What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• Kiet said:
    reminiscing about hirst's empress enemy into guards -> auto unenemy self alias
    Don't forget write journal on radiance.

• Pyori said:
    Iakimen said:
    Truax said:

Ashtan rarely uses guards. Those are reserved for try-hard teams who come in rolling so deep you’d think Adele was leading them. 

Are you fucking joking? Are we playing the same game?
    I remember Hirst calling them against literally anybody, before he got yelled at and told to stop doing it. Not sure about recently; the past two raids that happened while I was logged in, I was afk, but I know it was definitely a problem at some point.
    No city "rarely" uses guards, to be honest.
    I think it's less about cities and dependent on people defending. I wanted to use them last night because I felt the odds against us deserved their us, but I'm glad I fucked it up because I learned a hell of a lot more about defense strats (and not being a derp when checking their location) than just calling guards ever could. I'm happier to learn and lose a room than CFH and save a room, but not learn more strats/potential team comp setups.
  • edited November 2018
    Minifie said:
    I think it's less about cities and dependent on people defending. I wanted to use them last night because I felt the odds against us deserved their us, but I'm glad I fucked it up because I learned a hell of a lot more about defense strats (and not being a derp when checking their location) than just calling guards ever could. I'm happier to learn and lose a room than CFH and save a room, but not learn more strats/potential team comp setups.
    Probably, I was just saying that nobody can really call another city out for using guards. There isn't a single city that "rarely" uses guards. They all use them when they feel like using them. Calling people out of it is just tacky tbh.

• Pyori said:
    Minifie said:
    Probably, I was just saying that nobody can really call another city out for using guards. There isn't a single city that "rarely" uses guards. They all use them when they feel like using them. Calling people out of it is just tacky tbh.
    Yeah, gotta always prepare for the possibility of them joining the fray, they exist for a reason (also I didn't even use font last night wtf? Holy shit I'm dumb and bad). It was fun though, our cathedral entrance got bombed too, so walking in there is a pain in the ass :D.
  • edited November 2018

You wrap a lithe weasel in a tight headlock and repeatedly rub your knuckles painfully across his scalp.

The weasel squeals in pain for a moment, before it expires.

• I miss @Hirst . He was my awful buddy, and we were going to get married until he figured out I was just accepting the proposal to steal those rings then breaking it immediately. :(
  • Pyori said:
    Iakimen said:
    Truax said:

Ashtan rarely uses guards. Those are reserved for try-hard teams who come in rolling so deep you’d think Adele was leading them. 

I remember Hirst calling them against literally anybody, before he got yelled at and told to stop doing it. Not sure about recently; the past two raids that happened while I was logged in, I was afk, but I know it was definitely a problem at some point.
    Yeah. That hasn’t happened in ages. And when it does, it’s usually for the reasons I already mentioned.

Kiet said:
    Truax said:
    Syndra said:
    Like I told Truax, you guys stop doing it to us, we'll stop doing it back. It's been a huge issue with Ashtan lately doing the guard thing. The only way to get you to see how much it sucks is to return the favour.

I think what he’s referencing is a “fair fight.” Another rare occurrence in Achaea, but something Ashtan still strives toward, so the conflict is meaningful. Obviously, Mhaldor has a different worldview, favoring “winning” instead, which makes sense but it may also make it the city to get guarded the most. 
    I think this post is a bit naive and biased (though Syndra's was too). Ashtan had 0 intention of engaging Mhaldor for a long time simply because we had Iakimen and a couple of other top tier PKers. We could come in with small groups, large groups, medium groups, but there was an excuse 80% of the time as long as the Iaki crew existed. It's no coincidence that Ashtan got over its 'let's not play with Mhaldor' basically as soon as Iaki (+ friends) was properly inactive again.
    To pretend that Ashtan (like every other city) isn't heavily biased in favor of trying to win would be ignoring how hard it was to get people to fight that specific Mhaldorian crew, regardless of numbers. This is, of course, ignoring the fact that when Ashtan was defending, our 4-trans newbie somehow counted the same as Penwize when they counted numbers. Or the times we brought -exactly- the amount of defenders Ashtan had with fairly even escrow on both sides and we got to sapience-witness people trying to argue they should defend while the others just blatantly wanted to deny Mhaldor a chance of winning at all. It's also ignoring the fact that several of the people who said Mhaldor was being unfair were happy to tag along with Jhui when Mhaldor had like 3 active players and claim that raiding one combatant and a few newbies with Jhui was fair.
    Does this mean Ashtan is Bad or something? No, it means they're just like any other city--less likely to fight if the fight seems difficult. Mhaldor's done this too, and honestly the only city that doesn't back away from fights they don't view themselves as having like 60%+ chance of winning is Cyrene, weirdly enough.
    Like Cooper/Taryius said, everyone judges matchups differently. Almost everytime someone says 'omg you brought too many' (barring stuff like people bringing 15+ people to a city with 4 people on cwho), it's because that person overestimates enemy newbies/midcoms or the enemy leader underestimates their own midcoms/top tiers. Or because one side has no way to know who's AFK for their 9th hour in a row on the other side or logged in from their phone while fighting fighting people in a black friday sale.

If you regularly raided with Ashtan, particularly the Aegeans, you’d know how much restraint is regularly imposed. We go in looking for fights, not automatic wins. 

Not saying that there aren’t times when we want to win and go to great lengths to do so, but I know we like to fight more than we like to guard generally. 
  • Yet you raid Hashan 3 times in one RL day, keeping on coming back until you blow a tank?  B)

I agree with Kiet and some of the other posts above. All cities have their own take on things, all players do, all of us have our own reasonings for seeing something as "fair" or balanced, all of us have reasons to use /  not use guards and there is never going to be a status quo across the board. It happens, no point bickering about it.

And we really need to stop with the circular "You did it first so we'll keep doing it until you stop" in a game where people have been playing for 20+ years. It's a habit my kids have broken and surely we as a community need to be more mature than that. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • edited November 2018
    Sobriquet said:
    And we really need to stop with the circular "You did it first so we'll keep doing it until you stop" in a game where people have been playing for 20+ years. It's a habit my kids have broken and surely we as a community need to be more mature than that. 
    Well if your kids broke it before us, and then we do it, doesn't that fall under the same of them doing it first then us doing it? Surely that means we should keep doing what we're doing.

• Damn you and your logic

• edited November 2018
    Truax said:

Kiet said:
    Truax said:
    Syndra said:
    Like I told Truax, you guys stop doing it to us, we'll stop doing it back. It's been a huge issue with Ashtan lately doing the guard thing. The only way to get you to see how much it sucks is to return the favour.

I think what he’s referencing is a “fair fight.” Another rare occurrence in Achaea, but something Ashtan still strives toward, so the conflict is meaningful. Obviously, Mhaldor has a different worldview, favoring “winning” instead, which makes sense but it may also make it the city to get guarded the most. 
    I think this post is a bit naive and biased (though Syndra's was too). Ashtan had 0 intention of engaging Mhaldor for a long time simply because we had Iakimen and a couple of other top tier PKers. We could come in with small groups, large groups, medium groups, but there was an excuse 80% of the time as long as the Iaki crew existed. It's no coincidence that Ashtan got over its 'let's not play with Mhaldor' basically as soon as Iaki (+ friends) was properly inactive again.
    To pretend that Ashtan (like every other city) isn't heavily biased in favor of trying to win would be ignoring how hard it was to get people to fight that specific Mhaldorian crew, regardless of numbers. This is, of course, ignoring the fact that when Ashtan was defending, our 4-trans newbie somehow counted the same as Penwize when they counted numbers. Or the times we brought -exactly- the amount of defenders Ashtan had with fairly even escrow on both sides and we got to sapience-witness people trying to argue they should defend while the others just blatantly wanted to deny Mhaldor a chance of winning at all. It's also ignoring the fact that several of the people who said Mhaldor was being unfair were happy to tag along with Jhui when Mhaldor had like 3 active players and claim that raiding one combatant and a few newbies with Jhui was fair.
    Does this mean Ashtan is Bad or something? No, it means they're just like any other city--less likely to fight if the fight seems difficult. Mhaldor's done this too, and honestly the only city that doesn't back away from fights they don't view themselves as having like 60%+ chance of winning is Cyrene, weirdly enough.
    Like Cooper/Taryius said, everyone judges matchups differently. Almost everytime someone says 'omg you brought too many' (barring stuff like people bringing 15+ people to a city with 4 people on cwho), it's because that person overestimates enemy newbies/midcoms or the enemy leader underestimates their own midcoms/top tiers. Or because one side has no way to know who's AFK for their 9th hour in a row on the other side or logged in from their phone while fighting fighting people in a black friday sale.

If you regularly raided with Ashtan, particularly the Aegeans, you’d know how much restraint is regularly imposed. We go in looking for fights, not automatic wins. 

Not saying that there aren’t times when we want to win and go to great lengths to do so, but I know we like to fight more than we like to guard generally. 
    I don't have to regularly raid with Ashtan, Iakimen's response up there is pretty clear on how untrue that's been at some points. The fact that Ashtan spent months avoiding raids on Mhaldor when it had a lot of its top tier around is more concrete evidence. "They were rude to us" is never the real reason anyone in Achaea avoids conflict--it's just the public-facing one.
    The idea that the Aegeans are uniquely restrained in bringing numbers compared to any other group is ultimately absurd, and something that one could only believe about their own faction. I don't mean this as a call-out, but more that you're looking at thrings from a very limited angle here that's clouding your perception. You don't get to see other cities telling people to not join their raid, and because people will always play the victim, people on your own side are naturally going to imply it doesn't happen.
    I'm sure that in your mind the Aegeans and Ashtan have never shied away from an even fight, but that doesn't really match the view of basically everyone who's not actively within their social circle.
    The reason people keep groups smaller sometimes is never because of some sense of e-honour, either. It's because a) they don't believe they'll get a response if the group gets much bigger or b) because they like trying suicidal odds. Neither of these are limited to any faction, but people will, for instance, lose an 8v3 and assume they were always fated to lose, so b) is obviously untrue. Or they'll have half their city afk, as I said earlier, so when the raiders prepared for 12 defenders there's actually only 6, and somehow they were meant to know this so the defenders start flaming them on warriors or wherever else. This trickles over into the combatants telling the non-coms and mid-coms that 'x city always raids us with like 5000 people so that's why we guard them' and then people just buy into it.
  • I think there should be an autoban feature for people who quote really long, nested posts, and make a really long post of their own.

• it's like 5 seconds of a combat log in length u can deal with it
  • Kiet said:
    it's like 5 seconds of a combat log in length u can deal with it
    Mate.

• Can we stop the blame game that every other city is out to win over fun? For a lot of people, winning is fun, and that’s not city-specific. Some people aren’t masochistic like me in that challenge is my personal “fun”, and even then I’ll back down to easy street if i get frustrated enough as well. Attempting to act like using guards, or relying on guards is a dick move is also stupid, when raiding always prepare for guards and strats involving them. 

A blown tank/disarmed tank is one fight, sometimes the fights don’t go your way, sometimes they do. The only thing people should try to do is ensure they don’t aim to beatdown people ALL the time, as if players feel that when group X attacks it’s always a stomping they’ll refrain from engaging. You don’t have to consider your opponent’s “fun” in every fight, but you HAVE to consider how often they’ve been beaten down, otherwise, you run the risk of burning them out and having no one to play with. This goes for attackers and defenders.
  • Minifie said:
    Can we stop the blame game that every other city is out to win over fun?
    No u.

• Pyori said:
    Minifie said:
    Can we stop the blame game that every other city is out to win over fun?
    No u.
    Ur face is :angry:
  • https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/3b7uHCxG

SOA - Hands down the best Artie you can buy

• edited November 2018
    Truax said:
    Pyori said:
    Iakimen said:
    Truax said:

Yeah. That hasn’t happened in ages. And when it does, it’s usually for the reasons I already mentioned.

Kiet said:
    Truax said:
    Syndra said:

You say this as if every faction doesn't think the exact same thing, which is Kiet's point. Targossas's army channel, PT, or the OOC clan some of us are in constantly have questions of the sort "can another person join this? No, we already have enough." Every city shows restraint in the sense of not bringing every single person they can muster every fight. That doesn't change other people's perception that they're still bringing too many. 

I remember an Aegean raid that started with 3 people, and we defended with our 3 defenders during a down time for Targ, only to have four more raiders added after sanction was obtained. I'm not saying this to throw dirt. Everyone outnumbers everyone else sometimes. I'm just say... You aren't special. You seem to be the victim of a perception bias, like most people.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    And one time, at band camp...

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    And one time, at band camp...
    What happens at band camp, stays at band camp! 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Level 94! At the pace I'm at, if I do 15% per day, I will reach Level 99 by December 26th. Clearly I need to do the last 45% all in one day, just as an early holiday gift to myself. ;)

It feels a bit empty levelling up currently, however, with all 'benefits' of levelling between 80 and 98 rendered null. Which makes the climb just all the more taxing. But hey, I won't let it dissuade me!
  • Ygia said:
    Level 94! At the pace I'm at, if I do 15% per day, I will reach Level 99 by December 26th. Clearly I need to do the last 45% all in one day, just as an early holiday gift to myself. ;)

It feels a bit empty levelling up currently, however, with all 'benefits' of levelling between 80 and 98 rendered null. Which makes the climb just all the more taxing. But hey, I won't let it dissuade me!
    Don't you still get better crits?

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • I ate a lot.
  • Jiraishin said:
    Ygia said:
    Level 94! At the pace I'm at, if I do 15% per day, I will reach Level 99 by December 26th. Clearly I need to do the last 45% all in one day, just as an early holiday gift to myself. ;)

Don't you still get better crits?
    Better crits, lessons, etc.
  • Maybe better in rants and I'm sure that somewhere along the line I will have some kind of blood pressure issues for posting to forums but: https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/FZ3lbqjP

• edited November 2018
    What was the purpose of posting that, exactly? Oh no, I didn't get warned for being in the city as an enemy. Then proceed to try and shit stir by copy pasting my tells everywhere. Are you looking for sympathy? Attention?

eta: Your interaction was far from interesting itself. Expecting Ashtan's MoW to show you any form of courtesy is just plain stupid. You literally noticed the instakill, still sat there and died, and then bitched about it. Lol. Pinnacle of RP.

• edited November 2018
    @Penwize - You might want to typo that last line:

Penwize crashes his crier's bell into your skill, caving it in with a tremendous clang.

And the Deathsight has the wrong Gender:

2018/11/23 07:47:12 - Loudly proclaiming his martial prowess over Eliana, Penwize Baker, the Relentless strikes him down with his bell.

Edit - Typo'd them for you