Third Black Wave: Electric Boogaloo

Comments

• Occupation by Rhea incoming 

• Farrah said:
    Man, I would love for Targ to be occupied. Not by the TT because that'd mean I done fked up and I'd have to listen to like 10,000 "I told you so"s (vacation in Nirvana anyone?), but by someone? Yessss. That just sounds fun. Reason to be angry = reason to kill all the things. Mm mmm.
    I mean, all IC aside you really wouldn't ever hear the end of it. There'd be plays about it, but remember you can always pretend it was a reverse-double ploy to get close for a righteous backstab. I assume yours and Hashan's leaders have at least THOUGHT about keeping that in your pocket in case this goes butt-up.

NO IC/OOC CROSSOVER TSOL'TETH, YOU DON'T KNOW THIS IN GAME 
  • Lenn's plan is to convince them she's in the Tlalaiad pre-order.

I mean, look, I can even spell the name without looking it up. Obviously I'm in the pre-order.
  • edited May 2019
    I see both sides but is it really too much to ask that if a city is going in a particular direction- I.E. trying to interact with the fact that the administration provided them with a great opportunity for growth and change- which brought a lot of praise from other cities when people stepped up to the plate... and you don’t like that direction... to go sit on your ship? Go hunt? Maybe don’t make puns on your city’s IC communication channel? 

I mean I am not telling you how to RP but like... don’t invasively stuff your agenda on others? 

Edit: Farrah becomes Tsol’teth bachelorette ._.
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited May 2019
    Lenn said:
    Sometimes the attempt to attack viewpoints comes across very diplomatically, but the underlying point remains: you have a viewpoint different from my own, stop posting it here. :/
    I think people have gotten successively more fed up (I'm definitely starting to) not because you disagree with them, but because you keep posting responses claiming that by disagreeing with you the posters are attacking you. Often with a dose of sarcasm. It makes polite disagreement less rewarding when you know you're going to get called a fun-killing intolerant tyrant no matter what.

Palusa said:
    there's a story reason, I'd have to sit down and work it out, probably steal a leaf out of @Jiraishin's particular book of zealousy (from what I've encountered!) 
    Is zealousy like jealous zealotry? Tell me more.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Neraeos said:
    Astarod said:
    Stuff
    I would like to point out the Archon Ascendant is the heavyweight champion of puns.
    I think we get killed if we tell him to stop though
  • @Jiraishin I don't fully agree with @Astarod but I appreciate his sentiment, and I think the question of "when is it okay to have fun again after a tragedy" is pretty tough to answer.

It's tough to answer for real tragedies too, so it might even be worth exploring ICly rather than beaten to death here on the forum.

However, his post was very civil, so I don't think he's a fun-killing intolerant tyrant. :)
  • Neraeos said:
    Astarod said:
    Stuff
    I would like to point out the Archon Ascendant is the heavyweight champion of puns.
    I mean, wouldn't any punny dragon technically be a heavyweight champion of puns?

(I regret nothing.)
  • Synthus said:
    Neraeos said:
    Astarod said:
    Stuff
    I mean, wouldn't any punny dragon technically be a heavyweight champion of puns?

(I regret nothing.)
    He would definitely tip the scales, that's for sure.

• edited May 2019
    With respect to Targ's well-being, there have been occasions where the gods were displeased with us enough to cause people to worry about her survival. I'm of the opinion that it is only by their grace that the whole thing doesn't break apart and flow down that cliff into the ocean. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility for something devastating to happen some day, I don't think Shallam gives us any sort of immunity. Character wise, I think recent events ought to make us more grateful for what we have and more invested in protecting it. We aren't safe, bad things happen, we have to grow beyond our previously assumed limits to face these new challenges. To haughtily disregard the possibility of all consequence and go about your merry way is to tempt fate, to temp fate in a setting where gods are demonstrably real is suicidal.

The 'I don't want to play that type of game' logic makes no sense to me. The game we're playing revolves around assuming the role of characters in a certain setting with a specific mythology and history. Its character acting with a little bit of combat sprinkled on top. The setting has been laid out, now act accordingly. Those who perform well get to enjoy better and more interaction from their peers, those who do not will be ignored or treated with contempt, that is the type of game we are playing.

In other news, I'm a little glad for this brief lull in wave activity, there is a lot of ministerial work I need to catch up on.

• @Davok

I'm enemied to Cyrene, and my character hates the city and thinks this is something like karmic retribution for them.

I'm also enjoying most of this event, admittedly by totally ignoring the parts I wouldn't like.

My complaint about grimness is the long-term push I've seen. This event is merely a small part of that. There are occasionally silly things too, but they're very, very often exclusive, and often looked down upon even when the admin is driving it (see earlier complaints about the tsol'teth goofing off with Targossans :/ ).

My complaint about people telling other people to shut up on the forums really is that. I see it happen all the time. :/
  • edited May 2019
    No offense, mate, but if you read the mythos of Achaea, did even a cursory reading of its IC history (both before and after player-history started), or even paid attention at all to the world around and you decided 'hey this is the perfect setting for me to roleplay reality-detached slice of life rp with no conflict' the issue is squarely on you.
    To pretend Achaea is 'grimdark' simply because it's not a moe anime setting is pretty asinine. It's simply a world that's pretty heavily defined by constant conflict of various sorts. Within this world, we still have a house literally dedicated to clowns (and mimes roam their backyard), we still have teen dwarves that are impressed by dragons and call people 'sea lady.' But it is a world that tries to be fully-realized, and that involves bad stuff sometimes. If you seriously are so opposed to anything bad ever happening, why play a game like this? I'm sure there's some k-on roleplay mud out there or something instead that would've been 100% more painless to play if that's something you're so firmly set on. Surely, you, at some point, must have realized that conflict is a big part of Achaea and its value, why suddenly change your mind?

• Kiet said:
    No offense, mate, but if you read the mythos of Achaea, did even a cursory reading of its IC history (both before and after player-history started), or even paid attention at all to the world around and you decided 'hey this is the perfect setting for me to roleplay reality-detached slice of life rp with no conflict' the issue is squarely on you.
    To pretend Achaea is 'grimdark' simply because it's not a moe anime setting is pretty asinine. It's simply a world that's pretty heavily defined by constant conflict of various sorts. Within this world, we still have a house literally dedicated to clowns (and mimes roam their backyard), we still have teen dwarves that are impressed by dragons and call people 'sea lady.' But it is a world that tries to be fully-realized, and that involves bad stuff sometimes. If you seriously are so opposed to anything bad ever happening, why play a game like this? I'm sure there's some k-on roleplay mud out there or something instead that would've been 100% more painless to play if that's something you're so firmly set on. Surely, you, at some point, must have realized that conflict is a big part of Achaea and its value, why suddenly change your mind?

On the large scale conflict and lack of ‘silly’ things. In my, albeit short, experience with the real world, generally big, world effecting things aren’t going to be a whole lot of fun, but day to day interactions are going to be. That’s where I found most of the silly in achaea, interacting with other players and watching very small scale stuff play out. Large scale events aren’t going to be silly, because generally if something is big enough to garner the attention of most of the world, it’s going to be serious.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Kiet said:
    we still have teen dwarves that are impressed by dragons and call people 'sea lady'
    That's pretty sea lady to you, mister.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Light-hearted but world-wide events have included intercity competitions hosted by Lord Ardryn, Mayaween and Logosmas every year, and arguably the fifty year staff competition.

They're pretty fun, and I'm happy to be in a city again in time for the last one.

Y'know, maybe part of my grumpiness with no light-hearted stuff is that it seems often tied to cities, which gradually grow more and more grim over the years, Mhaldor excluded (I sometimes think they're wrapping around into looney toons territory, except the violence is quite visceral, so sadly still not to personal taste).
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited May 2019
    Lord Adryn's tournament included watching soldiers get their throats slit in their sleep whenever we screwed up. It don't get much more grimdark than that. Though watching Mezghar try to bribe a unicorn with carrots was funny. That was actually a pretty good example of something serious where there was personal-scale silliness that fit the situation.

I don't think the cities have gotten more grim, really, except for Cyrene's temporary situation. It feels more like they've grown into factional identities for the most part. 

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Cool so this thread can be closed, yeah @Nicola ?

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I mean, the event isn't over yet...
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I'm interested to hear what people want Cyrene to be motivated by in the new world. One off rivalries don't work out so well, that is why all the cities have their aggressive factions now. So what ethos is Cyrene supposed to take now they aren't allowed to be neutral?
  • Cyrene comes first!  Can't trust others any more!
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Accipiter said:
    I'm interested to hear what people want Cyrene to be motivated by in the new world. One off rivalries don't work out so well, that is why all the cities have their aggressive factions now. So what ethos is Cyrene supposed to take now they aren't allowed to be neutral?
    I don't think they aren't allowed to be neutral? Sure, they may hold a grudge against Hashan and Targossas, and we'll see how those relationships work out, but nothing about what happened indicates that after this they don't remain neutral.
  • @Skye you were tagged because I wasn't meaning to imply there is anything wrong with cooking. The comments prior to your tag were about the vocal minority, not you.
  • Skye said:
    right-o. And yes there is nothing wrong with cooking, I did challenge the Tsol'teth to a cooking match even though she was so scared of me that when the time came to face me in the kitchen, she opted for suicide by clocktower instead. Some people were disappointed. 
    I was, new items for Skye's food are always a want :(