House Renaissance

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    What did we decide D:

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Some of the Houses have rather dumb/pointless newbie requirements, I now realize.

One (which shall go unnamed) requires that I collect 200 gold flakes to be given to one of the House aides.  I don't see how this is supposed to help me in any way, there's no RP justification, just "do GATHER CLAY for a few hours and give us everything you earned."
  • tell your patron about it, Bukariin..

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • Kinilan said:
    Bukariin said:
    Some of the Houses have rather dumb/pointless newbie requirements, I now realize.

One (which shall go unnamed) requires that I collect 200 gold flakes to be given to one of the House aides.  I don't see how this is supposed to help me in any way, there's no RP justification, just "do GATHER CLAY for a few hours and give us everything you earned."
    No no, thise deserves a Name and Shame. That's horse shit. You just know, somewhere down the line, some asshole is using this to make a profit for themselves selling inks.
    Don't think that is necessarily true. Could be inks going to a house shop which the funds are used by the house. Still, I agree noobs shouldn't be expected to do something like that (maybe reward them if they do... but not require it.)
  • Bukariin said:
    Kinilan said:
    Bukariin said:
    Some of the Houses have rather dumb/pointless newbie requirements, I now realize.

No no, thise deserves a Name and Shame. That's horse shit. You just know, somewhere down the line, some asshole is using this to make a profit for themselves selling inks.
    Warlocks.  Specifically Khaibit.

Message #2 Sent by Khaibit

9/28/7:12 You are to gather 200 gold flakes, have a look at AB GATHERING CLAY to see how you go about getting those and then deliver then to Ryldagh. The you are to get hold of a journal, they are about 6000 gold, and you are to explore the north, enter the wilderness and using SURVEY you are to find 4 villages in the wilderness map and write a little bit about them. What quests you find, ways to make money, interesting things. You are also to get 10 of every edible cure, alchemical or herbal, I don't mind, and 1 of every liquid vial. Write all these requirements in your journal when you get one.

Obviously having cures is important, but that's right at the bottom of the list next to "prove that you know how to use a journal"

Not surprised it's the Warlocks. They are obsessed with gathering.
  • Never said it did.
  • Even if some tasks may seem questionable I try my best to try and follow the spirit in which they are written. Khaibit's requirements assuming they are hers specifically seem as though she wants you to learn to make gold more efficiently than the average. Anyone can gather flakes as a means of income to contribute to the education your house is about to give you and I know firsthand the areas in the wilderness have proven far more lucrative than the mainland as you rarely have competition hunting and questing.

I can see how as a not-actually-a-real-novice it is easy to call bullshit if you already have an opinion on how your time should be spent. It is also easy for someone to be cynical and think of how she must be trying to exploit your time and effort with gathering and is learning more quest secrets from your efforts. As a real novice I would have not thought twice about those requirements. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt until it becomes clear where their interests lie.
  • Drodak said:
    Even if some tasks may seem questionable I try my best to try and follow the spirit in which they are written. Khaibit's requirements assuming they are hers specifically seem as though she wants you to learn to make gold more efficiently than the average. Anyone can gather flakes as a means of income to contribute to the education your house is about to give you and I know firsthand the areas in the wilderness have proven far more lucrative than the mainland as you rarely have competition hunting and questing.

I can see how as a not-actually-a-real-novice it is easy to call bullshit if you already have an opinion on how your time should be spent. It is also easy for someone to be cynical and think of how she must be trying to exploit your time and effort with gathering and is learning more quest secrets from your efforts. As a real novice I would have not thought twice about those requirements. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt until it becomes clear where their interests lie.
    I'm not complaining about the questing requirement.  This is about making new (HR1) players spend several hours gathering resources for specific House members. 
  • Bukariin said:
    Drodak said:
    Even if some tasks may seem questionable I try my best to try and follow the spirit in which they are written. Khaibit's requirements assuming they are hers specifically seem as though she wants you to learn to make gold more efficiently than the average. Anyone can gather flakes as a means of income to contribute to the education your house is about to give you and I know firsthand the areas in the wilderness have proven far more lucrative than the mainland as you rarely have competition hunting and questing.

I'm not complaining about the questing requirement.  This is about making new (HR1) players spend several hours gathering resources for specific House members. 
    Yeah, that was just my personal opinion after reading the message from Khaibit that was sent to you. I didn't quote you because I wasn't trying to call you out. 
  • edited September 2014
    200 gold flakes?

ROFL

If someone told me to do that when I was first starting the game I would've told them to kick rocks and quit.
  • RyldaghRyldagh Ontario, Canada
    The Warlocks HR1 requirements are to get a mentor, complete some basic tasks set forth by that mentor, complete the achaean history quest, then you're done.  The list of mentors details each person that has put their name forth, as well as their areas of interest/focus.

If the novice in question picked Khaibit, someone who focuses on exploring and making money, but then doesn't like exploring or doing what they can to make money at that level... perhaps the issue is that the novice picked the wrong mentor.

Being one of the people that she sends people to with the flakes, I can tell you that it is a decent source of money for the novice.  I'm not sure about the others she does, but I pay notably above the market value on those flakes.

Is it boring?  Yes.  But is there much difference between moving from room to room and hitting enter on 'gather clay' or moving from room to room hitting enter on 'kill goat/rat' or 'catch butterfly'.

If you have an issue with the tasks given to you by your mentor in a message, feel free to take it up with the Head of Newcomers or a member of the ruling council of your house (In the case of the Warlocks, anyone that is 'High Councilor' or myself, and we can get you a mentor that is better suited to your playstyle.

There are no deadlines set forth on finding a mentor, and people should be more than happy to progress at their own pace.  If you could let me know who is harassing, badgering or otherwise making life miserable for your alt, I can deal with that, too.

Whenever someone asks me to be their mentor, I tell them to give it a couple months (rl days) to make sure, take their time, informed decisions and all that, yadda yadda.  If there are others doing the literal opposite of this, then I need to know who.

I'm entirely aware that this is the house renaissance thread, but have you considered that in a list of however many mentors we have, if one of them is giving a task for gold flakes (Yes, it was just her) and you don't like her tasks, you're also free to pick another mentor?  As of late March (about a half-year ago now) people have been free to pick second, third and even fourth mentors, if they just aren't working out. This is a problem that is already halfway addressed.

But still, I do hope that you've spoken to someone about this in an IC manner, for your alt's sake... HoN or council.  I know this is the first complaint I've heard on the matter (@Austere, you don't count). I don't want anyone in the warlocks to feel put upon with horrid tasks.  This is a game, afterall.  Chinese gold farming is a thing that some people enjoy, but not everyone... not even close.

• I'm bringing this into the open in an OOC fashion mostly because I don't want this complaint to be a reflection of the character in Warlocks (who would not, as an eighteen-year-old, try to throw a wrench in the gears without also having some IC respectability first).  I'm resolving it for the character in an IC fashion, but here, I'm trying to resolve it for other/future players who might judge this game rather unfairly if they were tasked to fill an order for 200 things that aren't exactly easy to collect.
  • edited September 2014
    Eld said:
    I don't remember exactly how bad the rate for gathering flakes is, but I know I never had the patience to gather more than about 100. Even if you think it's going to teach people something important, 200 is a ridiculous amount.
    I just searched through my logs, it looks like (without harvesting gloves or the gathering trait) you have a 20% chance to get a single pile of gold flakes when you successfully gather clay. You get 1-6 clay at a time, so on average, completely filling your rift with clay will get you ~143 gold flakes.

Numbers are from 2011 and might be outdated (because I filled up my rift back then and never had a reason to gather more). That's also with trans gathering, if it matters.

Edit: If those numbers are still accurate, I hope the novice is being paid at least 6k for those 200 flakes.
  • Sena said:
    Eld said:
    I don't remember exactly how bad the rate for gathering flakes is, but I know I never had the patience to gather more than about 100. Even if you think it's going to teach people something important, 200 is a ridiculous amount.
    I just searched through my logs, it looks like (without harvesting gloves or the gathering trait) you have a 20% chance to get a single pile of gold flakes when you successfully gather clay. You get 1-6 clay at a time, so on average, completely filling your rift with clay will get you ~143 gold flakes.

Numbers are from 2011 and might be outdated (because I filled up my rift back then and never had a reason to gather more). That's also with trans gathering, if it matters.

Edit: If those numbers are still accurate, I hope the novice is being paid at least 6k for those 200 flakes.
    That sounds reasonable. I may have had enough patience at some point to collect ~200 flakes, as I do recall stashing a couple rifts worth of clay on a ship after flake-hunting.
  • Could have, you know, talked to me about it before throwing things out on a public forum? I would have explained why it's a task, probably even changed it if you were having that much trouble with it, but that's fine, whatever gets you the most attention on the forums right?

• Like I said before, my character would never do that.  It's not a reasonable course of action for a new character to ICly criticize their House before even getting to HR2.  It's bad RP on many levels.  He's getting his situation fixed ICly.