The Big Change - Tradeskills

Comments

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Have a sort of random question as I'm partially re-learning some skills and others more wholly to try and begin a lessons saving plan...

How does the increasing lesson cost actually work? Is it like language lessons, where there's so many lessons at <blank> cost, and then after so many lessons it just automatically increases, or does it increase in the order you decide to pick up the skills from Amarisse, or something else?
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I'm tempted to just hoard lessons/credits until I find out how much multiclass is going to cost. :neutral_face: 
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited January 2015
    @Tecton or @Sarapis (if he's not passed out drunker than Ironbeard by now): In regards to forging, what determines which descriptor is going to be listed on the final product? The first descriptor I list seems to always come second on the forged item. Is there a way to set which comes first?

Edit: Reversed the order and it put the second one first this time, so I'll just submit a bug in case this is..well, a bug!

• Should of left hammer of forging in and made it so you got double forging experience.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Is there any easy way to see how you have progressed in a particular smithing rank?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Shirszae said:
    Is there any easy way to see how you have progressed in a particular smithing rank?
    Forging rank? Not that I'm aware of. Individual descriptors you can FORGING SHOW (descriptor)

I can live without knowing my exact forging rank but I've already ideaed FORGING LIST shwing you your rank and % for each descriptor.
  • Forging rank is shown under licenses and permits on score.

• I think they mean a way to see how close you are to the next rank.
    edited January 2015
    I know how to see my progress with particular descriptors. I just thought it would be nice to see my overall progress in smithing as well. Something like, "You are 15% on your way to the next smithing rank."  Can't really think of anything that would be impacted negatively by us knowing where exactly we are in terms of progress.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited January 2015
    Shirszae said:
    I know how to see my progress with particular descriptors. I just thought it would be nice to see my overall progress in smithing as well. Something like, "You are 15% on your way to the next smithing rank."  Can't really think of anything that would be impacted negatively by us knowing where exactly we are in terms of progress.
    I agree. This was the only thing I didn't like about smithing. I felt like I was standing there forging away without any real understanding of how much progress I was making to the next rank. It'd be great if we could know that because those percentages keep me motivated.
  • Does anybody have the full list of individual AB files for Toxicology?
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Shirszae said:
    It's on your Stat 2 page.

Kresslack said:
    Shirszae said:
    It's on your Stat 2 page.
    Thats my current rank. What I meant is, something like what you have for skills, which show you just how far into one you are, or how much % until the next rank.

• So the examined descriptions of the new forged items is a little lacking, in my opinion. I actually liked the old descriptions, at least on most of them. Don't get me wrong, I like the change, but the examined is just lacklustre: "This is a sleek, balanced flail." vs. "This flail has a fairly short wooden handle, with a leather loop at the end. Three chains are attached to the other end, each leading to separate fist-sized iron ball, dotted with evil-looking spikes." for example.

So on that note...Are there any plans to introduce more detailed descriptions again?

If yes, can we submit descriptions for the new descriptors? Either as parts (e.g. a sentence for "sleek flail" that would link up with a sentence for "balanced flail", along with a base sentence for "flail" itself) or whole items (one for sleek, balanced flail, one for sleek, graceful flail, etc.), however would be easier on the code, to spice up the new forged items a bit?

I just want pretty things  :( 

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • Where are the scrolls for use with Imbue (Augmentation)?
  • Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but what do those of us with the shears that don't have any designs needing saving do with this item? Because mine are useless to me.  

• @Tecton‌ or @Sarapis‌ I was wondering if someone creates a new design and then gives the design to someone with shears can the person with shears create the new design since they would then be the owner? 
  • KezKez
    edited January 2015
    Melodie said:
    Have a sort of random question as I'm partially re-learning some skills and others more wholly to try and begin a lessons saving plan...

How does the increasing lesson cost actually work? Is it like language lessons, where there's so many lessons at <blank> cost, and then after so many lessons it just automatically increases, or does it increase in the order you decide to pick up the skills from Amarisse, or something else?
    If I understand this right, I think I can answer it because I went ahead and did it.

I gained 3 skills at once. The first two that I picked up each cost me 696 lessons to trans, and the third has the increase on it. Says 1041 but I expect it to work out to 1045 or 1046.

Looking at how many lessons each skill expected before learning anything, the first two said 694 and the third said 1041.

Question of my own: what counts as soft armour? Leather armour doesn't seem to.
  • Kez said:
    I gained 3 skills at once. The first two that I picked up each cost me 696 lessons to trans, and the third has the increase on it. Says 1041 but I expect it to work out to 1045 or 1046.
    My experience was functionally the same (3 skills - first three were roughly 695 or so). Mathematically the third skill should work out to 1040.5, but that rounds up to 1041 before allowing for the usual difference.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• May said:
    @Tecton‌ or @Sarapis‌ I was wondering if someone creates a new design and then gives the design to someone with shears can the person with shears create the new design since they would then be the owner? 
    I'd wager not, as that'd probably be an easy way to play the system. Can't design them yourself, so you get your friend to do it and you pay all the gold etc for it.
  • Yeah, the show lessons left in x has always had a very small amount of inaccuracy due to how the formula works. You'll generally be within 1 lesson, and shouldn't really ever be more than out by five.

You can't give designs to people without the appropriate skill, due to that loophole. (Or should not be able to.)

Examined descs are really problematic under this system. We have so many descriptors there's no way there could be a desc to fit all the permutations for each type, so we went with generic initially. Whether that'll change down the line, you'll have to wait for Sarapis/T to make that call.

• @Makarios / @Tecton‌

[Phaestean shields]
           armour476741 a suit of leather armour                        5     700gp
                        Cutting%   25;  Blunt%   20;  Magic%  n/a
        chainmail392964 a suit of steel chain mail                      4    2700gp
                        Cutting%   60;  Blunt%   50;  Magic%  n/a
         ringmail180823 a suit of ring mail                            10     950gp
                        Cutting%   43;  Blunt%   30;  Magic%  n/a
       splintmail508557 a suit of splint mail                           2    3950gp
                        Cutting%   56;  Blunt%   33;  Magic%  n/a
        scalemail346357 a suit of scale mail                            5    1550gp
                        Cutting%   50;  Blunt%   45;  Magic%  n/a

Why is chain higher than splint?

shield315508 a banded shield                                 5     470gp
                        Cutting%   15;  Blunt%   15;  Magic%  n/a
           shield459288 a kite shield                                   9     670gp
                        Cutting%   13;  Blunt%   24;  Magic%  n/a

Why does a banded offer more cutting than a kite?

• edited January 2015
    If that is the case, they can possibly have a Y/N flag on traded designs to indicate you cannot make them until you learn the tradeskill?

Like, if I had 5 of my own designs and shears, I could make those five. Someone could trade me another 2 designs, but I cannot make them until I get Tailoring. But I can share those with friends who do have it.

Edit: Also, where are my scrolls? :disappointed: 
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    edited January 2015
    welp overlooked it, sorry
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• edited January 2015
    Why was it decided to combine the elixirs/tonics from plants and minerals? It doesn't make a lot of sense, flavour-wise, to brew a health elixir from minerals, and if you're going to have gathering and synthesising, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to add brewing and distilling as separate skills.

• HeroseHerose Nova Scotia, Canada
    edited January 2015
    I hope that with this change the market for 'Gathering' opens up.  If I want to just get inkmilling and buy the reagents from Rurin you can make virtually no profit.  For example, the reagents for a gold ink cost 395 and Rurin sells a gold ink for 400.   The best margin is a yellow ink where you can buy reagents for 56 and Rurin sells a yellow ink for 80.  So you would have to buy the reagents from another player or else get both inkmilling and gathering for it to be profitable.
  • Jukilian said:
    May said:
    @Tecton‌ or @Sarapis‌ I was wondering if someone creates a new design and then gives the design to someone with shears can the person with shears create the new design since they would then be the owner? 
    I'd wager not, as that'd probably be an easy way to play the system. Can't design them yourself, so you get your friend to do it and you pay all the gold etc for it.
    I figured it was a no but doesn't hurt to ask.