Achaean Raves

Comments

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    edited December 2014
    I'm surprised they let you customise an artefact bow into a crossbow. They would not let me make Spectacles of White Sight into Pince-nez.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I actually had to change the name of the shield, which I found odd since the default is Shield of Absorption, so went with 'a tenebrous shield of crystal' instead.

• Kresslack said:
    I actually had to change the name of the shield, which I found odd since the default is Shield of Absorption, so went with 'a tenebrous shield of crystal' instead.
    But the bow? If they're allowing that now I may actually get one, but they've denied it at least twice before (violates customisation guidelines).

edited December 2014
    Trey said:
    Kresslack said:
    But the bow? If they're allowing that now I may actually get one, but they've denied it at least twice before (violates customisation guidelines).
    I'm not sure why a crossbow customisation request wouldn't be allowed, unless there were certain things about it they didn't approve (maybe trying to have it be a named weapon like the Epicurus Bow or something). I made sure to make it Achaean relevant, and they -do- sell crossbows in archery shops so I never considered it would be an issue.

Edit: I'm not sure what other people have as a process for designing and sending in customisation requests, but for any interested it helps to understand what you're making and the different parts of it. For instance, with this crossbow, I looked up a medieval schematic that broke down the parts of the crossbow and implemented what I felt made sense and described it better (i.e. using 'lath' instead of 'bow' for the arms).

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Kresslack said:
    Trey said:
    Kresslack said:
    I'm not sure why a crossbow customisation request wouldn't be allowed, unless there were certain things about it they didn't approve (maybe trying to have it be a named weapon like the Epicurus Bow or something). I made sure to make it Achaean relevant, and they -do- sell crossbows in archery shops so I never considered it would be an issue.

Edit: I'm not sure what other people have as a process for designing and sending in customisation requests, but for any interested it helps to understand what you're making and the different parts of it. For instance, with this crossbow, I looked up a medieval schematic that broke down the parts of the crossbow and implemented what I felt made sense and described it better (i.e. using 'lath' instead of 'bow' for the arms).
    I think @Trey means this : - Descriptions may not change the basic nature of the thing.
                     (so a sword must remain a sword, and not an epee, e.g.)
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Kresslack said:
    Trey said:
    Kresslack said:
    Items can always get less complicated,  but not more. A longsword can become a sword,  but plate can't become breastplate,  for an example. 

edited December 2014
    Tharvis said:
    Kresslack said:
    Trey said:
    Kresslack said:

I think @Trey means this : - Descriptions may not change the basic nature of the thing.
    I think that might be a bit of a grey area and it may just depend on who reviews the request. Crossbows and bows are pretty comparable, not just that they are both projectile weapons. A sling(shot) is also a projectile weapon, but it wouldn't make sense to customise a bow into a slingshot. Crossbows and bows are both archery weapons though, so for me it makes sense (and after reading this I'm really glad it go approved, for whatever reason).

Edit: On the archery scale, crossbow seems to be the less complicated (for whatever reason) version of the bow, as using crossbows is a skill obtainable prior to darkbows. I'm really not sure, but if you want a crossbow apparently now is the time to put in for it.

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    iirc, crossbows do more dmg than bows do. I think that's why they denied 99% of people from getting them (You're literally the -only- person I've heard of getting bow turned into crossbow now)
    edited December 2014
    Daslin said:
    iirc, crossbows do more dmg than bows do. I think that's why they denied 99% of people from getting them (You're literally the -only- person I've heard of getting bow turned into crossbow now)
    Crossbows did slightly more damage than bows, but had a slightly longer balance, if I'm not mistaken. Even then, I would always use a crossbow instead, simply because I liked the idea of lugging around and using one more than I did that of a bow. The customisation request, however, in no way alters the aspects of the weapon itself, other than the description. I really have no idea why I'm apparently the only one to get this, and never thought it would be an issue, hence my request submission. I guess someone could issue themselves if they want specifics. Either way, I like it a lot.

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    IG crossbows have different mechanics and, if IIRC, their own projectiles(bolts) apart from standard bows.
    Vayne said:
    IG crossbows have different mechanics and, if IIRC, their own projectiles(bolts) apart from standard bows.
    Bolts I've only seen in Genji, iirc, but you can use crossbows with quivers and arrows just like you would a normal bow.

• Kresslack said:
    Tharvis said:
    Kresslack said:
    Trey said:
    Kresslack said:

I think that might be a bit of a grey area and it may just depend on who reviews the request. Crossbows and bows are pretty comparable, not just that they are both projectile weapons. A sling(shot) is also a projectile weapon, but it wouldn't make sense to customise a bow into a slingshot. Crossbows and bows are both archery weapons though, so for me it makes sense (and after reading this I'm really glad it go approved, for whatever reason).

Edit: On the archery scale, crossbow seems to be the less complicated (for whatever reason) version of the bow, as using crossbows is a skill obtainable prior to darkbows. I'm really not sure, but if you want a crossbow apparently now is the time to put in for it.
    "Simple" or "complicated" is in reference to the word itself, not the item. You can customise a darkbow into a bow, but not vice versa; no reason the same rule wouldn't apply to crossbows.
    You have a considerable amount of freedom in customising the description of an 
    item, but one thing is required. Whatever its base word is, it must remain the 
    same, and it must appear in both the short_desc and the long_desc. A "rose" 
    must remain a "rose", not a "daisy" or a "saddle" or even a "primrose". A 
    "falcon" must remain a "falcon", not a "warhawk" or a "gyrfalcon". A "darkbow" 
    must remain a "darkbow", not a "crossbow". The base word is generally whatever 
    it appears as in INFO INV while you are holding it, or INFO HERE while it is on
    the ground.
    There is one exception, and that is if you are making the base word MORE simple
    while retaining the nature of the item, not more complicated. For example, you 
    CAN customise a "darkbow" as a "bow," but you cannot customise a "bow" (that is
    not a darkbow) as a "darkbow." Similarly, you could customise a "shortsword" as
    a "sword" but not as a "longsword" or "scimitar".
  • SharaShara Midlands
    Tharvis said:
    You pet a miniature snowy owl ingratiatingly.
    A miniature snowy owl regards you solemnly, large eyes full of trust.

d'awwwwww (sorry @Shara, IT IS MINE)
    Vasriia bought me one! HA.
    thoughtyouweremybestestmentor!

@ryldagh is back in the #1 spot.
    shhyouwerealways#1bb.don'thousedisfavourme.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Kresslack said:
    Daslin said:
    Crossbows did slightly more damage than bows, but had a slightly longer balance, if I'm not mistaken. Even then, I would always use a crossbow instead, simply because I liked the idea of lugging around and using one more than I did that of a bow. The customisation request, however, in no way alters the aspects of the weapon itself, other than the description. I really have no idea why I'm apparently the only one to get this, and never thought it would be an issue, hence my request submission. I guess someone could issue themselves if they want specifics. Either way, I like it a lot.
    Oh, I know the custom doesn't do anything to the abilities, it was just that people used to assume crossbow=more ouch. So, I can easily see why they'd not allow it because it'd causes the assumption. I'm not saying it's wrong, just amused that you got it, while other people were told no left and right for years.
  • Eld said:
    "Simple" or "complicated" is in reference to the word itself, not the item. You can customise a darkbow into a bow, but not vice versa; no reason the same rule wouldn't apply to crossbows.
    Yeah, even customising an artefact bow into a longbow has been denied, a crossbow definitely wouldn't be allowed normally.

Although in the past they have been occasionally willing to change the base item type of an artefact for 500+ credits.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    All this talk about Crossbows made me one to go and get one. Except...wait, where do they actually sell crossbows? I know I've seen them, but can't remember where for the life of me

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

Shirszae said:
    All this talk about Crossbows made me one to go and get one. Except...wait, where do they actually sell crossbows? I know I've seen them, but can't remember where for the life of me
    Any archery shop in a city should offer them.

• Big raves for @Aodfionn and @Dairune for putting up with my crap all the time. I swear your patience seems endless at times. 

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Submitted my customisation for a recently bought silver whistle. Excited to see if I do get the customisation messages I want!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• edited December 2014
    finally found for forums to post nice things about people in! Hopefully... Anyways, raves for:
    @Nessy for the cute lil' owl I want to name Hedwig, and the tastiest text cookies EVER!
    and @Jei for being just an awesome true newb who's been a super good buddy! (even if rams do charge in and headbutt you every time we try to talk) I'd go on, and talk about more people but think then I'd need to write an essay and no one needs textual diarrhea :D
  • Bade said:
    I just want to say thanks to all those in Hashan willing to answer my probably idiotic questions about combat, I was really frustrated at first but the support I getting is really helping, especially you @ Balkin Its going to be a long road but I feel that I will get there eventually.
    Rave for @Bade because you remind me of the Bade. 
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited December 2014
    Dalran said:
    Rave @Melodie‌ for making me actually feel comfortable to RP at when I sound stupid :)
    You don't sound stupid at all, you just know how to bite off more than you can chew. Which isn't a bad thing, either. :)

Looking forward to more debates and discussions!

Edit: Also, a small rave towards @Micositu, who actually suddenly started adding in his own thoughts during the discussion. It is always a pleasant surprise to see people I mostly regard as fighters actually be able (and willing!) to discuss concepts well and debate a bit on their own. Please, keep surprising me, I like being wrong in this instance!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Whee, raiding/defending. First combat anything.
  • edited December 2014
  • Tibitha said:
    Well said.
    Okk tells you, "You 'woof'ed on a house channel in a conversation with the Lord Bard."

• I just feel bad for novices who attempt the quest without mending/restoration.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~