Mining and Legions

Comments

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Gamden said:
    Thanks Tharvis!

It would be great if they regenerated random number mines, for instance 3 now and maybe next time only 1...otherwise people with mines will now exactly when respawning takes place?

@Gamden even if you know exactly when the respawning takes place, look at the number of areas. Sure, you can camp an area with the POSSIBILITY of that lode spawning ( this won't be very effective) there'll be other people doing the same, and it's not guaranteed it spawns in the same area. For example, Right now there is no Ice in the Fissure of Echoes, so if a lode of ice vanishes from the S. Vashnars, you have about a 50% chance for it to spawn again in the S. Vashnars(25% * 2 locations), 25% to spawn in the Fissure, and 25% to spawn in the siroccians

and this is also the type with the fewest possible locations to appear.
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Daeir said:
    Hard-gating people interested in the system from participating in it, both by the lack of locations to prospect, and the complete inability for anyone who doesn't have a claim to train their squads in to actually do anything is a surefire way to drive people away from what seems to be an otherwise interesting system.

A shame, really.

It's the first day. Offer some suggestions on how to fix the system instead of repeating what's already been discussed bud!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
    one thing I do wonder, @Sarapis, is there a cap on how many soldiers you can send to attack a specific sized mine? To avoid 50 squads attacking a small mine for example.

• Managed to get a mine up last night just before going to bed.

Miscalculated my upkeep (I was away longer than expected).

Medium mine collapsed taking everything with it. :cry: 
    In a way, @Daeir, if you see the % going up slowly you can assume they have alot of soldiers and minimal miners. If you see the % going up quickly? Hit that thing because it's maxed on miners and minimal soldiers.

• LoalaineLoalaine England
    edited July 2015

Message #881        Sent by Achaea
    7/17/12:40 1 a chunk of chalky grey mineral and 1976 coal was transferred from your mine to your 
    inventory. This was after the local stronghold took a 5% tithe of 104 coal.

@Sarapis @Tecton is there some sort of notification to tell you if you were the first person to mine a rare mineral?
    just reported the following, keep this one in mind

*******************************[  Bug Details  ]*******************************
    Bug ID: 21050
    Category: Unassigned               Status: Untested

Report Text: 
    BUY <number> SQUAD#### only buys one squad and consumed gold as if you bought the mentioned number. 
    Similarly, if you try to buy a squad and it'd bring your legion number above "1000 strong" it does 
    give a failure message but also consumes the gold

I do wonder though, how much better would people find the building mines if the mines cost stone and wood instead of iron and wood?

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Tharvis said:
    just reported the following, keep this one in mind

*******************************[  Bug Details  ]*******************************
    Bug ID: 21050
    Category: Unassigned               Status: Untested

Report Text: 
    BUY <number> SQUAD#### only buys one squad and consumed gold as if you bought the mentioned number. 
    Similarly, if you try to buy a squad and it'd bring your legion number above "1000 strong" it does 
    give a failure message but also consumes the gold
    Oh crap I didn't notice this.  P sure the thing's eaten some of my gold already.  I was too busy trying to figure it out to realise.

• Tharvis said:

When I tried it about 12 hours ago it worked fine.

buy 2 squad412460 from barakus

You get 54926 gold sovereigns from a canvas backpack.

You may only purchase one squad at a time.

You put 53926 gold sovereigns in a canvas backpack.

ahh I guess they fixed that part of the bug already then when Scrim reported it

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    I went looking to mine and found no available nodes and having to run around and consume balance looking for something that didn't exist soured me on mines pretty quickly. 
  • I haven't read this thread yet -- but suffice it to say, because I didn't get in on this yesterday, it seems like the opportunity to do so now is almost gone. 

Sitting down now, ready to learn, and being told that virtually every lode is accounted for... and you can't attack someones mine without having your own...

It seems like a pretty piss poor design mechanic for those of us who have to work for a living and weren't on Achaea with buckets of commodities, ready to blow a ton of cash on this new mechanic right away.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• I think we're all pretty sure this system is going to get modified pretty quickly to stem the flow of frustrated people, and probaby have some larger changes done in the long term. I'm mainly just surprised this didn't turn up in playtesting or whatnot.
  • Tvistor said:
    I think we're all pretty sure this system is going to get modified pretty quickly to stem the flow of frustrated people, and probaby have some larger changes done in the long term. I'm mainly just surprised this didn't turn up in playtesting or whatnot.
    I fully expect that they're monitoring the situation and making minor modifications as things go along. The main issue right now is the experience gap. The only viable way I can see for them to address the fact that you need a mine to level up soldiers, or to level up miners (it hasn't really been brought up, but because higher level miners have higher productivity, players with higher level miners could conceiveably gain an advantage), is for newly hired soldiers/miners to reflect the average level of all soldiers/miners.

Of course, that doesn't quite address those of us who have already hired miners and soldiers, but have not been able to find a suitable mine.

Unrelated, but worthy of a bump: there is still no way to dismiss or fire squads in your legion. So some of us (or maybe just me) are stuck with either too many soldiers, too many miners, or a bad composition of soldiers. It would be nice if we could LEGION DISMISS SQUAD <squad id> to free up space in our legion to better organize it as is necessary.
    We've already found new "strongholds" basically signs that say nobody owns the stronghold, but no stronghold yet. So I assume they will be expanding the number of strongholds and with that, the number of possible lodes

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Send your squads on suicide missions and you'll clear them up pretty quickly >.>
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

@Ruth can't send miners on suicide missions though

• can't you just enter the mine and kill them yourself?

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Also, any way we can change the wood cost to like.. stone or something? Getting wood to construct mines gets costly pretty quick because it gets used for all sorts of things, not including room credits, ship weapon repairs, city improvements.

I was thinking this would eventually be a good thing for cities to invest in, for more access to (insert comm here), indirectly. If anything, it would provide something cities could fight over.

Also, I was discussing with Skye and thought that it might be interesting to have the mines that don't only produce one commodity. In a real mine, you'll probably get more than just one comm, but in varying ratios. Is that something that would make the system more realistic/interesting?
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• A couple of things (I'll leave the overarching concerns for when Sarapis comes back):

@Melodie: the purple ones aren't for personal buffs, so eating them won't do anything.

You can now claim storage from multiple mines at once, rather than claiming from one removing your claim from a different one. (Same for strongholds of course).

The buying issues should've all been resolved, if anyone is still having issues feel free to drop me a message.

There is no message telling you if you were the first one to mine a mineral currently.

The Fissure, due to being such a small area to distribute lodes across, has somewhat of a lower chance for lodes to show up there compared to areas with larger rooms. I imagine we'll talk about that and discuss tweaking things to prioritise "riskier" areas potentially, but currently nothing like that is in place.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    @Makarios, any particular chance I could have it returned, and if possible, make it so if eating it isn't going to actually do anything, make it impossible? The idea it's so easily wasted is slightly annoying. If it's not used for personal buffs, I imagine I have to puzzle out how to use it?

Not to sound ungrateful, just a slightly annoying bit! Thanks for answering.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited July 2015
    [spoiler]Message #179        Sent by Achaea
    7/17/16:15 1 a chunk of polished black stone and 1034 iron ore was transferred from your mine to your inventory. This was after the local stronghold took a 5% tithe of 54 iron ore.

4125h, 3382m, 17650e, 14275w exdb 48.1- 09:16:45.081ii stone
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You are holding:
    Curing aides:
       vial55093           a moonstone vial
       vial217403          a moonstone vial
       vial227173          a moonstone vial
    Misc:
       stone370183         a worry stone
       mineral125340       a chunk of polished black stone

You are wearing:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5 items were shown.
    You have 1323 gold.

[Raven Limbs]: |0|0|0/0|0/0|

You eat a chunk of polished black stone and your mind expands.[/spoiler]

edit: dang... Why can I never get that to work?

• edited July 2015
    Sent By: Achaea on 7/17/16:40
    Your mine at Nearing the desert's edge approaching grassland has been taken by the Legion of Xer.

^ How can his army be level 2 if my mine's squads were still level 1? Is experience growth random?

edit: nevermind, forgot about the level up mineral

• Well I guess we know what the squad level up mineral will be named. Xerite

• mineral308727       a translucent piece of shunsten

squee

Siduri said:
    Sent By: Achaea on 7/17/16:40
    Your mine at Nearing the desert's edge approaching grassland has been taken by the Legion of Xer.

^ How can his army be level 2 if my mine's squads were still level 1? Is experience growth random?

edit: nevermind, forgot about the level up mineral
    he didn't have a level up mineral, @Siduri