Quick Combat Questions

Comments

• Kenway said:
    Autoslick is a common curing priority swap where if you have asthma, paralysis and slickness, you will cure asthma first even if you have paralysis set higher. This stops things like gecko bypass on parry and a few very fast 50/50 lock methods from certain classes. No idea what Alexa is.
    If you cure asthma first then you'd still be paralysed? Does paralysis not stop parry anymore? 
  • Kenway said:
    Autoslick is a common curing priority swap where if you have asthma, paralysis and slickness, you will cure asthma first even if you have paralysis set higher. This stops things like gecko bypass on parry and a few very fast 50/50 lock methods from certain classes. No idea what Alexa is.
    Prioritising asthma over paralysis if you have slickness is far worse at preventing gecko parry bypass than not doing it (though the other reasons to do it vastly outweigh this, especially with the nausea parry bypass now). Bloodroot having a 50% chance to cure paralysis is better than kelp having a 0% chance to cure paralysis; if you eat bloodroot you might be paralysed and unable to parry, if you eat kelp you will be paralysed and unable to parry (and your opponent will definitely know this, rather than having to gamble on hitting parry).

I had no idea that people called it "autoslick". Is that taken from the name of a config option in a curing system or is it a Cyrenian thing (since so far I've only seen it used by two people, both of which did most of their fighting in Cyrene).
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    It's the name of the svo setting. Ive never heard any actual nomenclature for it. Yeah i had the bypass backwards it gives 100% chance to bypass parry with paralysis but it negates the rng lock you get with eating blood root in that situation.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • Kelp stacks into para gecko are usually the scenario it's used for. If it's 3 kelp and you're a non fitness class, bloodroot is best because it's 50/50 to stop a lock aff or allow a tree touch. If only two kelps and one is asthma, I would still bloodroot, though. As a fitness class I tend to just eat kelps so I can either cure asthma or weary and fitness the asthma. It all really depends on if you prefer to push offense as a form of defense or if you're willing to drop momentum to avoid a lock IMO. 

• edited February 2017
    Antonius said:
    Kenway said:
    Prioritising asthma over paralysis if you have slickness is far worse at preventing gecko parry bypass than not doing it (though the other reasons to do it vastly outweigh this, especially with the nausea parry bypass now). Bloodroot having a 50% chance to cure paralysis is better than kelp having a 0% chance to cure paralysis; if you eat bloodroot you might be paralysed and unable to parry, if you eat kelp you will be paralysed and unable to parry (and your opponent will definitely know this, rather than having to gamble on hitting parry).

I had no idea that people called it "autoslick". Is that taken from the name of a config option in a curing system or is it a Cyrenian thing (since so far I've only seen it used by two people, both of which did most of their fighting in Cyrene).
    If your a momentum class it isn't parry you care about its the complete shutdown that is gonna wreck you. 
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • edited February 2017
    Kenway said:
    It's the name of the svo setting. Ive never heard any actual nomenclature for it. Yeah i had the bypass backwards it gives 100% chance to bypass parry with paralysis but it negates the rng lock you get with eating blood root in that situation.
    vconfig autoslick. Yeah, I learned it from @Kenway, so 2 Cyrenians.. lol 

I believe @Aerek and @Kandra talked about them too. So 4 Cyrenians...

Autoslick used to affect affliction progression esp against aff classes like serpent / appy / even venoms for the knights, I can't recall how... I just came back to the game... 
  • I only do kelp swaps if a fitness class, like Dunn said. Otherwise, it's really suicide.
  • I'm still low tier.. after 13 years. I just keep trying to kill them, hoping they don't use fitness in time. 

• Borran said:
    I'm still low tier.. after 13 years. I just keep trying to kill them, hoping they don't use fitness in time. 
    Stack kelp. Lots of kelp. Like alllll the kelp. Then hit asthma and weariness again just in case. Then stack more kelp. Cos fuck those guys.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Xaden said:
    Borran said:
    I'm still low tier.. after 13 years. I just keep trying to kill them, hoping they don't use fitness in time. 
    Stack kelp. Lots of kelp. Like alllll the kelp. Then hit asthma and weariness again just in case. Then stack more kelp. Cos fuck those guys.
    This plus a double arm setup is exactly what @Lyrin used to lock me. :(
  • edited February 2017
    You don't pre-cache herbs?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • You don't pre-cache herbs?
    I do, but he actually soft locked me by stacking faster than I could eat. The arms just prevent tree/shield. Pretty interesting combo's, reviewing them right now :)
  • edited February 2017
    nvm   
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Ahmet said:
    Brought on by your comment, I thought mutilate was psychic dmg, thus not affected by armour?

My god I need to stop testing abilities at 4am.
    For future reference, the act of shredding someone's shadow, which I thought would imply either cutting or psychic, is actually blunt damage.
    Huh. Neat.
  • So, how do people deal with depthswalkers who just go for instill retribution/timeloop into dictate? There's nothing I can do priority-wise to stop them from hitting the capstone every swing, shielding slows them, but they still outpace sip balance substantially, with retribution/justice providing even more health pressure.

Do I just need to super slow prep and try and get out of distort every 3-4 hits?
  • Keorin, as a monk you have options.

Try going dragon stance and shielding if the pressure gets to high.  Also, you have kai heal.  Use it liberally and focus on mana if need be.  I was having some issue with it too, and sure I can't beat Driden still, but not having a limb counter sorta screws that over.
  • edited February 2017
    Slow prep and gamble on distort rng with the dashing artie. You can't outshield a good DW's momentum.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Monk has some damned good stalling abilities, I'm just trying to see if I overlooked any not so class specific things. I do play other classes now and again!

Shield alone definitely doesn't cut it, though, since it's not like I can fall back on on a priority swap, and my mana sips will still get outpaced substantially. The problem is that even if health wasn't a factor, the guaranteed capstone hits will always outpace my mana gain.
  • Dragon stance and hold down enter on mind paralyse.

• Keorin said:
    Monk has some damned good stalling abilities, I'm just trying to see if I overlooked any not so class specific things. I do play other classes now and again!

Shield alone definitely doesn't cut it, though, since it's not like I can fall back on on a priority swap, and my mana sips will still get outpaced substantially. The problem is that even if health wasn't a factor, the guaranteed capstone hits will always outpace my mana gain.
    Wrong. In dragon stance you shield for roughly 2.9 seconds of balance. Which is more than enough to get ahead of herbs and capstone pressure. Your issue is that you wait to long to shield. Go dragon when your mana is about 1.5 capstone from dictate. Shield while focusing mana. Asking as you didn't wait to long you come out on top. This is also how dw vs dw goes. No whinning from monks!
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • edited February 2017
    For the love of...
    Keorin said:
    Monk has some damned good stalling abilities, I'm just trying to see if I overlooked any not so class specific things. I do play other classes now and again!
    I'm well aware of my class' abilities, even if my utilization of them is sub-par at best. Monk answers tend to be similar across a wide swath of classes, and so I was trying to get a more general sense of how one answers these sorts of depthswalker strategies, because while I have decent knowledge of my own class, I'm not very familiar with balance and matchups and counters outside of it.

If we're talking about what monk brings to the table, dragon stanced shield is only a small part of the picture, besides.
  • edited February 2017
    Fighting monk as any momentum class blows. Quick breaks on top of dragon+ batter/disrupt/paralyse/cripple etc is annoying as fuck.

If only stupidity was easier to stick for most classes.
  • Keorin said:
    For the love of...
    Keorin said:
    I'm well aware of my class' abilities, even if my utilization of them is sub-par at best. Monk answers tend to be similar across a wide swath of classes, and so I was trying to get a more general sense of how one answers these sorts of depthswalker strategies, because while I have decent knowledge of my own class, I'm not very familiar with balance and matchups and counters outside of it.

If we're talking about what monk brings to the table, dragon stanced shield is only a small part of the picture, besides.

You should always look to what your class brings to the table for survival. Non-class abilities are rarely ever going to be enough other than chance room hinder and run away.

So if not monk, we'd need to know what class you're looking to defend as.
    Wait just a fuckin second. Does preempt go through while dooming someone?
    Huh. Neat.
  • Was originally bugged. The movement would end doom but it wouldn't kill them. Not sure how it currently functions, but it should either not work or immediately kill you.
  • How long is boosted doom?
  • 8s if they're not aeoned, unless it's been changed in the past couple months. 
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
    Can someone explain to me why the fek preempt didn't go through here?
    Huh. Neat.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Ahmet said:
    Can someone explain to me why the fek preempt didn't go through here?
    Can't figure it out just from glancing. However, distortion and pre-empt don't work together, so it might have been that. I mean, you can pre-empt while in a distortion, but you won't follow them if they manage to step out. Only when you catch up to them.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

Ah, that's it. Thanks @Shirszae!
    Huh. Neat.