Third Black Wave: Electric Boogaloo

Comments

• Babel said:
    It's perfectly reasonable to be critical of people not taking theme or setting seriously.
    People build a city culture for being light-hearted, and the admin come in with a mandatory world event, kick everyone out of the city, and tell them "stop being so silly."

I'm sorry but that's a bit fucked up, and is precisely where my criticism comes from.

The admins of this game themselves do not respect the idea someone might not want grimdark roleplay, so this whole "respect the theme (we set (to kill off roleplay we don't like))" is a bit weak.
  • Melodie said:
    The above is on the players, too.

After some big guard bash a while ago, Daeir wrote up an extremely beautiful funeral that involved lanterns on the rivers through Targossas and singing and such. It was very touching, and entirely done on his own. It was impressive enough admin added some environmental bits to the city that reflected the event.
    Ohh, is that where the river lanterns come from? I thought they were just... I have no idea what I thought. 
  • Also, FWIW, feeling a tad disconnected from the "retaking the city" event as I was mostly offline over the weekend. By the time I was able to log in again, the city had been retaken, we were back home, and things had shifted to cleanup and attempting to restore a semblance of normalcy. Even with the Events post summarizing things, there's still the lingering feeling of "welp, that happened, yay team?"

• Great thing about this game - if you don't want to visit Cyrene - YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

• Shirszae said:
    Thats really no excuse. There are serious roleplayers who live in Cyrene, and the city is as much theirs as it is yours.
    I was responding to his Youtube link, not making a statement about serious roleplayers.

• edited May 2019
    I didn't intend for that to get under your skin. The topic of conversation reminded me of the joke, so I shared the link, that's all that was.

I enjoy being goofy on forums. I see these pages as a sort of bar-like hangout where all us people who enjoy playing the same video game can relax a little.

• JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    edited May 2019
    Zbaco said:
    Great thing about this game - if you don't want to visit Cyrene - YOU DON'T HAVE TO.
    What Shirszae said, and also if you intend to declare Cyrene the city of OOC and say that people who don't like it should avoid interacting with it, you can't really complain about non-Cyrenians being contemptuous of the city.
     EDIT:I keep missing new comments, damn phone data connection 

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Should've kept Cyrene destroyed imo  :p
  • From the point of view of someone who's not enjoying this plot, you can force things onto people, especially when you're admin, but you can't force them to participate or enjoy it. If Cyrene hadn't been conquered, I'd probably have a better opinion of things.

The world has changed, so there has to be some form of acknowledgment of that, but there will be people from all cities who do that as little as possible, as they simply don't want to engage with this. This is as valid an RP as those who are hardcore into it, wanting every bit of conflict and devastation as they can be part of. I think more of both sides acknowledging that the other side has a valid point of view would be helpful. Various postings on this thread along the lines of 'I'm glad this happened to Cyrene, because now they are forced into the RP we think they should be playing.' doesn't help those who want to enjoy a quiet game. Attacking those who say 'give me more of this' doesn't either.

For players who want to force other players into the RP you want, ask players of pirate characters how that works out in the long run? 
  • Shub said:
    I didn't intend for that to get under your skin. The topic of conversation reminded me of the joke, so I shared the link, that's all that was.

I enjoy being goofy on forums. I see these pages as a sort of bar-like hangout where all us people who enjoy playing the same video game can relax a little.
    My apologies then, took it the wrong way.

• @Morsul It was occupied, and then damaged, but not destroyed.

If it had been though a nice little mountain fortress complete with a prison spire would've been nice - since killing people doesn't reform them. They'd waste away shackled to the walls, only offered baked goods to eat. Products of a lovely grist mill that turns the bones of their comrades into some decent flour.

The more troublesome prisoners need to be fixed. They're defective. Deficient. They're of no use to a peaceful society. So, with some minor surgery they're all smiles... sure there's a lot of drool, but they're happy, quiet, and very upstanding.

At least this is the warped draconic sense of neutrality my character takes, and is probably seen by the others as a raving though friendly lunatic.
    "Alas. Alas for Hamlin. The Mayor sent east, west, north, and south. To offer the Piper by word of mouth. Wherever it was men's lot to find him, silver and gold to his heart's content. If only he'd return the way he went."

• ------------------------------------------------------
  • edited May 2019
    There's no real hope for Cyrene or its citizens, because most of them are lazy, uninspired people who only view Achaea as a chatroom. Their terrible leadership that wasn't even logged in for the event (except one) should have been emptied/abolished when the city was reclaimed. Instead they're still in place and won't change because, at its core, Cyrene is a lazy, stagnant group of people that add very little to the game, and almost always tend to drive away the rare individuals that do try to change Cyrene for the better. It's supremely disappointing, but in no way is it surprising. This nonchalant reaction to a major lifechanging event IG just drives home that fact.
  • Ooh missing persons posters.  Get on that!  Spread them around and hand them out!
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Aegoth said:
    There's no real hope for Cyrene or its citizens, because most of them are lazy, uninspired people who only view Achaea as a chatroom. Their terrible leadership that wasn't even logged in for the event (except one) should have been emptied/abolished when the city was reclaimed. Instead they're still in place and won't change because, at its core, Cyrene is a lazy, stagnant group of people that add very little to the game, and almost always tend to drive away the rare individuals that do try to change Cyrene for the better. It's supremely disappointing, but in no way is it surprising. This nonchalant reaction to a major lifechanging event IG just drives home that fact.
    Tell us how you really feel, man. Jeez.

• When @Babel of all people tries to claim there's no push toward making Achaea darker and edgier. :/
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    Lenn said:
    When @Babel of all people tries to claim there's no push toward making Achaea darker and edgier. :/
    ...Yes. Clearly Babel is the OOC champion of his faction. Also a god IRL.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Hoo boy there's been some A grade trolling going on in this thread.

Even with some tiring parts I've enjoyed this event (so far?) and really do appreciate the events posts that have helped keep abreast of the unfolding situation. I miss the rainbow bubbles already, RIP well of chaos, and I've also felt a tangible shift in the community, at least from my position in it.

Also, i won't call anyone out, but thank you for all the ongoing interactions I've had. It's been interesting.
  • For clarification, I was pointing out the irony regarding the character Babel and the history of that character, as well as events surrounding that character.

It was not intended to be a slight toward the volunteer behind said character.

I'm fine if you like grim stuff. I'm just tired of the constant attacks on light-hearted stuff, and I don't personally approve of the direction the admins have been taking.

This is in general, not aimed at the person behind @Babel, nor even aimed exclusively at the character.
  • Zbaco said:
    ...and suddenly we have event-oriented ambiance messages, such as children crying in the distance and knights moving corpses around.
    I'm glad I'm not Cyrenian and in fact enemied there. I'd probably just log out for a while instead of dealing with that.
  • Aegoth said:
    Regarding your point about the leadership not changing as a result of the event, I was expecting that to happen as well and was honestly surprised when nothing changed. (Not saying whether or not anything *should have* changed, just surprised it didn't happen.)