Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Best in each class

12345679»

Comments

• KadinKadin Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited October 2014
    Ernam said:

Alchs need to do what everyone else needs to do.  Alter their combat strategy to minimize mana use.

Monks can't transmute, Magi can't Holo/SH (much), Shamans need to watch their beligerant swiftcursing, and so on.

Or... buy a bunch of mana/sip arties.

I can personally attest to alch being extremely dangerous, even for priests, so I don't see it as an immediate problem.  You also have a ton of ways to hinder priests to slow them down, which you should explore.

Another common anti-priest strategy I've seen work very effectively is simply punishing the priest for over-the-top mana use.  I never realized how incredibly mana intense priest offense is, and alch offense is pretty much designed to destroy mana.  Punish priests for using too much mana, and/or focus on attacks that use up even more, which not only slows us down, but also synergizes very well with several alchemist kill strategies.

The issue is every single skill we have uses a good bit of mana. I'm not extremely high int yet so that might be some of my problem. I have no issue with hindering. I also need to be more situational when I use focus and am low on mana. 
  • ErnamErnam Member Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited October 2014

Indeed, if you're getting smacked around by a priest, chances are that priest is heavily artied.  Naturally, heavy artied offense is typically countered by defensive artefacts.  One of the perks of playing a class that goes after mana is that 95% of players only buy health-based artefacts (see: both of my characters) and almost entirely ignores mana sip/regen/sash.  This is augmented by the fact that (as you mentioned) most people min-max their offense and ignore other less lulzy stats like Dex and Int.  The result of this is that you get smacked around by things that are mitigated by having those stats.

You should keep in mind that alchemist isn't even close to being the worst at using mana for your offense.  Magi use way more mana and can still handle it just fine (although magi do tend to spec Int, giving them more mana).

Something a lot of people don't notice off the bat is that almost everything mana-related is a fixed amount, while most priest mana attacks are percentage based.  So, unlike health, increasing your max mana is actually really, really helpful, and is one of the big reasons things like sash/bracelet are fantastic to have.

Also, most people are significantly worse at managing mana use than they think they are.

• KadinKadin Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Of course against affliction classes (occie, serpent, etc) I do prio mana unless a situation arises where I need to switch back. I definitely don't believe anything is wrong with alchie causin my mana to dump every now and then. Just think I need to make some small adjustments to my offense/defense to be more efficient on mana without giving up too much pressure. I may post some of my logs later since I've been alchemist if people are interested. I'm a little hesitant about it though. 
    Ernam
Sign In to Comment.