The Big Change - Tradeskills

Comments

• The lessons aren't disappearing, don't worry. Its a really weird issue with the scaling when it comes to the output, we're working on it.

Toxicology ones are both more expensive and tend to get burned faster (2 per attack on average).

• Is it safe to finish transing or should I leave it where it is until it's fixed?
  • What does the Master Forger trait do now?
  • edited January 2015
    Tecton said:
    Gawi said:
    Gawi said:
    Wondering how the loki's tear will be helping toxicology? If it already will, or is that a later update?

@Sarapis @Tecton
    Covered that earlier in the thread, but you get 50% more sips per batch with the artefact!
    I just made a batch of venom with the tear, and I got 2 "sips" in the alembic instead of 1. That seems more like a 100% bonus (inline with the original description of the tear as 2 for 1), is that not intended? Can an alembic even hold 0.5 "sips"?

Also, I have to say, when I BUGed that you could make all remedies with 0 lessons in synthesis, I did not expect the remedy recipes to get so much more expensive. As an example, health went from 2 mercury, 1 copper, and 1 gold to 1 realgar, 1 plumbum, 1 ferrum, and 1 bisemutum. This reduces to 6.5 sulphur and 2.5 salts. For simplicities sake, lets call that 9 extraction and 4 synthesis steps.

This contrasts rather harshly with the plant version: 1 valerian, 1 goldenseal, 1 myrrh, 1 ginseng. I believe that's just four harvests, I could be wrong. Maybe the idea is that plants are harder to find, but it feels a little excessive.

Edit: not trying to imply that my bug had anything to do with the change, it seems like you guys had it ready to go.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited January 2015
    So, I noticed lashes were added to weaponsmithing. Will there a proficiency for them, like with whips? Or are they meant solely for serpents to use with GARROTE?

Edit: Someone told me they fall under the same proficiency as whips. Does that mean the command to use them is also WHIP?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• GawiGawi Washington
    edited January 2015

Nexes said:

I just made a batch of venom with the tear, and I got 2 "sips" in the alembic instead of 1. That seems more like a 100% bonus (inline with the original description of the tear as 2 for 1), is that not intended? Can an alembic even hold 0.5 "sips"?

Also, I have to say, when I BUGed that you could make all remedies with 0 lessons in synthesis, I did not expect the remedy recipes to get so much more expensive. As an example, health went from 2 mercury, 1 copper, and 1 gold to 1 realgar, 1 plumbum, 1 ferrum, and 1 bisemutum. This reduces to 6.5 sulphur and 2.5 salts. For simplicities sake, lets call that 9 extraction and 4 synthesis steps.

This contrasts rather harshly with the plant version: 1 valerian, 1 goldenseal, 1 myrrh, 1 ginseng. I believe that's just four harvests, I could be wrong. Maybe the idea is that plants are harder to find, but it feels a little excessive.

Edit: not trying to imply that my bug had anything to do with the change, it seems like you guys had it ready to go.

I completely agree, I don't know how anyone ever would have chosen to be an alchemist when they had the trade skills, it is like a bajillion times more work. I would much rather spend my time harvesting for the ingredients, then having to..

1. Spend forever walking around extracting primes (which is super slow btw)

2. Spend forever in the laboratory and synthesising

3. Spend forever in the laboratory transmutating.

compared to

1. spend forever walking around and harvesting.

Oh well, can't undo my choice now! :/

Also @Tecton Sorry, all I saw was that my post was not responded to.

• edited January 2015
    Crap, my script doesn't count the synthesis steps correctly, its way more than 4 since you have to turn those primes into things. Arg.

Edit: I think its 8 synthesis steps for that lone batch of health.
  • Yeah, its safe to finish transing. Everything to do with learning is fine, just converting it back to see the lessons is a bit weird at the moment.
  • Thank you!
  • I retract all my statements. I was unaware that each synthesis produced 5 flakes. That changes all the math.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited January 2015
    Does it produce 5 flakes? I synthesized earlier and I got 2 per prime.. Unless they changed it between then and now! Got to try it again.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Has the enchanting process changed at all? The actions, ingredients, etc.?
  • Ruth said:
    Does it produce 5 flakes? I synthesized earlier and I got 2 per prime.. Unless they changed it between then and now! Got to try it again.
    You get 5 minerals when you for each synthesis. You still get 2 of the metals when you convert them from primes.
  • I'm sure the servers can handle hundreds of smithies now, making dozens upon dozens of random assorted weapons and armour.

It'll be fine.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    edited January 2015

Never mind.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    psst, when can we make our own commodities? With how all these comm shops are looking, soon™ would be a good idea!
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:
    psst, when can we make our own commodities? With how all these comm shops are looking, soon™ would be a good idea!
    Make it a trade skill or three. 6500cr to max out is too cheap.
  • Nexes said:
    Has anyone got toxicology to work?

I can't put more than 1 item in at a time:
    >compound 1 magnesium in alembic
    Quantities must be between 1 and 50.

Try to use COMPOUND MAGNESIUM IN ALEMBIC (no number needed for doing one in concoctions, I would guess the same holds here.)
  • Gawi said:

Nexes said:

I completely agree, I don't know how anyone ever would have chosen to be an alchemist when they had the trade skills, it is like a bajillion times more work. I would much rather spend my time harvesting for the ingredients, then having to..

compared to

I think you idealise harvesting and concoctions perhaps a bit too much. 

For every superfill you need 4-8 of 3-4 plants or other ingredients, which are invariably from very different parts of the world. So that means more that "just 4 harvests" it means walking to somewhere that has grasslands, walking to somewhere that has ginseng (and that's ALWAYS hard to find, I went through 3 forests once and got 10 ginseng) and myrrh and then to mountains that have valerian. Then you have to make the concoction, which is the same time as transmuting.

Alchemists go to one kind of place and get huge amounts, it is nearly never fail. You can keep large quantities in your rift of what you make things from, which you can synthsise when reading the Ethos, writing poetry or doing House rank work. There's no reading or doing anything else when harvesting. You have to walk room to room, mindfully, sometimes attaching aggressives. Where if an herb is harvested out, you are just SOL, guess you'll be buying that ginseng from someone else, because waiting for it to grow is guesswork.

I understand how you think it is so much better as a forestal, I just thought perhaps I could show you another perspective. The grass may seem greener, but when it is your grass - maybe not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if Gawi were a forestal, I dance for joy it if that were possible.
  • On a more serious note, concerning armour. It now decays in 60 days.

Leatherarmour costs 330 gold unmodified
    Ringmail costs 438 gold unmodified
    Scalemail costs 711 gold unmodified
    Chainmail costs 1242 gold unmodified
    Splint mail costs 1803 gold unmodified
    Fullplate costs 11340 gold unmodified

Yes, you can get some of them a little bit cheaper, but this is an accurate representation of the spread.

I suggest that the forging costs for fullplate be reduced some (and the size. 15 is redonk) and or the durability be increased.
  • Jukilian said:
    Message #757        Sent by Meletus
    1/01/16:45 Greetings! In regard to issue 71307, it should indeed be possible to imbue five scrolls 
    at once with the artefact Medallion!

Syntax please?

I have tried:
    • BEGIN CREATION OF 5 FIRELASH
    • BEGIN ENCHANTMENT OF 5 SCROLL WITH FIRELASH
    • BEGIN ENCHANTMENT OF 5 SCROLL FIRELASH
    • BEGIN ENCHANTMENT OF 5 FIRELASH
    No luck. What goes?
     :angry: 
  • I feel like all the people complaining about commodities/cost to forge things completely forgot about posts in relatively recent months talking about the lack of a true gold sink in the game, and the fact commodities were changed in anticipation of this. I hope they don't change a thing for prices, but it doesn't seem like they will from previous changes.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• SharaShara Midlands
    Ruth said:
    1 prime = 2 ametals as always.
    With trans Synthesis: 1 cycle = 5 minerals.
  • edited January 2015
    Tecton said:
    Gawi said:
    Gawi said:
    Wondering how the loki's tear will be helping toxicology? If it already will, or is that a later update?

@Sarapis @Tecton
    Covered that earlier in the thread, but you get 50% more sips per batch with the artefact!
    Not being that familiar with the process and mechanics, I'm confused by the numbers and how exactly this works.

If a batch is worth 120 sips from a Trans practitioner poured into an artefact vial, and the Loki's Tear amulet increases the number of sips per batch by 50%, then I still don't quite get a full vial's worth (I'd be 60 sips short) - to me that sounds like I'd still need to use two batches to fill the vial, regardless of the amulet.

Is it worthless if I'm just picking up Toxicology to fill my own venoms, and I own artefact vials?
  • SharaShara Midlands
    Lisbethae said:
    Gawi said:

compared to

I think you idealise harvesting and concoctions perhaps a bit too much. 

For every superfill you need 4-8 of 3-4 plants or other ingredients, which are invariably from very different parts of the world. So that means more that "just 4 harvests" it means walking to somewhere that has grasslands, walking to somewhere that has ginseng (and that's ALWAYS hard to find, I went through 3 forests once and got 10 ginseng) and myrrh and then to mountains that have valerian. Then you have to make the concoction, which is the same time as transmuting.

Alchemists go to one kind of place and get huge amounts, it is nearly never fail. You can keep large quantities in your rift of what you make things from, which you can synthsise when reading the Ethos, writing poetry or doing House rank work. There's no reading or doing anything else when harvesting. You have to walk room to room, mindfully, sometimes attaching aggressives. Where if an herb is harvested out, you are just SOL, guess you'll be buying that ginseng from someone else, because waiting for it to grow is guesswork.

I understand how you think it is so much better as a forestal, I just thought perhaps I could show you another perspective. The grass may seem greener, but when it is your grass - maybe not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if Gawi were a forestal, I dance for joy it if that were possible.
    I'm not attacking you Lis, so don't read this wall of text as such! <3 I've heard some of these arguments before, and I want to try to point out my confusion on opinions now that things are changing. I could be totally wrong on these points as I am new to the game.

1. For every superfill you need 4-8 of 3-4 plants or other ingredients, which are invariably from very different parts of the world. / / Alchemists go to one kind of place and get huge amounts, it is nearly never fail.

There is no one place for primes that is big enough to allow me to INR 10k, 5k, or even 2k primes in one go (with gloves and trait) to synthesis into enough metals and then transmute into enough minerals to fill even a normal 2.5k rift. We have to travel as Alchemists, even if it isn't as far in scope as Forestals, though still limited. We also have to find areas not previous extracted bare by other Alchemists.

2. Then you have to make the concoction, which is the same time as transmuting.

Gawi outlined how this isn't exactly true. A concoction uses herbs to create and is essentially a finishing cycle. The herbs themselves are gathered using a one step process. In order to get the materials to use one's alembic, you must go through gathering, synthesis, and transmuting cycles -and then- you can "concoct" in your alembic. Not the same time at all in preparation- which is the issue at hand.

3. You can keep large quantities in your rift of what you make things from, which you can synthsise when reading the Ethos, writing poetry or doing House rank work. There's no reading or doing anything else when harvesting.

Are you saying that herbs can't be rifted like minerals, aMetals, and Primes? I'm not even sure why a rift issue is mentioned. I also can't "read" while extracting.  I think you are confusing the enormous about of time we have to spend in a lab doing two intermediary cycles of processing primes into the usable equivalent to harvested herbs.

4. You have to walk room to room, mindfully, sometimes attaching aggressives. Where if an herb is harvested out, you are just SOL, guess you'll be buying that ginseng from someone else, because waiting for it to grow is guesswork.

Now, that's an issue that should likely be addressed by the Admins in terms of balance. Herb growth, as I know it, isn't as quick to respawn as primes (2 hours). Maybe it is? Or, as Malak always rants about- Forestals can start being diligent about using Fertility. Is that not a thing anymore? Maybe it's not...

---

So while Forestals do have their limited supply that requires travel, they can still create finished products more rapidly than Alchemists. So the grass might not be wildly greener, but it still seems to have an upper hand in terms of time spent in production.

Refills were a very straight forward process that was more alike - in time spent- to the Forestal counterpart. That is no longer true. A concoctionist can spend an hour and come up with materials to concoct anywhere they stop walking. An Alchemist must find primes, sit in a lab to process the primes twice over, and only then make that mana refill they wanted two hours prior.

So the value of our time as Alchemists is either worth far less now, or the prices are going to get higher and we lose business because of standardisation. Admittedly, I am still a bit sour about losing what I feel is a lot of flavour to my class. My character feels strange teaching the art of Alchemical transmutation to non-Alchemists who now sitting in a crowded lab wanting nothing to do with the "science." Instead, they only want to create so they can cut Alchemists out of stocking their shops and rifts. Maybe that will change, maybe it won't.
  • Shara said:

3. You can keep large quantities in your rift of what you make things from, which you can synthsise when reading the Ethos, writing poetry or doing House rank work. There's no reading or doing anything else when harvesting.

Are you saying that herbs can't be rifted like minerals, aMetals, and Primes? I'm not even sure why a rift issue is mentioned. I also can't "read" while extracting.  I think you are confusing the enormous about of time we have to spend in a lab doing two intermediary cycles of processing primes into the usable equivalent to harvested herbs.
    I think this comment refers to the fact that you can fap while in the lab. You just set up a trigger to convert them. Not trying to say that the two skills are equal, I don't know, but when you are in the lab you just pull up netflix and catch up on (it pains me to write a sentence this correctly) to what Sam and Dean Winchester are up.
  • SharaShara Midlands
    Rispok said:
    Shara said:

I think this comment refers to the fact that you can fap while in the lab. You just set up a trigger to convert them. Not trying to say that the two skills are equal, I don't know, but when you are in the lab you just pull up netflix and catch up on (it pains me to write a sentence this correctly) to what Sam and Dean Winchester are up.
    But what I'm saying is that if all things were equal, we wouldn't have to be in the lab long enough to relive the hysterical last three seasons of Archer in order to fill our vials and rift. (Supernatural, Rispok? I... I'd rather fap to cartoons, bro.) We could just be out extracting and BAM! make some refills.