Tradeskill split

Comments

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Tecton said:
    Ruth said:
    Can I be a plant-loving, oakstone-enemied heathen Mhaldorian and take up concoctions and harvesting? (I just want to know if those tradeskills will have any player restrictions. I swear. :innocent: )
    I can see Sartan hovering his finger over his shiny red zap button from here.
    I was just joking, @Sartan. I SWEAR. It was @Tecton's plan ALLL along to get you to zap me!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Moghedu is still extractable, someone had probably just gone through before you

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Ruth said:
    Can I be a plant-loving, oakstone-enemied heathen Mhaldorian and take up concoctions and harvesting? (I just want to know if those tradeskills will have any player restrictions. I swear. :innocent: )

I was wondering this, too, and I'm surprised it hasn't been asked earlier!

I mean, for instance, the Cauda Pavonis detests forestals, specifically for decimating their trade. Is this going to be reflected somehow by limitations on who can choose Harvesting/Concoctions/Synthesis/Transmutation?

Or is the Cauda Pavonis going to be given one big, "F--k you, and your prejudices!"

Because if the latter, I might seriously consider running around as a forestal who can extract primes and create tonics, just to spite the CP for not letting me benefit from Astronomy. o:)

• @Ruth so you were the cause!
    I knewwww it

My Tyrannus is a traitor D: 

• Tecton said:
    Krypton said:
    Ruth said:

I mean, for instance, the Cauda Pavonis detests forestals, specifically for decimating their trade. Is this going to be reflected somehow by limitations on who can choose Harvesting/Concoctions/Synthesis/Transmutation?

Or is the Cauda Pavonis going to be given one big, "F--k you, and your prejudices!"

Because if the latter, I might seriously consider running around as a forestal who can extract primes and create tonics, just to spite the CP for not letting me benefit from Astronomy. o:)

Not finalised yet, but the current plan in no plants for alchs and no minerals for forestals.
    So mhaldorian forestals will once again be a thing?

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Khaibit said:
    Tecton said:
    Krypton said:
    Ruth said:

Not finalised yet, but the current plan in no plants for alchs and no minerals for forestals.
    So mhaldorian forestals will once again be a thing?
    Doubtful...

• Tecton said:
    Melodie said:
    Tecton, along with my previous question about what the trade-in value of licence tokens will be, I'm also curious, for others sake more than mine - would you consider reducing the price, once all the refunds are done and stuff, of the forging hammer? Since it will no longer vary stats at all, it seems fair to make it the same price as gloves of harvesting or similar artefacts, around 300 credits or so. Either that or add some sort of additional function.
    The more that I look into the new situation, it's more apparent that the hammer of forging won't have a place, so we'll probably do a full refund for all hammer owners.
    I'm glad.

However, I must say, you took the wind out of a 4 paragraph long post I had written up in Notepad that I was going to stick here.

That being said, I'll be sad to see my shop go away...

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• I think there will still be a place for weapon shops, just as there's a place for clothing shops and jewelery shops, with the customization features.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Trey said:

As for fullplate decaying,  it would be very nice for all existing suits of fullplate to be nondecay still, or at least give people who have trans forging one figurine in order to nondecay -one- suit. Some of us hadn't gotten a suit we were willing to blow our free customisation on, but now that stats are standardized there's no reason not to use it now.
    I don't have anything productive to add, but this would be so completely awesome if it were done

• I think this opens up artifact armour... 

Ugh, my wallet...

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."

-Albert Einstein

• edited December 2014
    Is it likely that the new knight skill will have any PVE benefit? I, and I assume others, picked up forging mostly for the PVE benefit. If the new skill has only PVP skills, I doubt very much I would have put any lessons into it, if it was a launch skill. This being said, I think that giving the option for a full refund on the third skill would be nice. Learning to trans doesn't take long any more, so it's not really a big deal to change your mentor and spend 15 minutes in the learning loop.
  • Nim said:
     2) it's very much the opposite of lucrative to be a merchant, given the huge capital costs and the terrible profit margins.
    Have you seen @Laytron's bank account?
  • I don't really think it matters what buffs and adjustments they make on Knight class. I'm most likely always going to be stuck as a midtier/lowtier fighter. I suck at it. I really ought to just stick to bashing..
  • Rispok said:
    Nim said:
     2) it's very much the opposite of lucrative to be a merchant, given the huge capital costs and the terrible profit margins.
    Ditto. If you aren't being lucrative as a merchant, you aren't trying hard enough. Find a niche, feel out the market and go apeshit with what you know. Forging was the bulk of my earning, with the changes likely less so now, but I developed a decent sense for wheeling and dealing on various odds and ends too. 

• Wait, there's a PvE benefit to Forging?  Aside from Fullplate?
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Addama said:
    Wait, there's a PvE benefit to Forging?  Aside from Fullplate?
    You -are- aware that all armour and weapons contribute to PvE, not just fullplate, yes?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I see zero new purpose for forging at all, honestly.

Weapons / Armour lasts anywhere from 90 to 250 OOC days.

If it's all the same, that means you'll have to replace it once every 8 months or so.

The current market is great because it encourages supply vs. demand on a great level. If you have a really epic rapier, the supply is low, demand is huge.

If anyone can make the -same stat weapon/armour-, supply will be huge, and demand will be gone.

I'd be a little bent if I didn't get a full refund on a Hammer of Forging, honestly. It'd be a pretty massive rip off.

That being said, that means my 400cr can now go towards the 3200 it'll take me to get dual-level 3 scims.

Ugh.

-Albert Einstein

• Shirszae said:
    Addama said:
    Wait, there's a PvE benefit to Forging?  Aside from Fullplate?
    You -are- aware that all armour and weapons contribute to PvE, not just fullplate, yes?
    Does it really count if I could just buy that benefit instead of making it for myself?
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Aelios said:
    I see zero new purpose for forging at all, honestly.

Weapons / Armour lasts anywhere from 90 to 250 OOC days.

If it's all the same, that means you'll have to replace it once every 8 months or so.

The current market is great because it encourages supply vs. demand on a great level. If you have a really epic rapier, the supply is low, demand is huge.

If anyone can make the -same stat weapon/armour-, supply will be huge, and demand will be gone.

I'd be a little bent if I didn't get a full refund on a Hammer of Forging, honestly. It'd be a pretty massive rip off.

That being said, that means my 400cr can now go towards the 3200 it'll take me to get dual-level 3 scims.

Ugh.

Weapons last 250 months, armour lasts 120. No 90s in here, boss! Also, suck it up, precious.

• NimNim
    edited December 2014
    Trey said:
    Rispok said:
    Nim said:
    Ditto. If you aren't being lucrative as a merchant, you aren't trying hard enough. Find a niche, feel out the market and go apeshit with what you know. Forging was the bulk of my earning, with the changes likely less so now, but I developed a decent sense for wheeling and dealing on various odds and ends too. 
    How much time did you spend forging? How much did you earn per hour of forging?

I recognize that you could have spent most of that time watching shows or movies or whatever else, only barely paying attention to Achaea for the sake of not breaking automation laws, but personally I don't find that appealing.

Reselling limited edition stuff might be fairly profitable, of course, since it's usually not too expensive to get in the first place. Requires the capital of preventing it from decaying, though.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Qwindor said:
    The only thing I do not like about this change is that I am trans all of the mini trade skills as well but you are only going to refund me the lessons I spent into it not the lessons to get back the skills completely considering they will scale up each time I learn a new one. So not cool.
    That's kind of the point, as someone mentioned, because it encourages people to pick one or two and then work with other people to accommodate different demands. So if nothing else, you're still getting a ton of lessons back to invest in whatever you want.

• Addama said:
    Kresslack said:
    Qwindor said:
    The only thing I do not like about this change is that I am trans all of the mini trade skills as well but you are only going to refund me the lessons I spent into it not the lessons to get back the skills completely considering they will scale up each time I learn a new one. So not cool.
    That's kind of the point, as someone mentioned, because it encourages people to pick one or two and then work with other people to accommodate different demands. So if nothing else, you're still getting a ton of lessons back to invest in whatever you want.
    It's kind of crummy from a business standpoint, though.  Like, I'm going to pay $600 for a bunch of content.  Then one day, IRE decides that they're going to rework the content.  They're not going to change it much, only the means by which you get it.  But instead of just giving you all the content you had, they give you a fraction of it, and if you want the rest, you're going to have to pay a ton of money for it.

This isn't the same as offering free content, then pulling it and putting a price on it.  This is taking content people have bought and putting a new, higher pricetag on it.
    I think that's the point though, you don't want everyone to have every trade skill so that no one can harvest because everything is harvested out scenario. Or the "I HAVE ALL TRADE SKILLS AND OWN EVERYTHING" Scenario. You could waste $600 dollars on all trade skills sure but how many people really will want to do that?
  • Honestly,  If you have trade skills already transed out,  you should be given approximately the credit value of your lessons spent.  This way you have the option to learn part of what you used to know(because going omnitrans again is not feasible or the desired effect) or invest in something else.  Make them bound credits,  round down, I doubt half as many people complain.  
This discussion has been closed.