Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

What Happened To You Today?

1680681683685686702

Comments

  • TasusTasus Member Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Dunn said:
    It reminds me of a shardblade wound from Stormlight Archives. Just severs the soul from that portion of the body and causes no overt wound.
    Okay. We can be best friends. I see you are a man of culture. Burnt out eye sockets for everyone!
    DunnJethanDynosTorinn
  • SynthusSynthus Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Tasus said:
    Dunn said:
    It reminds me of a shardblade wound from Stormlight Archives. Just severs the soul from that portion of the body and causes no overt wound.
    Okay. We can be best friends. I see you are a man of culture. Burnt out eye sockets for everyone!
    @Dunn @Tasus

    I've heard really good things about the Stormlight Archives and I'm considering borrowing The Way of Kings from a friend after I finish up with Dune instead of going on to Dune Messiah.

    That said, I had friends recommend me The Wheel of Time and The Sword of Truth series, but I just couldn't really get into them.

    Pacing seems to be a big deciding factor for whether or not my brain latches onto a novel. I've been told The Way of Kings has a number of protagonists that the plot jumps around to, which is really appealing to me, but I'm concerned that the pacing would still be sluggish. Would you guys say the Stormlight Archives moves slow-ish or fast-ish?
    Jiraishin
  • DunnDunn Member, Secret Squirrel Posts: 6,199 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    A mix, in my opinion. The points of view do jump around a bit and each book in the series has a different "main character" that experiences flashbacks in interludes. I like the way it's setup. Mistborn is another good series of Sanderson's that I would recommend.


  • TasusTasus Member Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Synthus said:
    Tasus said:
    Dunn said:
    It reminds me of a shardblade wound from Stormlight Archives. Just severs the soul from that portion of the body and causes no overt wound.
    Okay. We can be best friends. I see you are a man of culture. Burnt out eye sockets for everyone!
    @Dunn @Tasus

    I've heard really good things about the Stormlight Archives and I'm considering borrowing The Way of Kings from a friend after I finish up with Dune instead of going on to Dune Messiah.

    That said, I had friends recommend me The Wheel of Time and The Sword of Truth series, but I just couldn't really get into them.

    Pacing seems to be a big deciding factor for whether or not my brain latches onto a novel. I've been told The Way of Kings has a number of protagonists that the plot jumps around to, which is really appealing to me, but I'm concerned that the pacing would still be sluggish. Would you guys say the Stormlight Archives moves slow-ish or fast-ish?
    Like all books of that length, it has it’s moments, but when it’s time for the action, it’s TIME for the action and I feel like it overall is a decent pace. I love the books. Hands down Nyneve favorite series so far. 
    SynthusJinosTorinn
  • KaedanKaedan Member Posts: 41 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Synthus said:
    Tasus said:
    Dunn said:
    It reminds me of a shardblade wound from Stormlight Archives. Just severs the soul from that portion of the body and causes no overt wound.
    Okay. We can be best friends. I see you are a man of culture. Burnt out eye sockets for everyone!
    @Dunn @Tasus

    I've heard really good things about the Stormlight Archives and I'm considering borrowing The Way of Kings from a friend after I finish up with Dune instead of going on to Dune Messiah.

    That said, I had friends recommend me The Wheel of Time and The Sword of Truth series, but I just couldn't really get into them.

    Pacing seems to be a big deciding factor for whether or not my brain latches onto a novel. I've been told The Way of Kings has a number of protagonists that the plot jumps around to, which is really appealing to me, but I'm concerned that the pacing would still be sluggish. Would you guys say the Stormlight Archives moves slow-ish or fast-ish?
    In Stormlight Archvies, there is a lot of perspective jumping, but not a whole lot. And usually, it's only a couple characters, not as many as Wheel of Time or even A Song of Ice and Fire (aside from prologue, intermission, and epilogue chapters which are typically one-off viewpoints). Overall, Stormlight is my second favorite fantasy series, having read all the ones you've mentioned. Pacing is pretty good - the books are really long, but they latch onto you surprisingly easily and you'll have moved through quite a bit of it before you realise. Definitely better than WoT's later books. My sole problem is that Sanderson's books exist in a multiverse, and in Stormlight there's currently a crossover character and item from a series of his I haven't read. I felt like I was missing out a bit.

    But for a fantasy series with good pacing and no real character jumps (just a couple of small time jumps, the main story is literally a story being told to someone else), I'd also recommend my hands-down favorite fantasy series: The Kingkiller Chronicles. Only two books, and the third of the trilogy is... coming eventually. But the two that are available are utterly amazing.
    SynthusJinos
  • JiraishinJiraishin trapped in a thawing block of iceMember Posts: 1,922 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    The first one was very good but confusing unless you like reading things multiple times and piecing them together (I do), the second one was absolutely fantastic, the third one was really good and less confusing than the first one. 
    ________________________
    The soul of Ashmond says, "Always with the sniping."
    SynthusKaedan
  • DunnDunn Member, Secret Squirrel Posts: 6,199 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    You gotta go all in and read every Sanderson Cosmere (his multiverse) book!


    SynthusKaedanThaisen
  • JinosJinos Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I just started a book from the Cadfael Chronicles, and now you all have me jotting down more things to read as soon as possible.

    Why you do this to me?  :anguished:
    "Alas. Alas for Hamlin. The Mayor sent east, west, north, and south. To offer the Piper by word of mouth. Wherever it was men's lot to find him, silver and gold to his heart's content. If only he'd return the way he went."
  • DunnDunn Member, Secret Squirrel Posts: 6,199 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited May 22
    Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan was a good read. It’s a part of a trilogy but books 2 and 3 are awful. @Makarios will back me up on this one. The first book is a great read and feels like a full picture without the remainder of the books. 


  • SynthusSynthus Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Tasus said:

    Like all books of that length, it has it’s moments, but when it’s time for the action, it’s TIME for the action and I feel like it overall is a decent pace. I love the books. Hands down Nyneve favorite series so far. 
    As long as the tension keeps building to those action points, I'm good with it taking a while to get there. It's the idyllic idle in most novels that strain me, conversations that go on too long or exposition that reaches too far. I don't need a full chapter about some ancient Elvish forging techniques or the composition of Elven bladeglass to explain that it cut clean through conventional armours in the middle of fight. 

    Kaedan said:

    In Stormlight Archvies, there is a lot of perspective jumping, but not a whole lot. And usually, it's only a couple characters, not as many as Wheel of Time or even A Song of Ice and Fire (aside from prologue, intermission, and epilogue chapters which are typically one-off viewpoints). Overall, Stormlight is my second favorite fantasy series, having read all the ones you've mentioned. Pacing is pretty good - the books are really long, but they latch onto you surprisingly easily and you'll have moved through quite a bit of it before you realise. Definitely better than WoT's later books. My sole problem is that Sanderson's books exist in a multiverse, and in Stormlight there's currently a crossover character and item from a series of his I haven't read. I felt like I was missing out a bit.
    I don't mind perspective jumping really as long as it's not too often. A couple of perspective shifts in a chapter are fine, but I really enjoy whole chapters dedicated to a single perspective with an encapsulated arc. That does dishearten me that there's gonna be context that I don't fully appreciate, but if it's intriguing enough, that should lead me to the other novels.

    Dunn said:
    You gotta go all in and read every Sanderson Cosmere (his multiverse) book!
    Achaea or books - There can be only one! ... well, not really, but I'll be years reading these books if I pick them all up. 
  • TorinnTorinn Member Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Stormlight Archives is very good.  I enjoyed them immensely.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
    DunnSynthus
  • MorthifMorthif Member Posts: 1,636 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Dunn said:
    Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan was a good read. It’s a part of a trilogy but books 2 and 3 are awful. @Makarios will back me up on this one. The first book is a great read and feels like a full picture without the remainder of the books. 
    Book 1: Amazing
    Book 2: Ehh
    Book 3: Awful
    DunnMakarios
  • TelendriethTelendrieth Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Dunn said:
    It reminds me of a shardblade wound from Stormlight Archives. Just severs the soul from that portion of the body and causes no overt wound.
    The cull instantkill does just that. You basically scythe through them and rip out their spirit writhing in agony, all as their body crumples lifelessly to the ground.
  • ZhedanZhedan Member Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited May 22
    Pretty sick of the Coalition jumping in on every fight but when Hashan consistently beats them... it makes it a lot better:

    Krizal > Ammar, Elon, Gilliam, Zhedan, and myself raided Eleusis. We were met by Coalition forces consisting of Andraste, Waayen, Misukami, Athelas, Faedwyn, Landon, Eril, Sorlia, Dunn, Tarvius, Iyani, Gloern, Bronislav, Jinos, Onofor, Marcael, Braxxus, Jaeide, but we were able to overcome them even after we lost Ammar, and successfully detonated the tank.
    Asmodron
  • DunnDunn Member, Secret Squirrel Posts: 6,199 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Wasn’t even in their party. You guys with the 4 man savior squad is pretty funny too. 


    ZhedanCaelan
  • LennLenn Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Dunn said:
    It reminds me of a shardblade wound from Stormlight Archives. Just severs the soul from that portion of the body and causes no overt wound.
    The cull instantkill does just that. You basically scythe through them and rip out their spirit writhing in agony, all as their body crumples lifelessly to the ground.
    I wish I could put a death scythe on my shadow scythe.
  • MroxylMroxyl Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    RP wise, why wouldn't the Coalition work together to defend one another when they can? I'd think that's part of the idea of being allied for the duration of this.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,162 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited May 22
    Mroxyl said:
    RP wise, why wouldn't the Coalition work together to defend one another when they can? I'd think that's part of the idea of being allied for the duration of this.
    Because then the 'teth jump in and people whine about them being op.

    Personally,  I am all fine with the coalition banding together when the 'teth are around, but it feels a little overdone otherwise. Mostly though just sad the 'teth have been away :(

    And you won't understand the cause of your grief...


    ...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

    AsmodronMroxyl
  • ZhedanZhedan Member Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Dunn said:
    Wasn’t even in their party. You guys with the 4 man savior squad is pretty funny too. 
    That's fair. Still having to track three different groupings (even if you're solo) and beat each of them is pretty awesome. 
    Asmodron
  • LennLenn Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Penwize said:
    Lenn said:
    Dunn said:
    It reminds me of a shardblade wound from Stormlight Archives. Just severs the soul from that portion of the body and causes no overt wound.
    The cull instantkill does just that. You basically scythe through them and rip out their spirit writhing in agony, all as their body crumples lifelessly to the ground.
    I wish I could put a death scythe on my shadow scythe.
    Yeah it's infinitely weird to me that you can't upgrade the death scythe to an L3 DW scythe.  Having two scythes is weird.  Then again most talismans and their complete lack of customisation is weird and one of my biggest gripes right now.
    @Makarios said they were considering it a long while back, but I assume they either decided against it or that the idea slipped through the cracks.
  • AsmodronAsmodron Member Posts: 2,913 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited May 23
    When your auto script fails you, and you spam the room with:

    .
    .

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    Swordmaster Colbey darts forward, and spins behind Mathonwy, slicing open his hamstring.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    Lightning-quick, Tasus jabs Swordmaster Colbey with a Soulpiercer.

    With deadly grace, Swordmaster Colbey, feints to the right, and then slashes Mathonwy across the abdomen.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    With deadly grace, Swordmaster Colbey, feints to the right, and then slashes Mathonwy across the
    abdomen.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.

    Ryzan picks up a tiny black and white kitten.
    A tiny black and white kitten squirms impatiently, slipping out of Ryzan's grasp.
    .
    .





    Ryzan
  • PyoriPyori Member Posts: 1,617 @ - Epic Achaean
    Maybe he just really wanted the kitten.

    Asmodron
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 6,160 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Would you call that heavy petting?


    CaelanZbacoBoosteya
  • SthenoStheno Member Posts: 94 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Ilira said:
    "Fond thoughts of your homeland, Mhaldor, fill your head as you leave it, ready to embark on new adventures elsewhere."

    Hey, little songbird, look all around you.
    See how the vipers and vultures surround you.
    Ilira
Sign In to Comment.