Third Black Wave: Electric Boogaloo

Comments

• I'm not the one derisively calling people jokes.

Where's my high horse?
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    it probably laughed at you and galloped away. 
  • I didn’t call anyone a joke, but I’m happy to oblige if so required.

The statement was an absolute joke.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Where's the punchline? Is it that you're an asshole, in some kind of meta-humor?
  • Funny that you’re the one calling people names now

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I'm just not sure what else it could be. You're free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • @Shirszae Yeah, I'm just vaguely pissed off and venting.

And I think it's ridiculous to tell someone "you should like this roleplay."

Like, I dunno what kind of roleplay @Atalkez finds in bad taste, but suppose the admins of the game force him to watch it anytime he's in Targossas.

And then, the kicker, when he complains, we'll tell him he's wrong, his complaint is a joke, and he should probably just quit playing.

That's disgusting to me.
  • @Sobriquet You're right in that I'm not joking. 

This plot offers a lot of RP opportunities. None of them interest me. The things I enjoy about this game, including playing in a city that's out of conflict and where players who enjoy a quiet game are welcomed and can thrive, have been focused on hard by admin for this plot. I'm not interested in PvP as it's played here, which takes most of this out of interest. I had hopes when we got Cyrene back, then they choose to push the ambience to push people away from that.

At the moment, I'm close to agreeing this is no longer the place for me to play, as I feel admin is expressing that those who don't get fully into conflicts are not welcome.

• Someone is just not receptive to introspection on this issue, and this makes this particular line of conversation unfortunately pointless. I can't "enough" but I can appeal to the basic idea of "they're not listening, they're never going to listen for whatever reason and thankfully appear to be in the minority. Go home and feel good that you tried before it becomes more of a slinging match than it is"

I will have to live with the pain of knowing that "they" is going to mean "not me" to the same people. The loss is theirs, and will inevitably be a hurdle they'll either fall over on every single time this comes up (and it will) again and again, or eventually work it out on their own. 
  • @Palusa I dunno if I'm in this "they" but I'm well aware that 1) people on this forum generally don't like what I have to say, 2) the forum population and any consensus it may even appear to reach is a woeful minority of the entire game, and 3) it's become a slinging match.

However, admins read these forums and have made decisions based on them in the past quite often.

I imagine that may even be why people on this forum so quickly attack any viewpoints not their own.
    you guys are crybabies, and the fact that you're unable to see that even within cyrene you are a vocal minority (Lenn isn't even in cyrene any more lol wtf is she even arguing for) makes me think you're just arguing for attention.  i thought this was a discussion for the black wave, not the wave of tears emanating from a certain 4-5 people's eyeballs 
  • ^ attacking any viewpoints not their own
  • It actually doesn't matter if it was you or not, but I'm not looking to silence anyone, more that what debate, discussion, admin comments that you may have missed, commenting directly on the issue you wish to have addressed have not shifted anyone's perspective here, and the previous page is basically name hurling, and that is pointless.
    aren't you doing that by complaining about the event?
  • This is a game about conflict, pvp or otherwise.  Nobody is exempt from it.  Cyrene being a city without conflict was a facade facilitated by your leadership.  It was fake, because peace could never truly last in this game anywhere.  If you don't like conflict then yes, this is not the game for you.  It isn't for everyone and there is no shame in that.  Playing Achaea and not wanting conflict is like doing a raid in WoW and letting your Hunter pet do all your dps.  Can you do it?  Sure.  Is that the way Hunter is meant to be played?  No.  
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
    see I don't even agree with that.  there's definitely room in Achaean for people that don't want to fight.  i would venture to say there's room for everyone.  it's the people that don't want change that are going to have a hard time playing. 
  • I didn't say "fighting" I said "conflict".  It's an important distinction and goes right along with what you stated.   :)
  • Archaeon said:
    aren't you doing that by complaining about the event?
    I may have gone too far with my Edgaea post, and for that, I apologise.

It came from a place of being frustrated that the admins constantly push grim events, make personable characters just to torture or kill them off, etc.

I always thought Aetolia was the edgy game, and that Achaea strived for more of a balanced experience, but it hasn't felt very balanced to me lately.

Like, even the Mayaween and Logosmas stuff has been getting reduced. We literally skipped a Mayaween to have the second blackwave.

I'm all for people having fun with dark roleplay, like I don't say we should delete Mhaldor or Ashtan, but a whole lot of people say Cyrene and Eleusis should be deleted. :/
  • Torinn said:
    This is a game about conflict, pvp or otherwise.  Nobody is exempt from it.  Cyrene being a city without conflict was a facade facilitated by your leadership.  It was fake, because peace could never truly last in this game anywhere.  If you don't like conflict then yes, this is not the game for you.  It isn't for everyone and there is no shame in that.  Playing Achaea and not wanting conflict is like doing a raid in WoW and letting your Hunter pet do all your dps.  Can you do it?  Sure.  Is that the way Hunter is meant to be played?  No.  
    There's room for both, levity gives context and shading to grief. This event has been an onslaught as far as Palusa has been concerned, but its also had people like @Ysela turn it into a positive, hell any player I've interacted with as Palusa doesn't live entirely in a serious and sombre existence. There's room for optimists, there's room for "life of the party" idealists who can put a spin on the direst circumstance. I even took some time yesterday to think about whether it'd be possible to play a true absolutist isolationist, eschewing all conflict. Turns out there was a god and order for that, and it sounded like it was difficult, but possible. I can greatly respect that, because its an ideal that has to organically adapt to Achaea's universe. That should exist I think, because it adds something.

Where the friction seems to lie is not a particular view even, more the idea that a player has a right to exist without being forced to interact. I actually can see someone who has been able to play a long time without having to do that being rightfully surprised and upset by the change, as much as I'd be upset if palusa was suddenly curtailed from playing and behaving as a Mhaldorian, but if there's a story reason, I'd have to sit down and work it out, probably steal a leaf out of @Jiraishin's particular book of zealousy (from what I've encountered!) If I couldn't, and I couldn't have fun, then I'd move on, Achaea's loss.
  • Y'all are gonna get this thread locked, or worse, turned into a haiku thread.

Cyrene is the Last City. By the end of times when Mhaldor rules most of Sapience except all non-Cyrene cities have been destroyed and overtaken by Nature, Oblivion encompasses the rest of the world, Vastar has drained the sea and Neraeos has brought down the sky, Cyrene will have gone thru way worse than this and the TT will have peaced out a long time ago.

• I mean... I've a lot of mixed feelings on this, and I'll be the first to admit that I've been out of line in my complaints sometimes.

I will still question whether or not attacking Cyrene was a good idea to begin with, mainly because, well, we've seen the player backlash.

I do think it's been an excellent source of character growth and development for those that so choose to take it up. I know that it's opened up a lot of avenues for Synthus, and there have been a number of times that he has skirted the edge of breaking down or flying into a murderous rage.

I understand that for a lot of people, Cyrene is their digital "home away from home." I mean, hell, it is for me, that's why it hurt so much when we lost it, why I fought so hard to get it back, and why I seriously considered walking away from the game if we were to lose it forever. For a lot of those players though, they aren't interested in combat, they aren't interested in the doom and grimdark aspects of Achaea, and I can't fault them for not finding enjoying in those aspects.

Telling those players that they should quit playing and that their value of Cyrene is little more than a chatroom is assumptive, dismissive, and downright disingenuous to them. 

These are valid frustrations being expressed, even for a world as "always-evolving" as Achaea. If you disagree with them, very well, disagree with them, but there is no reason to attack the players for feeling frustrated and voicing their frustrations. 
  • Palusa said:
    Torinn said:
    This is a game about conflict, pvp or otherwise.  Nobody is exempt from it.  Cyrene being a city without conflict was a facade facilitated by your leadership.  It was fake, because peace could never truly last in this game anywhere.  If you don't like conflict then yes, this is not the game for you.  It isn't for everyone and there is no shame in that.  Playing Achaea and not wanting conflict is like doing a raid in WoW and letting your Hunter pet do all your dps.  Can you do it?  Sure.  Is that the way Hunter is meant to be played?  No.  
    There's room for both, levity gives context and shading to grief. This event has been an onslaught as far as Palusa has been concerned, but its also had people like @Ysela turn it into a positive, hell any player I've interacted with as Palusa doesn't live entirely in a serious and sombre existence. There's room for optimists, there's room for "life of the party" idealists who can put a spin on the direst circumstance. I even took some time yesterday to think about whether it'd be possible to play a true absolutist isolationist, eschewing all conflict. Turns out there was a god and order for that, and it sounded like it was difficult, but possible. I can greatly respect that, because its an ideal that has to organically adapt to Achaea's universe. That should exist I think, because it adds something.

Where the friction seems to lie is not a particular view even, more the idea that a player has a right to exist without being forced to interact. I actually can see someone who has been able to play a long time without having to do that being rightfully surprised and upset by the change, as much as I'd be upset if palusa was suddenly curtailed from playing and behaving as a Mhaldorian, but if there's a story reason, I'd have to sit down and work it out, probably steal a leaf out of @Jiraishin's particular book of zealousy (from what I've encountered!) If I couldn't, and I couldn't have fun, then I'd move on, Achaea's loss.
    Well said!  I think that is the crux of it.  Being able to adapt as the situations demand and recognizing that not everything is in our control and sometimes we have to change with how things are changing.  
  • Sometimes the attempt to attack viewpoints comes across very diplomatically, but the underlying point remains: you have a viewpoint different from my own, stop posting it here. :/