a ton of really awesome CR3-CR4 people right now that are up and coming and can make a huge impact (in addition to a deep bench of CR6/Sartai leaders who are nonetheless not suffocating in their grip on power), and we've been riding some recent military and political successes. We can really parlay that into a cool near-term future, I think.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    If they no longer serve an organizing purpose, I don't see why we'd fret about 'em at all. We could save ourselves the effort required to maintain vestigial links between the past and Pure Mhaldor. 
  • edited October 2014
    Damn these houses sound nice.
    When I heard word before that they might be doing a more combat-leaning house, and a more RP-leaning house, I was actually pretty happy. Unfortunately, I've spoken to a lot of novices in Mhaldor who felt like they weren't allowed to get into a lot of combat in Congregation simply because they read Maldaathi as some sort of army-based house.

Time will tell, but Mhaldor is separated pretty damn well between coms and non-coms IMO. The non-coms are extremely dedicated to making great roleplay for everyone else, and the coms tend to enjoy being at odds with most cities, (more combat). I don't think it hurts to be separated by house. It's not like houses determine in-city relationships (most of the time).

Save a badass title for me.  Kudos to those who spent all of this time working on the houses, (across all cities, of course).

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    edited October 2014
    From what I am hearing, there will be more for people who want the specific roleplays offered from before. It's just going to be more flexible now. Also, I like having coms and non coms being able to interact closer, with more options on their RP. We also have combatants that are pretty much into some RP stuff, so there's that. I think the citizenry's diverse enough to play with the new houses and it would certainly unify us more when pker/nonpker distinctions are blurred compared to the past.

EDIT: there were valid points posted here that I'm hoping to hear ICly. Mhaldorian leaders are receptive so let's discuss it there too. I haven't made my opinions public yet but that's because I'm still waiting for more info like most people.
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

Will the Houses break down as vaguely Adikoi and Shayatin, by way of culture and focus? How useful is that shorthand? 
  • Roughly, but not exactly.

edited November 2014
    I don't think it's unfair or artificial to say that people frequently have areas of primary focus and benefit from collaborating. I would be interested to know whether players in Targossas or Cyrene feel that organizing by focus is working out as hoped, or if it is confining as anticipated by @Terra‌

The point may be moot. Houses based on play style or area of primary focus (combat or non-combat) made sense when I thought instruction in these areas remained the function of the new Houses as they were (or were supposed to be) in the old. If Mhaldor is now occupying the field, such a division is pointless.

Now, I have it from a founder that the Insidium will focus on 1v1 combat whereas the Legates will focus on group combat. That strikes me as problematic for the same reason that dividing up ritualists, lore buffs, explorers, and theologians is problematic. The solution could be to have Mhaldor occupy instruction and advancement in these fields, too. 

While it saves us from duplication or division, shifting the work of government to Mhaldor comes at the cost of turning Houses into Mhaldor's vestigial tails.

Edit: Or tyrannosaurus arms. 
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Stop making half-assumptions from talking to only one founder, thanks.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

Ruth said:
    Stop making half-assumptions from talking to only one founder, thanks.
    I have spoken to three, and received three different answers. I'm not trying to make life difficult for anybody. I'm sorry if it felt that way. 
  • edited November 2014
    As a Cyrenian, I love the house split. I'm new to the game and I am way more in to roleplaying than just about anything offered in the game, and so I liked the Virtuosi because it seemed like a good way to learn how to be better.  Learning how to dance or paint teaches you how to make better emotes and descriptions, or so my thinking went. I love it. I'm still super interested in exploring, and I defend as best as I can (not well). So when novices as me 'but I want to do it all' or 'I like lore and fighting' I just ask them what do they want to advance with. 'I see fighting as my duty, but I really love learning about history.' You should be an outrider, but maybe look into the Order of 'that one rune I can't remember right now'. 'You know, I like the idea of making some money off jewellery/tailoring/cooking but I just had a spar and that was so much fun!' Go join the Shield, I'll invite you to the city clan for the arts. 'I like reading, but I want to write more!' 'Ooooh, your dance/poem/story was so good! I wish I could do that!' Welcome to the Virtuosi. We aren't relegated to doing things in our house. The city works together so that everyone has a chance to do everything, but you advance in your house by what you are most passionate about. Consider I dabble a lot in so many areas because I want to do everything and still have been working my way through the house, it has not crossed my mind that others have an easier time because they just focus on art. That's my take, at least.

ETA 'Ooooh, your dance/poem/story was so good! I wish I could do that!' was how I got involved in the Virtuosi. I went to a concert and told that to everyone and one of them talked me in to joining. ^_^

• Herenicus said:
    I don't think it's unfair or artificial to say that people frequently have areas of primary focus and benefit from collaborating. I would be interested to know whether players in Targossas or Cyrene feel that organizing by focus is working out as hoped, or if it is confining as anticipated by @Terra‌
    For me, it is one of the reasons that kept me from joining one of the new Cyrenian houses. I like combat, I like exploration, I like in-game lore, and so my character got somewhat proficient in those areas, but he never considered either of them to be his life's purpose and would dislike being in a house that only placed relevance on one of those things, rather than a more "holistic" approach.

This might be different in a city that has a strong ideology in itself which may serve as the core focus of ones character, but in a neutral city, I find houses that only focus on activity rather than ideology lacking.

But no matter how you do it, any way you split up houses will not suit everyone. For me, the old house distinctions did the trick, for others, they seemed confining.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    The Targossas house split is pretty awesome, imho. Though I get real tired of the Harbs getting called 'the RP house.' 

Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Aodfionn said:
    The Targossas house split is pretty awesome, imho. Though I get real tired of the Harbs getting called 'the RP house.' 

Well, they do get the huuuge non-com rep, until someone like you comes along and just slice and dice them with its scimitars. <3

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I much, much much much much much prefer the mixing of types together like Mhaldor has. This is pretty much my dream set up for the most part. The only thing I am sad about is that it means I won't get to work together with some people House-wise, but that's just inevitable no matter what anyway. So all in all, I'm super pleased and very excited.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KerriaKerria The Red Lioness
    Iocun said:
    Herenicus said:
    For me, it is one of the reasons that kept me from joining one of the new Cyrenian houses. I like combat, I like exploration, I like in-game lore, and so my character got somewhat proficient in those areas, but he never considered either of them to be his life's purpose and would dislike being in a house that only placed relevance on one of those things, rather than a more "holistic" approach.

This might be different in a city that has a strong ideology in itself which may serve as the core focus of ones character, but in a neutral city, I find houses that only focus on activity rather than ideology lacking.

But no matter how you do it, any way you split up houses will not suit everyone. For me, the old house distinctions did the trick, for others, they seemed confining.
    but it's not keeping you from doing those other things. So I'm missing the point entirely of not joining a house. By that logic it would mean you could do nothing.

Cyrene specifically made it so you can say... join combat, but still experience the other houses and share with them. You choose to join them or not, same way for a house. You find you like to explore, but you also want to do combat. They won't stop you from combat, and you're already in the CAC... and Army... you've got a good chuck of Shield's thing right there. You can even join the Virtuosi if you want Iocun to learn a few dance moves or something.

You're not limited.... so why limit yourself saying your limited?
    I wonder a little about the 2:1 membership ratio between our do-it-all Houses. One benefit of divide-by-interest is that each House enjoys a monopoly of sorts; you don't have the problems of direct competition and membership cannibalization. 
  • if both do their own thing well, the you do not have to worry either. Looking at the current setups, there are a few discrepancies between the actual approaches to tasks. If they can straighten that out, I am pretty sure it will go a lot more towards 50/50.

• And all shall walk in fear.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Ruth said:
    So. Pretty much the popular opinion about our new Houses now is hilarious, but accurate.

Insidium is Star War's Sith Empire, with their emphasis on masters and apprenticeship to insidious ends.
    Legates is Star Trek's Borg race, with their emphasis of assimilation to their culture or destruction.

And yeah, there are a few approaches to tasks that needs to be addressed, but once we have that down, things should straighten out 50/50.
    I'll forgive you this once for putting those two together in reference. I'd say Insidium would be more like Sith Inquisitors and Legates more like Sith Stormtroopers. Mhaldor itself is obviously the Sith Empire.

• Ruth said:
    I knew what I was doing when I put them together, @Kresslack. >.>

WHERE MY FELLOW TREKKIES
    I want to call my kittens Spock and James Tiberius Kirk. Im meeting resistance.

(As a side note, for some reason my brain has decided Ruth = Captain Janeway)
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Tibitha said:
    Ruth said:
    I knew what I was doing when I put them together, @Kresslack. >.>

WHERE MY FELLOW TREKKIES
    I want to call my kittens Spock and James Tiberius Kirk. Im meeting resistance.

(As a side note, for some reason my brain has decided Ruth = Captain Janeway)
    Resistance is futile.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Resistance is futile

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae