Third Black Wave: Electric Boogaloo

Comments

• Oh are we doing the puffing-out-chest-ego thing? Right let me see if I can do this...

'Lol mhaldor got pwned. Fissure blown, guards down. Gg no re.'

I believe this is the correct lingo Aegoth and co are looking for  :3
  • edited May 2019
    I'd really like to know this as well. So far Telen is simply referring to it as "Countless". 
  • Between the tsunami, the tide taking most of the bodies, the eerie silence and the fact Blu's tethers were made of souls? Yeah, I think we're talking more than decimation here (in the literal sense).
  • edited May 2019
    It's clearly quite a big loss, yeah. I'd just love it if the magnitude was slightly more explicit. Obviously they're always vague on the actual scale of denizen populations, but just being able to vaguely ballpark the percentage and the causes would be nice. I want Keorin to be able to be properly pissed at the Tsol'teth/devastated by the cost of having chosen to fight/horrified by the effects of the fog.

If nothing else, I hope we can find an avenue IC to investigate it.
  • Keorin said:
    It's clearly quite a big loss, yeah. I'd just love it if the magnitude was slightly more explicit. Obviously they're always vague on the actual scale of denizen populations, but just being able to vaguely ballpark the percentage and the causes would be nice. I want Keorin to be able to be properly pissed at the Tsol'teth/devastated by the cost of having chosen to fight/horrified by the effects of the fog.

If nothing else, I hope we can find an avenue IC to investigate it.
    "According to the Ministry of Development's last census held in 798 AF, the current population of Cyrene not counting transient populations such as merchant caravans was..."
  • Keorin said:
    So, quick question, especially for any admin who might see this.

Do we have a practical idea of what the scope of death was in Cyrene, and what caused it? There have been a few city-wide emotes suggesting the level of death, but it's pretty unclear whether this was from the occupation, or if the fog had "consumed" the denizens like it does visible denizens, and they didn't come back from that, or if it was from the flood or earthquake. I'm sure some of this would be vague ICly, but there should theoretically be survivors to ask, and if it was the flood/quake, there should be bodies?

It's hard to know how I should be reacting ICly. Since most of the population of the city is always invisible, so's the scope of the death, and it feels pretty weird to only have a vague idea of the state of the city when supposedly Keo's a senator.
    Are you sure you want us to answer that question?
  • @Rhivona says, "Here, let me get you a list of casualties. "

• If we want to consider all the destructive factors, there was:

- Tsol'teth processing civilians.
    - Tide + Tide monstrosities.
    - Guards slaughtering/hunting down civilians.
    - Skye's flood that swept away, word for word, 'legions' of people.
    - Hailqas'an and her final act.

Not sure if i'm forgetting anything, but with all that and the ambiance of stillness, Cyrene is practically a ghost town filled with rubble.
  • I wonder what are, if any, the ramifications of having an empty city...
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    Asmodron said:
    I wonder what are, if any, the ramifications of having an empty city...
    Someone Cyrenian, type MORALE. I wanna see the message that shows up.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Jiraishin said:
    Asmodron said:
    I wonder what are, if any, the ramifications of having an empty city...
    Someone Cyrenian, type MORALE. I wanna see the message that shows up.

"The pleased humming of citizens going about their business fills the streets with Cyrenian cheer."

Yay...everything is going to be okay!!....right??
  • I can almost sense Ictinus typing away for a unique code for morale in Cyrene for the next few in-game years.
  • Having the city back is great. Despite the desolate ambiance, and the mourning for those fallen.

The skirmishes inside of Cyrene, and outside in small pockets have been a blast. Coupled with some fun hostile interactions in-between.

I wish I could be around for more of them, but catching up on sleep has been wonderful.  :)
    "Alas. Alas for Hamlin. The Mayor sent east, west, north, and south. To offer the Piper by word of mouth. Wherever it was men's lot to find him, silver and gold to his heart's content. If only he'd return the way he went."
  • Hearing the children playing in the streets for the first time, between the ambiance of desolation and coming to grips with the loss was something that kind of hit hard, but also gave hope that rebuilding -will- go on, and things are getting better.
  • Mroxyl said:
    Hearing the children playing in the streets for the first time, between the ambiance of desolation and coming to grips with the loss was something that kind of hit hard, but also gave hope that rebuilding -will- go on, and things are getting better.
    Playful giggling heralds a pair of children passing you by, their ghostly forms a reminder of what once was. -- New city room message.
    Asmodron said:
    Mroxyl said:
    Hearing the children playing in the streets for the first time, between the ambiance of desolation and coming to grips with the loss was something that kind of hit hard, but also gave hope that rebuilding -will- go on, and things are getting better.
    Playful giggling heralds a pair of children passing you by, their ghostly forms a reminder of what once was. -- New city room message.
    Oh god it's @Babel's ghost kids again

• Asmodron said:
    Mroxyl said:
    Oh, that would be horrific. Totally fitting, but damn...
  • Babel said:
    Revel in despair, destruction and loss.

Little else provides the same character-building impetus and sheer emergent fun in roleplay. Victories are transient and fleeting, easily forgotten, but slights and wounds can sometimes permanently and irrevocably alter the course of your character in ways you could've never imagined. Cherish it.
    Definitely have to agree with you on the this. Tasus is different from how he wasn’t when the event started. Mostly he’s confused on where he needs to be doing things. 
  • Babel said:
    Revel in despair, destruction and loss.

Little else provides the same character-building impetus and sheer emergent fun in roleplay. Victories are transient and fleeting, easily forgotten, but slights and wounds can sometimes permanently and irrevocably alter the course of your character in ways you could've never imagined. Cherish it.
    I agree now. I didn't back then and I'm still a little hesitant on saying "Yeah, this was a good idea!" overall, but I cannot deny that the ordeal was a veritable crucible for character development. I mostly question "at what cost?", but that will be an interesting question to find the answer to over time.

I understand the whole "hero's journey" descent, abyss, ascent bit now more than I did when it began. I would say the tragedy is the wound, and the victory the salve though, as fleeting as they are. It's going to take time to heal and it's going to leave a scar, but without that victory to salve, the wound would fester and rot.

I probably could have elaborated more, but I'm all worded out after that last post. I will definitely cherish it though. 
    This event hasn't really wrought dramatic changes in Jir, though there's been subtle character development... but the -last- event he was involved in has him asking a citymate for confirmation every time he sees a world emote or unfamiliar atmospheric, just to make sure it's not all in his head. Still. He still does this. Damned if it doesn't seem like I've permanently wrecked his nerves.

• Palusa said:
    Also, dropping @Palusa's motivation for a second, Everyone in Cyrene who took part, who didn't just sort of roll over now has a very, very powerful piece of resolve to always carry with them. You've all done an exceptionally rare thing both in game, and hell, in reality. You took back your home, you fought tooth and nail to reclaim your land. Bear in mind while I want to avoid drawing specific examples because in reality it often brings a ton of complications both good and bad, that this is an INSANELY powerful tool to inform RP, empower players who went through it. Cyrene is yours, and being Cyrenian has gone from being something brought about a very long time ago by what seems to boil down to "We killed a dragon after it ate everyone else and the denizens didn't really have anyone else to turn to" to this. 

OOC Don't forget it, IC don't let anyone else forget it.
    To be entirely honest, I'm still somewhat surprised we pulled it off. It's never going to be forgotten, and definitely, we are never going to let the world forget. We took back our home, we delivered final death unto a Tsol'teth, and we screamed at the world, "DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH OUR DRAGON!"

Also...

"In order to ensure the security and continuing stability, the Cyrenean Republic will be reformed into the first Cyrenean EMPIRE! For a safe and secure society!" - Emperor Palpathus, 850 AF

I can dig it. 
  • Synthus said:
    Palusa said:
    Also, dropping @Palusa's motivation for a second, Everyone in Cyrene who took part, who didn't just sort of roll over now has a very, very powerful piece of resolve to always carry with them. You've all done an exceptionally rare thing both in game, and hell, in reality. You took back your home, you fought tooth and nail to reclaim your land. Bear in mind while I want to avoid drawing specific examples because in reality it often brings a ton of complications both good and bad, that this is an INSANELY powerful tool to inform RP, empower players who went through it. Cyrene is yours, and being Cyrenian has gone from being something brought about a very long time ago by what seems to boil down to "We killed a dragon after it ate everyone else and the denizens didn't really have anyone else to turn to" to this. 

OOC Don't forget it, IC don't let anyone else forget it.
    To be entirely honest, I'm still somewhat surprised we pulled it off. It's never going to be forgotten, and definitely, we are never going to let the world forget. We took back our home, we delivered final death unto a Tsol'teth, and we screamed at the world, "DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH OUR DRAGON!"

Also...

"In order to ensure the security and continuing stability, the Cyrenean Republic will be reformed into the first Cyrenean EMPIRE! For a safe and secure society!" - Emperor Palpathus, 850 AF

I can dig it. 

I meaaaan, not to be -that- guy but technically the Tsol'teth abandoned Cyrene (and poor Hailqas'an) and Hailqas'an killed herself...but details are just details >.>

I hope these events have prepared you for what comes next. Event feels far from over.