Eleusis vs Mhaldor, the Good and the Bad!

Comments

• So what you're trying to tell me is that killing another person in PK gives you an OOC/RL high because you know they lose XP?

Yep.

If that is the case, and is the only reason why XP loss is important to Achaea, why do newbies and everyone else lose XP when we die to a creamy white goat? I am sure the goat doesn't get an OOC/RL high from murdering an 18 year old who wandered in and attacked it.

I don't necessarily believe low-level PVE should incur an experience loss.
  • lol, some people.

• TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!

How I see this war progressing, how it has already happened, and how Mhaldor will win by grinding the non-combatants of Eleusis into dormancy (exactly what's happened the last time large scale conflict of this nature happened). PvP is great and all, but as @Athelas‌ has already said multiple times, when one Mhaldorian can draw Eleusians into combat with a single skill that isn't even the trans skill, it's not even remotely a fair fight. 

To everyone crying about forest defs being OP, I laugh at your lies. On my Mhaldorian alt, I was with my mentor, who was forest enemied in a forest. She got smacked five times before sipping in lesser form. Forest defences are a pathetic joke since Lupus and Kaiya did the ritual thingie that nerfed them into the ground because Mhaldorians were crying that RP had measurable repercussions to them. Very similar to how people were crying "The Nature faction has a grove at defendable. That's OP." Granted, most of the current stock of Mhaldorians were not among those who inspired such actions, so no anger at you lot.

Tohran is not a soldier in Eleusis, so no, he's not involved in this war to a great extent. The big problem with the war is that when Mhaldor exterminates, or raids Eleusis; it's not just the combatants who fight. The RP oaths require everyone to stand up and fight now. This is why I really hate PvP in this game. It has become seemingly, the primary focus of everything and everyone. Back in the day, we had RP, lots of it. PvP was a thing, but it wasn't the all-consuming maw that it has become. I'm not sure what happened, be it fewer volunteers to create RP events, warmongers in positions of power, or just a chnage in the player base wanting more conflict and less character development, but either way, not everyone enjoys this. @Melodie‌ has already posted a rant about how she's tired of getting ganked every five minutes or there abouts. I have not been attacked yet, for any thinking this is a rage post. Just airing a few opinions about this whole thing. The fact that @Ravien‌ and @Ruth‌ haven't met yet to discuss this boggles my mind. I realize Ravien is busy, but if she's that busy, why is she still in a position of authority to such a  degree that all political negotiations are put on a halt for a time greater than two days?

Can anyone name Eleusians that are NOT @Rangor‌, @Alrena‌, @Exelethril‌, or @Ellodin‌ that are actually really enjoying the war? Take away the five big combatants and you have a bunch of non-coms/midbie fighters who would rather roleplay than PvP. Maybe it's my mindset because I've never been much of one for PvP, even in WoW I preferred the PvE, storylines rule. Maybe I'm just a pain in the ass. Just my perspective.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

@Athelas himself said he  was starting to enjoy the war in some capacity.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited August 2014

I would love to enjoy the war, but my class is broken and is getting a complete rework apparently.

Also, the exterminations are only fun for Mhaldorians but forest defenses are OP so it evens out.

• TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!
    Micaelis said:

I wish everyone would stop writing such short, to-the-point posts and REALLY dig into their hearts and tell us how they really feel about this war in a long, rambling, paragraph format.

To the Eleusian Vietnam protesters: You know it's rude to try and stop @Rangor from having fun, right? He's more important than you. You will die for his enjoyment, and you will like it.

Pretty much.

• Tohran said:
    Micaelis said:

I wish everyone would stop writing such short, to-the-point posts and REALLY dig into their hearts and tell us how they really feel about this war in a long, rambling, paragraph format.

To the Eleusian Vietnam protesters: You know it's rude to try and stop @Rangor from having fun, right? He's more important than you. You will die for his enjoyment, and you will like it.

Pretty much.

If you are dying, you are PKing wrong.

• @Tohran three out of four names you gave are ICly opposed to this war (but not being hostile to Mhaldor, fyi). While I personally don't shy away from pk, I'm also not a lolpker who wants to do it all day, every day! It's kinda too late to complain about it now, it's started. We can make the best of it and get some RP out of it during and after it ended. It's not like either side really wants it to last for weeks and weeks. (except maybe @Vaehl and @Micositu )
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida

At the risk of potentially screwing myself over, I'll go on and tell you, @Tohran, that yesterday I was able to get out and about for a small while to harvest, and have been able to take to the fight on my terms rather than out of pure agitation, which folded in with breaks (like some sailing, some islands, and some just talking to people) has made things doable and occasionally fun. The propaganda has made me laugh (OOCly anyway, ICly I'm still working on something!), and some issues of novices getting attacked has been acknowledged and (hopefully) resolved. The exterminations still really aren't very fun, but knowing some of what I know now, I see why they're happening so much. I don't really think it's a great thing, but that's a personal opinion. One of these days maybe Eleusis will finally get the fix needed to make forestal conflict a little less likely to make people want to tear their hair out.

Or maybe not, considering the entitlement of a decidedly and frighteningly-large portion of the citizens... but so it goes.

And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Don't disagree with me @Nim! you dirty Cyrenian non-comm! Do you even combat!!!  j/k

• Achimrst said:

Don't disagree with me @Nim! you dirty Cyrenian non-comm! Do you even combat!!!  j/k

wtf's combat? do you use emotes and stuff? i am bad at those too
  • Quit the army if you don't want to be involved in the war? 

• Nim said:
    Achimrst said:

Don't disagree with me @Nim! you dirty Cyrenian non-comm! Do you even combat!!!  j/k

wtf's combat? do you use emotes and stuff? i am bad at those too

• @Achimrst‌Achimrst said:

Cresil said:

New rule! Dying drops the entire contents of your pack to be taken by the victor. Obviously this is the only way. :smiley: 

But seriously, not losing experience just undoes the progression of the tank and war system. Raid mechanics were fixed because of unfair experience loss. Don't undo it

I don't see a problem with adding some RP penalty for death, but you can't take away xp loss.

I honestly don't care about XP loss, as I stated before I'm at the point where I love very little now unless I die constantly. It mostly just annoys newbies although I don't see any reason for it other than to have @Mycen heartstop on her ship for hours again flooding deathsights.

Is there something that I'm not getting that makes XP loss extremely important to the game @Cresil?

I don't think you got my point. No, XP loss isn't extremely important to anyone above about lvl 80. I'm just stating that having no xp loss in PK or against denizens will result in literally everyone being a dragon in a few weeks, longer less meaningful raid situations, another heavy reconstruct of the army/raid/raid defense system, sanctions will really no longer matter because no one loses xp! The job of xp loss is to make people think before they run into Big Z and get lolwrekt. Otherwise you'll just have people who already take huge risks take even larger ones because...why not? (I mean players like Jhui divebombing guards to get a kill at Mhaldor Gates. He gets the kill before he dies due to numb, net gain of xp cause no xp loss.) Rinse and repeat until Penwizean levels.

• Tohran said:

How I see this war progressing, how it has already happened, and how Mhaldor will win by grinding the non-combatants of Eleusis into dormancy (exactly what's happened the last time large scale conflict of this nature happened). PvP is great and all, but as @Athelas‌ has already said multiple times, when one Mhaldorian can draw Eleusians into combat with a single skill that isn't even the trans skill, it's not even remotely a fair fight. 

To everyone crying about forest defs being OP, I laugh at your lies. On my Mhaldorian alt, I was with my mentor, who was forest enemied in a forest. She got smacked five times before sipping in lesser form. Forest defences are a pathetic joke since Lupus and Kaiya did the ritual thingie that nerfed them into the ground because Mhaldorians were crying that RP had measurable repercussions to them. Very similar to how people were crying "The Nature faction has a grove at defendable. That's OP." Granted, most of the current stock of Mhaldorians were not among those who inspired such actions, so no anger at you lot.

Tohran is not a soldier in Eleusis, so no, he's not involved in this war to a great extent. The big problem with the war is that when Mhaldor exterminates, or raids Eleusis; it's not just the combatants who fight. The RP oaths require everyone to stand up and fight now. This is why I really hate PvP in this game. It has become seemingly, the primary focus of everything and everyone. Back in the day, we had RP, lots of it. PvP was a thing, but it wasn't the all-consuming maw that it has become. I'm not sure what happened, be it fewer volunteers to create RP events, warmongers in positions of power, or just a chnage in the player base wanting more conflict and less character development, but either way, not everyone enjoys this. @Melodie‌ has already posted a rant about how she's tired of getting ganked every five minutes or there abouts. I have not been attacked yet, for any thinking this is a rage post. Just airing a few opinions about this whole thing. The fact that @Ravien‌ and @Ruth‌ haven't met yet to discuss this boggles my mind. I realize Ravien is busy, but if she's that busy, why is she still in a position of authority to such a  degree that all political negotiations are put on a halt for a time greater than two days?

Can anyone name Eleusians that are NOT @Rangor‌, @Alrena‌, @Exelethril‌, or @Ellodin‌ that are actually really enjoying the war? Take away the five big combatants and you have a bunch of non-coms/midbie fighters who would rather roleplay than PvP. Maybe it's my mindset because I've never been much of one for PvP, even in WoW I preferred the PvE, storylines rule. Maybe I'm just a pain in the ass. Just my perspective.

• I get that PVP affects your day-to-day activities.  That's what makes it meaningful.

To repeat something I said earlier though, I also get that everybody needs some time to work on their own stuff without being corralled into 24/7 raids.  I think wars ought to escalate into what's happening now, but there's very little between "not at war" and "at war" to represent steps in that escalation.

• Cresil said:

@Achimrst‌Achimrst said:

Cresil said:

New rule! Dying drops the entire contents of your pack to be taken by the victor. Obviously this is the only way. :smiley: 

But seriously, not losing experience just undoes the progression of the tank and war system. Raid mechanics were fixed because of unfair experience loss. Don't undo it

I don't see a problem with adding some RP penalty for death, but you can't take away xp loss.

I honestly don't care about XP loss, as I stated before I'm at the point where I love very little now unless I die constantly. It mostly just annoys newbies although I don't see any reason for it other than to have @Mycen heartstop on her ship for hours again flooding deathsights.

Is there something that I'm not getting that makes XP loss extremely important to the game @Cresil?

I don't think you got my point. No, XP loss isn't extremely important to anyone above about lvl 80. I'm just stating that having no xp loss in PK or against denizens will result in literally everyone being a dragon in a few weeks, longer less meaningful raid situations, another heavy reconstruct of the army/raid/raid defense system, sanctions will really no longer matter because no one loses xp! The job of xp loss is to make people think before they run into Big Z and get lolwrekt. Otherwise you'll just have people who already take huge risks take even larger ones because...why not? (I mean players like Jhui divebombing guards to get a kill at Mhaldor Gates. He gets the kill before he dies due to numb, net gain of xp cause no xp loss.) Rinse and repeat until Penwizean levels.

I can see your point, although you don't gain that much XP from killing people. Not to mention Big Z usually walks into you and gets put on roads to lol kill people giving people who don't even want to be hunting to get lolwrekt. Although I don't see making PK the best way to level as a bad thing, simply because this is a PvP game, mostly. Sanctions definitely matter because after they sanction they can start blowing up your city causing damage to shops and other services the city offers to basically stop you from being able to shop or get gold from the bank. So saying sanctioning doesn't have any effect is just ignoring the RP repercussions of having a city raid. Not to mention it takes three actual days for those rooms to repair and cost the city gold. I see plenty of reasons as to why sanctioning matters. XP loss would just add salt to the wound of not being fully capable of defending the city at the time. If @Jhui is going to dive bomb you at the gates of Mhaldor he will do it now if he thought he could live through it. XP means nothing to people at Jhui's level and they can probably get it back really fast anyway.

Finally, as far as dragon goes. I rarely die when hunting and I'm still not a damn dragon! That stuff takes forever to get! Although I can definitely see your point in farming a friend for XP and getting dragon but if you're actually good at combat and can get enough kills to become a dragon that way I think you probably earned it at that point. I am sure they can probably still make it easy to lose XP to guards if they even consider XP loss removal.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles

XP loss matters a lot more to midbies if they plan on hitting level 80 or making the push for dragon.  Dragons don't give a shit about xp, anyone level 100+ dragon would need to true death 300 times without getting a piece of xp before losing a level.  If they are in an order they might care as their patron might not be cool with them being negative 5 million essence every year but there's only a handful of people who engage in so much raiding where that's even mathematically plausible.

Maybe re-scaling xp loss so it works out to 15 minutes of the baseline bashing.  Right now I believe its probably close to half an hour to recover from a true death for midbies (who probably don't get many kills either) so it makes since how it would be discouraging to participate in a raid, die a few times and have to spend 2 hours to make it back.  

• edited August 2014

@Tohran : You forgot Iakimen, Rom, Lothiac(probably missing a few more names). I don't actually like this war and I'm sort of crippled with lousy rapiers, so all I do is hunt off-plane to avoid getting Naga'd. Though, I do defend when necessary and my token's off cooldown.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State

When there's nearly 300 active dragons now, I don't think xp loss is the problem. I think excuses and lack of motivation is. It's not the most difficult thing in the world, it's just a bit of a time commitment, somewhat of a learning curve on how to improve your hunting, consistency, and not taking risks in hunting things bigger than you can handle just for the sake of higher exp per kill.

What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    i dunno, i lose an hour of bashing every time i die. If i didn't PK it would be quite demotivating. It would depend entirely why you played achaea.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Is ok Tohran. Once we're bored with Mhaldor, we'll make peace, have cookies, then go punch ashtan in the face and scream WAAAAARRRR at them too.

• edited August 2014

You thought trees burning was bad, wait til you meet ashtan's version of war!