Eleusis vs Mhaldor, the Good and the Bad!

Comments

• Tirac said:
    Rangor said:

This time there weren't defenders and we succeeded with guards.

I understand the desire to go PvE on an empty city considering the significant losses you've been taking in PvP. I think most people in Mhaldor are happy for it to continue considering what they're getting out of it. But I hope you come up with  something better than a guard raid followed by declaring neutral (only Targossas cares about guards).

Not sure what you're referring to here, we're doing fine in PvP fights. I'm up 15% still and that's after dying to last nights 17 v 6 squad of Mhaldorians a few times...

• How do we rationalize not caring about exterminations? Even given that they "heal themselves" after a year?

Just from reading posts here and interacting ICly with other folks, especially people who are doing the rejuvenating, it feels pretty obvious that Mhaldor doesn't have anything to lose, really. Other than shrines to Sartan and guards.

As a faction based around Nature, it seems like it would be out of character to just be like "screw those exterms! Screw that harm to Nature!" Eleusis doesn't get the luxury of having nothing to lose, other than guards and shrines to Gaia or Artemis, because it's completely out of character. It's also why (aside from people just not being super interested in combat) it seems that people are not willing to overlook exterms and go on the offensive.

Kind of puts us between a rock and a hard place. We don't have any IC, meaningful way to make an actual dent in Mhaldor's resources, morale, or ethos in that specific way (above and beyond guards and shrines, which they can do to us). If we did maybe the situation with terms wouldn't be so ridiculous.

• Also I want to read that book @Florentino!

• Hold a battle to end the war over on Nishnatoba or something. Schedule it for a time anyone can make i.e a weekend, probably. Set clear outlines for the fight and conditions for victory/loss.

Or something. Work out some sort of clear cut win/loss conditions for wars or may as well delete the war mechanic.
  • Saeva said:

A group of us went out to hunt and defile last night and it turned into a big skirmish in the Ithmias for a good hour or two... Cresil walked into a wasps nest (grove) of a big group of Eleusians including Rangor. That was the point I expected them to gather up and effectively and painfully eject us from the forest. No go. Rangor didn't join in. Gotta say that confused me a little considering how gung-ho to lead the troops he is,  or to raid and skirmish. I kept waiting on surprise ambushes, but nothing. And that was the moment Mhaldor won the war in Saeva's mind. The General's spirit has been crushed!! Victory!

(I have no idea what he was in the middle of or why he didn't fight so don't take my words to heart as I know many of you will feel inclined to do)

It goes like this. "Work", "on phone", "writing an email", "colleague bugging me with questions".... or should I kill Saeva? :)

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

You can't just have a big fight and say that is that in Achaea. Every fight is situational, and different abilities are much stronger in different situations. Mhaldor is the king of line of sight combat currently, because we have TWO apostates, which is twice as many as we usually have, which means we can soulspear twice, and cause much rage, and we always have about 6-7 serpents willing to snipe.

Eleusis currently have a lot of monks and sentinels, AND A BLADEMASTER with a goddamn level 3 band so if we get caught in melee we get wrecked pretty hard. Obv our two apostates can occasionally escape because of blackwind, if they don't have a druid/sylvan that can flash within 4 seconds (or twice even, if they have quick witted and a diadem), but generally the rest of the group gets shrekt.

Organising a battle sounds like a horrific idea.

What we need is RPS. It is much better balanced than anything else in Achaea.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Rangor said:
    Saeva said:

A group of us went out to hunt and defile last night and it turned into a big skirmish in the Ithmias for a good hour or two... Cresil walked into a wasps nest (grove) of a big group of Eleusians including Rangor. That was the point I expected them to gather up and effectively and painfully eject us from the forest. No go. Rangor didn't join in. Gotta say that confused me a little considering how gung-ho to lead the troops he is,  or to raid and skirmish. I kept waiting on surprise ambushes, but nothing. And that was the moment Mhaldor won the war in Saeva's mind. The General's spirit has been crushed!! Victory!

(I have no idea what he was in the middle of or why he didn't fight so don't take my words to heart as I know many of you will feel inclined to do)

It goes like this. "Work", "on phone", "writing an email", "colleague bugging me with questions".... or should I kill Saeva? :)

Always go for the kill.

• Maybe part of the problem with the war system is that people treat it as something special, when it shouldn't be. Maybe setting conditions to war(!) shouldn't necessarily mean there has to be a winner or loser, and if people stopped thinking of it like this, and just kept raiding, defiling, exterming, ganking at the rate they normally would, then I don't think there'd be a real problem. Without non-stop ganking, there would be few complaints about soldiers being free pk too.

As an aside, I have always found it weird that Mhaldor has (seemingly) little obligation to defend the shrines of their Evil Divine Overlord, considering what he's supposed to mean for them. I've never had a Mhaldorian char, so I'm just curious about that. It is rather hard to fight a 'war' when one side has to care about something that is pretty easy to harm, and the other side can simply not care about anything. Except guards, I guess.

• A lot of Mhaldorians care about shrines. A lot of work goes into keeping them up. But nobody ever gets butt hurt over them, that I've seen. People just get to hunting and raise more is all.

• edited August 2014

The degree that Eleusian players get emotionally involved with the protecting of trees is kinda silly though. Sure RP being frustrated, rage at the gods and the mhaldorians, swear to tear their chests open, hold crazy ass rituals and all that. But I guess finding time for that inbetween the godawful long time it takes to burn down and rejuvenate trees can be hard. :pensive: 

Maybe if all the druids/sylvans weren't so old-fashioned and just let me make them a auto-rejuvenating script they would have more time to think of other things. :)

• Rangor said:

The degree that Eleusian players get emotionally involved with the protecting of trees is kinda silly though. Sure RP being frustrated, rage at the gods and the mhaldorians, swear to tear their chests open, hold crazy ass rituals and all that. But I guess finding time for that inbetween the godawful long time it takes to burn down and rejuvenate trees can be hard. :pensive: 

Maybe if all the druids/sylvans weren't so old-fashioned and just let me make them a auto-rejuvenating script they would have more time to think of other things. :)

I'd like to add that it's probably nothing a script can help with when you're forced to spend half an hour (or more) doing literally nothing except cleaning up the mess. Sure, you could afk with that script (and maybe get shanked), but that's still half an hour you could have spend doing something more fun like combat, or productive like harvesting. It's also impossible to ignore exterminations and letting them heal on their own, just like Mhaldor is not ever going to tolerate a Gaian shrine on their Isle for very long.

At least for me, it's not so much the "Oh no, someone extermed an entire forest, that fiend!" but the "Oh god, some poor sod spent half an hour rejuvenating that." and I get cranky when I'm that poor sod.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    edited August 2014

Alrena said:
    Maybe part of the problem with the war system is that people treat it as something special, when it shouldn't be. Maybe setting conditions to war(!) shouldn't necessarily mean there has to be a winner or loser, and if people stopped thinking of it like this, and just kept raiding, defiling, exterming, ganking at the rate they normally would, then I don't think there'd be a real problem. Without non-stop ganking, there would be few complaints about soldiers being free pk too.

Have you also considered Achaea's current political atmosphere and past history, which is peppered with loads of war stories six as the War of Humanity, Wars of Succession, Shallam-Ashtan war, the Black Wave, War of the Divine Child and the Saga of Bal'met? 

War (and the interim war system that we come up with as players) is and should always be a bit of a big deal in Achaea because it is not supposed to be just some regular conflict that is propagated by its involved opponents.

"Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Yeah, when war breaks out it should be a step above the brimming, day-to-day hostilities.

• I doubt you'd get us to agree on what the outcome should be though, and therein lies the problem. :)

• edited August 2014
    Herenicus said:

Since we probably won't have another crack at an Eleusis-Mhaldor war for awhile, isn't it incumbent on us to make it special and worthwhile? Hostility can and should be expressed in creative ways that advance a great story. Using game mechanics to spin a grief dial from six to eleven seems like a wasted opportunity.

You're right, though in large part this may be because neither side was prepared for this war in any way. Now things will just escalate until one side pulls the plug. War can be fun, but I think they could use a bit more preparation, perhaps a tiny bit of ooc consulting with the opposing city leader, or even IC, really. Instead of bam, War, you can go and meet first and -then- declare war on an agreed upon date when all conditions are set?

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Rangor said:
    I doubt you'd get us to agree on what the outcome should be though, and therein lies the problem. :)

Like real wars, the results should be mixed. Once we get beyond a mutually-exhausting total-war mentality, we can happily afford each other opportunities to make indelible marks that we can react to as characters, and look back on for years with pride or anger, and thereby roleplay being tangibly affected and changed by the war in some degree. We brainstorm a few ideas, pitch them at the canvas like fruit-flinging monkeys, and see what sticks.    

• Alrena said:
    Herenicus said:

Since we probably won't have another crack at an Eleusis-Mhaldor war for awhile, isn't it incumbent on us to make it special and worthwhile? Hostility can and should be expressed in creative ways that advance a great story. Using game mechanics to spin a grief dial from six to eleven seems like a wasted opportunity.

You're right, though in large part this may be because neither side was prepared for this war in any way. Now things will just escalate until one side pulls the plug. War can be fun, but I think they could use a bit more preparation, perhaps a tiny bit of ooc consulting with the opposing city leader, or even IC, really. Instead of bam, War, you can go and meet first and -then- declare war on an agreed upon date when all conditions are set?

What the fuck.  That sounds very Cyrenian of you, not to mention it's just an excuse.  How would preparing beforehand have changed anything?  And if it would have changed something, why can you still not do it now?

• XerXer Langley
    edited August 2014
    Selfrezz OP without a cooldown. Why hasn't a cooldown akin to soulcage/mog been suggested for it yet? Even once every hour would be reasonable. Also, soulrezz for others as well. Though if self-rezz gets a CD, soulrezz also gets nerfed indirectly, so perhaps not both simultaneously, but one or the other definitely needs to be not as spammable. 
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0

i agree, you should only be able to evoke soulspear from corpse once an hour, but only if it's somebody elses corpse, or you should not be able to evoke from your own corpse more than once an hour, but you can spam from anyone elses corpses.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde

to be fair, I think self rezz is fine. It's a factional perk and I'm fine with them having a way to get back onto my soulspear faster.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • XerXer Langley
    edited August 2014

I'm fine with the ability itself in terms of what it does, but the main problem comes about from killing a rezzer, waiting a bit, self-rezzing a few rooms away, renounce grace, instantly rezz two or three souls who get back into the fray. Even if you contain them to the room where they died with eye sigils, self-rezz in room, move, renounce, come back in, and resurrecting people isn't that hard to manage in larger groups that have been whittled down on both sides.

In the case of spear, a maximum limit per necromancer could be imposed. It already decays, but a faster decay rate is fine as well. I'm not adverse to that. The comparison's still a bit forced if you want to compare it to cage and mog, in terms of the way I phrased my post. Now back to actually preparing for my damn thesis presentation before I fail my Master's degree

e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • I know you were around during 650. We had this same exact problem on Meropis during the hunt. It's pretty insane. And we eyed -a lot-.

• KerriaKerria The Red Lioness
    Jhui said:
    Alrena said:
    Herenicus said:

What the fuck.  That sounds very Cyrenian of you, not to mention it's just an excuse.  How would preparing beforehand have changed anything?  And if it would have changed something, why can you still not do it now?

Not Cyrenian. Wouldn't be at war in the fist place.

• Xer said:

Selfrezz OP without a cooldown. Why hasn't a cooldown akin to soulcage/mog been suggested for it yet? Even once every hour would be reasonable. Also, soulrezz for others as well. Though if self-rezz gets a CD, soulrezz also gets nerfed indirectly, so perhaps not both simultaneously, but one or the other definitely needs to be not as spammable. 

Lol whine more when you have soulspears, xer. Will trade any day.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • XerXer Langley
    edited August 2014

Which is why I'm curious nothing was done. I believe something was said about it being factional perk, and to leave it as is, but I still think that it's a great factional perk if self-rezz was limited to once per hour. It grants the same overarching purpose, still a great usage in a large melee once, but without it being overbearing by being able to do it ALL the time. Quite literally, the rezzer just needs to get to some grove, grove conceal, get all the souls to autowalk there, renounce grace, and soulrezz a whole bunch of people in under a minute. The grove could even be in the same area and it'd be extremely difficult to get there in time before at least a few souls are ressurected already, making a huge shift in melee fights, particularly elongated ones, or if people are chasing.

EDIT: I'm pointing out what I think is a problem in how a particular ability is used, and suggesting a possible change while trying to retain its overall flavour and effectiveness. If you have a problem with soulspear, I'm more than willing to talk about how it changed beyond just lolnerf plz. Which it has been multiple times. There are definitely ways it can still be modified to encourage healthier aspects of Achaean combat, but that's a different discussion you're free to open. Lol, whining. Whining is what your fellow Eleusians do when you leave after a single snipe because you don't want to die. And I'd take that trade as a whole anyday. I'm pretty sure Ashtan would trade Truename for soulrezz/selfrezz instantly too.

e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • edited August 2014

We rarely even use truename anymore so yeah. Gimmegimmegimme.

Cut him some slack. He ran after TWO camuses.