Raiding Mechanics

Comments

• Cooper said:

Here is the only Cyrene attack from yesterday. 24 minutes from sanction to tank, 51 minutes from sanction to end sanction (reminder: 30 minutes from last kill to end of sanction). Apparently 24 minutes is 3 hours in Cyrene time.

2018/01/29 12:00:44 - Athalos has sanctioned a raid against The City of Cyrene.
    2018/01/29 12:05:21 - Syndra has retrieved a tank from your city's reserves.
    2018/01/29 12:24:31 - Aegoth, Athalos, Exxia, Leviticus, Lii, Proficy, and Syndra have destroyed The
    ruins of Pavilion in the Imperial gardens.
    2018/01/29 12:51:44 - The sanctioned raid in The City of Cyrene has ended.
    Don't wanna wade into all the specific arguments here, but just for some clarification, there was about two hours of skirmishing that happened outside the fight before Mhaldor hit the city proper. All in all, there were something like three engagements that happened outside the city that we won, they added proficy, then there were two that happened in the city that we lost. So at least with this fight, no one's being a liar or whatever on the details, I don't think.
  • We won a fight, lost some fights, then I ducked out and got replaced by proficy since I had promised to play Vermintide with my best friend. We were a pretty damn inexperienced group, but we gave it a number of whirls and took the losses on the chin and tried again. 
  • edited January 2018
    Minifie said:
    We lost for a good hour before we added 1 more last night. We’ve also lost or won with the numbers we’ve started and ended with, on top of ensuring we don’t add people when we are already winning. You spout some serious shit sometimes, probably best to stop it.
    No need for the vitriol. My contention specifically was that you don't 'let the defenders win', which is what @Reyson was claiming, not that nobody ever tries for fair fights ever.
  • edited January 2018
    Calira said:
    Minifie said:
    We lost for a good hour before we added 1 more last night. We’ve also lost or won with the numbers we’ve started and ended with, on top of ensuring we don’t add people when we are already winning. You spout some serious shit sometimes, probably best to stop it.
    No need for the vitriol. My contention specifically was that you don't 'let the defenders win', which is what @Reyson was claiming, not that nobody ever tries for fair fights ever.
    Your contention is wrong, unless you mean "you don't go in specifically to lose", in which case, who the fuck goes into something specifically to lose? Maybe to be even and take the loss, but to flat out lose?
  • Minifie said:
    Your contention is wrong, unless you mean "you don't go in specifically to lose", in which case, who the fuck goes into something specifically to lose? Maybe to be even and take the loss, but to flat out lose?
    It's fine that you disagree, but please don't direct such overt hostility at me. It's entirely inappropriate to accuse me of 'spouting serious shit' just because we dissent.
  • Calira said:
    Minifie said:
    It's fine that you disagree, but please don't direct such overt hostility at me. It's entirely inappropriate to accuse me of 'spouting serious shit' just because we dissent.
    I mean, if you spout shit you are spouting shit, would you prefer I say "you are spreading falsehoods purposefully"?
  • edited January 2018
    "Specifically lose" is such a funny term, because the current raiding system only acknowledges "win" and "lose". +1 to disarm ending sanction.

Edit: you're arguing whether or not Mhaldor adds players during a raid when they start to lose. Answer that
     <3 
  • edited January 2018
    Mathilda said:
    "Specifically lose" is such a funny term, because the current raiding system only acknowledges "win" and "lose". +1 to disarm ending sanction.

Edit: you're arguing whether or not Mhaldor adds players during a raid when they start to lose. Answer that
    We fought multiple times last night, adding 1 after a win, then replacing 1 for 1 later. This went on for an hour with 3 engagement losses and 0 numbers added.

This happened, whether you like it or not, even if you want to believe that we do it 100% of the time just to "be right" on a forum. You are wrong though.
  • edited January 2018
    Jarrod said:
    I could see something like:

If Sanction -> Tank placed -> Tank disarmed -> Sanction ends

"A cheer rises from <city> as the forces of <raiders> are sent home bloody and beaten."

Being a cool automatic addition.
    And maybe for the defenders, each disarmed tank replenishes the font by 25% or something?  (I will say I'm still not even fully into combat.  I just show up and try to help when there's a raid - so this might already be a thing)

I like Mindshell's (think it was his, not going back to look) idea that the sanction starts when the tank is placed - and ends when it is disarmed or blown up.  Why wouldn't that work?  If they want to regroup and come back, do so. No?

• Because then you can just infiltrate and tank a city off-peak without the city being able to really do anything about it.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited January 2018
    @Calira For the record, I'm happy to take it on the chin if we're beaten, as well as if the opponent states they don't have enough to keep going/are worn out. Two weeks ago, Kasa had people bail on him and we trimmed attacking numbers back so we fought at a disadvantage of one person, yes, after having laid and made over halfway progress to finishing a tank. We had that conversation over warriors and I'm sure the people present can testify- Minifie was actually one of the people who withdrew from Hashan. We ended up winning all the same, but frankly this "you never give defenders a chance" thing is pretty silly. 

Say "people don't usually" etc etc all you want. Making blanket absolute statements is inviting contradiction. 

ETA: re: losing, after Dochitha came and CFH'd us right off the bat, I didn't grab people to guard bash Cyrene, which I absolutely could've. We also got wiped in Eleusis a couple weeks ago and moved to skirmishing in the Ithmia/defendable rather than bringing more and setting a tank down elsewhere.
  • I'm not going to comment on the rest of it, but I do have issue with the fact that deaths = adding to a sanction. This makes players wary of actually engaging in a raid defense. Which is bad juju for encouraging raid conflict. Some of us just aren't good at it. You don't want players hesitant of even trying because they don't want to help the raiders!
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• I don't have enough popcorn for this thread. Oh man, so much salt and misconception...

worldwide for disarm is fine as long as it's aa unassuming as blowing the tank is! No need for theatrics
  • People play at different time zones, I don't agree with restricting raid hours just because it's not convenient for certain individuals. A tank is meant to stimulate conflict, if you get none that's already a penalty for the raiders as there's no joy in just standing around. You can also make it mechanically time consuming to wait out a tank that hasn't been fed, allowing time to rally a defence to go skirmish, and to disincentivise no conflict raids. But I don't see why ignoring raiders shouldn't have consequences, nor why a single tanked room is horrifying to come back to if you missed the raid. The tank being the sole win condition for both raiders and defenders would give everyone a clear objective and limit the scope of the conflict.
  • Aegoth said:
    I don't have enough popcorn for this thread. Oh man, so much salt and misconception...

worldwide for disarm is fine as long as it's aa unassuming as blowing the tank is! No need for theatrics
    You heard Aegoth! Emote must say "LOL Mhaldor just tried to raid <city> and got their asses spanked"

• I think a tank detonation should have more flair, rather than just "yay smoke", along with the disarm message.

Screams echo from $City as the forces of $AttackerCity lays waste with a tank. (Don't judge I know it's awful)
    Cheers ring out as the defenders of $City defeat the raiders from $AttackerCity.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • @Reyson appreciate that you didn't bring attempts again after the CFH, cos frankly I was tired and not in mood with defending that, and don't want to just QQ on it. You took that as a signal and acknowledged it, the game is made more fun.
  • As a fledgling defender my view is a bit skewed. It seems like there aren't counters to certain things, aside from just waiting it out. 

Then again Cyrene's defense is still learning and growing. I remember when the army would ask if people wanted to help defend, and were only met with silence. Myself being included, voiding any participation. 

Raids can be intimidating.  :#

But it's been fun jumping into the fray lately. When we're organised, fights are more engaging for everyone. When we're taxed and frustrated, things fall apart. Something each city experiences. 

I do wish things were a bit more involved for both parties. Different kind of sanctions for certain tactics.  =)
    "Alas. Alas for Hamlin. The Mayor sent east, west, north, and south. To offer the Piper by word of mouth. Wherever it was men's lot to find him, silver and gold to his heart's content. If only he'd return the way he went."
  • While I dislike that defenders are disincentivised from bringing people who don't know what to do, and I have been yelled at before for being killed and 'feeding a sanction', I think it is better than the alternatives suggested.

I still like the idea that tanks have specific descriptions for each city, with unique global announcements for explosion/disarm though.
  • I actually think I'd enjoy Mindshell's idea a lot more than the current system. The only issue I see is giving defenders enough time to come back to the plane/continent, etc., group up, plan, and engage, which under the current system they can do without a ticking timer because of sanction. But making tanks just passively charge a lot slower would probably solve that. Or making them not start passively charging immediately when placed.
  • Aerek said:
    RE: Entrenchment: I agree that it's odd that the defense is usually the side faced with rooting out an entrenched opponent. 
    There's nothing unusual about this at all. When you get down to it, raiders are basically just terrorists bombing insecure locations. If terrorists took over the local library next to me, the police would have to try to get them out of it. 

Also, I dislike that kind of 'random target' set up for raiding because it puts a lot of the raid success onto the RNG, so much so that it could become the prime determinant of raid success. It would suck to get a raid group together and then draw something you don't have a chance of tanking, just like it would suck to get a strong raid group together and then get restricted to tanking East Bumfuck Alley.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Right, it intentionally shifts that aspect of the raid out of the raiders' hands. Raiders get to pick when to raid, who to raid with, where to raid, and get to setup there first. If you want raids to be more appealing for the defense, you'll have to remove *some* aspect of the raiders' control over the engagement. (Defenders' primary means of control is guards, but using them is considered lame by the raiders.) That does mean that a raid could be doomed from the start by a particularly difficult location roll, but I don't find that unreasonable when raiders get to chose everything else. (Try another roll later.) Terrorists attacking insecure locations of their choosing is an accurate description of most Achaean raids, but is that an ideal game dynamic?

Besides, in most of the raids I saw, East Bumfuck Alley was the target of choice regardless of group size. If it was ever important to gather a big group and tank a specific location, I feel like Someone Powerful could arrange that.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I don't wanna get a sanction only to be told to take Stygian. :pensive:

• What if there are a list of 5-10 core locations that was chosen from?
  • It could pick based on distance from (stationary?) guards
  • Or once it has been chosen guards can't be moved there since everyone hates guards being used in raids anyway, maybe make fonts have double effect in the room to compensate or something.
  • Tank the room behind this door. This door has been magically locked by the city.

Random tank location would be such a catastrophe.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."