Mhaldor vs Targossas

Comments

• Stheno said:
    I think Targossas has put forth a great effort and had us on the back foot a few times. The big, chaotic fights are especially fun.

The war mechanics do feel like more of an extended siege, where defunding and demoralising your enemy are part of a good strategy. From my perspective, it has driven city engagement not only in combat, but in hunting, trade, and preaching, and it has given us a chance to recognise people who would otherwise go unseen.
    I'd definitely commend anyone who helps non-comms feel as valued as the assets that they simply are amidst all the fighting. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Astarod said:
    Stheno said:
    I think Targossas has put forth a great effort and had us on the back foot a few times. The big, chaotic fights are especially fun.

The war mechanics do feel like more of an extended siege, where defunding and demoralising your enemy are part of a good strategy. From my perspective, it has driven city engagement not only in combat, but in hunting, trade, and preaching, and it has given us a chance to recognise people who would otherwise go unseen.
    I'd definitely commend anyone who helps non-comms feel as valued as the assets that they simply are amidst all the fighting. 
    Agreed! We've been giving some cityfavours, thinking up some more rewards for our non-comms. 
  • damn, that worldburn hurt :(

oh well

get smote
  • Vinzent said:
    damn, that worldburn hurt :(

oh well

get smote
    finally a way to get us out of targ

smite me with all the smite you can s-muster
  • edited June 2020
    Vinzent said:

oh well

get smote

TBQH, I love how no one has been super obnoxious on this thread. Normally, cities behave like the two shopkeepers below: (Spoiler because of bad words in video).

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."

1) Uh. Two years might be a smidge long for this whole shebang. I actually have tried to keep my spirits up and just lean into war being a necessary evil (see what I did there) but like, there's a fine line between thrashing the daylights out of each other in turn and this being OOCly kind of exhausting. 

2) Definitely want to +1 the notes on infamy. I was worried about this monthly bounty on my head making me a real liability to the city, but it turns out it is the least of my worries because a whole bunch of people can PK me all the time due to infamy, so what's another one on the pile.

3) I'd agree that there's been a nice upwelling of support from our youngsters. But I'm also curious if there's some ways to codify things that newbies/midbies/noncoms could do. Font is great, collecting materials, etc. are all good, but if there was any way they could contribute in a particular way to the war effort that was special to them (a la reckoning outposts or something of this nature) I think that would be nice. I'm working on faith/culturey things for them to do, but with their usual captive audiences often in combat it's a little tough. A few months of being otherwise occupied this way is fine, but I'm worried about it in the long haul.

• 2 years is 26 days. I definitely agree that is too long. 1 year is plenty IMO.

• Astarod said:
    Vinzent said:

oh well

get smote

TBQH, I love how no one has been super obnoxious on this thread. Normally, cities behave like the two shopkeepers below: (Spoiler because of bad words in video).

eh I started in the mindset to not care so much about what happens in the war. It’ll just be useless arguing and raging. 

I’m just here for the rpz as y’all saw today. Expect more of that

also yea dude 2 years is way too long can we please have that shortened right away? Like idec if it breaks immersion but I do not want to be at war for a whole month, man, that’s too much of this

I’m sure Archaeon can agree
  • +1 to 1 year war
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Tesha makes some great suggestions.

As for the current war, we are definitely losing so far but Im waiting for the essay and quiz to be announced to help us catch up not to mention the final raid on Sunday night for all the marbles 
  • What are you talking about? This time it is an interpretive dance-off and achaea's first episode of The Voice with a final crusade with supremely powerful boss mobs. Read announce jeez it's all written there tomorrow.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    We got Tesha, she's already prepared for the Voice

• we prepared for that by putting all our effort into dancing. 
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
     I’m sure Archaeon can agree
    Yes my salt levels are at critical atm.
  • edited June 2020
    I agree that two years is too long, when the option to extend a war is there. You have to account for people's real lives, and expecting this level of engagement, fun, and grief to buoy itself over one month is a bit much. People looking to Achaea for respite aren't going to find it for a while. Make it a year default.

Even if the roles were reversed, I wouldn't want my victory lessened by having to drive off people who are getting involved to boost their chances.

We are already having to turn down outside offers.

ETA: I would really like some kind of neutral, non-hostile ground like the Worlds' Fair pavilion where discussion and events can be held. Tells and yells are good and all, but preaching in a city you're raiding is still met with a lot of "shut up!" I don't care if this counts for war points or not, I'm not a fan of very structured debate. I just want the interaction.

In non-war times, the Ziggurat is meant to serve this function. :worried:

Reaching down with a massive hand, Sartan lifts your head and draws a taloned finger across your throat, the wound closing as He does so.

• I'd like it if there were impromptu battles in certain locations every so often, to encourage skirmishes without resorting to shrines, guard-bashing, raiding or jumping infamous. This could be as simple as every 4 to 6 hours a random area lighting up with a global "The warcries of the soldiers of Mhaldor and Targossas resound in the Shamtota Hills as they prepare for battle!" and then like fifteen minutes later everyone of those cities is open pk (to each other) for like half an hour. Winner is whoever gets the most kills (or make it a KotH or mini-CTF style thing to score points?). If the other city doesn't show up, points are granted but not nearly as much if the other city had shown up to fight to give the option to not engage when the odds are awful?

That's mostly because I really enjoyed the skirmishes during the Reckoning, where totems and guards and font weren't an issue. I wonder if that wouldn't be more fun in a war system.
  • I'm just going to put this out there: duels to the death to drop infamy is a really lame move. 
  • Have you guys thought about not doing that one thing that gives massive infamy and is pretty much universally considered a dick move?
  • edited June 2020
    Accipiter said:
    Have you guys thought about not doing that one thing that gives massive infamy and is pretty much universally considered a dick move?

I hate guard bashing personally, I feel like whenever we get asked to do it I'm being forced in to it every time. The infamy you get for doing it sucks, and the act itself isn't the least bit fun especially for anyone that is not a dragon. Novices are the ones who largely pay the price for guard bashing. I complained about it heavily at the time but that fell on deaf ears as my complaints usually do.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Kaios said:
    Accipiter said:
    Have you guys thought about not doing that one thing that gives massive infamy and is pretty much universally considered a dick move?

I hate guard bashing personally, I feel like whenever we get asked to do it I'm being forced in to it every time. The infamy you get for doing it sucks, and the act itself isn't the least bit fun especially for anyone that is not a dragon. Novices are the ones who largely pay the price for guard bashing. I complained about it heavily at the time but that fell on deaf ears as my complaints usually do.
    That's not true but I think that you need to understand that playing in a theocracy means that you need to shut up and colour  sometimes. 
  • EntaroEntaro Plymouth
    It definitely needs some infamy changes.  No point in having a big claxon going NOT OPEN PK and then making everyone infamous for farting in the opposite city.

Definitely make a war 1 year and not 2.  I can imagine half the people in a war getting fatigue already and we're not even a quarter of the way through.

(Party): Crixos says, "Open your wunjos, people of Sapience."
    (Party): Crixos says, "Be nairated by my words."
  • Archaeon said:

That's not true but I think that you need to understand that playing in a theocracy means that you need to shut up and colour  sometimes. 

I don't think that has anything to do with whether or not we should be bashing guards, but I also don't even recall a single person ever saying "hey this is actually something that most people don't like and they will be annoyed with you for it, so keep that in mind before you come along."
  • If you're removing infamy for guard bashing, remove points for guard kills. It's ludicrous to give a PvE system weight, when that system does not open up PvP as a consequence.

Also, war infamy should just be a thing, to eliminate the problem of outside actors trying to horn in on someone else's story.
  • If infamy was a deterrence against guard bashing, removing it just encourages it. What part of that seems enjoyable?

Can you address the concerns of burnout raised by everyone here?

Reaching down with a massive hand, Sartan lifts your head and draws a taloned finger across your throat, the wound closing as He does so.

• edited June 2020
    Reyson said:
    If you're removing infamy for guard bashing, remove points for guard kills. It's ludicrous to give a PvE system weight, when that system does not open up PvP as a consequence.

Also, war infamy should just be a thing, to eliminate the problem of outside actors trying to horn in on someone else's story.

Seems like it only got removed for everyone being in the room when it dies. Would wager people who kill/attack it still get infamy.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• edited June 2020
    You can still Catarin guard bashers, use hands in Targossas' case, harmonics like canticle, rites, etc. It's disingenuous to think just standing there means you're not participating. 

ETA: @Daeir sure. One person can hit you, as opposed to being a fair target to start a sanction with, as retribution for an attack on the opposing City. 
  • edited June 2020
    I dunno, soldiers standing around where a City's guards were murdered being fair game to open a retaliation from said City seems fair to me. Fix war infamy not being applicable to uninvolved parties, and we're good to go. 

ETA: A person can only hold two bounties, and you can't have two people hit the same bounty until there's another reason for your teammates to, as opposed to a team being able to murder someone infamous all together. It's a mechanical difference, and it's pretty significant. 
  • Let's see here.

I'm not going to go into details but guard bashing for the sake of guard bashing is not a winning strategy. It might facilitate things that are, but if people are guard bashing and you're getting even half their team bountied out of it, you are probably the one better off. That said, guard bashes where a city has entirely noone online are very rare. They might not have enough to defend, but noting names for a full bounty list is usually possible, even if they don't show up on the logs. I will note that groups mass hunting individuals down was one of the primary issues with the old war system, so we're not really interested in promoting mechanisms that encourage that: that is a situation where fun has to trump realism we feel.

We are talking about war durations at the moment.