Raiding Mechanics

Comments

• You get XP all through defense. Sanction included.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• What!!! Ok everyone, please keep raiding when im online I need to get level 126
     <3 
  • My only complaint about raids (other than they have no long-term consequences in-game, but that's a whole other topic) is the the lack of victory conditions for defenders/loss penalties for invaders.

A destroyed room, a plume of smoke over the target city, those are clear signs of victory built into the mechanics of the game. It says to the world, "This city lost", and the deathsights tell to whom. The defenders have nothing like that - there is no clear sign that the invaders lost because they can keep coming back, and while the invaders have a final, obtainable goal (getting a tank blown), the defenders don't. They have to keep going and going and going hoping the attackers give up. I'd say the goalposts constantly get moved back, but the defenders don't even have goalposts. There's no way to say "okay, this is it, we've beaten the invaders". You might say the Font damage stacks are a way of saying "defenders win when the invaders can't come back", but it's not - it's a way of the defenders saying "we didn't lose", which is a not-insignificant difference.

Even the supposed 'loss' that invaders have in their deaths losing them experience is basically non-existent. Dragons can die a dozen times and barely feel the sting of lost experience. What do the invaders actually risk? What tells them "hey, you lost, sorry buddy"? From a game mechanics perspective, the victory condition only exists for one side - the invaders. From a game mechanics perspective, the penalty for losing only exists for one side - the defenders. This means that the invaders, in theory, can never lose. They just have to keep going until they win.

The way things are now feels like...
    Sanction-lose-lose-lose-lose-resanction-lose-win "AHA WE ARE THE SUPERIOR CITY AND YOU ARE THE WEAK AND FEEBLE ONES HOW DOES IT FEEL LOSERS GET WRECKED"
    ... Nevermind the occasional time this actually happens in the game. Post-raid shouts after multiple defeats because they got a lucky tank really piss me off, and I've seen it at least once since Cadan was made, and I haven't been able to play a whole lot the past week.

It's lame,  and the mechanics of the game actively support it. The best fix, without adding a huge amount of stuff, is for a tank being disarmed slashes the sanction timer by, say, half remaining. When a sanction ends, another one can't be placed on the defenders by the invaders for a period of, say, four Achaean days. Finally, there needs to be a worldwide message, much like the plumes of smoke from a tank blowing, indicating the invaders lost. A penalty on them, somehow, or on their city, wouldn't go amiss - doesn't need to be serious, but something for the losing invaders to remember the fight by would be nice, just like the defenders losing has an inconveniently destroyed room to remember the attackers by.

tl;dr - Defenders need a win condition, a public message for win condition, and the invaders need some sort of loss penalty.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Since we are talking about multiple tanks within a sanction, I think you should only be able to place one tank at a time, this solves the issue of raiding parties hiding a tank in some remote place (it also encourages raiders to go for a level 2).  Even with the veil/gem changes this is still a pretty dumb mechanism. 
  • Mathilda said:
    What!!! Ok everyone, please keep raiding when im online I need to get level 126
    All that would do is get you sent back to Minia
  • You have enough phials for that?

• Dunn said:
    You have enough phials for that?
    Yes, yes I do
  • Armali said:
    I came from Aetolia too, and while it's nice to have raid mechanics, it doesn't mean they can't be better. Novelty's run out for me after a year, and you can see the wear around the edges and the cracks.

A global announce for tank disarm would be nice. Sanction instantly dropping on a disarm and a sanction immunity period for like 15 minutes so defenders can clean up would be nice too. If raiders want to try again, they need to get a new sanction.
    I do like the global announce idea, I think that would be super useful...especially after disarming the tank and then having people run and grab new tanks, that does seem kinda janky and defeats the purpose of disposing of the tank during a raid....having it have to be worked for rather than just installing a new commodity.
  • Always thought it was weird that there was a global announce for tanks detonating (via the plume of smoke), but nothing that says the tank was disarmed except in city logs. Not even an area-wide announce.

• Yes please for global announce disarm. It'd definitely help morale too.
  • Sanction ending on disarm is fine, but I don't agree with a cooldown period. There's already a limit on how many tanks you can have at any given time. 

Atalkez is right in that it's too easy to defend a place, as well, home-field advantage is too strong. If disarming a tank is going to end a sanction, either defenders' options should get limited, or disarming a tank should be a longer-than-5-minutes channeled action or something so that a random CFH doesn't constitute a resounding victory. 

I get the frustration on the defenders' part, but ultimately, the disparity in investment between what goes into attacking successfully, both time and credit wise, and what it takes to defend a city successfully, is a pretty clear indicator of which task is more difficult. Attackers have to scout, figure out guards, deal with font stacks, infil/exfil, get hit by totems when moving at first, basically risk losing a 1/5 chance to win if wiping, can't change classes in enemy territory, etc. 

As someone who's done a lot of raiding, on either side, I can absolutely say attacking is way harder than defending, so I'm not opposed to raiders being able to win if they hang in there and adapt/change spots to move the tank somewhere defenders can't get at it.

If you don't like the trash talk, ignore shouts or something?
  • What about.. disarming is a channeled action that "diffuses" x% per second?  If you wipe the attackers, it'll give them a chance to reform and come back to toss you off the tank, but they will lose some of the progress they had built (or maybe even most of it) toward detonation.  If someone begins defusing it then they need to build it back up, or the person can finish disarming it.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Reyson said:

I think the main point was just that Mhaldor is notorious for losing for a good while. FInally winning one skirmish and shouting about weakness. Which is laughable. The mechanics should not allow for you to lose for an hour and a half and somehow "win" over one fight. Also I semi-disagree. Entrenching is a bitch to combat when you take into account gravehands, beckons out of them, ret in adjacent rooms, the fact cast aerial still doesnt respect room hinder, among many other things. If you don't have very specific classes around which seemingly aren't that popular sometimes the best counter is just flying in and having group earring unless you can get blocks adjacent for breathstream. Even then you have to ret fight if you fly in and try to push out flyers as well. Breaking arms/proning could work if sweep/dor trample wasn't the cheesiest and most useful strat seen lately in ret. I'm okay with propping in ret since I can combat that with font. I can't combat other forms of entrenching since they can all be put back up easily. I don't think disarming should take longer either. Its already silly a single serpent phased can ruin a disarm attempt. Hell 5 minutes and everyone is up and can come back. Its not that hard to get into cities. That would be cancer.
  • edited January 2018
    A lot of the complications that @Reyson mentioned are completely dealt with by the time the tank comes down. Raiders also pick the time and place, and whether or not to even place the tank at all, which are both massive factors. Also by the point the tank comes down, the aggressing team is fully entrenched and advantaged for any engagements that the defenders attempt that don't include guards or font. These advantages are very real, and the defenders solidly winning an engagement should absolutely cost the raiders their attempt at the raid. Upping disarm time to a 5 minute channel would just make it impossible.
  • edited January 2018
    Kogan said:
    Reyson said:

I think the main point was just that Mhaldor is notorious for losing for a good while. FInally winning one skirmish and shouting about weakness. Which is laughable. The mechanics should not allow for you to lose for an hour and a half and somehow "win" over one fight. Also I semi-disagree. Entrenching is a bitch to combat when you take into account gravehands, beckons out of them, ret in adjacent rooms, the fact cast aerial still doesnt respect room hinder, among many other things. If you don't have very specific classes around which seemingly aren't that popular sometimes the best counter is just flying in and having group earring unless you can get blocks adjacent for breathstream. Even then you have to ret fight if you fly in and try to push out flyers as well. Breaking arms/proning could work if sweep/dor trample wasn't the cheesiest and most useful strat seen lately in ret. I'm okay with propping in ret since I can combat that with font. I can't combat other forms of entrenching since they can all be put back up easily. I don't think disarming should take longer either. Its already silly a single serpent phased can ruin a disarm attempt. Hell 5 minutes and everyone is up and can come back. Its not that hard to get into cities. That would be cancer.
    Notorious for losing? In my timezone, Mhaldor is absolutely king of the hill, and we deliberately have to hold back people every single engagement to even get a fight. Unless you mean to say that only your timezone counts?

If you don't want to make disarming harder/reduce defensive advantages, I'm fine with keeping the system as it is until a better solution is arrived at.

Let's not pretend that 4/5 defences in Cyrene involve anything more than call for help. Dochitha admitted as much on warriors only this past Friday. Yes, people will adapt and learn what you can and can't deal with if you always try and do the same thing (and keep hitting you with stuff toy can't deal with).

Ultimately, it sounds like you guys are just pissed someone yelled something. Go gank that person, or tank Mhaldor back, or somesuch? Rangor might've said it tongue in cheek, but raiding a faction as revenge is absolutely the way to get even.

Eta: I like Torinn's idea of disarm taking away % gradually. Encourages early rush to get rid of tank right away.
  • edited January 2018
    Reyson said:
    Stuff you can read above.
    I think you're misunderstanding me. Not notorious for losing every engagement. Notorious for the times Mhaldor gets crushed by whatever means for an hour and a half and then wins a skirmish, gets a tank, and then shouts about it. It doesn't even feel like a real loss and I cant imagine it feels like a real win. Id be embarrassed if I got pushed out 2-4 times, won once, and shouted about it. Why not disarm in those 2-4 times? It takes one person to not leave and to fly around/phase/whatever to stop a disarm. Yet it takes breaking through a brick wall of cheese tactics on an entrenched group to even have the chance. Anything more than CFH? I mean. Lets not pretend Mhaldor offense involves anything more than ret/prop/tailsweep/trample/cast aerial/holocaust then. I'm surprised at the amount of shit people get for using guards, particularly from people from Mhaldor when everytime Targ raids its guard deathsights galore. Hell even saw them when Hashan raided. I'm not sure what you expect when you entrench and use cheese tactics. Nobody is pissed at a single person.  Also Calira explained why disarming doesn't need a nerf.

Edit: You weren't misunderstanding me. My wording is confusing. I meant to use a comma after "losing for a good while" and not making it a statement in itself. My bad.
  • I don't think this is the right thread to bring up that sort of stuff Kogan.

• Cooper said:
    I don't think this is the right thread to bring up that sort of stuff Kogan.
    I didn't bring it up. It was brought up above, and sure it is. Mechanics should not allow you to be the overall loser and somehow be the winner. Ever. In anything. Including raiding. I think that's fair to say and I'm sure every city at some point has been on the receiving end of crushing someone to still have a tank go off because of mechanics.
  • I have literally 0 Raiding Experience.. so I wanna preface these comments with that:

I don't know too much about the Tank mechanics, but would it be a ridiculous idea to have the raiding party able to commit X number of Tanks to a single raid, and if they are incapable of securing any destruction with those tanks, the sanction ends and they pull out? (Or they can pull out prematurely if things are going south and they don't want to waste them.)

I kind of assumed, probably wrongfully, that each tank had two timers. One that ticks up to detonation, and one that ticks down to disarm, with the disarming bar draining when being disarmed, and building at an even slower pace when nobody was working on it. (starting at 80%, or some arbitrary number). The detonation time would pause while being disarmed, but would otherwise be ticking steadily to an explosion.

It'd probably make everyone annoyed with raiding if you set an arbitrary time frame on how long you can wait before placing a tank down before it is useless and needs to be returned to the city...

Anyway, random thoughts. Again, 0 raiding experience.. so.. that's a thing. Seems a lot more fun than Aetolia's old army system, though. (waits until everyone falls asleep and marches troops around claiming all the territory)

• edited January 2018
    I'm not personally a fan of raiding more than like an hour at a time on each city unless they did something to deserve it, but wow lol the salt.

I think it's naive to say half the shit in that post when Iaki and I duod 5-6 Cyrenians including some of your experienced ones like two days ago, and rena/reyson/I generally win and we don't even have a mage. It's also naive to pretend that groups don't change--the group you 'beat' for an hour or whatever was a small one made up of mostly less experienced combatants with one or two that tried to herd them. Then Proficy came with a couple more and let's not pretend that's even the same engagement again.

However, it does highlight the issue a lot of people have, that previous defender victories have little impact on what actually ends up happening. If you try to limit sanctions too much, though, then no one's ever going to send 'probing'  numbers at first--they'll always just bring 20 people because you can't risk losing at all. Like Iaki said, though, and you're roundabout agreeing: it's up to you to interpret it as a loss or win, and it really doesn't matter that much if the two sides agree. Sure, sometimes you get Eleusis war situations, but I think in general it's more interesting if people can go back and forth on it a bit.

Still unsure on what to do about it beyond giving defenders some kind of reward/motivation for defending.
  • edited January 2018
    Kiet said:
    I'm not personally a fan of raiding more than like an hour at a time on each city unless they did something to deserve it, but wow lol the salt.

I think it's naive to say half the shit in that post when Iaki and I duod 5-6 Cyrenians including some of your experienced ones like two days ago, and rena/reyson/I generally win and we don't even have a mage. It's also naive to pretend that groups don't change--the group you 'beat' for an hour or whatever was a small one made up of mostly less experienced combatants with one or two that tried to herd them. Then Proficy came with a couple more and let's not pretend that's even the same engagement again.

However, it does highlight the issue a lot of people have, that previous defender victories have little impact on what actually ends up happening. If you try to limit sanctions too much, though, then no one's ever going to send 'probing'  numbers at first--they'll always just bring 20 people because you can't risk losing at all. Like Iaki said, though, and you're roundabout agreeing: it's up to you to interpret it as a loss or win, and it really doesn't matter that much if the two sides agree. Sure, sometimes you get Eleusis war situations, but I think in general it's more interesting if people can go back and forth on it a bit.
    You were just part of a 3 hour raid last night though. 3 hours. For what? Nobody has explained that to anyone yet as far as I know making the shout even more of a confusing capstone to it. If anything 3 hours later it should be damn near impossible to score a tank. Regardless of what's happened. I also don't know who's being counted as experienced because you dont duo 5-6 experienced fighters without some nifty strat likely involving a monk or ret. I've only had one engagement with you, Reyson, and Alrena. I remember winning that all but what was the last skirmish when you guys left. So I'm not sure when the secret ones are happening where you guys usually win with 3 people, but I don't doubt you're killing some non-coms and writing them off as more experienced. I think the problem is the constantly comparing numbers to people who know what they're doing. Dochi + 4 people. You kill Dochitha. The other few dont even know who to target likely. Now it is getting a bit off topic, but its silly to call it a different engagement if you never really left.

Edit: Either way cool stuff on the duo. Those engagements are fun when I'm around, but I'm just not sure how it invalidates the fact that you can win most skirmishes and somehow lose or makes half my post seem naive.
  • I mean, if the reverse weren't true, that might hold a little more water. 

One team can be kicking your ass up and down your city, almost at an L3 tank, and then they just have so many font stacks on them that one more CFH wipes them and they lose their tank. It works both ways, and unless you want to diminish defenders' advantages (let's be real, nothing's more 'cheese' as a tactic than banking on guards), making it harder for raiders seems a little iffy to me, when defenders already have such significant options available to them in defence. 
  • Mindshell said:
    Honestly I'd like to see the sanction mechanic go, raid commences when you place a tank, ends when you detonate or disarm it. Lots of big notification messages, no more fishing for sanction, no mandated limits on how much you can skirmish, raid frequency is throttled by tank availability.
    This is basically the old system, though.

It didn't work out, as you can see.

• Mindshell said:
    Honestly I'd like to see the sanction mechanic go, raid commences when you place a tank, ends when you detonate or disarm it. Lots of big notification messages, no more fishing for sanction, no mandated limits on how much you can skirmish, raid frequency is throttled by tank availability.
    Wasn't this how it was before? The current system is supposed to be an 'opt-in' for defenders, but I feel like a lot of people just feel like they messed up by 'feeding' the sanction. This is especially true for people already insecure about their PK abilities.

Kogan said:
    Kiet said:

You were just part of a 3 hour raid last night though. 3 hours. For what? Nobody has explained that to anyone yet as far as I know making the shout even more of a confusing capstone to it. If anything 3 hours later it should be damn near impossible to score a tank. Regardless of what's happened. I also don't know who's being counted as experienced because you dont duo 5-6 experienced fighters without some nifty strat likely involving a monk or ret. I've only had one engagement with you, Reyson, and Alrena. I remember winning that all but what was the last skirmish when you guys left. So I'm not sure when the secret ones are happening where you guys usually win with 3 people, but I don't doubt you're killing some non-coms and writing them off as more experienced. I think the problem is the constantly comparing numbers to people who know what they're doing. Dochi + 4 people. You kill Dochitha. The other few dont even know who to target likely. Now it is getting a bit off topic, but its silly to call it a different engagement if you never really left.
    I went to bed at like 9 pm yesterday so idk what you're talking about about 3 hours raids, lol. If you mean the one where Proficy and co tanked you  I was there for literally 5 seconds to meteor Keorin so you guys knew there was a raid, then I qq'd.  I'm fairly sure itwas not 3 hours but who tf knows, I wasn't there like I just said.

If Dochitha + shirszae don't count, idk what to tell you, but I also know I've got plenty of "You have slain Kogan" that didn't involve mages or ret or whatever else. You literally posted praising our tactic once on the forums when we tzantzad half of you not too long ago!

Ultimately I don't care. If Achaea's taught me anything is that no one will ever admit they lost and the current system both enables that and softens the blow, so who knows if it really needs changing.
  • Mhaldor was skirmishing with Cyrene for a really long time, and got beaten for most of it. Eventually Proficy logged on, they tried to breathrain CC and failed, then staged for a raid. I don't know how much you were a part of that Kiet, but there we go. That's what @Kogan was talking about.