Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Classleads

Comments

• FarrahFarrah Posts: 1,953Member, Secret Squirrel @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'd be wary of that approach. I like the overall complexity things like entrenchment, totems/ret, LoS, icewall/firewall/douse, timewell, bombs, etc. provide. When I tried Aetolia, and everyone just immediately melees, every single fight, it seemed really boring to me.
    ShirszaeVender
  • CaelanCaelan Posts: 1,129Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited April 2017
    Frederich said:
    Kai choke has a readily available defense that stops it, entirely.  (idk how staffcast hits away.  Cataclysm???)

Breathstream & Bows are pretty much the bane of existence as we've seen time and time and time again with Eleusians.  No way to stop it aside from just not playing their LoS game and bumrushing the living hell out of them. It's not fun in the slightest to play against.

Anyways.  I think 6 and 31 were the ones I did.
    Wouldn't like.. shield, stonewall, timewarp, icewall, etc be "a readily available defense that stops" bow?

Or just.. move?

CooperShirszaeKyrra
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna bePosts: 3,370Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 2017
    Walls stop LoS?

I mean, you'd think that would make sense but I'm pretty sure I've LoS'd past a wall before. Maybe it was a bug, or just one type of LoS. I dunno.
    Huh. Neat.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoPosts: 3,002Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 2017
    Walls make arrows much more inaccurate.

ETA: And stop BReathstream entirely, I believe.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

That's one change I wouldn't mind, though - if ice/stonewalls indiscriminately stopped all LoS rather than stopping some, making some less accurate, and not affecting some. I think it's fair to have to kill the wall if you want to attack from afar.
    Issam
    edited April 2017
    Would that include monk telepathy? Thurisaz? Those are Los too, no? So the same problem is going to remain regardless. Personally, I think its fine that there's no one ring solution to everything Los-wise.

Farrah said:
    That's one change I wouldn't mind, though - if ice/stonewalls indiscriminately stopped all LoS rather than stopping some, making some less accurate, and not affecting some. I think it's fair to have to kill the wall if you want to attack from afar.
    Pretty sure the point there is that, in most cases, that would completely shut down LoS and force entrenchment, which kind of destroys the dynamic of some fighting.

edited April 2017
    Shirszae said:
    Would that include monk telepathy? Thurisaz? Those are Los too, no? So the same problem is going to remain regardless. Personally, I think its fine that there's no one ring solution to everything Los-wise.

Fair. I think thurisaz and crush are fine because of flood and the mind lock requirement.

But Kai Choke doesn't really have a reasonable counter in many situations (can't stay on balance to keep breath held), so I wouldn't mind wall stopping that. And I don't think dopplegangers really have a counter. You can banishment (Targ only) or orb, but both of those things don't even keep the doppleganger from attacking first. I'm not sure what else - I may be missing others that aren't stopped by walls.

Meteors/cataclysm you can go indoors. I'm not sure that's a reasonable counter though either.

Caelan said:
    Farrah said:
    Pretty sure the point there is that, in most cases, that would completely shut down LoS and force entrenchment, which kind of destroys the dynamic of some fighting.

Not exactly. It just means you need a designated wall breaker if you want to LoS and the other side is smart enough to douse your firewalls and wall. I think that's fair, rather than LoS just reigning supreme.
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaPosts: 6,276Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I don't even consider projectile LoS as a danger anymore. If you have a magi or a depthswalker, it's flat out countered. Things like breathstream, grove lightning, anthius, mind crush/choke are what you worry about these days. Must feel bad to have a Lupine these days.
    AsmodronCaelan
  • AralayaAralaya Posts: 1,062Member @ - Epic Achaean
    I mean, you also need to watch out for your allies breathraining you

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    OmorAerek
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaPosts: 6,276Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    The really scary thing about anthius in particular is that absolutely nothing stops it, so if you get like 6 shamans adjacent to someone and get them to press a button, the person they're targeting dies.
  • KyrraKyrra Sanctum of the SkyPosts: 4,659Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Thurisaz isn't really LoS it's just got a three room range now. As long as you're within range of the target you can use it from anywhere, including around corners etc
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• AnedhelAnedhel Posts: 2,367Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 2017
    I was always in favor of arrows doing scaling damage if you're hit with many in a row. That discourages evading/solo sniping during melees, which is a dumb way to die, and a volley will still kill you. Let's face it: anytime people coordinate things well and hit you with something well timed, it really ought to hurt. 
    AccipiterCaelan
  • JonathinJonathin Retirement hole.Posts: 3,292Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @Aegoth

They did worldwide cata once. The lols were real.

My site will remain up, but will not be maintained. The repository will continue to have scripts added to it if I decide to play another game. Maybe I'll see you around in Starmourn!
    Tutorials and scripts  The Repository

Ahmet said:
    Walls stop LoS?

I mean, you'd think that would make sense but I'm pretty sure I've LoS'd past a wall before. Maybe it was a bug, or just one type of LoS. I dunno.
    Wall don't stop bows, by they hinder accuracy p bad. Even with my lupine, aiming, and snipe I miss once in a while.

My site will remain up, but will not be maintained. The repository will continue to have scripts added to it if I decide to play another game. Maybe I'll see you around in Starmourn!

Caelan
  • AegothAegoth Posts: 2,488Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Jonathin said:
    @Aegoth

my first character was a cyrenian cata magi in 2002 :p
    ShirszaeJonathinSobriquet
  • DalranDalran Posts: 227Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited April 2017
    The continuous wall fights are more boring than the LoS itself imo, the scaling thing is interesting. Or just lower LoS damage as a whole by some percent
    Shirszae
  • KenwayKenway San FranciscoPosts: 1,130Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Is DW the only class that can extinguish firewalls?

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • CaliraCalira Posts: 504Member, Secret Squirrel ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited April 2017
    Kenway said:
    Survival has Dousing, which lets anyone do it
  • TaryiusTaryius Posts: 413Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Necromancers have Chill, which can be used on a firewall to douse it
    Calira said:
    Kenway said:
    Survival has Dousing, which lets anyone do it
    The mental picture of people hauling buckets of water trough raids and such is somewhat amusing. 

Bann
  • AnedhelAnedhel Posts: 2,367Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Pff, plebs. Fluvian jars are where it's at!
    KyrraAerekBann
  • AsmodronAsmodron Posts: 2,495Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 2017
    Daeir said:
    I don't even consider projectile LoS as a danger anymore. If you have a magi or a depthswalker, it's flat out countered. Things like breathstream, grove lightning, anthius, mind crush/choke are what you worry about these days. Must feel bad to have a Lupine these days.
    I basically said the same thing some time ago. Timewell basically shuts down arrows. A number of times i bring my lupine out only to see the shot countered. It is pretty common defense these days to just pop a timewell up, especially with the amount of DW.

Only times I use lupine these days is for small skirmishes or assassination attempts. Seems to always come about being a failure in raids
  • AtalkezAtalkez Posts: 4,702Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Daeir said:

I don't know about that. Timewell might be a good counter, but once it's gone, you're back in the same boat. Not to mention if you ever have a situation where you don't have a DW. Retardation isn't exactly a good counter, since that hamstrings your own offense and defensive capabilities in the room too.

You hug Aurora compassionately.
    Farrah said:
    Caelan said:
    Farrah said:

Not exactly. It just means you need a designated wall breaker if you want to LoS and the other side is smart enough to douse your firewalls and wall. I think that's fair, rather than LoS just reigning supreme.
    This is already the case, if you want to use bow or other LoS stopped by wall.

Jonathin said:
    @Aegoth

That is how cata originally worked.  I remember being in Shallam when Magi came out and wondering how the hell I was being hit by people in Ashtan.  Insane!

• CooperCooper IowaPosts: 4,455Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Worldwide cata was pretty much the bane of my existence for a while. Could not walk outside ungraced without a 94% chance of getting cata teamed. It was terrible.

CaelanJonathin
    Was hilarious. Sitting up in the Warlock observatory just super young me being happy that I was included.

Caelan
  • AlaskarAlaskar Posts: 393Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    See: announce post 702

Sign In to Comment.