What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• Jinxed.
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s43yLMgXXOU

Hundreds of kills, a man and his rifle, embody the Sisu of Finns
    Stay out of sight, and cover your head, when he pulls the trigger you're dead!
    You're in the sniper's siiiiight, his first kill toniiiight...

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited May 2019
    Jiraishin said:
    Kresslack said:
    That's the distinction I was trying to focus on: small groups vs an individual. Small raiding parties, both historically and in the sense of Achaea, are effective when used right, especially when utilizing guerilla tactics.
    IRL a lone sniper (for example) who positions themselves right can kill a lot of people in an urban environment. Still not seeing a problem.
    I think this is more of a common tv/movie trope than anything. As a sniper IRL your primary focus is usually awaiting the opportunity to eliminate a single target and remain undetected while waiting for that window of opportunity (which may never even come). Once you take that shot, you've revealed your presence and sometimes your position, and have a small window of opportunity to get out before being flushed out or overwhelmed.

Not to say there aren't instances (especially during WW1 and WW2) of this sort of thing popping up, but those kills are averaged over a career, not typically a single engagement.

Either way, sorta derailed the thread completely off the tracks at this point, and for that I apologize.

• But why are you referring to IRL in a game where you can turn into a tornado and throw people to the stratosphere as a combat tactic?
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Kiet said:
    But why are you referring to IRL in a game where you can turn into a tornado and throw people to the stratosphere as a combat tactic?
    It was in direct reply to Jiraishin's IRL reference, hence why I quoted her when replying.

• @Kiet You said it didn't happen IRL, but it's more accurate to say it rarely happens, but indeed does happen, and the people who do it go down as legends.

They even sometimes get songs sung about them.
    Kresslack said:
    Jiraishin said:
    Kresslack said:
    That's the distinction I was trying to focus on: small groups vs an individual. Small raiding parties, both historically and in the sense of Achaea, are effective when used right, especially when utilizing guerilla tactics.
    IRL a lone sniper (for example) who positions themselves right can kill a lot of people in an urban environment. Still not seeing a problem.
    I think this is more of a common tv/movie trope than anything. As a sniper IRL your primary focus is usually awaiting the opportunity to eliminate a single target and remain undetected while waiting for that window of opportunity (which may never even come). Once you take that shot, you've revealed your presence and sometimes your position, and have a small window of opportunity to get out before being flushed out or overwhelmed.
    Conceded, but punching above your weight using the high ground and cover can be and has been done. Beyond that, Achaea does not fully correspond to RL military situations-- God knows magically beckoning people into your waiting forces would be useful IRL. And lone raiders act pretty much how I'd expect people, not just players, to act. 

I actually find it interesting sometimes to ponder how magic, instant travel, and rezzes change the nature of tactics in Achaea. You have to be a lot more worried about someone getting into your defenses and behind you, and the risk calculations are different. But that doesn't make it ooc, it just makes it different because the capabilities of the fighters are different. Certainly there's no lack of motivation to harass the enemy , even in their strongholds.

• edited May 2019
    🎵 There once was a lad known only as Kiet,

Who would raid heathen cities against odds no one would bet. 🎵

🎵 From Pantheon to Orchard he'd evade through the streets,

Laying waste to Cyrenians in legendary feats! 🎵

• Yeah, there are definitely OOC considerations, like how a single invader can quickly become a full raid, or that some cities have various kinds of mandatory defense policies.

I don't agree that it doesn't make sense ICly, but Achaea's weird where you ICly want to demoralize your enemies, but perhaps not so much OOCly.
  • edited May 2019
    Skye said:
    Don't really know how often Kiet's been running into the city, but I just want to point out that if you're doing it more than twice a day for more than half an hour each time (not including whatever raid someone else decides to do, nobody logs these infiltrations), people do play for things other than your entertainment of chasing you around. Some people do only have a limited amount of time to play. >_>
    I tend to not do it more than twice a day! If no one engages I might try more times but mostly I've only actually had a fight once a day, twice if we also raid with group later.
  • edited May 2019
    I respect people that go in to test the waters and see if they'll get any action. Keeps things lively.

Not so much those that go in and about, causing mayhem, when it is extremely clear there is no defenders available. Moreso when they leave at the first sign of a resistance forming. That simply doesnt seem like a healthy mindset for the game and is based on acting out in hatred..rather than for competition.

If Kiet is going in to see if anyone wants to contend with him, then imo I cant see fault there.
  • @Jiraishin the story of 'White Death' is as great as the song.

• So, I'm sure this is totally useless, but, to any admin, @Nicola & @Makarios

Please please please work death talismans into the rotation somehow this next month, in the promos or the shop. The deathcape may as well be a necessary artifact for the experience event, and completing one is basically impossible right now. Being in the talisman shop drained a lot of the free pieces, and this was after a massive rarity skew had been around for a while, so the pieces that are remaining aren't terribly useful, and there's been no new influx in quite a while.

In most cases, talismans tend to just be a boost, but this is a case where I just don't know what you're supposed to do without it, and it'd be -really- nice for those of us still trying to complete one to at least have that chance.

Death set was in the Delos shop two or three months ago, so I don't think it's likely to happen there. Would be cool if it went back into the promo rotation though.

• It'll have been three months since the last time it was, so it'd definitely be a little strange. On the other hand, because the deathcape is pretty much the one talisman artefact that everyone wants, death hitting that rotation a bit more often than the others wouldn't seem unreasonable, if they're not looking to make it a standard artefact.
  • Death set was already in it recently, yeah. Pretty sure the initial post said they wouldn't return to the Delos shop for at least 6 rotations.

• Your assessment that deathcape is necessary to participate in the xp event is wrong.

You can definitely participate and win without a deathcape.

• I'd give good odds on every person that places having a deathcape

50% hp is just a monumental boost. Maybe if you have every other defensive artifact, you might hit enough health that the increase stops mattering, but even then, it puts you in a much better position to fight in a faster lesserformed class instead of dragon, and will always be a pretty massive advantage over someone who doesn't.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    God that would make me so happy
  • edited May 2019
    Didn't death cape already exist during the last games? I'm pretty sure Tesha did not/does not have one(?) and she won. She's also very lightly artied in general afaik. I could be wrong. I think you're overestimating how important it is, though.
    Keorin said:
    I'd give good odds on every person that places having a deathcape

50% hp is just a monumental boost. Maybe if you have every other defensive artifact, you might hit enough health that the increase stops mattering, but even then, it puts you in a much better position to fight in a faster lesserformed class instead of dragon, and will always be a pretty massive advantage over someone who doesn't.
    Deathcape is pretty fucking sweet, ngl. It's not actually necessary, though, Farrah's right.

• Farrah said:
    Didn't death cape already exist during the last games? I'm pretty sure Tesha did not/does not have one(?) and she won. She's also very lightly artied in general afaik. I could be wrong. I think you're overestimating how important it is, though.
    She had Antonius's arties and runes the whole time, plus people helping her clear hard rooms. Rumor has it that there was someone getting mobs to low health for her to finish off too, but I wasn't in her maze so I can't be certain that part is true.

I was bashing by myself 100% of the time, and effectively had about 1/3 of my time made useless due to, well, Keorin spamming radiance or attacking me for hours.

Death Cape isn't what you need to worry about, I promise!

• I..don't remember Antonius being there. Or him handing off arties for that time...
  • Adrik said:
    I..don't remember Antonius being there. Or him handing off arties for that time...
    I do. I wrote an entire script to track my artefacts for it, though it's been very useful since too.

The event before that in Y700 I was in Tesha's maze bashing things down for her to kill to speed up point gain. That might be what Cooper is remembering, I don't know if she also had people doing it in 750.
  • I placed in the XP Event in 750 with only a L1 crit pendant and L1 Mayan Bracelets. Its hard to compete with the best of the best, but to say you can't place would be wrong.
  • edited May 2019
    Cooper said:
    Farrah said:
    She had Antonius's arties and runes the whole time, plus people helping her clear hard rooms. Rumor has it that there was someone getting mobs to low health for her to finish off too, but I wasn't in her maze so I can't be certain that part is true.

I was bashing by myself 100% of the time, and effectively had about 1/3 of my time made useless due to, well, Keorin spamming radiance or attacking me for hours.

Death Cape isn't what you need to worry about, I promise!

She did have people helping her for sure. That has nothing to do with owning a death cape. And if death cape is loanable, there's no reason another person cannot do that too. The championship games have always been a team effort. Other people helping/hurting can absolutely influence who wins and is supposed to. Nicator was a great leader and the staff is meant to be awarded to people others rally behind, like him, or at least those traits are meant to be an advantage. Otherwise, it wouldn't be set up the way it is with so much ability for others to help/hurt a champion.

My point is you don't have to buy a death cape to compete. You can grab a group of friends and make a stand without buying a death cape. I think it's significant that last games someone took first place with very few of her own arties.
  • I feel like Cooper was agreeing with you...