House Renaissance

Comments

• What happens to House Boards under the new system? I just prefer knowledge not to get lost

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Aliath said:

What happens to House Boards under the new system? I just prefer knowledge not to get lost

@Aliath I think @Tecton said he'd make them available somewhere (if the house gets destroyed/merged) but that it's up to the players to bring it back ingame?

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• AlaricAlaric Canada
    I like rice.

Cahin said:
    Obliterate was a fair and balanced ability and it's removal from puppetry and vodun should have been a crime.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Alaric said:
    I like rice trains.

ftfy

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• @Tecton Will current House leaders become the House leaders of the new Houses? If not, how will you handle choosing new leadership in the more democratic cities?

• Honestly, I'd love to see the serpent Houses (at least one, if not all) turn into high clans, form sort of 'secret societies.'

Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Wei said:
    Deladan said:

How/Why did this turn into a debate about Hashan, and classes. I'm pretty sure that when this thread was created this wasn't its intent. And in all honesty I feel that this thread has outlived its usefulness. As I was told on a thread I tried to create about Hashan. Take it up IG. and then the thread was closed.

Given time, "All threads lead to Hashan."

Hashan is where everything goes to die, including threads.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Jacen said:

@Tecton Will current House leaders become the House leaders of the new Houses? If not, how will you handle choosing new leadership in the more democratic cities?

Not necessarily, we'll evaluate it on a case-by-case basis.

In the event that there isn't a clear person to take over, we may do a couple of things, including putting in a temporary leader to facilitate the changeover with the stipulation that there is an election within some timeframe, or putting all of the possibilities at a certain houserank to work as a development "thinktank", and then do an election or manually set the person who shows the most initiative.

As always, hard to say, they're just some examples of options we -may- take!

• JamethielJamethiel Adelaide
    edited May 2014

@Tecton We need a House Forums - a House of debaters where people can start a topic and then everyone else talks about everything except that topic! Its leader would be called The Fat Controller who would be assisted by a bunch of people whose positions were Tank Engines whose goal would be to attempt to prevent the forum topics, which would be called 'trains of thought' in this new house's jargon, from de-railing...but seriously, I'm not sure what the whole Hashan derailment contributed to this thread.

• Jamethiel said:

@Tecton We need a House Forums - a House of debaters where people can start a topic and then everyone else talks about everything except that topic! Its leader would be called The Fat Controller who would be assisted by a bunch of people whose positions were Tank Engines whose goal would be to attempt to prevent the forum topics, which would be called 'trains of thought' in this new house's jargon, from de-railing...but seriously, I'm not sure what the whole Hashan derailment contributed to this thread.

I am definitely bias since I contributed to the conversation. Tecton said that they weren't giving Hashan/Cyrene a factional class as a part of the renaissance, that means they are thinking about doing it in the future. 

A factional class would be great for them, but Shaman as that factional class when they don't want to be neutral doesn't seem like a good option in my view and many other people who play shaman agreed, not just Bluef and I. 

This is important for Hashan, in my view, because they are restructuring their houses and they need to point themselves in a direction for the renaissance and I hope they saw that if they want to bring Shaman into Hashan they should at least start building their RP or start enforcing the RP of Alchemists, who some people think are in a better position for Hashan. Especially with trade skill separation happening soonish after the Renaissance.

I'm not a leader in Hashan and I can't suggest anything in any which way, yet in my view,  if they want a real factional identity they should build it off the players in that city now and the successful organizations they have available to them through the Renaissance.

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it

It is unavoidable that the Naga will not be retained as a Serpent-only title. That, after all is the whole point of this renaissance - to open up these identities for people based on their roleplay and character, not based on their class. That is, I believe, more of what Florentino meant.

However, if everything goes smoothly, it as a presence is certainly not going anywhere. A lot of this will also depend heavily on the upcoming discussions, so we'll see how that goes.

If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

Have you considered talking to the gods about it. We had a few conversations amongst ourselves and Tecton/Sartan how to make best use of this and came up with some ideas that would really give more incentive into involvement and also much more control and customisability of the type of character you want to play in Mhaldor which I think is the big aim here.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • That's really good to hear, and that's a really good avenue to fix it.  I don't really have any characters in a position to lead on this stuff (and I'm not involved enough that I should anyway), so posting up here is my contribution =).  Sounds like the admin's listening to stuff to really make it work though which is good to hear.

• Achimrst said:

Tecton said that they weren't giving Hashan/Cyrene a factional class as a part of the renaissance, that means they are thinking about doing it in the future. 

So... because A-B = C, then A squared MUST equal Y right??!!

There is no indication whatsoever that they are thinking about doing it in the future. They have a lot of changes coming up they're not gonna bother with it and if they do it'll be far far away.

Not that it wouldn't be awesome.

I am hesitant to hit the post button as I don't want to necro the Hashan bullshit... but whatevs.

*PRESS*

"To thine own self be true."
  • Achimrst said:

Tecton said that they weren't giving Hashan/Cyrene a factional class as a part of the renaissance, that means they are thinking about doing it in the future. 

So... because A-B = C, then A squared MUST equal Y right??!!

There is no indication whatsoever that they are thinking about doing it in the future. They have a lot of changes coming up they're not gonna bother with it and if they do it'll be far far away.

Not that it wouldn't be awesome.

I am hesitant to hit the post button as I don't want to necro the Hashan bullshit... but whatevs.

*PRESS*

You definitely have your math wrong, go back to Trig and rework your equations.

• This could be the opportunity for Mhaldor to become a gleaming, gorgeous (and creepily clean) city of evil, as some have suggested in the past (at the very least Herenicus, and I could swear some others).  But seriously, they could at least get baths where the brothel was (RIP brothel). 

• Jules said:

This could be the opportunity for Mhaldor to become a gleaming, gorgeous (and creepily clean) city of evil, as some have suggested in the past (at the very least Herenicus, and I could swear some others).  But seriously, they could at least get baths where the brothel was (RIP brothel). 

Or force the Mhun slaves you accumulated to fix it, come on guys use your imagination. We live in a world of text.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    > @Mishgul said:
    > Have you considered talking to the gods about it. We had a few conversations amongst ourselves and Tecton/Sartan how to make best use of this and came up with some ideas that would really give more incentive into involvement and also much more control and customisability of the type of character you want to play in Mhaldor which I think is the big aim here.

It would be awesome to have this kind of opportunity ICly. We're just a city with multiple house patrons and I'm afraid to bug @Tecton outside of this thread because I'm sure he's getting his inbox filled these days. That and I feel like there are probably people phoning in and asking for ridiculous things. We all want things a perfect way and our way, but I'm not going to pain Tecton to accomplish it. That being said, I can't wait to talk to our HL ICly about it and make ludicrous demands. <3 You @Sybilla‌!
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited May 2014

Great to see Houses getting some attention, excited to see where it will go, but also a bit worried.  If the thread can be rescued from repetitive gifs and Bluef (she's like Beetlejuice but you only have to say Shaman once and SHE APPEARS), my comments/questions would be:

• this is a real shame for single class Houses which have been one of the big success stories of the post-autoclass world.  I can't really see a compelling reason for removing them (yes, everything becomes the same structurally - but why is that a good thing?  Surely the aim is to create something good and if you already have something good why not just tweak it instead of burning it down?)
    • I have a huge fear that this might turn into doing something for the same of doing something.  "Fix Houses" is on the great Tectonic-Sarapine white board and needs to be ticked off.  Why is moving to a forced triple House/multiclass structure a good thing?  How does it help?  I don't feel that any background has been given to that at all.  It's change, yes, that's good, but what motivates the replacement?  What problems does it fix?  How does it increase House relevance, and decrease internecine conflict?
    • One of the stated aims for the Renaissance is to reduce House/city conflict.  That's great, it really is but unless something is done to make that happen, then wishing won't make it so.  You'll have three new organisations which will become new power bases and new centres for conflict (people are going to be maneouvering already given the massive political shakeup this entails).  Are Houses going to be explicitly tied to the city in some way?  Will this ethos be forced upon them?  If not, then how will conflict be reduced?  A lot of Houses had a kind of combat/philosophy/sneakiness split already - old Shallam, for example and the Houses fought like cat and dog.

I really wish some thought would be given to bigger change than this - something genuinely different.  @Silas raised an interesting point about factional classes/Houses - that'd be huge, and a real chance to bed in the meaningfulness of Houses.

Would be interested to hear other people's thoughts.  I'm super excited that this works, but I am really worried that it's a big structural change that we'll just be talking about changing again in 12 months.  It's new but I can't see how it fixes any of the problems.  Would love to be proved wrong though.

I heard my name called. Sup bitches?

I agree - this "renaissance" is a tragedy for single class Houses. I've read that maybe there is hope for them as High Clans. I'd really like @Tecton to speak to this because the last I heard/was told High Clan applications weren't being considered because of all the other stuff they had going on. If these class-type clans are considered, will that mean that High Clan apps are back under review and, if so, will they go to the front of the line ahead of some other clans who have been in the queue for a while now?

I share your fear too. This new House system smacks of what they already have in Imperian and it's unpopular to say the least. If I want to be a dunestrider, for example, I have to join one of two equally botched cities and believe what they believe and fight for what they fight for and support their...oh wait, the Gods are all dead there now I think. Anyway, no, thanks.

From what I understand of this all so far, cities will drive the ethos of all the Houses. They'll be varying degrees of the same general theme or something. Again, very similar to Imperian. My concern is that this is great for cities with active, younger leaders. But those with people who have been in power forever or who are generally dormant (and pop online to weigh in on things or lead the random raid or two while contributing jack overall) will suffer because in the end the brainz behind the changes will not be the ones living with them in day to day gameplay.

• To have class RP separate from houses sounds nice to me. Cities and houses can focus on other things for the city as a whole and not just the city factional classes.

• Boxes Renaissance

• Tecton said:

CIJ and Merchants will stay mostly the same, we'll open them up to all non-factional classes.

Any thoughts on when we can have this?

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Rispok said:
    Tecton said:

CIJ and Merchants will stay mostly the same, we'll open them up to all non-factional classes.

Any thoughts on when we can have this?

Not until the end at this stage, as Certimene will still be needed until then!