What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• Ygia said:
    [snip]
    This isn't right. And it certainly isn't 'fun'. I don't see myself enjoying Achaea until this event is over.
    I might retire if they never turn their backs on Tsol'teth. Not like character retire. Retire retire.
    How can you look at all of what's happened and think this is good.
    I'm right there with you, @Ygia.

From a character perspective, Synthus is ruined for what I intended him for. He was supposed to be a happy-go-lucky guy that hung out with friends, ran a shop, maybe even sailed a bit here and there with a ship. Now though? He's consumed with rage and fury. He will not stop trying to take back his home until he either has or until he has died his final death. That's gonna screw with his head for years, because it's becoming easier and easier to justify a "take back home by any means" approach with him via the in-game lore and events.  

From a player perspective... fuck this event. It's been two weeks and I'm already burnt the fuck out on it, and I feel like I don't want to touch another event for at least three months. I still appreciate that there's a ton of work going into it, but fuck it. I really hope there's never another event like this again. Being ripped away from your main hub of interaction is shit, being unable to access mechanics because trying to enter your city just *poof*s you to the resurrection cave is a shitty lockout, not being able to actively fight for your home is shit, taking two steps down the goddamn highway and running into Tide EVERYWHERE is annoyingly stupid, being able to unwind once an IRL day is a stupid mechanic, the whole shadow shrine mechanic is stupid and as far as I'm concerned broken, spawn immunity for tide creatures is stupid, and blackout stuns on ogres are beyond stupid.

I can't wait for things to go back to normal, but I'm really concerned that they won't after this event. If that's the case, like you, I'm probably going to retire from Achaea as a whole.
  • Zhedan said:
    Really enjoying the Tsol'teth Events newsposts. It brings me back to highschool, reading a few paragraphs of Shakespeare and understanding parts, with a Sparknotes summary at the end to tie it together. It's fun to try and wrestle with their lingo, then have that "Ahhh" moment at the end. 
    That is one thing I've always enjoyed. Then looking back at older ones and spotting little clues or things you missed too!
  • I thought that I would pop in yesterday to see if much has changed. In a span of four hours, I have been apprised that a lot of changes have happened, especially when I found out Cyrene is now Tsol'teth territory.

And then I subsequently got involved in a crusade where everyone was dying. Talk about meeting the talk of the town, too! I got vortexed in by Gattan'bahar and died in two hits.

Lots of things to catch up on, especially since how plots and events seemed to happen really quickly over the span of just a day! Can't wait

• Woke up to an unlikely alliance.
    Hurried to resign as head of the White Wave and pass it on to @Lii.
    Trying to come to grips with self doubt, and hoping my few friends won't drop me.

• I had a customer service rep very earnestly assure me this event is NOT pointed at me personally, designed to take all enjoyment out of the game....

Clueless much? I don't think anyone has said that. Just that this event sucks majorly.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    speak for yourself
  • I think Cyrene (as an organization) would have more fun with the event if it attempted to diversify its approach. Israyhl talks to the Tsol'teth on the daily, and is learning more and more about their organization, their proliferation, and how they interact with each other within the Meld. But insofar, as a city, Cyrene keeps belting the same "We don't negotiate with terrorists!" slogan while ignoring the fact that the terrorists kicked us out of our own country and locked an impenetrable steel door behind them. 

I know (personally) I am getting a little fatigued by the event, but I think that is mostly in that my org is doing nothing but trying the same things that are not working. I give kudos to the people in Hashan and Targossas for deciding to try something different. Here is to hoping more find an IC reason to do the same. 

In staying on topic: Israyhl learned today about the different lines of Tsol'teth, and has been able to infer why the Tsol'teth are so bent on processing and why the "no procreation" law is even a law for Cyrene. 
  • @Israyhl or maybe people are attached to their text-city enough to not want to cower before a foreign military force? Even if there is an easier way out.

I'm personally enjoying the moral dilemmas people are facing. I just hope it doesn't devolve into endless bickering. Which is understandable given what has happened, but there should be a limit.

I'm an insular person, and I play someone who can be just as insular, but I've been able to interact with so many people from other cities. It's been great.  =)
    "Alas. Alas for Hamlin. The Mayor sent east, west, north, and south. To offer the Piper by word of mouth. Wherever it was men's lot to find him, silver and gold to his heart's content. If only he'd return the way he went."
  • Israyhl said:

It is interesting seeing people try to rationalize their moral, ethical, and political dilemmas in the face of being a displaced populace. Even more so in being a displaced populace that reacts strongly (for good reason) to all things the Tsol'teth touch. It is an evolution of Cyrene's identity and I do not think that its position as the "haven of neutrality" will hold water even should the city be regained. It has chosen a side in all this, and in doing so aligned itself against those who have chosen their side. If Cyrene regains its status as a city-state (or even not and exists in its quasi-state) I will remain interested to see what face it will play on the world stage. 
    My guess is if the city is returned it will likely go back to where it was... if it isn’t then it’s probably up in the air.... with a lot less people 🙁
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    I'm super interested in how this all is going to turn out. I had to qq -immediately- after the meeting with the tsol'teth (I really needed to qq like 10 minutes before it ended, so after waiting for it to end I couldn't stick around at all). 

Jir is so fucking depressed though, oh my god.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • I'm personally very hopeful an admin set a reminder to respond to @Synthus in the next couple RL years.

As for me, I joined Hashan, and I also remembered that depthswalkers can displace.

I've seriously been looking sadly at icewalls (flying over or tumbling past) for weeks, maybe even months.
  • The first time I as a player went through one of those 'unfolding events' type things, it was absolutely frustrating, to be sure, and I can say now that I definitely took it way more personally than it was intended to be taken. But here's the thing -- later on, I recognized that it gave my character real pathos and an arc and access to the sort of unknown unexpected pleasures that can only really come from having gone through that sort of thing. I can point my finger back at a number of events that really made Achaea worth playing and all of them, literally all of them, had roots in something that bummed me out as a person.

Have faith in the volunteers!
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • @Dunn Thought you said last night the bashing was your favourite part, and wish there was more of it?

• Good thing I didn't log in last night. Did you get duped by my Dunnpleganger?

• Dunn said:
    Good thing I didn't log in last night. Did you get duped by my Dunnpleganger?
    MeSsAgEs ArE a ThInG

• I broke into Ashtan and shroomed a monolith to get fragments like a real serpent.