Quick Combat Questions

Comments

• I'm the type that does enjoy figuring things out on my own, and having some obscure mechanics to discover, but lacking the most basic information about what an ability even does isn't my idea of fun or interesting. It shouldn't take someone more than a RL year and a lot of asking around and testing to figure out what something does (that's not even hyperbole, it took me that long to find out what grove watch did when I was new, and apparently nobody in Eleusis or the Druids guild knew either).
  • Kesher said:
    In Aetolia, I know balance and equilibrium weren't (at the time I played) trackable through gmcp during blackout.   Was kinda hoping we could track them here.
    Any information that's normally accessible via GMCP should be available only be unavailable during blackout if blackout also prevents you from getting it by other means, I believe. 
  • Thank you

• I'm considering trading in my level 2 band to change classes.  I'll not have the credits for another artifact after the change, though.  So my question is, what's a decent class (available in Targossas) for a pvp addict who can't afford offensive arties?  
  • Does Targ still ban shaman? Shaman works, so does jester if you're good.
  • edited April 2016
    Kiet said:
    Does Targ still ban shaman? Shaman works, so does jester if you're good.
    Nope, haven't banned shaman for ages. As in, before I was even Dawnlord, which was months ago

• Bro if you were dawnlord you wouldn't be active don't lie to me.
  • If you want a challenge with a very high payoff, you could consider priest. If you don't have an artefact mace, you shouldn't feel the lack of a diadem very keenly (if at all, depending on how you invest your traits).

As Kiet mentioned, shaman and jester are both options, though I can't recommend jester in good faith as given how broken many aspects of the class are it could change fairly drastically as soon as someone decides to classlead it (or I find some free time to sit down with the boss man to talk over it between other projects). Its honestly a bit of a mess at this point.

Paladin remains a very good unartefacted class, though its maximum potential definitely has some inherent artefact gates due to the existence of artefact weapons. If you're the kind of person who likes to switch things up every so often though, the spec based system could offer you a lot of choice, with definite artefact enhancement down the road if that's something you see happening in the future.

Of course, the big one missing from the list so far is alchemist. Very strong unartefacted, though you generally either love it or hate it from the get go.

• 'downside' to Shaman, is you pretty much -have- to attune maligus/teraile versus anyone competent. They're significantly better than any other attunement, when it comes to combat... Binds on the other hand, are a different story. But even then you really only get to swap 1 or 2. Tether is fun to play with tho.

• edited April 2016
    I'd pick alchemist (momentum), shaman (prep + semi-momentum), or jester (trick/prep) for best unartied at the moment, depending on your preferred style.
  • @Cynlael don't worry about needing Maligus or not, that's just a personal choice. Teraile though is pretty necessary in most PvP situations yes.
  • @Amranu you know what, back then, invoke bloodlet cures away all the ginseng affs causing bleeding that ticks for so long. Now, invoke bloodlet causes 100 bleeding per ginseng aff, and DOES NOT cure away the ginseng affs! I hope I am wrong.
  • Bloodlet doesn't cause bleeding scaling to affs. It's a flat amount.
    Haemophilia if no haemophilia present,
    Lots of bleeding if haemophilia is present.

• edited April 2016
    Well, my theory got kinda shaken with the jinx change. Bloodlet invoke was a lot less important back then, but the passive bleeding for coagulate purposes was significantly more so.

I mean, one could make the argument that the Jinx change made it easier to switch out Teraile now. There was always a problem where not having Teraile bound precluded the possibility of doing certain locks, especially the dreaded coagulate/soulscourge lock I used to love to pull off. With that particular combo essentially neutered, there's more leeway in combat bindings I would think.
  • Does higher dex = faster balance gain?
  • Aesh said:
    Does higher dex = faster balance gain?
    Only for serpents, and only for some abilities.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Dochitha said:
    2h has more options in combat, gives you more control over combat and handle more situations.
    Eeeehhhhh... unless a lot has changed while I've been gone, I'd say DwB has more widespread usability especially as infernal. IMO each knight class kinda pairs best with two of the specs IE

Infernal - Dual Blunt/Dual Cutting
    Paladin - 2h/Snb
    Runie - Snb/Dual Cutting

That's my experience though, others may vary.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Would agree with that, except that Runewarden gets the most mileage out of 2H/DWB. Runie does well as any spec, but hugalaz is a game-changer for those two styles that the other knights can't match.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • If softfocus worth dumping lessons into vision for? When totems were explained to me, I was told about how multiple eyes are used - with people making totem setups in reaction to softfocus, is softfocus still effective?
  • It's great for raiding. Works on implanted totems, not propped or ground runes.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • If you're clever about metawake, you don't really need softfocus. I've not got it on Anedhel yet and I do okay!
  • Transfix is the bigger issue
  • Huh?

Not getting proned or Transfixed makes a world of difference.

Metawake doesn't keep you from getting proned.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited April 2016
    Skipping prone sometimes is nice, for sure. There're a couple times it would've saved me from axekicks or BBTs or whatever, but most of the time, unless you're first target all the time, you should be fine if you wake up and writhe quick! 

ETA: You gotta be super duper lucky to skip transfix on a 3 wunjo/3 nairat totem, but I think I saw a few people get away with being tentacled and just duanathar away a couple times. Sadpanda. 
  • It's not only about defense too.

You'd be surprised what you can do while transfixed but not prone :)

• @Mizik doesn't have softfocus. Should have seen his face when he ate a Lucrescent nut and finally had trans abilities. Was presh

• Question - does broken torso add to writhe time off impale?

He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Just legs, I'm pretty sure. Broken torso only increases it in Imperian. (don't quote me on the first part)

• Don't think so, just limb breaks

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Legs and arms, yeah. Not torso or head.