What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• Cailan said:
    Just need another way to break radiance than simply leaving the area. As it stands you can heavily skew a fight just by starting radiance as your group rushes, forcing one (or more) key fighters out and putting them at a loss with ZERO effort or risk.
    Skew an attacking force's ability to fight by strategically removing their key fighters? I will agree in skirmish scenarios (like Crusades possibly), but the only time a group digs in without being able to move that way is a raid group defending a tank. In that case, we refer back to a defending city doing things to remove attackers. 

Atalkez said:
    My idea was to incorporate a way to combat radiance in particular. Batter/impatience should probably be LoS base s like most everything else, but radiance has to work area wide for it to be what it is.

It would be kind of cool if it was an actual combat within combat. Radiance has a certain length before it completes, and it has stages. So adding an active way to reduce the stage of radiance would be neat. Steel mind or compose or something. So you could stand there and combat it the entire time, leave area to break lock, or have someone else lock you. If you choose to actively fight it, the command would obviously take eq, and would be just fast enough to beat radiance but slow enough to make the person completely occupied with that.
    That could be fun. Both sides having a form of psycombat. Would be interesting to play test with it for speeds, commands, etcetera. The timing would need to be spot on, though, or else the monk and the person being radianced would just stand there off eq forever as they fought each other, and if it was a single (even channeled) command to stop radiance, then it would be easily triggered and the only time radiance would ever work is if it was started mid-movement/fight. 
  • I dont mind telepathy remaining area wide, just saying i would love more counter measures to radiance, other than have a monk or leave.

Ive used radiance in cheesy ways myself. From getting kills by standing a safe distance while my group engaged another, to entering an area and catching someone off guard. It is too easy to do and get away with.
  • Wait a moment... Targossas complains about radiancing over half the city? I have been in two raids of them this week and both times they used that tactic to cheese kills and try sanctions
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Do as I say, not as I do.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Pretty sure we only do it to Hashan on premise because of your monks sitting at crossroads/bank/pavillion and spamming it on us.

Every single raid I've been in they've attempted it lmao.
  • Nymaane said:
    Prythe said:
    I can put an end to the Monk thing by taking on the class.

(Is there a limit to how many classes one may have?)
    There isn't a limit, no. I'm pretty sure @Antonius is every class that is allowed in Targossas.
    Technically the limit is how many classes your faction allows and how many classes you can afford. Fourth class onwards is a touch over 2500 credits worth of lessons (it's somewhere around 15015) each; I think a lot of people stop after three, if they even learn that many, because of the cost involved.

Some classes are mutually exclusive, so if you pick up a Devotion class you can't take Occultist, a Necromancy class or any of the Nature ones. Maximum any one person can have right now is twelve classes (which I have), since while Eleusis gets three factionals, it prevents taking Alchemist, so it works out the same as taking Alchemist plus the two Devotion or Necromancy classes.
  • Antonius said:
    Nymaane said:
    Prythe said:

There isn't a limit, no. I'm pretty sure @Antonius is every class that is allowed in Targossas.
    Technically the limit is how many classes your faction allows and how many classes you can afford. Fourth class onwards is a touch over 2500 credits worth of lessons (it's somewhere around 15015) each; I think a lot of people stop after three, if they even learn that many, because of the cost involved.

Some classes are mutually exclusive, so if you pick up a Devotion class you can't take Occultist, a Necromancy class or any of the Nature ones. Maximum any one person can have right now is twelve classes (which I have), since while Eleusis gets three factionals, it prevents taking Alchemist, so it works out the same as taking Alchemist plus the two Devotion or Necromancy classes.
    This is why escrow bonuses aren't a thing, if they were, toni would have 300% crit and his kai chokes would level cities.
  • I'm miffed that somehow Hashan is being portrayed as the bad guy for using telepathy Radiance in raiding and defending.  :'(
     <3 
  • Minifie said:
    Antonius said:
    Nymaane said:
    Prythe said:

This is why escrow bonuses aren't a thing, if they were, toni would have 300% crit and his kai chokes would level cities.
    and that why escrow bonsuses aren't a thing, otherwise magi's holobomb won't be a holobomb, it's an atomic bomb.

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Mathilda said:
    I'm miffed that somehow Hashan is being portrayed as the bad guy for using telepathy Radiance in raiding and defending.  :'(
    I know Fred referenced Hashan in his first post, but I don't think it's particularly an issue with Hashan.

(You can still be the bad guys for fonting and moving guards when you've got a +50% numbers advantage though :p)
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Psh. Maybe if you look at the full CWHO, yes, but only a third of the citizens are actually happy to duke it out.
     <3 
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Planning events always goes super slow in the beginning, then the craziness multiplies the closer you get to the actual date as people start realising they're not ready and panicking, haha. Not to mention trying to cram in little details missed out the first time around. 

Excited to see it in UPCOMING, can't believe it's been nearly a RL year since the first Convention. Wondering how it will all turn out!
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• See.... everyone bitched about Axestun until it got removed..  You set the precedence, now ALL Y'all's shit is nerfed!   (j/k for the most part)

Honestly, the radiance tactic has been going on for some time.  I remember it being done to me in Azdun as a relative newbie (into combat, maybe level 60 back in the day - so like.. 1998).  It was done to, and by, Shallam with fair frequency.  And it has been done to Eleusis and by Eleusis upon my return from 5 years off.   I honestly like that one ability wasn't nerfed to appease the masses that couldn't be bothered to counter. 

Having most of those skills be area wide, pushed combat imo.  You either had to change tactics and engage, or disengage. It required a greater strategy on both offense and defense to hold/retake an area.  Now if a city doesn't want to defend, they just stay outside the zone.  That makes no sense to me.  Non-coms get to sit back and do nothing still, while their city literally burns, the only difference being that now they don't have to worry about being caught in the crossfire.  Realism-wise, that is ridiculous. I understand the "griefers" argument that would say "if they're griefing, we may not want to participate".  Well that was always the option, show your lack of will by leaving the city.  All they had to do was diminish the returns on long-range attacks.  The greater distance (strongest at 10? rooms, weaker the next 5, weaker still for 5 after that, bottoming out at 50% - with no restriction on distance in an area) because your force had to travel further and dissipated in the ether a bit, just as energy in general does. It would work for all abilities.  Meteors lose damage at greater distance, arrows, telepathy, kai, dragon breath, etc. It would bring the realism of combat back to area-wide conflicts.  I would say telepathy is the easiest one to make this happen.  Just make the mind lock diminish over distance, with a chance of losing lock mid-Radiance and maybe knocking off eq as you try to recover from your failure (so you can't immediately re-do it)

With the BOOST in Depthswalkers, you could even BOOST the attacks, to do 100% (or 75%?) damage over longer ranges but at increased endurance/willpower drains so that eventually if you kept attacking like that, you need to use senastones but using it would still require that you couldn't boost EVERY attack. Those without senastone would have to leave (or die).  It would also push the value of senastone up and cause factions to not necessarily be able afford it to whore out for constant raiding, or limiting it to a few people per raiding party due to the cost.  (There is the issue of crooks and such that would need to be addressed).

Thoughts,  or did I miss this discussion-train already?

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Note: The only depthswalker LoS is in Terminus (so no boosting it), has a 3 room distance limit with no DR, and requires outdoor target.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Rangor said:
    The abilities available to the players will be used to their full potential. There is nothing wrong or new about that.

Yeah. So confused by all this talk of who uses radiance. Last I knew it was a standard tactic as long as you have a monk. That's why one of my reqs for being enlisted is "Know what radiance is and what to do if it's used on you." I don't think it's at all lame to use radiance, and I don't know if Frederich is saying it is or not, but if he is, it's because he's actually very new to raiding (been Cyrenian forever!).

That being said, it's perfectly fine to discuss ways to make an ability less annoying and more fun, without stopping using the ability. Personally, though, I think it's mostly fine as is. I think it serves a unique and useful purpose of making holing up in a guard-surrounded room while holding relics, having contracts on you, etc. not 100% safe.

Maybe make it so some other class can cancel radiance on an ally akin to a monk locking that ally so there's not such a disparity based on whether the team has their own monks, but otherwise it's fine.
  • I've seen the light. By this reasonable defense of area-wide radiance, this paves the way for area-wide/indoor cataclysm to be pushed for. Let's make it happen, folks
    Honestly if the per-target cooldown were changed to be per-monk, it would be a thousand times better.

#RandomUninformedNoncomInput
    Huh. Neat.
  • I'm pretty sure it already is. It's also really bugged (in a way that allows radiance less often, not more). People are just whiners.
    edited February 2017
    Yep, Im dumb.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Note: The only depthswalker LoS is in Terminus (so no boosting it), has a 3 room distance limit with no DR, and requires outdoor target.
    I was referring to how using BOOST changes the effect of the ability slightly, not that DW should be able to boost other people's attacks (would work in this case, but they already have way too much utility) or their attack for LoS specifically.

Yeah, but the only abilities you can boost are Aeonics abilities, so that doesnt really work for other classes, or even DW LoS. And, adding such restrictions to other classes in a different manner seems like overkill, and like it would be extremely difficult to balance class-specific costs. 
    Huh. Neat.
  • A Survival ability that works similar to boost...   so that your damage is less diminished over range.  

edited February 2017
    Yes, but boosting has an associated cost that is class-specific. I guess it could cost mana/end/willpower, but that makes balancing LoS that much more complicated, on top of nullifying most of the LoS nerfs (that were put in place for a reason) and making long-range attack spamming just as effective as it used to be. Not to mention that it will undoubtedly favour some LoS abilities over others, complicating things that much further.

I mean, sure. Its something you -could- do, but Im fairly certain it would do more harm than good.
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited February 2017
    I am simply stating my opinion that a lot of LoS restrictions should be opened back up to area, with diminishing returns based on distance.  You can negate the lesser damage at distance with a "boost"-type effect, but with heavy mana, endurance, and/or willpower cost to prevent it being used nonstop for 2 hours with every single attack to raid.

The reduced damage at distance (imo) would allow for more tactics while also not being so overwhelming, as well as giving citizens room to breathe in a raid by simply moving away further before counter-attacking.  Telepathy would have a much higher chance of failing at distance, kai attacks, cata attacks, meteors would miss/do less dmg, etc.  To the effect that it wouldn't be worth using the boost-effect if the targets are within a ring or two of range, but outside of that, it depends on circumstances and end/wp pools and other decisions.

edit: basically like how it is now, but with extra "layers" of zones at the expense of damage, really.

• I'm content without having all the area wide damage spam anymore. I just like that there's something area wide.

Too much area stuff keeps defenders from being able to group up and even get to the raiders without dying.
  • Daeir said:
    I don't get what's wrong with radiance, tbh. There's a simple solution to it: come with a monk of your own, or have ONE person in the party invest maybe 5 minutes in some telesense announcing. Targossas especially has like the least issue of any faction regarding ferrying people back in (deliverance).

AB MINDCLOAK